Koran thrown on the floor in Yemen; one dead, five injured

posted at 1:59 pm on March 25, 2007 by Allahpundit

The army has been deployed to restore calm. Yes, really.

The violence began when a French employee at a natural gas liquefaction plant being constructed by Yemen LNG in the coastal city of Balhaf threw a copy of the Koran, Islam’s holy book, on the ground, a move that angered Yemeni workers at the plant site, the Yemeni officials said, speaking on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to the media.

The enraged Yemenis reacted by attacking the French employee and setting fire to a helicopter and a large number of vehicles inside the plant site, the officials said.

Four Yemeni workers and the French man were injured in the melee, the officials added.

The Yemenis also tried to attack expatriate workers in their camp inside the plant site but were pushed back by Yemeni troops who intervened with tanks and armored vehicles to contain the violence and restore calm.

One rioter was killed, according to AFP. The Frenchman has been “evacuated.”

Comments

Such a civilized religion

Wade on March 25, 2007 at 2:03 PM

imagine what would happen if someone actually tried to insult islam

Defector01 on March 25, 2007 at 2:04 PM

At this point it is Islam that is an insult to humanity.

bbz123 on March 25, 2007 at 2:06 PM

Awwww, look at the religion of peace..how cute!

lsutiger on March 25, 2007 at 2:12 PM

Or is this one more example of the trumped-up charge of MAOD (Muslim Accusation Of Desecration) by cunning Mohommedan extremists to attack whomever and whatever and whenever they want with “sanctified” impunity?

I just threw a Koran in a well-used kitty litter tray.

Or did I?Hysteria knows no bounds.

And has no sense.

Except terror.

profitsbeard on March 25, 2007 at 2:14 PM

The Religion of Peace rears its ugly head again.

Is it time to compare this to the medieval Christians yet?

DannoJyd on March 25, 2007 at 2:15 PM

That’s quite an over reaction, and I know a lot about over reactions

lorien1973 on March 25, 2007 at 2:16 PM

Ahhh yes, nuance indeed. Yet another shining example of why I hope natural selection will do away with the brain disease called Islam sooner than later. Read between the lines if you must.

Roark on March 25, 2007 at 2:17 PM

lorien1973 on March 25, 2007 at 2:16 PM

Very appropriate, haha, nice work on the FG clips today!

Roark on March 25, 2007 at 2:20 PM

Allahpundit on March 25, 2007 at 2:21 PM

I hope you mean banning islam as a “religion”?

SouthernGent on March 25, 2007 at 2:22 PM

Riots and death do not usually happen when other “religious” books are thrown on the floor.

infidel on March 25, 2007 at 2:28 PM

Please holster your weapon, I don’t want to end up like one of Gallagher’s watermelons.

infidel on March 25, 2007 at 2:31 PM

When’s the last time the French had a 4 to 1 kill ratio? Maybe there is hope for the West after all…

TheBigOldDog on March 25, 2007 at 2:45 PM

Koran thrown on the floor in Yemen

Freedom of expression. Calling progressives and multi-cultis…ah, but all that freedom applies only to the west…and tolerance applies to all other cultures…please explain this because my head explodes every time I read/hear about some such incident.

Entelechy on March 25, 2007 at 2:48 PM

Four Yemenis were injured along with one Frenchie … does that mean the ONE Frenchie kicked the crap outta FOUR Yemenis before he got beat up by the rest of the mob? Wait, a Frenchie? … Nah, there must be some other LOGICAL explanation.

Tony737 on March 25, 2007 at 2:50 PM

I think this would have been a better title for this entry:

Muslims Offended; Reasonable Discourse Ensues.

It’s perfect for AP;s “gotcha” schtick.

lorien1973 on March 25, 2007 at 2:57 PM

Allahpundit wrote: “I can see we’re going to end up having to wield the ban hammer before this thread is done. Ah well.”

Why?

You began this thread, after all. In doing so you clearly pointed out the absurdity of Muslim’s — the believers in the religion of perpetual outrage, as Michelle herself calls it — overreaction in rioting to the extent that the Yemeni Army has to be called out over a possible slight to the Koran.

What was the purpose in posting this? What kind of responses were you expecting, anyway?

So WHO are you going to ban and for what, given that your “handle” arguably mocks the religion itself?

georgej on March 25, 2007 at 3:14 PM

Allahpundit on March 25, 2007 at 2:21 PM

One thing we know for sure is that this story will be banned from the drive-by media. We can’t have realistic reporting after all, only scripted propoganda from media tools.

Mojave Mark on March 25, 2007 at 3:14 PM

On the flip side of the coin… regardless of their response, the Frenchman was frikkin’ idiot to do what he did.

Not saying the Muslim Yemenese (is that correct? Yemenese? Yemeni??) were correct in rioting, so don’t start thinking I’m an appeaser, but the Frenchman was a DUMB-ASS for doing what he did!

Any adult that’s not been in a coma for the last 10 years knows it’s going to start trouble to desecrate the Koran. Why even do it? I don’t care if their response was wrong, the Frenchman was wrong too.

Just sayin,

V5

V5 on March 25, 2007 at 3:34 PM

Dammit, BigDog, I swear your comment wasn’t there when I started typing!

You’re right V5, that was pretty dumb, especially when you’re outnumbered that badly *and* while on enemy lands.

Tony737 on March 25, 2007 at 3:50 PM

I wonder what would happen if you dip it in urine

Ropera on March 25, 2007 at 3:54 PM

infidel on March 25, 2007 at 2:28 PM

Speak for yourself. The other day, a cat knocked my bible off the table, so I pitched it out the window and then set my neighbor’s house on fire.

Seemed like the thing to do at the time.

Slublog on March 25, 2007 at 3:57 PM

V5 on March 25, 2007 at 3:34 PM

He WAS wrong. He should have thrown it in the trash where it belonged. And he’s not too much an idiot, since he actually lived and the only fatality was apparently one of the zombie rioters. One less to deal with.

The real question is … how long will it be before we get hit with a new law making it illegal to toss a Qur’an on the floor?

Gregor on March 25, 2007 at 4:00 PM

Allahpundit on March 25, 2007 at 2:21 PM

I thought I had a grasp of the comment guidelines, (Mecca) and so on, but I’m honestly not following you. As a guess, I’m going to say you are against people suggesting dropping a koran is a good idea. Am I warm? If so, that strikes me as slightly dhimmified. Just sayin. You can make the rules, it seems to me there’s a difference between threatening and offending. Are both off-limits? Or am I completely missing something?

Buck Turgidson on March 25, 2007 at 4:01 PM

Okay now without going to the link I am going to make a guess, this is an AP story right?

Paging Jamil Hussein, Mr Hussein pick up the white courtesy phone.
AP uses this expression a lot whereaws Reuters is famous for describing areas of violence as ‘restive”. You know like the restive southern region of Thailand, or the restive Palestinian terrortory.

LakeRuins on March 25, 2007 at 4:04 PM

Where is the courage of the group that sponsored that “art” of desecrating Christian symbols? Shouldn’t they be speaking truth to power ,or insanity, or something?

bbz123 on March 25, 2007 at 4:04 PM

Allahpundit on March 25, 2007 at 2:21 PM

Allahpundit’s pimphand is way strong.

Its a pretty mellow reaction compared to the one to the Newsweek Koran flushing story, and that story ended up being bogus anyway.

Bad Candy on March 25, 2007 at 4:08 PM

~Tony737

Tony,

You said it better than my long winded approach. I could care less that he threw it on the floor. It’s more about his F’n stupidity of where he did it, rather than the fact that he actually did it!

V5

V5 on March 25, 2007 at 4:27 PM

At this point it is Islam that is an insult to humanity.

bbz123 on March 25, 2007 at 2:06 PM

At this point? It has ALWAYS been an insult to humanity.

Tim Burton on March 25, 2007 at 4:28 PM

Religion of peace… Oh I forgot, this was just a fluke (again).

RightWinged on March 25, 2007 at 4:44 PM

The Religion of Peace rears its ugly head again.

Is it time to compare this to the medieval Christians yet?

DannoJyd on March 25, 2007 at 2:15 PM

No, because medieval Christians were actually very humane contrary to popular mythology and was better than the Islamic “countries” of the time. In Spain, for all the evils of the Inquisition, people when going to face the court would curse the Bible, because they know the Inquisition courts were much more merciful than the secular ones.

The fact is that the Inquisition of myth was based upon Protestant propaganda (I’m protestant by the way). Recent studies of archival material in Spain and the Vatican have shown that much of it was lies.

Most have the deaths of the Inquisition over a 300 year period to be between 3,000 and 5,000. Even the most liberal estimates have the deaths at less than 30K.

Also, the majority of the Crusades are wrongly put in bad light. They were all defensive wars. They sacked Constantinople, but that was because the Crusaders were desperate. They got involved with political infighting between to brothers who were fighting for the crown. When they helped one win, he broke his promise of money (to pay back the Italian Doge) and weapons (To take back the Holy Land) to help them with their mission, they decided to take the city. Sure they burned it, but that was custom and the norm within the rules of warfare at the time. Much of the mass killings though, were of soldiers, not civilians. Voltaire made up much of the myth that surrounds the “history” of the sack.

The Christian world was so upset that the Pope excommunicated those involved.

Finally, contrary to popular myth, the majority of ancient world texts were not saved by Muslims. Exactly the opposite, it was Christian monasteries that saved the works (Most in the Holy Land area, but also ancient texts have been found in collections in Spain and France dating to the Dark ages, which were anything but). Much of this had to do with the fact that many early Church Fathers believed that Aristotle’s works were Natural Revelation and Scripture was Special Revelation. Even in Muslim lands much of the ancient texts were saved by Christian dhimmis in the region.

While Christians at the Library of Alexandria burned it to the ground, virtually all of it was rebuilt by the time the Muslims got there. They did not do the final destruction. There was actually three burnings.

1. Julius Caesar burned it first.
2. Christians burned it during a riot which by most accounts was started by the Jews (No, I’m not anti-semetic, I think Israel should kick the Palestinians’ arse and get it over with and reclaim the temple mount), but the Christian response focused on both the Jews and the Pagans. It was rebuilt a second time.
3. Muslims burned it the final time and made sure it was gone.

History of the Library of Alexandria

Basically, everything you heard about the incivility of Christianity is wrong or historically biased.

Tim Burton on March 25, 2007 at 5:02 PM

French people have been known to eat pork.

Kini on March 25, 2007 at 5:07 PM

Tony737 on March 25, 2007 at 3:50 PM

I will give Frenchie the benefit of the doubt that he knew what he was getting into … I would offer that he did not expect the military to arrive and settle the locals. Heh. That took some cajones.

Tim Burton on March 25, 2007 at 5:02 PM

Amen. On defense then, on defense now. Not much has changed in all of these years.

AZ_Redneck on March 25, 2007 at 5:14 PM

Your headline made me laugh out loud AP… should I feel guilty?

Free Constitution on March 25, 2007 at 5:16 PM

Yeah, basically. Wow, what a sweeping statement. It takes the breath away. And buttressed by logic worthy of Al Gore.

smellthecoffee on March 25, 2007 at 5:17 PM

Re: destruction of the Alexandian Library.

Obviously it was the Bushhitler regime’s vile provisions of the PATRIOT act regarding libraries that is to blame.

TABoLK on March 25, 2007 at 5:20 PM

Personally I want to give the Frenchman the Medal of Freedom…..but….
It was pretty stupid. I can’t imagine what would happen to Hutto if he walked into the local VFW and threw the Stars and Stripes on the ground. I have a feeling there would have to be a few battalions of Texas State Troopers called in to remove his remains.

Something ticked of Frenchy, but ya gotta know when not to throw a punch.

Limerick on March 25, 2007 at 5:29 PM

Is it time to compare this to the medieval Christians yet?

Well I remember from school that Piazarro and the conquistadors massacred Peruvians for flinging a Bible on the ground. Would’ve been around the 16th century.

True. A lot of them were held here in Ireland by Catholic monks and then eventually brought back to Europe. It’s the original Pope Benedict who saved Christian European culture.

aengus on March 25, 2007 at 5:54 PM

My dog just took a dump on a Koran.. oh woe is me, whatever shall I do…

Viper1 on March 25, 2007 at 5:56 PM

AP,

If you’d like to go a bit lighter than a ban-hammer, I could try to get you some high quality, Charikar made brass knuckles! Afghans aren’t much for fist fighting – but when they do, they bring it, hard.

Maybe a little love tap with those could keep people from crossing the line…

major john on March 25, 2007 at 6:05 PM

Okay. So, out of curiosity … is there a “Religion of War” out there somewhere? Maybe a “Religion of Violence?”

Because, man, if this is the “Religion of Peace,” those non-peaceful religions must throw some awesome parties.

I love liberals: in our country, you defecate (literally) on our flag with impunity; in the Arab paradise of Yemen (and elsewhere), you toss a book on the ground and get lynched.

And liberals have no interest at all in discussing the latter countries.

I never really understood this, but I get it now: it’s not that they just hate America that much – it’s just that they realize that hating, oh, Iran, or Islam … or just voicing your opinion in North Korea or the socialist utopia of Venezuela, could get you zilched out in a heartbeat.

So why protest there? Stay home – it’s safer.

Liberals are so smart. I love that about them.

Professor Blather on March 25, 2007 at 6:30 PM

AZ_Redneck on March 25, 2007 at 5:14 PM

What part of AZ you in? I’m in Central Phoenix, where we are getting an influx of CA liberals who screwed up CA so bad that they can’t stand living there anymore and moved Phoenix to screw us up….

Tim Burton on March 25, 2007 at 6:37 PM

Limerick on March 25, 2007 at 5:29 PM

Since when do you have to imagine it? Have you been to any of the illegal alien or Iraq war protests lately? There were plenty of veterans on hand to witness the acts at last weekend’s protests. It’s happening almost every day and so far I’ve yet to see a single American do anything about it.

Very sad.

Gregor on March 25, 2007 at 6:38 PM

V5 on March 25, 2007 at 3:34 PM

Interesting perspective.

Now here’s mine:

Artists in the west – or liberal partisans determined to generate a little shock-value attention – have made it almost a cliche to desecrate, defame, and mock western values, specifically including Judeo-Christian symbols.

You know the countless examples: the crucifix dipped in urine; the picture of Mary covered in horse manure; and, of course, no art exhibit would be complete without at least a few desecrated American flags (with bonus points if you can toss in some anti-Semitic imagery!)

And when clear-thinking people who have even a shred of decency ask WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS – the answer is always the same: because we can. Because it is a celebration or our freedom. Because our right to expression trumps all.

They insult and offend ON PURPOSE, call it art, and demand to be celebrated.

Okay. Fair enough.

So how come I haven’t heard the news about the “Piss Mohamed” exhibit at the Metropolitan Museum of Modern Art?

Where is the traveling exhibit of the Mohamed cartoons? Where are the paintings of Mohamed in sexualized poses, or covered in feces? The statue of the Koran in tatters?

Where are they? I really want to know.

And why am I liable to get banned from a conservative website, of all places, even for asking the question?

Professor Blather on March 25, 2007 at 6:40 PM

Just nuke the animals and be done with it. We are going to have to do it sooner or later anyway.

1sttofight on March 25, 2007 at 7:15 PM

but the Frenchman was a DUMB-ASS for doing what he did!

He’s French – equal-opportunity arrogance! Credit where credit is due..

Reaps on March 25, 2007 at 7:21 PM

Most everyone seems to be assuming that the accusation is true.

As noted above, the Gitmo Koran flush was phony.

As phony as the Koran itself.

I hate to give a Frenchman the benefit of the doubt, but…

profitsbeard on March 25, 2007 at 7:49 PM

They’re not animals. The neo-conservative strategy is to create civil democratic institutions in the Middle East. Not as instantaneously gratifying as firing off a couple of nuclear weapons I know but its a little more ethical than killing off a sixth of the world’s population.

aengus on March 25, 2007 at 8:00 PM

Does advocating genocide against “animals” constitute a ban?

aengus on March 25, 2007 at 8:03 PM

I’d hate to violate Godwin’s law, but… that language is so very, VERY similar.

TABoLK on March 25, 2007 at 8:10 PM

O-kaaaaaaaay.

Alden Pyle on March 25, 2007 at 8:26 PM

Well, at least we know now how to immobilize the infrastructure of any Mid East nation. Just drop a Koran and watch the bonfire from an evac helicopter.

Man, these people need to join the 21st century.. heck, I’d settle for the 19th century at this point.

spmat on March 25, 2007 at 8:48 PM

Re: “Nukem” remarks, something I originally wrote on LGF, but it seems appropriate here as well:

This is why the President keeps insisting that Islam is a Religion of Peace, driving most of the posters here nuts. Usama wants a war between the Ummah and the Infidels. Dubya wants to move the dividing line so that it’s a war between the Islamists and the civilized humans, including as many Moslems as possible on our side, or at least on the sidelines.

If Usama gets his wish, we have a war between a quarter of the human population and however many choose to resist rather than submit. That war would be uglier than all the others ever fought put together. That’s why we have to keep our efforts focused on the people who want to mix religion and force, and make it clear that we have no more desire to war against the peaceful Muslims than we do against Mormons, Catholics, Seventh-Day Adventists, or Branch Davidians.

Oops. We have our work cut out for us.

The Monster on March 25, 2007 at 8:50 PM

I can think of a few things I’d like to do to the koran that’d be much worse than just tossing it on the ground, but this guy needs to know when and how to make his point. Ya don’t wear red to a Crips tea party, ya don’t get an “own goal” in Columbia and ya don’t throw the koran in a room chock full O’Muzzies. I admire this man’s ba … um … his *courage* … but his timing was way, way off. High on tactics, low on stradegy.

Monster, “Branch Davidians” … I like your sense of humor!

Tony737 on March 25, 2007 at 9:38 PM

In Portland than can crap on an American flag and get cheered. Maybe we need to start showing some outrage at the antics of the left, too.

RW Wacko on March 25, 2007 at 9:52 PM

“…getting an influx of CA liberals who screwed up CA so bad that they can’t stand living there anymore and moved Phoenix to screw us up….
Tim Burton on March 25, 2007 at 6:37 PM”

The last time I was in PHX, I saw a pickup truck with a bumper sticker tha read “So many CA liberals, so little room in my freezer.”

Was that you, Tim? ;-)

georgej on March 26, 2007 at 12:13 AM

Thomas Jefferson cuts up the King James bible to create his own version and we elect him president.

There is a difference…get it you leftists?

right2bright on March 26, 2007 at 10:00 AM

Koran thrown on the floor in Yemen; one dead, five injured

When the Koran hit the floor, did it like, explode or something?

Who would’ve expected that?

JackM on March 26, 2007 at 4:06 PM