Tony Snow to undergo surgery, recover for several weeks; Plus: HuffPost deathwishes

posted at 3:01 pm on March 23, 2007 by Ian

Best wishes to our pal Tony Snow, who’ll undergo surgery next week to remove a growth in his abdomen. He’ll be out of commission until sometime next month (and hopefully no later):

Presidential spokesman Tony Snow is undergoing surgery Monday to remove a growth in his lower abdomen, a procedure he said was being done “out of an aggressive sense of caution” because he had colon cancer two years ago.

He said Friday that tests since the growth was discovered have been negative, but that doctors decided to remove it to be sure.

“Please do not leap to conclusions about this because we don’t know what this is,” Snow told reporters. “We know it’s coming out and I know I’ll be back soon.”

Last May, during his first press conference, Tony got emotional explaining the meaning of his cancer bracelet to the White House press corps. Our prayers are with him.

Compassionate Huffington Post readers have expressed their prayers for Tony’s well being. NOT! Just like Cheney and Bush 41, a massive amount of death wishes have been unleashed on Tony Snow (thanks to Sox for the tip):

snow-hp-1-tn.JPG

snow-hp-2-tn.JPG
(click for larger version)

Update: Gibby debates callers who defend the far-left’s “well-wishes” for Tony Snow.

Comments

shameful.

triple on March 23, 2007 at 3:05 PM

Strange, I didn’t see this venom being spewed by conservatives about Elizabeth Edwards yesterday. What a stark contrast. My prayers are with Tony Snow and his family. He’s a great man.

liberty on March 23, 2007 at 3:09 PM

Godspeed for a fast recovery!

Ropera on March 23, 2007 at 3:09 PM

Liberals making death threats?

The day liberals separate “dissenting beliefs” from “pure evil” in their childish inner fantasy world is the day the sun rises in the West.

Lehosh on March 23, 2007 at 3:11 PM

From one cancer survivor to another Tony, God speed!

silenced majority on March 23, 2007 at 3:11 PM

Best wishes for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery, Tony. You’re one of the best, and we need you in this fight.

As for the moonbat scum, why would anybody be surprised? That’s who they are, and why we’re better than them.

ReubenJCogburn on March 23, 2007 at 3:12 PM

Prayers to Tony. I’m sure he’ll be fine. He’s one of those quiet tough guys, I think.

And for the record, the difference between the threads on Elizabeth Edwards here yesterday, and that Huffington Post thread on Snow, is all you need to know about the difference between conservatives and liberals.

All of you guys (well, almost all of you) proved that difference yesterday. The HuffPo reaction was sadly predictable.

But we ain’t them. And that’s something to be proud of.

Professor Blather on March 23, 2007 at 3:18 PM

Most of the conservative bloggers and commenters I saw yesterday were gracious and genuinely concerned about Elizabeth Edwards. The great majority wished her and her family well and hoped for her quick recovery.

I did see some harsh comments over at Free Republic, but they were directed at John, not Elizabeth. I saw not a single death wish or “she deserves it” comment just because she’s married to John Edwards. They were critical of his selfishness in continuing with his own ambitions in spite of her cancer. I understand their point, but I still don’t condone the harshness I saw there–I feel sorry for John and their children because cancer deeply affects the entire family.

Anyway, I don’t get the rancor directed at Tony Snow. He’s a genuinely nice guy, and he is after all just the messenger. They were very sympathetic yesterday when Elizabeth Edwards spoke of the fear and shock involved in finding anything that might signal a return of this awful disease. Tony and his family must be just as worried right now, and it’s just inhuman to be so cruel about it.

My thoughts and prayers are with Tony and his family, just as they are with the Edwards.

aero on March 23, 2007 at 3:19 PM

Everybody else who’s not even offended by this stuff anymore, the line forms behind me. [makes Charles Nelson Reilly noise] It’s like a little kid kicking your shin, except in this case you shouldn’t kick back higher.

Jim Treacher on March 23, 2007 at 3:21 PM

I certainly hope Arianna is proud of the community she created. It’s a keeper!

Tony Snow and his family will be in my prayers this evening.

Slublog on March 23, 2007 at 3:21 PM

Get well soon Tony! We are praying for you.

wytammic on March 23, 2007 at 3:25 PM

Guess this is another good opertunity for Huffpo to curtail the 1st amendment rights of some of their clientele. How’s Bill Maher going to explain this one?

JohnnyD on March 23, 2007 at 3:28 PM

I’ll pray for you, Tony! God bless you and your family.

Matticus Finch on March 23, 2007 at 3:31 PM

Thats because WE are civilized people, and they are not.

Would our resident liberal trolls, Honora and Jahere22, want to comment on this and perhaps condem their fellow leftists for their hateful behavior? Or will they be silent and prove my point from yesterday?

georgej on March 23, 2007 at 3:34 PM

Tony’s one fine guy. With a knack for clear thinking and effective communication, he’s among the best press secretaries
in memory.

I hope the surgery turns out well for him, and
wish him a long and successful career in politics, if politics
is his choice.

petefrt on March 23, 2007 at 3:35 PM

But we ain’t them. And that’s something to be proud of.

Professor Blather on March 23, 2007 at 3:18 PM

You got that right…

Wow, just…wow…

I just don’t get these “progressive” folks…

Lonevoice on March 23, 2007 at 3:39 PM

Sure would like to meet a few of these brave souls behind the keyboard…

maintenanceman on March 23, 2007 at 3:45 PM

SOP for HuffPo. Here’s a current thread where a couple of guys are calling for for Bush to be assassinated. all in a day’s hate for HuffPo commenters.

juliesa on March 23, 2007 at 3:50 PM

These people are beneath contempt. But of course they don’t represent Huffpo or liberals; um, yeah.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Tony.

student on March 23, 2007 at 3:51 PM

Saying an extra prayer for you and your family tonight, Tony.

SCGOPgirl on March 23, 2007 at 3:55 PM

Is the FBI ever going to investigate any of these guys? Because you know these guys at the HuffPo would if they could.

- The Cat

MirCat on March 23, 2007 at 3:57 PM

Tony Snow is the epitome of graciousness. This is despicable.

CrimsonFisted on March 23, 2007 at 3:57 PM

My thoughts and prayers are with you Tony.

Buzzy on March 23, 2007 at 3:57 PM

Why can’t these people come face to face with a hammered off-duty Chicago cop?

benrand on March 23, 2007 at 4:02 PM

The Huffposeurs were fantasizing about Cheney’s assassination the other night and today it’s pretty tame in comparison. They justify it by taking an innocuous comment by Rush and twisting it, although as Rush noted today, the newtorks talking heads were also doing the same thing this morning.

I thought Rush was irrelevant and they didn’t pay attention to him?

JammieWearingFool on March 23, 2007 at 4:03 PM

God Bless, Tony. Colon cancer is a tough one and you have handled yourself so well.

Glynn on March 23, 2007 at 4:05 PM

We all love you, Tony, and wish you a speedy recovery. Your strength of will and courage in the face of illness and evil are inspirational to us all. Keep the faith, buddy!

stonemeister on March 23, 2007 at 4:08 PM

Tony will be back. He isn’t the one who spent a lifetime destroying doctor’s lives. We all know what a bitch karma can be.

manfriend on March 23, 2007 at 4:10 PM

Okay georgej, you want my opinion here it is:

Anyone wishing death upon Tony Snow is cruel and has some serious issues. I cannot speak for other Democrats, liberal, or trolls, but they are officially condemned by JaHerer22.

That said, some of those comments were rather funny, maybe a little inappropriate and off-color, but we all hate that PC stuff right? “Holding all that bullsh*t in your gut would make anyone sick.” Come on, that’s pretty good.

JaHerer22 on March 23, 2007 at 4:12 PM

Oh, too funny. I just went over there, and they’ve deleted the bad comments, and shut down the thread. Too late, since the screenshot is already up.

I think they’re wise to shut down this thread and the Cheney thread, but why on earth do they allow all the other nasty comments, like the ones justifying assassination or applauding the deaths of soldiers? Those are just as bad, if not worse.

juliesa on March 23, 2007 at 4:12 PM

Best wishes, Tony.

Here’s hoping you get a cute nurse for that first spongebath.

The Ugly American on March 23, 2007 at 4:17 PM

Oh, any announcement on who’s the substitute teacher?

- The Cat

MirCat on March 23, 2007 at 4:18 PM

Jim Treacher on March 23, 2007 at 3:21 PM

I guess I oughta get in line. I should be offended by the snot-nosed punks, but its become par for the course and so totally predictable I’m not really shaken by it. Some people are just scum, and we shouldn’t be shocked by it.

Bad Candy on March 23, 2007 at 4:22 PM

“they are officially condemned by JaHerer22″

Thank you for taking a stand here, on Hot Air.

Now how about you go to Huffpost and take it there as well?

georgej on March 23, 2007 at 4:25 PM

Ignore those a**holes. I don’t understand any of the vitrole or hatred pointed at any American.

I won’t even go there and conservatives never need to fight back, except with facts, ideas and positive energy.

This country is just ripe with anger and fear.

budorob on March 23, 2007 at 4:29 PM

I just emailed you and AP ian, they’re censoring comments at HuffPo!!! They’re removing all that crap to hide what their audience truly is.

Those comments you took screen shots of are now missing.

What’s odd, is a few of the comments that are left up are complaining about the vicious hateful comments… but I couldn’t find those vicious comments anywhere, it was pretty obvious what was going on, but the screen shots you took confirm my suspicions.

I’d like to compare those comments to yesterday’s Edwards’ wife thread:

What I’d REALLY like to see happen, is see mainstream coverage of this… and have anchors ask guests “why the difference?”

RightWinged on March 23, 2007 at 4:34 PM

Huffpos group of slime don’t sound much different
than gum chewing little punks at a show me contest.

Get well Tony and see ya in a few weeks.

Texyank on March 23, 2007 at 4:47 PM

When anyone generates as much hate as displayed on Huffpo it confirms relevancy.

God speed Tony.

Wade on March 23, 2007 at 5:08 PM

These comments from HuffPo are clearly isolated incidents from the fringe elements.

Again.

Hoodlumman on March 23, 2007 at 5:24 PM

All the best wishes in the world to Tony and his family.

The tinfoil hatted leftist loons have come out from under their rocks to bleat and whine and threaten…typical behavior for the “profound”!

sharinlite on March 23, 2007 at 5:24 PM

Right on Wade!!

I WISH those cowering turds at HoPole hated me as much as they do Tony…..I suppose I’d be honored by said bashing.

Cancer is insideous and is NOT a joking matter (but those retards are too self-consumed to care – about anything but themselves)

omnipotent on March 23, 2007 at 5:51 PM

Cancer is insidious and is NOT a joking matter (but those retards are too self-consumed to care – about anything but themselves)

omnipotent on March 23, 2007 at 5:51 PM

But remember, they’re “compassionate” liberals, though. Well, as compassionate as they are patriotic, anyway.

ReubenJCogburn on March 23, 2007 at 6:03 PM

Edwards has been elevated to near saint-hood by the MSM for doing….nothing really. Let’s see how the media fawns over Tony. I won’t hold my breath.

bmac on March 23, 2007 at 6:26 PM

RightWinged on March 23, 2007 at 4:34 PM

Thanks for the link to the Edwards post. Saves me from having to open the vault.

My best wishes to both Mr. Snow and Mrs. Edwards. As one who also went through colon surgery (I have Crohn’s), I cal fully sympathize with what Mr. Snow is facing. Today’s medical procedures truly are miracles and I know he will be fine.

RedinBlueCounty on March 23, 2007 at 6:59 PM

Best wishes for a speedy recovery and God Speed Tony. Our prayers are with you and your family.

I will also pray for the loons at Huffpo, that they may never find themselves in Tony’s shoes. May God forgive them.

Zorro on March 23, 2007 at 7:04 PM

MirCat on March 23, 2007 at 4:18 PM

“Breaking News Flash: President Bush is installing Dennis Miller as acting press secretary while Tony Snow recouperates from surgery”

Ok…. I can dream, can’t I????

Best wishes and a speedy recovery Tony!!

mrfixit on March 23, 2007 at 7:59 PM

>“pure evil”
>”moonbat scum”
>”Thats because WE are civilized people, and they are not”

Don’t worry you are NOT far more civilized or superior in anyway.

Calm down its a couple of post from individuals. Clearly they are ignorant. Tony does not make up the lies. Sadly he is told them to repeat.

Now Michelle post this to do what? FEED partisan US against THEM attitude. This will not really solve it. Is this to distract from Gonzales Gate and Bushies veto against getting out of Iraq.

Tony Snow is a nice guy, but he’s tricked into lying for the administration. That has to be hard on mind and body. By this, I mean he is told things that are faults and he just repeats it. Tony is not lying. It has happened many times. His evasiveness is stonewalling during press conferences is survival. I would not wish that job on an enemy.

Now with Gonzalez Gate he just says, Don’t ask me, ask them. That is a man who was been burned. I feel sorry for him. Have some compassion. A lot of people are sick of the lies coming from the Bush Whitehouse. You can pull vitriolic BS off of Right wing wacko websites or just listen to right wing radio and Fox, to get some not so subtle hate speech. I am all for civility, lets start here.

gmcjetpilot on March 23, 2007 at 8:17 PM

It is absolutely frightening to me….who are these people? And they expect to win ‘new converts’ to their point of view with this…..mind boggling. As others have noted before, contrast this with what the Edwards news garnered on “conservative’ sites. Truthfully, I find this mindset terrifying.

dustoffmom on March 23, 2007 at 9:17 PM

gmcjetpilot on March 23, 2007 at 8:17 PM

You just don’t get it do ya?

;-)

-Wasteland Man.

P.S. I disagree with Tony’s style sometimes but all in all he does an excellent job. Best wishes on your recovery Tony!!

WastelandMan on March 23, 2007 at 10:22 PM

gmcjetpilot on March 23, 2007 at 8:17 PM

Each of your posts are more stupid than the previous.

Tony Snow is tricked into lying? That alone qualifies you for idiot of the month.

Look at your buddies posts, wishing him death. Now look at the posts for Edwards wife from our sites. See a difference?

right2bright on March 23, 2007 at 10:38 PM

gmcjetpilot on March 23, 2007 at 8:17 PM

I don’t know what else to say other than… you’re a total douche.

RightWinged on March 23, 2007 at 10:50 PM

gmcjetpilot, I keep hearing about the administrations “lies” yet no one can tell me what they are. Sure, they talk about lying about wmd’s, but thats been proven a lie itself. WaPo even admitted that Hussain was 1 year from getting a nuke. Pluss the WMD issue was only one of many resolutions. its also not a lie because the Intel at that time (from global sources, not just cia) all said their were WMD’s in Iraq. I still beleive they were part of the HUGE “scrap metal” shipment to Syria, but I digress.

So please list some of the lies. not the standard liberals “We want them to be true so will disregard all the facts that debunk our desperate need to be validated in our hatred of Bush” lies. We already know that they are not true. Tell us the real ones.

If you can not find any then look deep into yourself and tell us why you hate Bush. I actually would like to read a coherant account for a change, as opposed to a bunch of circular logc that probaly has its begining in a childs twisted revenga fantasy abut their father punishing them for sticking a fire cracker up the dogs butt.

Wyrd on March 23, 2007 at 11:46 PM

gmcjetpilot on March 23, 2007 at 8:17 PM

Well, I guess you’re a tiny step up from the human trash at Huffpo, in that you didn’t actually wish harm on Snow, but I find it rather telling that you didn’t have anything nice to say, either. By the way, since you are apparently the master of all knowledge, why don’t you tell us why it is that lefties tend to wish death upon their opponents, especially in times of weakness, and righties tend to. . .not.

Anyway, I hope that the several weeks spent recovering is a conservative figure, because in my mind, the sooner he gets back to putting the hacks in the White House press corps in their place, the better.

Wolfman on March 24, 2007 at 6:54 AM

JaHerer22

Kind of sums you up in a nutshell doesn’t it?
PC correctness aside of course.

SPIFF1669 on March 24, 2007 at 8:43 AM

God bless Mr. Snow and his family. I look forward to celebrating his complete healing and recovery.

I’ll carry him in my heart.

doingwhatican on March 24, 2007 at 8:52 AM

I’m with Treacher. It’s despicable but it isn’t shocking.

Here’s hoping Tony is ok, and Elizabeth wins round two. She is facing a very mean cancer, and my heart goes out to her and her family. God bless em.

daveintexas on March 24, 2007 at 10:00 AM

The Cat asked

Oh, any announcement on who’s the substitute teacher?

Tony said at Fridays Press Briefing that Dana Perino will covering for him. Picture here.

dinasour on March 24, 2007 at 10:25 AM

They don’t like Mr. Snow because he used to work for Fox News. It’s got nothing to do with the fact he is President Bush’s Press Secretary.

You know… maybe he could kick that ancient, fat, liberal/commie witch out of her seat? I didn’t like the woman when *I* was at the White House (of course, I didn’t like Sam Donaldson much either… even though he has the same last name as me… NO RELATION — to the best of my knowledge). LOL

Rick Donaldson on March 24, 2007 at 12:20 PM

The rats at HuffPoo raised their heads again, as the latrine-party happily continued.

gmcjetpilot, while pilots are indignant again, the “Gonzales Gate” isn’t even a portico.

JaMann, your sense of humor is sick, in the clinical sense.

Entelechy on March 24, 2007 at 3:41 PM

When my lib friends ask me if I read lib blogs, My reply is,
“No, I would not read a liberal blog anymore than I would read a book written by a five year old. As a matter of fact there is no difference.”

My prayers go out to Elizabeth and Tony. These are trying times in more ways than one.

Wil on March 25, 2007 at 7:09 AM

Where are the dems denouncing these wackjobs?

csdeven on March 27, 2007 at 10:51 PM