Breaking: White House says Tony Snow’s cancer has recurred; Update: Bush video added

posted at 9:57 am on March 27, 2007 by Allahpundit

And that it’s spread to his liver, according to Fox. Damn it. Standby.

Update: Here’s the AP article. No other details yet.

Update: Even the DUers are sympathetic.

Update: Prognosis: good.

Snow will go after the cancer as aggressively as he can, and he’s going to beat it again, Perino said, describing his attitude.

Blood tests and a PET imaging scan had come back negative for cancer.

There are a lot of effective therapies to treat liver cancer that has spread from colon cancer, said FOX News’ Dr. Manny Alvarez.

“It’s small enough that he should go into remission again after adequate treatment,” Alvarez said.

Update: They first spotted the growth six months ago.

Snow undergoes regular tests, including a PET imaging scan to help doctors see how organs and tissues are functioning, magnetic resonance imaging tests, and CAT scans to generate cross-sectional views and, if needed, three-dimensional images.

These scans revealed the growth in September. Though it has grown in size since, blood tests and further PET scans have not indicated a return of his cancer. He said it could merely be biopsied to see if it is cancerous, and then periodically checked afterward if not, but that he would rather just have it out.

He’s still got his sense of humor, at least: “Perino said Snow also gave her some instructions to pass on to reporters: ‘Tell them not to bug me.’ He also thanked reporters and others for the outpouring of good wishes he has received.”

Update: Here’s the president’s statement.

Comments

honora on March 27, 2007 at 2:10 PM

This is also an opportuntity to show how calous the left is. How insensitive the people you support are, and how important it is that people like you and the ones you support are exposed. You support the people who call for the deaths of our leaders, and then pretend you have no affiliation? Look at the sites that support your position and the vile language they use to pray and hope for the death of Snow, Rove, Bush, Cheney, Rice, and others. Get off your high horse and at least admit that these are your breatheran. You have aligned yourself with these leftists, now live with what you have bought into.

right2bright on March 27, 2007 at 4:02 PM

God bless TONY.
Beat it again buddy.

johnnyU on March 27, 2007 at 4:05 PM

Have some dignity? Physician, heal thyself:

TheBigOldDog on March 27, 2007 at 3:08 PM

What a curious phenomenon. I point out to ELf that his comment is churlish and undignified and beneath him. You feel compelled to respond to that, but rather than addressing my comment, you post some nuts from the Post.

You weren’t on your high school debating team I’m guessing. LOL.

honora on March 27, 2007 at 4:05 PM

The reason so many people are dying of cancer is that we are living long enough for cancer to mature. Medical science has cured most of the ills that used to kill us off early, like infections and tuberculosis.

The bad news is that liver cancer is a death sentence. In 2007, 16,780 people died out of 19,160 diagnosed with liver cancer. That’s an 88% morbidity rate, or 8 out of 9 dead. That’s how my Dad passed away.

Considering the moral character of our political opponents on the Left, it’s hardly a surprise that they cheer the deaths of conservatives. They’re haters. I’ve heard the same expressions of glee when other conservative figures suffered catastrophic health problems. I remember a former intern at a public television station recall how the staff of liberals cheered when Reagan was shot and their disappointment when he survived. These are the folks who want the head-cutters and mass grave fillers to win in Iraq. It’s no surprise that they cheer for cancer.

Tantor on March 27, 2007 at 4:07 PM

I am not “the liberals”, I am responsible for my own actions alone, it’s foolish to label people. For instance, I do not think that all righties are inarticulate dolts who are reduced to “stuff it” when flailing about desperately trying to make a point.

See how this works?

honora on March 27, 2007 at 4:01 PM

So naturally stooping to a level you detest is quite mature. Labels are appropriate not foolish. For example, Hitler=Evil, Al Queda=Terrorist, Honora=Dumbsh!t.

See how this works?

Andy in Agoura Hills on March 27, 2007 at 4:27 PM

This topic is too close to home. Lost mother to cancer when she was 33 and I was 13, sister 11.

It matters much if this is carcinoid or carcinoma.

Both carcinoid tumor (carcinoid) and neuroendocrine carcinoma (NEC) are
composed of neuroendocrine cells which are positive for chromogranin. The
former is a low grade malignancy but NEC is a highly aggressive malignancy.

honora on March 27, 2007 at 4:01 PM

honora, you have read some of the notes I posted for you and missed others, because sometimes I comment when threads are like candles on their last flicker…

I really like you, politics or no politics. And I don’t care if my independent/conservative brethren agree or disagree with this.

Like SouthernDem, however, you would be so much more admired and appreciated, also respected, if you wouldn’t focus on blaming “us”, or any individual here, versus the latrine coming from the HuffPoo, KOS and other similar sites.

I can’t recall a single comment here which wished Mrs. Edwards to die. You could simply post your sympathy, intentions to pray, or remain neutral. Attacking folks here and rubbing salt into them for noticing the rats “over there” is what is so incomprehensible.

And, no, I don’t think you are them. You are you and I like you fine. Just take a few moments to think about this and we’ll be even better friends. Really, some day I’d like to have dinner/lunch with you, if the opportunity arises. It would be way interesting, I’m convinced of it. And not for a moment would I try to change your politics. I’ve never considered that. It’s to each’s own, like religion. Regards, your HA-e-friend,

Entelechy on March 27, 2007 at 4:32 PM

See how this works?

honora on March 27, 2007 at 4:01 PM

But they are your peeps.

Rick on March 27, 2007 at 4:42 PM

Cool it with the negative waves, Moriarty!

Statistics can be very misleading. The five year survivability rate is for diagnoses given five+ years ago. We won’t know about today’s 5 year survivability rates until 2012!

Factor in, too, the statistical pool. The average age and overall relative health are likely less favorable than what Mr Snow is bringing to the table.

The picture is hardly a rosy one, but it’s way too early to call the undertaker.

DuffBeer on March 27, 2007 at 4:46 PM

This makes my heart hurt.
Tony is a one of a kind guy. God bless him and his family.
Anybody wishing someone else this kind of harm (from the left or right) shoud not spit in heaven.

Tom N on March 27, 2007 at 4:55 PM

Tantor,

This, however, is apparently not liver cancer, but cancer which has metastasized to the liver. Biologically speaking, a whole different ballgame.

My father also passed recently but from neuroendocrine carcinoma in the liver, without it ever really growing significantly.

Enetelechy,

Behave yourself, honora. Just trust me on this one.

Pablo on March 27, 2007 at 5:06 PM

DuffBeer,

If it hasn’t even shown up in the CT scans, this must’ve been caught quite early. Advances in treatment for liver-specific metastases are rewriting the long-term numbers quite favorably.

I’m confused that they didn’t see this with PET, either lesion.

Pablo on March 27, 2007 at 5:09 PM

Rick on March 27, 2007 at 4:42 PM

That’s the point. She comes in taking the liberal side, and when (as often is the case) they make a fool of themselves she runs for the hills. She distances herself from the ones she supports. She wants the win, but doesn’t want the fight. They are only her “peeps” if they win.
Just the type of person to go into a fight with…if you were a fool.
She is classic liberal.

right2bright on March 27, 2007 at 5:35 PM

{{{Tony}}}

RushBaby on March 27, 2007 at 5:58 PM

It’s too bad the anti american seething hateful people can’t take a lesson or two from class acts: Tony Snow and Mrs. Edwards.

Highrise on March 27, 2007 at 6:37 PM

We’re praying, too, for Tony’s complete healing and full recovery.
God bless you, sir!
(Come back soon to the West Wing, please. America needs you at that mike!)

Jen the Neocon on March 27, 2007 at 7:24 PM

I scolded my lib buddies today for their glee at TS’s illness. One of them likened it to when he heard Johnny Cochrane passed away; “that’s what you get for selling your sould to the devil.” Nice. Very classy. They accused me of hypocrisy over Tim Johnson’s (SD congressman; stroke) illness but I said hey, all I said was you better hope he pulls through, I never wished him any harm. That’s what’s great about the Internets, it’s all out there for everyone to see.

fudgypup on March 27, 2007 at 7:25 PM

St. Jude, help of the hopeless, help him.

doingwhatican on March 27, 2007 at 7:34 PM

It has been a busy day for me. I run the “Tony Snow” threads on the FreeRepublic.

If you can. If you will. Say a prayer. Here, or elsewhere.

Prayer Request for Tony Snow.

dinasour on March 27, 2007 at 7:41 PM

Is nothing sacred in this country anymore?! Someone needs to slap the dog shite outa that guy!

sonnyspats1 on March 27, 2007 at 8:43 PM

I wonder if Tony is reading this thread?

PinkyBigglesworth on March 27, 2007 at 10:17 PM

I wonder if Tony is reading this thread?

If so, I hope you realize all the joy you’ve brought to my family personally. I truly believe this cancer can be beat, and you are just the man to do it. Keep the faith and God bless you.

wytammic on March 27, 2007 at 10:48 PM

wytammic on March 27, 2007 at 10:48 PM

Well stated, mine as well……..

PinkyBigglesworth on March 28, 2007 at 1:42 AM

First time I’ve had to get online for a while, so let me add my prayer for Tony. Get well soon, your wit will be missed while you recover.

Entelechy on March 27, 2007 at 4:32 PM

I know that post I made the other day was a little snotty, but I’ve never pointed out anything before, mainly because there is nothing to point out. Just about everyone here is a class act and I have nothing but respect for you guys. Except you Entelechy. Just kidding! But come on buddy, look at my track record here. I’m half a step away from dropping the Dem in my name.
Back on OT, GET WELL TONY!

SouthernDem on March 28, 2007 at 8:06 AM

Back on OT? What does that even mean?

SouthernDem on March 28, 2007 at 8:07 AM

SouthernDem on March 28, 2007 at 8:06 AM

I was going to post to Entelechy that there are honest dems and trolling dems. I never put you in with the trolling dems. As I had stated before, you seperate yourself from the modern dem party, the original dems that created Tammy Bruce and other great women is still a great party with great ideas that moved us in the right direction. Tammy I would consider a conservative Democrat, it is just that she can’t find her Democratic party anymore, they are hiding behind bigory, anger, and lies.
Some others would rather sleep in the gutter with their breatheran modern Dems, than to admit that the party left them.
Besides, you have Rudy to cheer for, as close as you get to a real Democrat.

right2bright on March 28, 2007 at 11:03 AM

SouthernDem on March 28, 2007 at 8:06 AM

Oh my, so sorry SD, that what I meant to convey came across (and I now see how it could have, the way I expressed it) exactly the wrong way. I meant to laud you, to compliment your way of doing the opposite of what honora tends to do. I have expressed that about you on other threads in the past. Sorry that I wasn’t more clear (damned foreigner!, me)

I’m so sincerely sorry because I have always liked your comments and found you to be in the Zell Miller/Tammy Bruce category, the type of true Democrats whom the party left, and who would be wonderful to get back, as an honest major party, to look out for the good of this country. In absolutely no way did I mean to compare you to honora’s comments on this or any other threads. Au contraire! I just hope you will be back to read this now.

As an aside, I’m a lady, not a gent :) But I am your “buddy”. With regrets, and best regards,

Entelechy on March 28, 2007 at 9:35 PM

For Tony
By Michelle Malkin · March 28, 2007 04:19 PM
The White House has set up a get well page for readers who want to send their best to Tony Snow. Internet director David Alamancy writes: “Under ‘Features’ section, you will find a link at the top right-hand corner of the page where you can send Tony a note. We’ll make sure he gets it.”

If site is jammed send email to :

[email protected]