Dog saves owner from choking — by giving her the Heimlich

posted at 3:59 pm on March 27, 2007 by Allahpundit

It’s either this or another labored post about the GOP presidential field. Be grateful.

Dumbest quote of the year thus far — yes or no?

“I know it sounds a little weird, but I think he had a sense of what was happening,” Parkhurst said Monday. “Of all the dogs in the world, I never would have expected this goofy one here to know the Heimlich.”

As strange as Parkhurst’s story might sound, Toby’s actions actually followed the emergency measures recommended for choking victims by the American Heart Association and the American Red Cross.

Both agencies recommend first aid responders use a series of five back blows followed by a series of five abdominal thrusts, otherwise known as the “five and five.”

“I have no idea where he learned it from,” Parkhurst said. “But can tell you that I’m going to peel and mash my apples from now on.”

Exit question: This is a hoax, right? “I have no idea where he learned it from?” Come on.

Comments

Oh ya–my dog once removed someone’s kidney! And the guy didn’t even thank me. Ungrateful burglers…

robblefarian on March 27, 2007 at 4:07 PM

Allah, if you were gonna go with a goofy story, you shoulda gone with the Giant Cane Toad story. Or you can have an animal story trifecta.

C’mon, they’re GIANT, that makes it automatically cooler.

Bad Candy on March 27, 2007 at 4:10 PM

Are we sure the dog wasn’t just humping the owner and just got it wrong?

lorien1973 on March 27, 2007 at 4:10 PM

Five abdominal thrusts? Uhhh…I don’t think he was doing the Heimlich there, honey.

armylawyer on March 27, 2007 at 4:11 PM

robblefarian on March 27, 2007 at 4:07 PM

I’ll bet you were real sore when you found that guy laying in your ice filled bathtub…

Bad Candy on March 27, 2007 at 4:11 PM

Related?

MT on March 27, 2007 at 4:12 PM

This is a hoax, right? “I have no idea where he learned it from?” Come on.

Yeah, right. Like the damn dog never watched ER.

RedWinged Blackbird on March 27, 2007 at 4:13 PM

She’s lucky… my puppy gets so excited when I get home, he comes running up and jumps against me… with his paws right in the, uh, delicate area. I’m seriously thinking about wearing a cup :-)

dalewalt on March 27, 2007 at 4:17 PM

No way. My grndmother SWORE she communicted with her dog, and it dodn’t start in her old age. In her 30′s her dogs were communicating with her, they are “human” after all…

Theworldisnotenough on March 27, 2007 at 4:18 PM

Can I have another treat now?

budorob on March 27, 2007 at 4:22 PM

As soon as I started breathing, he stopped and began licking my face, as if to keep me from passing out,” she said.

If I were a bit more cycical, I might suggest that this was the dog’s plan from the beginning.

DaveS on March 27, 2007 at 4:26 PM

While some dogs are saving their human owners’ lives, some human dog owners are getting sick from sampling their pets’ recalled food.

RightWinged on March 27, 2007 at 4:33 PM

From the article:

After noticing her dog, Missy, wasn’t eating, Larabie said she took bites of Iams pet food in order to trick the terrier into thinking it was people food.

Whatever happened to just leaving the food in the dish and waiting for the dog to get hungry enough to eat anything?

Slublog on March 27, 2007 at 4:36 PM

after a saturday night and some drinks i’ve had paw shaped bruises on my chest, too.

Mazztek on March 27, 2007 at 4:38 PM

Mazztek, that was just wrong on so many levels :-)

dalewalt on March 27, 2007 at 4:46 PM

I am not that sceptical. I have a child that does not walk, talk, sit up; he is total care. I had a Bernese Mountain dog who adored him and picked toys up and took to him. Anytime a stranger came into the house, the dog went over and laid on top of my son to protect him. Dogs can do amazing things.

bopbottle on March 27, 2007 at 4:47 PM

So cool! Lemme see a CAT do THIS!

“ungrateful burglers” – HA! Good one RobFarian!

Tony737 on March 27, 2007 at 4:50 PM

Dammit! Wasn’t done yet.

Hey, at least it wasn’t mouth to mouth!

Tony737 on March 27, 2007 at 4:51 PM

Dang. My dog can only lick his butt.

Matticus Finch on March 27, 2007 at 4:58 PM

Am I the only one overcome by the desire to bathe in the moisture of that dog’s soiled and bloodstained underwear?

RightWinged on March 27, 2007 at 5:00 PM

Before she blew out her ACL, our Schneagle (Schnauser/Beagle mix) would jump up and hit me in the chest so hard that it’d nearly knock my Monstrous body over. And when she wanted to be let out, she’d jump up and hit the front doorknob, leaving no doubt as to her intent. Now that she’s eligible for AARD membership, not so much.

The Monster on March 27, 2007 at 5:05 PM

Nope.

I love this site.

Matticus Finch on March 27, 2007 at 5:06 PM

Yeah, right. Like the damn dog never watched ER.

RedWinged Blackbird on March 27, 2007 at 4:13 PM

No, the damn dog probably watches Grey’s Anatomy instead.

Rick on March 27, 2007 at 5:22 PM

Everytime my dog meets another dog, he does the hind lick maneuver.

right2bright on March 27, 2007 at 5:27 PM

Everytime my dog meets another dog, he does the hind lick maneuver.

right2bright on March 27, 2007 at 5:27 PM

Strange – my dog has that same talent as well.

Rick on March 27, 2007 at 5:29 PM

I read the article and it sounds as if the dog was genuinely trying to help the owner. The dog is a golden retriever, and is probably quite intelligent and attached to the owner.

We’ve got a dog and a cat. I have to tell you even the cat’s attached to the family. She seems to know when someone is upset or ill and will stay with them. When we lived in a two-story house she would stay at the top of the stairs until everyone was safely in bed. Then she would go on her nightly prowl.

INC on March 27, 2007 at 7:12 PM

She seems to know when someone is upset or ill and will stay with them.

The cat is just waiting until it can eat its owner. It doesn’t “care” per say, just waiting for a good meal.

lorien1973 on March 27, 2007 at 10:20 PM

The dog was obviously just PO’d. “Oh no. You’re not dying before dinner–whack–you’ll–whack–feed me and THEN you can die!”

smellthecoffee on March 27, 2007 at 11:06 PM

We also have a boxer that is a nutcracker. Having company can be such hoot.

wytammic on March 27, 2007 at 11:12 PM

lorien1973,

LOL, no, I was not a cat person myself before we got this one! She still has issues, as all cats do!, but her attitude is definitely one of cat-concern.

INC on March 27, 2007 at 11:22 PM

My wife gave me the Heimlich… on accident. Boy was she p*ssed.

Kevin M on March 28, 2007 at 2:19 AM

Dalewalt…
Blind Date.

Mazztek on March 28, 2007 at 12:17 PM

Dalewalt…
Blind Date.

Mazztek on March 28, 2007 at 12:17 PM

I didn’t know service dogs were supposed to do everything for their blind masters.

James on March 28, 2007 at 12:39 PM