Audio: Fred! praises Ayaan Hirsi Ali

posted at 1:24 pm on March 30, 2007 by Allahpundit

Y’know, America’s been blessed by the good lord with all kinds of resources. Food, wealth, cracker barrels, whittlin’ wood — you name it, you can find it in America. But gosh darn it, if there’s one thing we could use more of, it’s folks with backbone. Folks who’ll stand up when other folks are being put down. Folks like Ayaan Hirsi Ali. Why, I reckon I ain’t seen a woman with her spirit since my old grandma fought off a pack of bluetick hounds trying to get at her plate of biscuits and gravy. Etc etc etc.

Incidentally, there’s a new postscript to last night’s postscript about the Dobson/Thompson contretemps. According to yet another Dobson spokesman:

[A] declaration of Thompson’s religion will not be enough for Dobson, who is viewed as being widely influential with evangelical Christians, a key Republican voting bloc.

“We were pleased to learn from his spokesperson that Sen. Thompson professes to be a believer,” said Nima Reza, a Dobson spokesman. “Thompson hasn’t clearly communicated his religious faith, and many evangelical Christians might find this a barrier to supporting him.”

Exit question: Evangelism or bust?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Heh…I’ll bet half the GOP candidates and none of the Democratic candidates even know who she is.

flipflop on March 30, 2007 at 1:28 PM

Hmmm… interesting… tell me, would you make fun of the way a Black inner city person talks?

Or an illegal Mexican immigrant?

Do you make fun of how the Kennedy’s talk? Or Schwarneger?

Or are you afraid of just how much sense Fred Thompson is making, and thus have to dismiss him with scorn, because you can’t dimiss his views?

Romeo13 on March 30, 2007 at 1:32 PM

I used to listen to Dobson, and I quit simply because my resevoir of righteous indignation doesn’t run that deep.

Never heard of her.

CurtZHP on March 30, 2007 at 1:32 PM

AP, you didnt mention grits in there, so that’s hardly southern talk. You should be ashamed.

lorien1973 on March 30, 2007 at 1:33 PM

Or an illegal Mexican immigrant?

Do you make fun of how the Kennedy’s talk? Or Schwarneger?

Uh, probably, yes.

amerpundit on March 30, 2007 at 1:34 PM

Do you make fun of how the Kennedy’s talk? Or Schwarneger?

Er, yes. In fact, I’ve got a video that makes fun of Schwarzenegger queued up for this afternoon sometime.

Stop acting like such an aggrieved, thin-skinned little baby. You want to make fun of Giuliani’s New York accent? Have at it.

Allahpundit on March 30, 2007 at 1:34 PM

I mean about the way people talk.

amerpundit on March 30, 2007 at 1:35 PM

He did get hounds in there, though. That counts for something.

Slublog on March 30, 2007 at 1:35 PM

Exit question: Evangelism or bust?

i think you mean: Fred or Bust?

he’s the only guy out there worth voting for right now.

Unfortuantly he has a southern accent and therfore has no chance of winning.

Too bad he couldnt be a nice NE RINO or something. Those guys are a LOCK to win on the national level.

amish on March 30, 2007 at 1:35 PM

AP, agreed. We make fun of political correctness, but when it comes to Fred! Thompson, then you need to be pc? I don’t think so.

amerpundit on March 30, 2007 at 1:36 PM

Exit question: Evangelism or bust?

No, Allah. We are not robots waiting on orders from the mother ship.

And the cracker barrel schtick is getting old. Seriously.

spmat on March 30, 2007 at 1:36 PM

Romeo13- Yes, I make fun of the way they speak, what about it? And what does it have to do with the point that AP made?
And where did AP dismiss Fred? For the past week he has done anything but heap scorn upon him.

Pam on March 30, 2007 at 1:37 PM

You want to make fun of Giuliani’s New York accent?

New York accent? Blasphemy. We talk real normal like, its all dem other mooks that don’t talk right.

Number 2 on March 30, 2007 at 1:37 PM

Allah goes after his accent, not his views. He’s done nothing but praise Fred!’s views.

amerpundit on March 30, 2007 at 1:40 PM

Start making fun of how Mexicans talk or start speaking in Jive every time theres a post about Jesse Jackson and see how long it takes you to get banned.

All political correctness must die.

p.s. amerpundit – your site doesnt isnt displaying properly on my PC. Just a heads up.

amish on March 30, 2007 at 1:40 PM

Sorry, but I think Romeo13 has a point.

Matticus Finch on March 30, 2007 at 1:41 PM

We talk real normal like, its all dem other mooks that don’t talk right.

What was that? Pidgin? German? Greek?

:-)

Slublog on March 30, 2007 at 1:42 PM

As a born again believer, I think Mr. Dobson better start worrying more about what will happen to this Country if Hillary is the next President, with liberals running the show in Congress…

NRA4Freedom on March 30, 2007 at 1:44 PM

Fred! Please run for POTUS. This country needs you.

Yakko77 on March 30, 2007 at 1:44 PM

After listening to that the only question remaining is Rudy/Fred or Fred/Rudy?

Oh and…Newt for SecState!

liberrocky on March 30, 2007 at 1:44 PM

amish,

agreed all PC must die. No argument.

What part of my site isn’t displaying properly?

amerpundit on March 30, 2007 at 1:45 PM

Lemme translate: Kiss The Don’s ring, or your political career sleeps with the fishes, Freddie. Seriously, we mean it, we’re getting pissed. Quit Laughing. Hey, where are you going, come back here, HEY, pay attention to MEEEEEEEEeeeeeeee!!!!!!!

—–

and Romeo,

Lighten up, Francis.

Bad Candy on March 30, 2007 at 1:46 PM

amish, BTW I’d attack their accents, but I’m too busy trying to understand their line of reasoning.

amerpundit on March 30, 2007 at 1:46 PM

hey Dobson

From all of us non christian republicans
How about a nice big glass of shut the bleep up?

Defector01 on March 30, 2007 at 1:46 PM

For every Evangelist you kick, I’m going to kick 3.

“Squar in teh NUTS.”

Feel grateful Fred hasn’t used his psionic powers to melt your brains. He’s our only hope against giant robot Michael Jacksons.

Ringmaster on March 30, 2007 at 1:48 PM

Stop. Dissing. Fred…!

Show a little respect for the next President of the United States (lemme dream, eh?)

JetBoy on March 30, 2007 at 1:48 PM

Ah….my Fred!fix…..
Sure beats the hell outta that Riverhog you put up from the View everyday.

Limerick on March 30, 2007 at 1:49 PM

Defector01,

Yeah, how about the Jewish Republicans? There are plenty of them, does that not make them Conservative enough?

amerpundit on March 30, 2007 at 1:50 PM

The rest of you lighten up too. C’mon, its funny. It really is Allah, don’t be squeamish about it because some have their Outrage! generators cranked to 11.

Bad Candy on March 30, 2007 at 1:51 PM

and Romeo,

Lighten up, Francis.

Great line from a great movie, but Romeo has a point. For instance, last week when Obama was laying the southern accent on a little thick, did we see:

Why, I reckon I ain’t seen a woman ho with her spirit mojo since my old grandma mammy fought off a pack of bluetick hounds pit bulls trying to get at her plate of biscuits and gravy chitlins and watermelon. Etc etc etc.

Nope, didn’t see that. Why? Because it’s all right to lampoon caucasions. Hey, that’s fine with me, but let’s admit it at least.

Again, Romeo has a point.

Matticus Finch on March 30, 2007 at 1:51 PM

amerpundit

Using IE, everything on your site is displayed in a long column. I dont see any posts either. Just the straw poll, blog roll etc.

In Firefox everything is normal.

amish on March 30, 2007 at 1:56 PM

How about a nice big glass of shut the bleep up?

Word.

Enrique on March 30, 2007 at 1:58 PM

I am a evangelical Christian and if Fred runs I am voting for him all the way. The man talks sense and you can actually understand what he saying (no doublespeak).

djohn669 on March 30, 2007 at 1:59 PM

amish,

Thanks. I’ll try to fix that.

amerpundit on March 30, 2007 at 1:59 PM

Word.

are you making fun of black people Enrique? If that is your real name…

RACIST!!

amish on March 30, 2007 at 2:00 PM

Bad Candy on March 30, 2007 at 1:51 PM

When he’s funny, I give props. This joke was sorta funny the first few times. It’s just lame now. Most folks in the South might share Fred’s accent, but very few of them have any idea what a cracker barrel is (other than a restaurant).

It’s an unfunny stereotype because there’s no truth to it. Or truthiness.

spmat on March 30, 2007 at 2:03 PM

One form of propoganda, which has been around for ages, is to make someone into a characature of a stereotype.

You are making people with a Southern accent sound stupid, by overemphasizing their way of speaking, and by the fact that Fred Thompson does have a southern accent, attempting to make the arguement that he is, therefore, stupid.

I see no discussion of what he says in your post, only how he speaks.

Your lack of PC arguement is the equivalent of those who feel they should burn the flag, because they have a right to. You don’t have to do somthing, just because you can.

Thompson/Gingrich 08.

/out

Romeo13 on March 30, 2007 at 2:04 PM

Who the freak do these people think they are??? Dobson and his capos are just aggravating the mistake they made the other day and are going to turn off a lot of people by pretending they are the final authority of who is and who isn’t a true Christian.

I know some of his defenders will come on here and tell us about all the good things he’s done, and I’m sure he has, but he’s in danger of undermining himself now by acting like a flamingly intolerant asshole.

thirteen28 on March 30, 2007 at 2:07 PM

thirteen28:

Agreed. There’s only one judge of who is or is not a Christian, and it ain’t James Dobson. I hope Mr. Dobson keeps talking because it does nothing but shrink his stature while increasing Fred!’s.

Matticus Finch on March 30, 2007 at 2:10 PM

No, he’s arguing that Fred’s accent grates on him. He’s done nothing but post audio of Fred, and talk about how “red meat” it is, and how Fred! is a tough guy, with great ideas. No one has argued, by any means, that Fred! is stupid, or that people with Southern accents are stupid.

amerpundit on March 30, 2007 at 2:11 PM

I’m a Christian, and know a good person doesn’t have to be a Dobson Approved Christian ™ in order to be a good person.

The more self-aggrandizing people like Dobson shut up, the better.

Personally, I think the media overplays the sway people like Dobson has in the evangelical community, and I think it’s because they want GOP candidates to pander to them so then the press can say “Look how far right CHRISTIAN the GOP candidate is!” and thus drive away moderates, non evangelicals, Jews, etc.

linlithgow on March 30, 2007 at 2:11 PM

As a Tufnellian, I take exception to any and all use of the numeric representation of the number eleven aside from that specifically denoted in the Holy Writ.

James on March 30, 2007 at 2:11 PM

Oh, and as far as AP’s lighthearted mocking of Fred’s Southern accent, don’t make much of it. AP’s just jealous ’cause he talks wrong …

Heh!

thirteen28 on March 30, 2007 at 2:13 PM

Exit question: Evangelism or bust?

I thought we were to trying to get away from religious extremism?

Call it what you like, it’s still extremism.

Kini on March 30, 2007 at 2:19 PM

James Dobson is starting to annoy me – I think his 15 minutes are up now.

jeffshultz on March 30, 2007 at 2:19 PM

Fred Thompson in 08

Guilani for Attorney General

Romney WHO?????????

Kevin43 on March 30, 2007 at 2:20 PM

Alright, so he overdid it with the cracker barrel. So tell him the cracker barrel joke is old and rework the joke before he turns into Sean Hannity with his repetitiveness.

Don’t blame the Deity for PC culture, he can’t control it, he just lives in it like you and I. Sorry, but if you can’t laugh at yourself and indulge in the most obnoxious stereotypes about you once in a while, you’ll just be miserable.

We should be OUTRAGED!!! (TM) at the Reagan slasher movie, because it fits all the worst stereotypes that liberals have of cons, that we’re criminally insane violent and hateful, and would love to mercilessly slaughter every hippie that we could swing an axe or fire a gun at the first chance we got. But its not offensive, its funny.

Bad Candy on March 30, 2007 at 2:20 PM

…and would love to mercilessly slaughter every hippie that we could swing an axe or fire a gun at the first chance we got.

Wait…we’re not?

Note to self: change weekend plans.

James on March 30, 2007 at 2:22 PM

But its not offensive, its funny.

I especially love the tagline: “On 4-20, Hippie blood will trickle down”

Hee..

Slublog on March 30, 2007 at 2:23 PM

Wait…we’re not?

Note to self: change weekend plans.

James on March 30, 2007 at 2:22 PM

See what I mean?

That is a great line Slubbo.

Bad Candy on March 30, 2007 at 2:26 PM

I wish I’d made it up (or was funny enough to make stuff like that up).

Slublog on March 30, 2007 at 2:27 PM

Enrique, you’re sooooo funny. Don’t focus on the word “glass”, given that it’s Friday…afternoon :)

Unfortuantly he has a southern accent and therfore has no chance of winning.

amish on March 30, 2007 at 1:35 PM

How come? Mr. Clinton won. He’s not accent-free, whatever that might mean.

Schwarzenegger has bigger problems than his accent, which he materializes from. He alos has opportunities, going after Diane Feinstein’s job being one of them.

I have a slight Swedish accent (not from Sweden) and you can make fun of it all you want.

Entelechy on March 30, 2007 at 2:31 PM

I totally agree, BC. I’m not offended at all. Hey, Fred!’s back porch country drawl is part of his charm. He sounds like a sage old uncle. In fact, how about “Uncle Fred!”

I just think that Romeo’s comment about it was valid as it concerns PC. I didn’t mean to pee in the punch. Now, could you pass the collard greens and cut me off another slice of johnny cake?

Matticus Finch on March 30, 2007 at 2:35 PM

Texans don’t have an accent so I’ll stay out of this fight.

In the future I will try to say things in MetroTexican…maybe that will smooth things out….

Run Fred!, run!

Limerick on March 30, 2007 at 2:40 PM

Matticus Finch on March 30, 2007 at 2:35 PM

Heh, I’m actually a damn yankee. How bout some scrapple and a slice of shoo-fly pie?

Bad Candy on March 30, 2007 at 2:43 PM

Scrapple? Shoo-fly pie?

Uh, oh…I think we have one of those Amish types in our midst.

Slublog on March 30, 2007 at 2:46 PM

I’m going to stop watching The Beverly Hillbillies until I’m allowed to make fun of the way black people talk.

Someone has to take a stand!

John from WuzzaDem on March 30, 2007 at 2:46 PM

See, that’s what I like about him too personality-wise, which is why I don’t mind Allah making those jokes.

Bad Candy on March 30, 2007 at 2:48 PM

Someone has to take a stand!

John from WuzzaDem on March 30, 2007 at 2:46 PM

HAHAHAHAHA! Bullseye!

Bad Candy on March 30, 2007 at 2:49 PM

Someone has to take a stand!

ACCENTIST!

I demand an end to this insidious vernacularism!

Slublog on March 30, 2007 at 2:53 PM

Scrapple? Shoo-fly pie?

Uh, oh…I think we have one of those Amish types in our midst.

Slublog on March 30, 2007 at 2:46 PM

Nah, I figured I’d throw you knuckleheads a gimme as to my region, I figured you don’t get more PA than that.

I’m not Amish, or ex-Amish, or even PA Dutch for that matter, but I do like pie.

Anyone up for a cheesesteak or a pretzel? Yeungling? And, no not from Philly…thank God.

Bad Candy on March 30, 2007 at 2:54 PM

-I’m -not from Philly. God, I’m rambling like crazy.

Bad Candy on March 30, 2007 at 2:55 PM

My wife’s family is from Lancaster County, so it was pretty easy. She introduced me to the fried pieces of pure heaven that is scrapple. Egad, I love that stuff.

Slublog on March 30, 2007 at 2:56 PM

You can mock southern accents, just don’t one a fag or critisize his books or you will incure AP’s wrath. Mock all or none.

TheBigOldDog on March 30, 2007 at 2:59 PM

She introduced me to the fried pieces of pure heaven that is scrapple.

You forgot healthy.

Bad Candy on March 30, 2007 at 3:07 PM

After listening to that the only question remaining is Rudy/Fred or Fred/Rudy?

Oh and…Newt for SecState!

liberrocky on March 30, 2007 at 1:44 PM

That’s no question at all. I’m quickly approaching a point where I wouldn’t vote for anyone but Fred!. First of all, there are too many things about Rudy that make me leery about going with him, especially if there’s a better choice.

As far as AP’s mockery of southern accents (the best one you could hope to have, by the way), it could be worse, he could still be doing that ‘comes a man’ crap. I do realize, though, that he only stopped doing that because Tancredo hasn’t been in the news recently.

Wolfman on March 30, 2007 at 3:09 PM

What’s that Fred said??? Kirstie Alley can’t leave her house w/o a guard!!!!!!!!!

Allah-repugnant, get over it. Your horse pull up lame!

GOP Bloggers March Straw Poll to date:

T. Thompson 62 (0.7%)
Gilmore 28 (0.3%)
Pataki 17 (0.2%)

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on March 30, 2007 at 3:15 PM

Thompson/Watts ’08

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on March 30, 2007 at 3:21 PM

AllahPundit is a southern-bashing, elitist tool.

Sugar Land on March 30, 2007 at 3:32 PM

I’ll bet…none of the Democratic candidates even know who she is.
flipflop on March 30, 2007 at 1:28 PM

Of course they do. She’s a woman with a powerful personal story. But, you know, she should, like, tone it down a little, because that kind of stridency and judgementalism is just not bringing us together and increases Islamophobia.

eeyore on March 30, 2007 at 3:34 PM

if we make fun uf how someone talks
that wuld b mean
hoever mocking typing of the crazy lady
is ok in my book
or r u thinkin differntly

gekkobear on March 30, 2007 at 3:34 PM

How is that southern-bashing?

Slublog on March 30, 2007 at 3:38 PM

Hey, Rosie O took gekkobear’s account! WTF?

Heh, nicely done dude.

Bad Candy on March 30, 2007 at 3:39 PM

I’m glad Californian’s have no discernible accent of any kind.

Coyote D. on March 30, 2007 at 3:42 PM

I’m so dissappointed in ya’ll. Not one mention of ice cold sweet tea. mmmmmmgood.

KelliD on March 30, 2007 at 3:45 PM

Y’all best behave, and be on your best manners, or you ain’t gonna get an invite to the “sour mash BBQ” with the Mrs.

Now, settle on down, pull up a pew, throw a sprig of mint in your julip, and enjoy the breeze on this fine day.

If it ain’t broke, don’t get busy trying to fix it.

God willing and the river don’t rise, things will work themselves out……….

PinkyBigglesworth on March 30, 2007 at 3:47 PM

I’m so dissappointed in ya’ll. Not one mention of ice cold sweet tea.

The sweet tea was the -best- part about living in GA. Other than that, I hated atlanta. I’m glad we can buy sweet tea everywhere in florida now.

lorien1973 on March 30, 2007 at 3:48 PM

Look, I’ve got a Southern accent, though originally from New York. I don’t see the issue here.

What I am surprised about, is that Giuliani is still pulling in second, before Newt and the rest.

amerpundit on March 30, 2007 at 3:48 PM

Nima Reza: “All James Dobson requires is this: a simple offering of clearly-communicated religious faith. A token of Fred!’s submission to the will of Dobson.”

Fred!: “Submission…Well, that’s a bit of a problem.”

Looks like Fred! can forget about getting Slublog’s Dobson Seal of Approval
(TM) anytime soon.

ReubenJCogburn on March 30, 2007 at 3:52 PM

Fred Thompson hasn’t announced any plans to run yet, but he does understand two very important issues – immigration and islamofascism (as in the audio from Paul Harvey’s stint.

Interestingly, I came across this (dated November 30, 2005) recommendation by one of the most respected anti-jihad pundits online, Hugh Fitzgerald of Jihadwatch.org

As for Congress, there are those who stand out, and those who don’t. At the moment, Tom Tancredo stands out. Henry Jackson stood out. Fred Thompson, that excellent Senator from Tennessee, finally could not stand the place and left for -for Hollywood semi-unknown stardom. I wish he’d come back and run. And you know what they say — “when you wish upon a star….”

heroyalwhyness on March 30, 2007 at 3:55 PM

Texans don’t have an accent so I’ll stay out of this fight.

Run Fred!, run!

Limerick on March 30, 2007 at 2:40 PM

No, y’all sure don’t, pardner.

Rick on March 30, 2007 at 4:06 PM

Hey, Rosie O took gekkobear’s account! WTF?

Heh, nicely done dude.

Bad Candy on March 30, 2007 at 3:39 PM

How is it that Rosie ends up on every thread now? I blame Allah’s and Ian’s crush on her.

Rick on March 30, 2007 at 4:10 PM

As far as I’m concerned Allah can make fun of Thompson’s accent as long as he continues to post Thompson’s audio clips and get his name out.

Buzzy on March 30, 2007 at 4:29 PM

Personally, I think that Rev. Dobson is going down the trail blazed by Rick Warren. Next thing you know, he’ll want to have a meeting Bashar Al-Assad. Maybe he should take some time out and meditate on the sin of pride.

gmaninatl on March 30, 2007 at 4:49 PM

Here’s a nice Fred! write up from Mark Alexander.

Ideally, I’d still love to see Gingrich get the nod. Thompson would do much better in the general election though.

MT on March 30, 2007 at 4:58 PM

How is it that Rosie ends up on every thread now?

Because she bathes in the moisture of my soiled and bloodstained underwear?

Matticus Finch on March 30, 2007 at 5:05 PM

Allahpundit on March 30, 2007 at 1:34 PM

You know Allah we do not always agree, yet I consider you an intellectually honest person 99.99% of the time. When you post Schwarzenegger clip will it be as belittling with a slight hint of contempt as your mockery of “Fred!” You have told on yourself in an earlier post that you find Fred’s accent distasteful and this post makes clear what you hear when he speaks…

Theworldisnotenough on March 30, 2007 at 5:15 PM

I read her book in 48 hours. It was inspiring, touching, humorous, sad and a whole lot of scary. My husband has said for years that if Islam is to change it will be by the Muslim women. Ayaan Hirsi Ali and others like Bridgette Gabriel and Nonie Darwish (also great reads), just to name a few, are leading the charge. God Bless them all, and may He keep them safe and strong.

silenced majority on March 30, 2007 at 5:21 PM

No, it won’t. Am I obliged to be equally “belittling with a slight hint of contempt” with everyone I criticize?

Notice that for all the goofing I do on John Edwards, I never make fun of his southern accent. Why? Because it’s not Fred’s accent that I find humorous and a bit grating. It’s the calculated cornpone image. Dan Rather gets the same kind of abuse from people in spades when he resorts to one of his heavy-handed folksy faux-populist colloquialisms. I wonder how many of our commenters would have a problem with me goofing on Rather. Very few, I suspect. Which proves that it’s not the joke here at all that’s bugging anyone, it’s the fact that Fred is the butt of it.

Allahpundit on March 30, 2007 at 5:30 PM

AP:

Is it absolutely necessary to include an exclamation point after every use of the word “Fred”? I swear to God, I’ll have to quit reading this blog if that’s going to be standard practice. There’s no more irritating punctuation symbol in the entire English language than the exclamation point, especially one that is overused like Hot Air is doing. Thanks “!” for the consideration.

dhawbake on March 30, 2007 at 5:44 PM

Unfortuantly he has a southern accent and therfore has no chance of winning.
amish on March 30, 2007 at 1:35 PM

Um, I take it you’ve never heard Bush speak. Or Clinton. Or Carter.
We Southerners couldn’t care less if people make fun of our accents (Lord knows y’all yankees talk funny). But we hate it when people like Hils affect one for us commoners.

Allahpundit on March 30, 2007 at 5:30 PM

I agree, he lays it on a bit thick.

SouthernDem on March 30, 2007 at 5:47 PM

Because she bathes in the moisture of my soiled and bloodstained underwear?

Matticus Finch on March 30, 2007 at 5:05 PM

Something you aren’t telling us, Matticus? It appears you have been hanging around with Sean Penn, and that is unacceptable – wait until Lord Rove hears about this.

Rick on March 30, 2007 at 5:47 PM

Actually, speaking for myself, it has more to do with your liberal Northeast sensibilities about who can be mocked and who can’t. I could care less that Fred happens to be your target. I just don’t think you’d dare turn that pen on any member of a liberal protected class. I only see you taking shots at safe targets. Maybe I’m wrong. I come and go.

TheBigOldDog on March 30, 2007 at 5:57 PM

I may be naive, AP, but I think the difference between Rather and Fred is that Fred actually is a lot cornpone. When Dan hangs out with his (I want to add “fancy-pants”) friends, that Texas Twang stuff is go-o-o-ne. But I suspect if you catch Fred alone with friends, he may not do the studied cadence, but it’s going to sound pretty much the same. Sam Ervin was the same way. He really did talk like that – tho he did push that “I’m just a country lawyer” stuff a tad hard.

And I don’t think it will go away. I’ve never met anyone who’s gone into radio or acting who ever went back to mumbling words together or dropping the ends off words or sentences.

eeyore on March 30, 2007 at 7:10 PM

I question the math.

John from WuzzaDem on March 30, 2007 at 9:03 PM

Another strain of Godwin’s law at work

Too tired to argue? Call your opponent a ‘liberal’.

So with that in mind.. I like Fred.
But if people are going to get this emotional and touchy about people who poke fun at him, perhaps these people joined the wrong party..

Reaps on March 30, 2007 at 9:47 PM

Proves what? I could careless that you make “Fred!” the butt of your jokes. My issue is that your defense there of was disingenuous. You have a dislike for the image that is created in your mind when you hear “Fred!” speak and it is reflected in your posts. People being upset because “Fred!” is the butt of your jokes is in no way relevant to your motivation.

It’s the calculated cornpone image.

Allah, who really talks like that? Fountain drink from the gas station? Come on…

So what is it that you don’t like the cornpone, or the suppossed calculation?

Theworldisnotenough on March 30, 2007 at 11:09 PM

I like how original it is to make fun of southerners…

mbredmond on March 31, 2007 at 8:37 AM

Looks like Someone needs to send AP this book. Maybe then he can larn how to talk raht.

Random Numbers (Brian Epps) on March 31, 2007 at 10:38 AM

He might be a little heavy-handed with the aw shucks bit, but “rose like cream” — that’s a great line.

Tanya on March 31, 2007 at 11:15 AM