Video: President Bush knocks ‘em dead Updated with better video

posted at 1:52 am on March 29, 2007 by Bryan

Michelle and I were the guests of the Christian Broadcasting Network at the Radio and TV Correspondents Association Dinner in DC tonight. Highlights for me include meeting Bill O’Reilly and E. D. Hill (giving away where we spent the cocktail hour) and meeting US Army soldier Jacque Keeslar and his lovely wife Vanessa. And the prime rib, and just getting to enjoy the spectacle of it all.

Other highlights: The comedy act, two of the cast of Who’s Line Is It Anyway?, was mostly brilliant until the improvs went on a little too long. Taking Laura Ingraham’s advice to just shut up and sing, they just did their thing and made everyone laugh. Who knew that Brian Williams is a walking sound effects library? Or that he has a sense of humor? Or that he can sing Johnny Cash? Allah’s already given you the low-down on MC Rove. That’s David Gregory in the background, dancing very poorly. That was the entertainment highlight. The new JibJab movie was a disappointment.

Here’s most of the President’s speech. The video picks up about a minute in, after he has gone through a list of children’s books he intends to write, with one titled “Who Moved My Presidency?” I shot it with my digital still cam, which is about is good as a bad cell phone camera. So while the quality of the video is garbage and our seats were toward the back, the comedy gold comes through fine anyway. The Prez had his game on.

Update: Courtesy the Pirate’s Cove, here’s a much better version of the speech.

Comments

I love these events – they are the ultimate proof how free and democratic our form of government is.

Thank you Bryan for bringing to us.

Entelechy on March 29, 2007 at 2:08 AM

I just stopped by Drudge to see if he had anything, but alass there was nothing. The old media just can’t keep up I guess :)

- The Cat

P.S. Thanks for taking to the time to post this tonight instead of waiting for the morning.

MirCat on March 29, 2007 at 2:26 AM

The joke about Obama not showing up because there wasn’t enough press was very good. There were some oohs from the audience when he compared Stretch Pelosi with Barbara Bush.

Mallard T. Drake on March 29, 2007 at 2:30 AM

Thank you Brian, I asked on another “thread” where President Bush’s speech was, and now I know why… you guys were there.

A request please, I was watching H&C and they cut live, and carried his whole presentation live…….. I do not wish to see Mr. Rove anymore, but maybe you can get the feed for the bloggers that were sleeping and had to work in the morning, so they can enjoy President Bush’s remarks.

In a room full of people, that want nothing more to see him hanging from a rope, he was polite, generous, thankful, distinguished, respectful, mature, funny, and…… Presidential!

Democrats and the MSM “drive bys”…….. You will not learn from the class of the man you were in the presense of last night………. you will not change….. you “own defeat to our troops”, “defeat to our nation”, “defeat for power”, because you see this war as a “Republican War”, when it is an “American War”…….

Enjoy your “Spring Break”…….. the rest of us that graduated from college and have “real jobs” have to go to work tommorrow…… but we won’t be the one’s waking up with genital warts either….. (that’s right, the virus goes right through condoms)………..HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!

“P.S. Since Genital Warts spread like fleas, start naming them after your favorite Democratic Presidential Nominees…….. “This one is Hillary, … This one is Al Gore…. These three are “Ted Kennedy”…. This pretty one I call “Silky Pony”, …………””

PinkyBigglesworth on March 29, 2007 at 2:35 AM

HaHaHaHa!

I may be the only one who feels this way but I just get a queasy feeling about these eliteist snobs in there tuxedos, sipping their cocktails, chewing on their filet mignon and throwing cute little barbs at one another while our soldiers are shooting and being shot at, groveling in the dirt and eating MREs out of a box.

There they are yacking it up and having a great old time tonight and tomorrow they will be back at work voting to cut off money to our troops, reporting anything they can find that is wrong with this President or this country (true or not) and doing anything they can to bring this country down. By the way, David Gregory is a jerk.

Maybe it is just me but I don’t think it is right!

OBX Pete on March 29, 2007 at 3:12 AM

Pinky: Too much time on your hands.

hillbillyjim on March 29, 2007 at 3:17 AM

President G.W. Bush is a class act.

Bryan, Michelle, how about showing us some snapshots of the crowd???

Zorro on March 29, 2007 at 6:39 AM

We had thoughts similar to yours, OBX Pete. It was surreal here and there. At one point ABC reporter Bob Woodruff got a standing ovation for overcoming injuries he sustained in Iraq. Meanwhile, we had a soldier at our table, Jacque Keeslar, who lost both legs in Iraq and nobody gave him a standing ovation or even any ovation at all. The moment was cringe-inducing to me, so much so that I leaned over to the Keeslar and said “We should be standing up for you.”

Bryan on March 29, 2007 at 9:24 AM

Bryan, glad that you and Michelle had a nice time. But I sorta agree with OBX–seems a bit unseemly to be partying it up while this surge is going on. Maybe I’m just being too sensitive or maybe I’m just fed up with this Admin. More and more it seems that our government is increasingly out of touch with the people that pay their salaries.

robblefarian on March 29, 2007 at 9:38 AM

Anyone got a transcript? It takes too much effort to understand what he’s saying from that horrid video.

Darth Executor on March 29, 2007 at 9:47 AM

I don’t think all fun should cease in a time of war or anything like that. I don’t even think all of Washington should adopt a somber tone all the time, especially if they’re faking it. On the other hand, for Pelosi (whose speech was so dreadful that she lost the audience halfway through, btw) to sit there and yuck it up while she’s been wrecking the war hit me from a bad angle. And the media’s self-congratulation got a little thick.

Bryan on March 29, 2007 at 9:55 AM

Nvm on the transcript, second video is much better.

Darth Executor on March 29, 2007 at 10:01 AM

robblefarian on March 29, 2007 at 9:38 AM

You hit the nail on the head robblefarian. They are soooo out of touch that it is frightening.

I wasn’t suggesting that people should not party and have a good time during these troubled times. I think that what got me upset was that the same people who got us into this mess and the ones who are trying to make sure that we lose are the same people who were on stage showing their stuff.
I just can’t get our soldiers out of my mind.

OBX Pete on March 29, 2007 at 10:21 AM

And if I had to guess, Bryan, I’d wager that Keeslar said something like “Oh, I wouldn’t want that” if a reserved, maybe shy voice.

dalewalt on March 29, 2007 at 10:44 AM

Bryan on March 29, 2007 at 9:24 AM

Bryan, may I ask what he replied? I am so happy that you said that him. I would give them all a standing ovation, these fine men and women. They are the real heroes.

Glynn on March 29, 2007 at 10:46 AM

I just can’t get our soldiers out of my mind.

OBX Pete on March 29, 2007 at 10:21 AM

Neither can I.

Glynn on March 29, 2007 at 10:46 AM

OBX Pete

I agree with you 100%. I think the founders of this country would be disappointed to see the President of the United States try to be a comedian reading jokes that somebody else wrote for him to the media elite that feed at the trough of big Government.

I have never understood why anyone cares about this annual media event.

ScottyDog on March 29, 2007 at 10:49 AM

Despicable is the word. These people never learn, they have blinders on for what they don’t want to see or doesn’t fit their politics. What a waste of space.

tormod on March 29, 2007 at 11:09 AM

And I agree with you, Bryan. I’m sorta on the fence on this. You’re right–we shouldn’t stop having fun, but I suppose it is the allusion that nothing is getting done in this country. Up against the backdrop of these media events, it just doesn’t seem right. Especially when the confidence in the President is so low and the confidence in the congress is even LOWER. Increasingly, our politicians see themselves as rockstars unbeholden to their constituents.

robblefarian on March 29, 2007 at 11:13 AM

Hey Bryan,

Thanks for the post. Great job.

Here is a better video that pans the audience and shows Nancy Pelosi’s reaction to Bush’s joke.

angryamerican on March 29, 2007 at 11:16 AM

I think it’s obvious president Bush is a great PERSON, but he’s not a great politician. I still don’t think he “gets” that 98% of the people in that room HATE him and would laugh at his death.

Or maybe I’m a jaded or cynical conservative.

SouthernGent on March 29, 2007 at 12:37 PM

Bryan,

I am sooo jealous. You get invited to all the cool parties.

All,

There is a better quality video at C-SPAM

dinasour on March 29, 2007 at 1:08 PM

He gets scruteneered everyday! Ha Ha Ha

sonnyspats1 on March 29, 2007 at 1:29 PM

I’m surprised Cindy Sheehan wasn’t invited.

Entelechy on March 29, 2007 at 1:52 PM

BBC has now gotten a hold of this. Video included

William Amos on March 29, 2007 at 2:34 PM

To those who only see the negative aspects of the gala affair and president Bush’s attempt on humor, lighten up.
Humor is important for a balanced life as in self-deprication which keeps the ego in check. That’s one of the things that make us different from muslims and leftists who either never had a sense of humor or who lost it to the severity of frantical dogms.

docdave on March 29, 2007 at 2:47 PM

H&C had better video… any chance you’re gonna dig that out? I imagine it was pulling C-Span video, not sure… but it was great because they showed members of the audience, Pelosi, etc. What I find obnoxious is that Democrats sit there laughing along with his jokes, while spending the rest of their time saying he’s the anti-Christnon-religious figure. I’m quite sure I saw Howard Dean there yucking it up to one of Dubya’s jokes.

And where are the libs shouting that Bushs shouldn’t do events like this while troops are in the field. That’s what has happened in years past. I’m sure the always outraged left is throwing a fit somewhere, but I just haven’t seen it yet.

RightWinged on March 29, 2007 at 3:30 PM

Please — careful with the phrase “knocks ‘em dead”! It gives the press ammunition in the debate over Article 2 powers, and how Bush might be using them to obliterate domestic dissent!

Press thought: Are they wargaming in the White House Situation Room who gets Helen Thomas’s seat when she retires?

eeyore on March 29, 2007 at 3:39 PM

he did a very good job, very funny

still no one tops the first lady last year ;)

Defector01 on March 29, 2007 at 5:30 PM