House Republicans introduce bill to protect passengers from flying imams’ lawsuit

posted at 5:50 pm on March 24, 2007 by Allahpundit

Did anyone not see this coming? This is why I never understood the hand-wringing about CAIR allegedly trying to exploit the flying imams to help Democrats get their anti-profiling bill passed. If anything, it’s the GOP that’s going to use the imams and their quirky little air-travel habits to get the bill killed. The latest shinola about suing the passengers for reporting suspicious activity is just hot fudge on the sundae.

House Republicans are pushing legislation to protect airline passengers from lawsuits for reporting suspicious behavior that might be linked to a terrorist attack.

[New Mexico Rep. Stevan] Pearce has 10 Republican co-sponsors for his bill, including: Rob Bishop of Utah, Dan Burton of Indiana, Geoff Davis of Kentucky, Trent Franks of Arizona, John Kline of Minnesota, Thaddeus G. McCotter of Michigan, Howard McKeon of California, Bill Shuster of Pennsylvania, Lynn A. Westmoreland of Georgia and Frank R. Wolf of Virginia…

A public interest law firm that fights against religious discrimination publicly condemned the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) yesterday for supporting a case it calls “legal terrorism” and said it will file a brief with the court on behalf of the passengers.

“This is a first for us,” Kevin Hasson, president of the Becket Fund for Religious Liberty, wrote in a letter to Nihad Awad, president of CAIR. “We have never opposed someone else’s claim for religious discrimination.

Hasson (who served in the DOJ under Reagan) has put the PDF of his letter online. Your quote of the day: “In short, we know religious liberty. Religious liberty is a client of ours. And this claim is not about religious liberty.” If you support profiling and are the praying sort, pray that CAIR and the imams ignore him and pursue the suit anyway. They very well might — CAIR is always looking to maximize its victimization, and a conservative firestorm over the suit would be even better for them in that regard than suing and winning on the discrimination claim.

Incidentally, Powerline had the scoop about Pearce’s bill yesterday, a day before WashTimes had it. Audrey Hudson, the Times’s reporter on this beat, also credited Powerline by name for information in her last article about it. Funny to see a blog feeding a fairly major paper on a story.

Comments

That last bit is the real news.

steveegg on March 24, 2007 at 5:53 PM

Count me dense, but I didn’t see that comming. Hope CAIR keeps chugging forward, I can finally see what you were talking about.

Max Power on March 24, 2007 at 6:05 PM

If CAIR sues and wins, will I be able to walk onto a plane and say, “Hi, Jack!”?

PinkyBigglesworth on March 24, 2007 at 6:13 PM

Proud to say that Steve Pearce is my Congressman.
Good reliable conservative, and a humble, nice and honorable man without the arrogance that most of his peers (on either side of the aisle) show after they have won re-elections by a pretty large margin.

LegendHasIt on March 24, 2007 at 6:31 PM

LegendHasit:

For a supposedly blue state,we sure have a lot of red-staters here :D

I watched the Wilson-Madrid race closely & broke out the good whiskey when Madrid finally conceded.

Frantic Freddie on March 24, 2007 at 8:04 PM

Yeah, I don’t know how any sane person could watch the debates between Wilson and Madrid and not come across thinking Madrid was a complete idiot.

wryteacher on March 24, 2007 at 8:06 PM

Common sense works every time.

SouthernGent on March 24, 2007 at 10:29 PM

PinkyBigglesworth

If CAIR sues and wins, will I be able to walk onto a plane and say, “I’ll be back”?

stonemeister on March 24, 2007 at 11:24 PM

Be funny to see if this gets anywhere, and what democrats vote against it if it makes it to a vote.

darwin on March 25, 2007 at 8:35 AM

A Congressman Who Gets It

Have the networks even mentioned this?

JammieWearingFool on March 25, 2007 at 9:18 AM

If I ever see a group of imams causing a ruckus at an airport by “praying” in a ticket line or at the departure gate I’m just gonna start singing Amazing Grace right next to them and invite others to join in. Hey, if they want to pray to the moon god of Arabia in such an innapropriate setting then, likewise, I’m free to worship God in song.

Mojave Mark on March 25, 2007 at 10:54 AM

I STILL have trouble believing that this whole thing is happening. The world truly HAS gone mad, when terrorists can sue in the country they’re terrorizing.

I’m to fly to UK this coming Friday, if this were to happen on the plane I was boarding…you bet your a$$ I’d be complaining to authorities. And would demand they not be on my plane. Either they get off or I do.

I hate to sound so harsh, but I’m almost for making it illegal to “Fly while Muslim” in this country. If they (Muslims) can’t get ahold of their own communities, and condemn these violent a-holes, then the rest of us have the right to keep them off planes, to keep ourselves safe.

tickleddragon on March 25, 2007 at 11:22 AM

As someone who lives in the state of Minnesota, I’d like to offer the Imam’s a peace of advice: Sit Down and Shut Up!

A commercial aircraft s not your personal property. It is owned by a corporation, in this case, and that corporation has the right to remove anyone from their property at any time for any reason. That’s called the Right of Ownership and the owners have the right to restrict access to their property.

A right of ownership is associated with property that establishes the good as being “one’s own thing” in relation to other individuals or groups, assuring the owner the right to dispense with the property in a manner he or she sees fit, whether to use or not use, exclude others from using, or to transfer ownership.

Don’t like that idea? Then start your own company and offer flights exclusively to Muslims. You can pray to Allah all you want and no one will bother you.

RedinBlueCounty on March 25, 2007 at 1:02 PM

…it’s the GOP that’s going to use the imams and their quirky little air-travel habits to get the bill killed.

As a libertarian conservative, it pains me to think that maybe legislation will be required to roll back this crippling PC one small piece at a time. And maybe legislation will be enabled only by our adversaries overplaying their hand.

petefrt on March 26, 2007 at 10:56 AM