Video: British jihadi Hassan Butt renounces terrorism

posted at 9:49 am on March 26, 2007 by Allahpundit

I’m not sure I buy it. He said in 2004 that he envied the Madrid bombers suddenly does a 180 a year later when trains explode in London? After he’d publicly endorsed attacks on the UK a few years earlier? And if he’s on the level, why isn’t he in hiding?

Watch it, though. It packs a lot of insight for 11 minutes, especially what he says about the UK’s deal with the devil before 9/11 about letting extremists have the run of the land so long as they turned the jihad outward, away from Britain. They’ll be paying for that mistake for a long time. His fundraising strategy is interesting too, split between professional, “respectable” Muslims and scumbag drug dealers eager to purchase indulgences for their sins. Click the image to watch:

butt.jpg

Here’s what’s happening right now in the Pakistani tribal areas where this guy used to send men and money:

Tribal leaders interviewed by TIME say they do not support the aims of the jihadists. But the Taliban’s campaign of fear has worn down local resistance. Malik Sher Muhammad Khan, a tribal elder from Wana, says, “The Taliban walk through the streets shouting that children shouldn’t go to school because they are learning modern subjects like math and science. But we want to be modern. It’s not just the girls. In my village, not a single person can even sign his name.” Khan estimates that only 5% of the inhabitants of Waziristan actively support the militants. Others benefit financially by providing services and renting land for training camps. The rest, he says, acquiesce out of fear. A few months ago, militants stormed his compound in retaliation for his outspoken criticism of their presence in the area. During the melee, a grenade killed his wife. “If I had weapons, maybe I could have saved her,” he says. “We have no way to make them leave.”

Comments

I don’t know, Allah. Aren’t jihad supporters usually proud of the fact, and claim they aren’t afraid to tell people?

amerpundit on March 26, 2007 at 9:55 AM

Was he teased into Allah’s arms by his school chums because his last name was Butt? Was his Mom’s name hole? And was his Father’s name Brown? They should have just given him a first name of Big, because that’s what he is.

NeoConSnakePlissken on March 26, 2007 at 10:06 AM

“Go to Iraq to basically – the actual word that they used was that I needed ‘reprogramming.’ And Iraq would give me the opportunity to basically be reprogrammed for what I needed I mean.”

Iraq is the central front? Hmmm… who woulda thunk it?

“there’s a big disease, a big problem and a cancer in the Muslim world.”

Yes there is and it’s called Islam?

Get back to me, Butt, when you take that thing off your head and get a shave.

Connie on March 26, 2007 at 10:08 AM

The boy has found a new god: Profit. Fade, jink, duck. This is all a big smoky mirror meant to do two things….

1. Keep my BUTT outta jail.
2. Make lots and lots of money to give back to Islam.

I wonder how much CBS advertiser money ends up with Hezbollah and Hamas?

He left the ‘dark’ side because the dark side wanted him to embrace his virgins. He believed everything the dark-side told him until he realized he was going to have to practice what he was told to preach. He should be in a chain-gang repairing Jewish headstones.

Limerick on March 26, 2007 at 10:23 AM

I think he’s been drinking “taqiyya”. If not, he could provide valuable information. Now where did I put that waterboard?

Tony737 on March 26, 2007 at 10:35 AM

Wrong Tactics for the wrong situation to believe this is somehow a ploy.

I believe, based on that, that he is sincere.

What goes on behind the scenes… well… let’s try not to turn into Kos Kiddies. That’s a little far fetched for us, and a mile out of the way for them.

Ringmaster on March 26, 2007 at 11:19 AM

Time, as it almost always does, will tell.

Bob's Kid on March 26, 2007 at 11:25 AM

I don’t know what to think. He sounds a little like Walid Shoebat and Daveed Gartenstein-Ross. The only difference is they left Islam altogether. I don’t know what Hassan sees about Islam is still worth holding on.

I think it was Reagan who said it best, “trust but verify.” Let’s see what he’s doing a month, six months, one year, and even two years from now. His actions will eventually show his true intentions.

looking4statesmen on March 26, 2007 at 11:25 AM

I saw this last night and the one thing that stood out to me more than anything was that he was being told to go to Iraq. Not Afghanistan, Iraq.

Now if Iraq has nothing to do with al Qaeda, why would al Qaeda send him there of all places?

JackStraw on March 26, 2007 at 11:35 AM

The rest, he says, acquiesce out of fear.

Ah, the strong moral fiber of Islamic peoples. Even though they outnumber the Taliban 19:1, the still can’t make a go of resistance. Better off dead, I say.

PRCalDude on March 26, 2007 at 11:56 AM

PRCalDude on March 26, 2007 at 11:56 AM

“Kill the weak, poor, scared, and helpless. They just get in the way.”

Great campagin slogan you got there, try pitching that to a few candidates.

JaHerer22 on March 26, 2007 at 12:11 PM

“Kill the weak, poor, scared, and helpless. They just get in the way.”

Great campagin slogan you got there, try pitching that to a few candidates.

JaHerer22 on March 26, 2007 at 12:11 PM

I meant you’re better off dead than living under the Taliban. At what point did I say they should be killed? Nice try.

PRCalDude on March 26, 2007 at 12:23 PM

The problem with Islam is the Koran and Mohammad’s intolerant, lying, murderous, slave-holding example.

How can you stay in a creed that glorifies terrorism as sanctified, considers women as worth only half of a man, hates art and music, and is utterly anti-intellectual?

What are the upsides of that?

profitsbeard on March 26, 2007 at 12:47 PM

British jihadi Hassan Butt renounces terrorism

I think he was told to strap a bomb on and suddenly had a change of heart. After all, 72 virgins will still be there waiting to nag him past the nether life when he finally decides to blowup real good.

Enjoy your cake here on earth now cause the icing in the next life will be bitter.

The meek shall inherit the earth, eventually, once they realize the brutality that Islam is.

Kini on March 26, 2007 at 1:53 PM

I’m guessing the rest of the terrorists made fun of his name, so he took his Scrabble board and bomb vest and went home.

Professor Blather on March 26, 2007 at 2:25 PM

Was his change before or after he watched how a ‘changed’ Jihadi on 24 was able to get right next to The President?

I mean I’ve seen how people can change when finally faced with the reality of things, but when someone is in a cult, they can’t see reality even when it is right in front of them. What this guy is saying isn’t new information . . has he turned in a list of names and whatnot?

- The Cat