Awesome: Pentagon working on flying saucers

posted at 7:37 pm on March 29, 2007 by Allahpundit

I had a choice of videos: one which shows how this sucker can maneuver or one which doesn’t show much at all but does include a generically cheesy ’80s-ish soundtrack. Naturally, you got the latter.

If you want to see the former, follow the link to Noah Shachtman’s site. He’s got it, plus details about the prototype. It’s small, unmanned, and battery-powered, but have patience, young padawan. You need to figure out paper airplanes before you start thinking about the Airbus.

Comments

We need hovertanks like in Sid Maier’s Alpha Centauri, that would be badass.

That said, looks a bit unstable, which was the problem when the military was experimenting back in the day with saucers.

Bad Candy on March 29, 2007 at 7:44 PM

Hopefully they can get these to work, the potential is fairly big.

Bad Candy on March 29, 2007 at 7:46 PM

Lame, they’re just throwing something out there… but they can do so much more than that.

By the way, they had manned flying saucers decades ago, but they were really shi**y and unstable, and the project was scrapped. But don’t get to excited, they were basically just planes that were shapped like the tradition image you have when you think “flying saucer”… I actually watched a thing on the History channel about it a while back, and saw video of the ridiculously unstable craft (close up, not “UFO video” over Mexico City or something). It’s not a “secret”, more of an embarassment probably.

Anyway, the thing in the video posted here is so loud, etc. I just don’t believe we don’t have much more advanced stuff than that. I’ve even seen something that I believe must be one of many secret military projects. I’m not being a conspiracy theorist, I think it’s logical to assume there are many hundreds of secret projects going on… How else do we stay a step ahead of everyone else? This is nothing new, so don’t think I’m a cook, but I’ve seen a giant black triangle with a few lights around the edges very low (couple hundred feet maybe), silent as far as I could tell, and barely moving if moving at all.

RightWinged on March 29, 2007 at 8:03 PM

Seems a bit loud for a battery powered craft.

Zorro on March 29, 2007 at 8:03 PM

I dunno, instead of trying to make them big enough for human flight, might actually be easier to shrink humans to fit into these small ones.

RW Wacko on March 29, 2007 at 8:04 PM

It looks like a ****ing waste of taxpayer money.

Darth Executor on March 29, 2007 at 8:07 PM

It looks like a ****ing waste of taxpayer money.

Darth Executor on March 29, 2007 at 8:07 PM

Thats just some crap some garage inventor slapped together:

And GFS has inspired a whole community of saucer-builders, at least one of which has gone through some not-inconsiderable flight testing. Here’s some footage from one of those experiments.

Max Power on March 29, 2007 at 8:14 PM

It looks like a ****ing waste of taxpayer money.

Darth Executor on March 29, 2007 at 8:07 PM

Yeah, maybe it seems that way now. But as Mr. Cheesy said, you have to make paper airplanes before you make the Airbus. And *this* is just what we’re seeing.

dalewalt on March 29, 2007 at 8:15 PM

Mr. Cheesy?

Allahpundit on March 29, 2007 at 8:16 PM

B/c you chose the clip with the cheesy soundtrack I would assume. Maybe.

RW Wacko on March 29, 2007 at 8:20 PM

That’s it! That’s the alien space craft I saw in my yard last night! At first, I heard what sounded like a cheap electric weedeater and, as I turned, I was shocked to discover aliens chewing up my crabgrass. Call the FBI!

thedecider on March 29, 2007 at 8:50 PM

dalewalt on March 29, 2007 at 8:15 PM

I think Mr. Cheesy was referring to the fact that the saucer in the video is just a toy. But I honestly don’t see the point in making a flying saucer. Modern aircraft is shaped the way it is for a reason: it’s aerodynamic. Plus, that abomination works by using a propeller. We already have aircraft like that, only it’s less bulky and doesn’t look like it drank a couple of six packs before it took off: the helicopter. I think a much better investment would be massive dirigible aircraft carriers. Especially when fighting low tech stone age scum like Iran.

Darth Executor on March 29, 2007 at 8:50 PM

Mr. Cheesy?
Allahpundit on March 29, 2007 at 8:16 PM

Allap’s a Gouda Boy.

Mazztek on March 29, 2007 at 9:00 PM

Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico or Utah? My guess is Nevada. I’ve heard several eyewitness reports of these things, but then I listen to Coast to Coast AM for laughs. They believe it’s aliens, but they also push the NAU conspiracy pretty hard and 9-11 Trutherism. Often at the same time. Beware the Glooooabaliiiists. Free Trade is the New World Order! Booga, booga, booga!

I wouldn’t be surprised if the “black triangles” turn out to be the new floating aircraft carriers they’re working on. Giant balloons made of some kind of metal alloy and filled with a gas other than helium. They’re supposed to be enormous eventually, but they won’t be deployed until effective defenses have been invented. We’ll see eventually.

The Apologist on March 29, 2007 at 9:14 PM

The Apologist on March 29, 2007 at 9:14 PM

Nah, Rightwinged lives in the Northeast. We’ve all seen some strange craft – even out here in Oklahoma. If it’s not a trick of the eye, then it probably is experimental aircraft. I agree with Randy and would go even further to say that we’d better be working on new technologies if we want to stay ahead of China.

thedecider on March 29, 2007 at 9:22 PM

Allah

How much Aluminum stock do you own and did Michelle make you place it in a blind trust?

EricPWJohnson on March 29, 2007 at 9:34 PM

The Apologist on March 29, 2007 at 9:14 PM

thedecider on March 29, 2007 at 9:22 PM

thedecider is right, I’m in the northeast, however when I saw the triangle I was in Nashville, TN where I lived for 5 years until last summer. It was off the interstate just a bit… At first I thought it was just some lights from the construction being done to the bridge over I-40 at White Bridge road (a pain in the a$$ they’d been working on for a while), but as I got close to the bridge I noticed the lights were substantially higher, but not like a plane, just a few hundred feet maybe. Then I got past the bridge and could still see them out to my left, and more clear now because I was past other lights around that bridge, and right then the interstate gets a lot dark as you’re getting around 10 miles outside of downtown. Anyway, I could just see like 5 or 7 lights either 2 or three running up the sides of a triangle, with one on the point (meaning one whole side “the back” had no lights… they were like the end of an arrow). Anyway, I was on a 65 mph interstate and there’s a cement divider and no shoulder, othewise I’d have pulled over and tried to get out and get a better look… as it was I just slowed way down, rolled down my window and kept looking over (luckily there wasn’t a ton of traffic, as it was like 1 or 2 am).

Anyway, I don’t believe in aliens, but as I said I do think there are a lot of secret military projects, and I wanted to add that I think there should be and I don’t think we should know. We need to be the first and out ahead on technology and weapons if we intend to stay the superpower that we are.

RightWinged on March 29, 2007 at 10:07 PM

“Mmm, a future for this technology there is.”

CP on March 29, 2007 at 10:38 PM

Huh? Flying saucer? This is nothing but a round helicopter.

DISAPPOINTED!

Gregor on March 29, 2007 at 10:44 PM

Wow, how many carbon-offsets will the Pentagon need for full-size models of these?

Or are these “hybrid” UFO’s?

JetBoy on March 29, 2007 at 10:54 PM

I’ve had frisbees for years.

infidel on March 29, 2007 at 10:55 PM

i bought one of these at walmart for 50 bucks that made less noise.

lorien1973 on March 29, 2007 at 11:08 PM

How different is that from this? Except that the former apparently has a lawnmower engine in it somewhere?

Tanya on March 29, 2007 at 11:12 PM

How different is that from this?

Pshaw. That’s all girly and balloony. The saucer? Totally badass.

Allahpundit on March 29, 2007 at 11:16 PM

Just got back from Alpha Centuri and I must say I am not impressed. Maybe I’ll sell them some hi-tech parts from my third prototype which worked well in keeping the noise from my frozen daiquiri production in the rec room compartment from being heard in the whole freakin’ neigborhood during hover tests. Man, until that breakthrough, liquor cost overruns caused by inquisitive neighbors was killing my research.

Dusty on March 29, 2007 at 11:17 PM

That’s all girly and balloony.

Hahaha!

A badass flying lawnmower. If it gets me off this rock, I’ll take it. :o)

Tanya on March 29, 2007 at 11:27 PM

Some weird magazine I saw at Barnes and Nobles had a way to make an ion propulsion ship. You had to use like aluminum foil and balsa wood and then attach wires with 10,000 volts from a computer monitor highly dangerous. I think you can find some on youtube. Can’t rememeber what they are called but they would actually hover in the air. Very Dangerous.

Drtuddle on March 29, 2007 at 11:43 PM

Lifter technology. There is stuff on youtube

Drtuddle on March 29, 2007 at 11:53 PM

IT’s tin foil not aluminum.

Drtuddle on March 30, 2007 at 12:05 AM

Well we’re going to need something to fight off the giant Michael Jackson robot roaming the Nevada desert.

dorkafork on March 30, 2007 at 12:40 AM

And may I add: Think of the children!

dorkafork on March 30, 2007 at 12:40 AM

If this was shown at the Daily Kos, how many would claim they were anal probed. There has to be a victim here.

Kang and Kodos?

Kini on March 30, 2007 at 12:55 AM

But I honestly don’t see the point in making a flying saucer.

Darth Executor on March 29, 2007 at 8:50 PM

Actually there would be a very good use for these, as maneuverable video feeds in an urban combat zone. Small enough to fly up over some obstacles and feed back video of where the bad guys are.

Fire for effect!

91Veteran on March 30, 2007 at 1:04 AM

91Veteran on March 30, 2007 at 1:04 AM

Actually we already have this. Do you ever watch Future Weapons on the Discovery Channel? Cool show, but I saw a camera that is launched from a grenade launcher which provides a birds-eye view of the battle ground. Very cool stuff.

thedecider on March 30, 2007 at 1:32 AM

Be comfortably assured that whatever “technology” manages to turn up on UTube, or in Popular Science, you’ll never see the truly awesome stuff until it’s being replaced with a newer generation.

In 1978 the Air Force admitted the existence of the SR-71, which had been flying since 1962. In 1989 they publicly acknowledged the F-117, which had been flying since 1982 (and which the Lockheed Skunk works had begun design on in 1965, but couldn’t create a flight control computer to manage the pyramidal shape. It was called the “Hopeless Diamond”).

Places like DARPA are always developing new tech, and the most useful of it is always kept a secret as long as possible.

This rudderless, donut-shaped helicopter is little more than a toy. And the noise it makes is unavoidable when running that sized fan at the RPM necessary to create lift for that body.

Freelancer on March 30, 2007 at 2:28 AM

Well, it’s confession time.

I saw an actual flying saucer. For real. Parked at Falcon Field in Mesa, AZ. Right outside of Anzio Landing Italian Restaurant where the fly-in’s park their airplanes.

Honest.

Cross my heart and hope to die from the wonderful fettuccine alfredo they make at Anzio Landing restaurant.

My family and I were visiting Phoenix on a combination vacation-business trip. I had been told by some of my associates of the saucer at Falcon. So, I suprised my oldest (who was a big X-files fan) by taking the family to the restaurant. As we were walking in, her jaw dropped because right outside the picture window overlooking the runway and airpark, was this parked flying saucer with it’s lights flashing.

Now, here’s the good part.

The thing was made by a local eccentric from aluminum sheeting, a plexiglass dome, and was powered by a 4 cylinder volkswagon bug engine. And it flew. Really. The owner and maker was caught flying it on the Gila Indian reservation and busted by the FAA, because it was unlicensed (as was the “pilot’). I guess you’d call plane a ducted fan — like the one in the video clip. And, apparently it was unstable as hell.

You can find a refence to it in the book The $100 Hamburger by John F. Purner.

I’ve been told that a microburst destroyed the saucer several years ago.

That’s my story and I’m stickin’ to it!

georgej on March 30, 2007 at 4:45 AM

Darth Executor on March 29, 2007 at 8:50 PM

Oh, hell yeah!

p.v. cornelius on March 30, 2007 at 6:45 AM

…I do think there are a lot of secret military projects, and I wanted to add that I think there should be and I don’t think we should know.

RightWinged on March 29, 2007 at 10:07 PM

Amen. Amen. And again, a-frickin’-men.

p.v. cornelius on March 30, 2007 at 6:47 AM

This is just a little helicopter. Sikorsky developed a small helo similar in concept to this back in the early 1990′s. It was called ‘CYPHER’. It was 6 ft in diameter and used a Wankel gasoline engine for power. Sikorsky tried to sell it as a video surveilence system to the Army, but never sold it, for some reason. It was probably about $500K/unit. Used two counter-rotating rotors.

Henry Bowman on March 30, 2007 at 8:29 AM

um,
Wow dont know what to say.
The Link on that video shows a link to Jean Naudins web site I have been reading his stuff for YEARS. He has been a home researcher for alternative energy (as in collecting electricity from space etc.) he also built a highvoltage UFO device that lifted a mouse off the ground only using electricity. As far as I knew he lives in France, I didnt know he had been contracted by anyone. If you google “overunity” or “free energy” you’ll eventually come up to one of his websites.

Not that the guys is a Kook he actually has some brilliant ideas and works very hard on his projects. (hence this sorta cool UFO thingy.)

-Wasteland Man.

WastelandMan on March 30, 2007 at 10:03 AM

Tanya on March 29, 2007 at 11:12 PM

Thanks, Tanya, for a website I was unfamilar with. Cool Stuff.

tormod on March 30, 2007 at 10:56 AM

Laugh now younglings, where technology goes may surprise you. In a recent History Channel presentation of Modern Marvels on Stealth Technology there was speculation that the United States really is working on saucer shaped aircraft. That shape apparently has unique properties that are conducive to superior stealth technology.

omegaram on March 30, 2007 at 12:35 PM

The United States was heavily researching anti gravity publicaly in the 1950′s before it all went into the black box research. If you do a patent search, there have been numerous patents given for anti gravity saucer type aircraft but that is about as far as you can go to confirm we are working on this tech.

I was out at Norton Air Force base in the early 1970′s and saw one flying at night. I also have been out to Area 51 before the Government expanded the perimeter. You could see them testing the saucers at night with a good set of high powered binoculars.They are huge and are so fast that it would probably kill a pilot from the g forces so they must either be remote controlled or they have designed a system to protect a pilot from the g forces.

You cannot even get close to area 51 anymore because the patrolled perimeter has been expanded and the mountain top where I used to go is off limits now.

All of this research is top secret and the public will never know what is going on until the Government decides we need to know just like the SR-71 and F-117 were sighted by citizens before it was disclosed they existed.

ScottyDog on March 30, 2007 at 1:09 PM