Dobson semi-apologizes to Fred! for claiming he isn’t a Christian

posted at 8:35 pm on March 29, 2007 by Allahpundit

He’s peeved that U.S. News & World Report represented his remarks as a political “snub” when it was nothing of the sort. That’s fine, but that wasn’t what offended people here. The offense came when his spokesman implied that even if Fred!’s a Christian, he’s not Christian “enough.”

Hotline has the complete text, but here’s the meat of it:

With regard to your possible acceptability as a candidate for president, I commended your consistent support of pro-family positions. However, I said while I had no first-hand knowledge of your religious views, I was not aware that you had professed to have made a Christian commitment. If so, I said, that might discourage support from some Christian conservatives. The remarks were not intended to represent either an endorsement of Newt nor a disparagement of you. Instead, as my media representative explained in a follow-up call to the reporter, Dan Gilgoff, the comment reflected my efforts to “read the tea leaves.” Let me say again that I told Mr. Gilgoff I had never met you and didn’t know if my understanding of your personal faith was accurate or not. What he wrote was quite the opposite.

Here’s how Gilgoff described the subsequent call with the spokesman:

In a follow-up phone conversation, Focus on the Family spokesman Gary Schneeberger stood by Dobson’s claim. He said that, while Dobson didn’t believe Thompson to be a member of a non-Christian faith, Dobson nevertheless “has never known Thompson to be a committed Christian—someone who talks openly about his faith.”

“We use that word—Christian—to refer to people who are evangelical Christians,” Schneeberger added. “Dr. Dobson wasn’t expressing a personal opinion about his reaction to a Thompson candidacy; he was trying to ‘read the tea leaves’ about such a possibility.”

Dobson seems to be saying now that he didn’t know whether Fred was a Christian of any stripe. His spokesman seems to have said that he didn’t know him to be a “committed,” i.e., evangelical Christian. Or am I missing something?

I’m the last guy here to whom any of this might matter, so you tell me: is the rift healed now? Apology accepted/all better?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Only in the sense that freedom to practice one’s religion is allowed. The Great Commission does not require legislative support.

Bah…bunged that comment up but good.

Let me try again.

Only in the sense that it took (and still takes) a political process to assure religious freedom. The Great Commission does not require legislative support.

Slublog on March 30, 2007 at 1:57 PM

Slublog on March 30, 2007 at 1:57 PM

To be fair though, we’re sent here for more than just the Great Commission. Jesus also said treat your neighbor as yourself and what you do unto the least of these you have done unto me (I’m not putting it in quotes since I’m not sure I’ve got it exact, but I figure you understand where I’m going).

There are things beyond freedom of religion. When something unjust is being done within our government, I believe as Christians we are called to do something about it, no matter what it is.

Paul himself was a citizen of Rome and worked within the political process as a Christian.

Esthier on March 30, 2007 at 2:09 PM

And you’re right, no matter what the government says, it cannot stop a Christian from following that command. Even if Christianity were made illegal, it would not be stopped.

Esthier on March 30, 2007 at 2:10 PM

I know what you mean. I think even those actions, and speaking out against injustice are a form of evangelism since our purpose in doing them is to point others to the One who leads us to do them.

But I see your point, and it’s a good one.

Slublog on March 30, 2007 at 2:14 PM

Thanks. I don’t think we disagree as much as I initially thought.

Esthier on March 30, 2007 at 2:28 PM

Thanks. I don’t think we disagree as much as I initially thought.

Dang it.

Now we’ll have to go cause trouble in another thread.

Slublog on March 30, 2007 at 2:29 PM

No, but it might be helpful in countries such as North Korea and China

wytammic on March 30, 2007 at 2:40 PM

true.

Esthier on March 30, 2007 at 3:47 PM

An apology of sorts, though it comes from Bryan. Go figure.

wytammic on March 31, 2007 at 12:27 PM