Audio: Glenn Beck unloads on “fat witch” Rosie, angers Olbermann Update: Video added

posted at 7:45 am on March 23, 2007 by Ian

Audio:

beck.jpg

Glenn Beck chowed down Rosie O’Donnell like a bucket of meatballs. He was on her like white on rice. Okay, that’s enough. But seriously, he demolished her:

BECK: I can’t take it that Rosie O’Donnell can be put on ABC television, mainstream, unquestioned, by the mainstream media. She can say whatever she wants to say, she can take the sides with, what’s his name, Khalid Shaikh Mohammed, a guy who was the mastermind behind 9-11. She can make him into some sort of a martyr without anybody at ABC, NBC, CBS — mainstream media, they say nothing about that. Nothing. She goes off on her opinion every step of the way. But there’s a conservative on the set who’s shut down. You can’t just say your opinion. What the hell is this show all about, you fat witch? What is this show about?

###

BECK: I’m just — I’m saying, because the whale jokes and the blubber that she has just pouring out of her eyes –

STU: There’s no reason to go to her weight. I mean, she’s the type of idiot that watches documentaries online about 9-11 and conspiracies that a fourth-grader made on their PowerPoint and believes them. So there’s much more to go to on that direction than just her rolls and rolls of hideous fat.

BECK: Do you know how many oil lamps we could keep burning just on Rosie O’Donnell’s fat?

STU: See, that — that’s –

BECK: Sorry.

STU: You’re back to the facile whale jokes, and there’s no –

BECK: Think about how much perfume we could make out of Rosie O’Donnell. Again, too easy.

MSNBC’s Keith Olbermann, host of Countdown to No Ratings, was furious with Glenn for his “weightphobia.” It was just last year Olbermann called FNC’s Roger Ailes “fat ass.” Olbermann Watch has more in last night’s recap.

Update: Click the loser to watch:

(audio and transcript provided by Media Matters)

Comments

Hey Olby: Boo freakin’ hoo!

hillbillyjim on March 23, 2007 at 7:53 AM

Hey Olby: Boo freakin’ hoo!

hillbillyjim on March 23, 2007 at 7:53 AM

I see nothing wrong with what he said. His show, his opinion.

Mortis on March 23, 2007 at 8:06 AM

beck is totally
weightist
we girls have 2 stick
2gether

Beck is perhaps more blunt than I’d prefer, but he gets points for calling a leviathan a leviathan.

Jim Treacher on March 23, 2007 at 8:10 AM

She gets too much attention on The Spew, noone else needs to allow her more.

Freelancer on March 23, 2007 at 8:11 AM

Poor lard-arse O’Donnell….all meat, no brains. Just like anyone who watches her pathetic show and defends this freak of nature.

lynnv on March 23, 2007 at 8:12 AM

I believe JT has been spending way too much time on the Blob Blog. Scary.

hillbillyjim on March 23, 2007 at 8:15 AM

Keith Ovarymann is irrelevant.

Wade on March 23, 2007 at 8:21 AM

Rosie breached the surface again? Man the harpoons!

I love a good whale joke.

Lehosh on March 23, 2007 at 8:22 AM

I just went down to the beach and asked a couple of whales what they thought of this development.

It was unanimous. They are deeply offended at being compared to Rosie.

wccawa on March 23, 2007 at 8:25 AM

Glenn proves here why his radio show is superior to his TV show.

JasonG on March 23, 2007 at 8:26 AM

Rosie is a delicacy in Japan.

benrand on March 23, 2007 at 8:27 AM

That pic of Beck is hawt.

Tru2my2 on March 23, 2007 at 8:28 AM

“There she blows!–there she blows! A hump like a snow-hill! It is “… Rosie O’Donnell

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on March 23, 2007 at 8:45 AM

Stu has a point. Just attacking Rosies weight and appearance actually helps her. The people watching these weight attacks may feel some sympathy for the “poor unattractive women with a thyroid problem”.
Attack what she say. Attack he idiotic and dangerous opinions. Quit helping her by ignoring what she says and insulting her looks or weight.

Wyrd on March 23, 2007 at 8:50 AM

I heart Glenn Beck. Almost as funny as his song “Rollie Polley”, and the “Michael Moore Is Fat” shirts he sells.

danarchy on March 23, 2007 at 8:54 AM

I think Stu is in on the joke, judging by the last few words he says. Beck does this sort of planned “fight” with Stu all the time.

Slublog on March 23, 2007 at 8:56 AM

This might be a little off topic but a few weeks ago I saw that Olbermann Watch shut down; something about now that he got a fat new contract they felt they were doing more harm than good by giving him publicity. Now it looks like they are back up and running…is this a new site or did they change their minds? Does anyone know anything about this?

JaHerer22 on March 23, 2007 at 9:03 AM

Yes, perhaps the fat jokes are improper, however the “Chimpy McBuch” jokes fly and no one says a word.
The fact is that she is a horrid human being and that has nothing to do with her appearance.

bbz123 on March 23, 2007 at 9:08 AM

I believe JT has been spending way too much time on the Blob Blog.

Doesn’t take much. It’s not exactly brain surgery…

Jim Treacher on March 23, 2007 at 9:10 AM

Beauty is only skin deep… But ugly is to the bone?

Lehosh on March 23, 2007 at 9:11 AM

Hey, Olby: the jerk store called, and they’re all out of you!

Mike H on March 23, 2007 at 9:12 AM

The more time that passes, that more I love Glenn Beck–oh, yeah.

Jen the Neocon on March 23, 2007 at 9:13 AM

As it turns out, I’m an uglyist. And a stupidist. And an insanist.

Fat is the least (heh) of Rosie’s problems.

Pablo on March 23, 2007 at 9:20 AM

Stu and Glenn joked about “controversial statements” for ratings.

But, he sounded genuinely angry when he let the “fat witch” fly. It surprised me. He’s been a bit angry lately so it fits with his overall mood. He addressed that mood on the show yesterday. Regardless, I think he should drop the fat angry comments. In a banter bit with Stu, as part of a satirical ratings comedy ploy, fine, have your fun. But the name-calling distrats from his argument and he knows it.

Other than that he nailed it.

PS: I’m also glad to hear Olberman take a stand against outrageous statements for ratings. Bravo Olby, bravo…. You rise above it all. Or something.

DWB on March 23, 2007 at 9:23 AM

MAN THE HARPOONS!!!!!!

Darth Executor on March 23, 2007 at 9:24 AM

It is only “mean speak” if it is untrue.

right2bright on March 23, 2007 at 9:26 AM

I heard Glenn’s show, and he’s dead-on. He’s also riotously funny! By comparison, Olberman has nothing intelligent to offer, and will feign whatever outrage it takes to try to get his name in the paper.

SpartRan on March 23, 2007 at 9:33 AM

Glenn proves here why his radio show is superior to his TV show.

Amen. Something about the TV camera that adds 20 pounds while simultaneously shrinking the testicles. Hence “The View.”

Glenn is pure gold when he lets loose on the radio.

saint kansas on March 23, 2007 at 9:43 AM

Is this the same ko…the reason I don’t listen to the dan patrick show on espn radio…he has a face that looks like ro’s fat a** with glasses…just my opinion…

areseaoh on March 23, 2007 at 9:44 AM

Attacking her arguments doesn’t sell. Attacking her does. It’s that simple. Attacking Bush’s policy in Iraq doesn’t sell. Calling him a Nazi or Hitler does. Our culture rewards over-the-top reactions. Sensible and calm critique is b-o-r-i-n-g, but mocking people is fun and exciting.

Setting all that aside, that was freaking hilarious!! I’m sure Olbermann was shrieking like a schoolgirl when he heard it. Too funny.

windbag on March 23, 2007 at 10:00 AM

Odorman will now give Glenn some kind of prize. He seems to like to do that.

Glynn on March 23, 2007 at 10:03 AM

Maybe Glenn did the equivalent of firing a few rounds off in the air to get everyones attention, so then he can then take her apart with a reasoned argument in front of a bigger audience.

Bad Candy on March 23, 2007 at 10:06 AM

She could always lose the weight, but she’ll never be free of the ugly! or the insane, or the idiotic, or the..

Viper1 on March 23, 2007 at 10:21 AM

I love Glenn. But I wish he’d lose the fat jokes.

Not that I didn’t laugh – and not that she doesn’t so richly deserve it.

But the problem is that when you attack somebody personally, for something other than the reason you’re really attacking them, a lot of people reflexively come to that person’s defense. And, of course, there’s a whole slew of fat folks out there who – although they might loathe Rosie – aren’t going to like Beck, either.

More important though are the clear-thinking folks on the fence (the ones who swing elections), who could really be brought over to our side because of slime like Rosie – if she was exposed in the right way.

Beck could and should demolish her on the grotesque things she does and says. If he (and others) did it right, Rosie could be turned into a wonderful recruiting tool for conservatives.

Juvenile slams about her Jabba the Hut physique are a waste of that opportunity. What she says and does out to enrage people. Don’t let her off the hook by giving her victim status, to some people.

Professor Blather on March 23, 2007 at 10:32 AM

Bravo, Glenn.

petefrt on March 23, 2007 at 11:08 AM

I agree w/ the Professor. If people are shown just how stupid crazy her remarks are, and realize this is how most of the left is thinking too, more will turn away from them. Don’t give her victim status.

StephC on March 23, 2007 at 11:21 AM

Jim, not sure if you’re keeping up with comments on this thread, but that was a great impression of Rosie’s blog.

Ian on March 23, 2007 at 12:23 PM

Rosie is a delicacy in Japan.

benrand on March 23, 2007 at 8:27 AM

Winner.

spmat on March 23, 2007 at 1:02 PM

Oops. I guess it’s now time to denounce Glenn Beck and send him to rehab for his hurtful and mean remarks.

Misha I on March 23, 2007 at 1:05 PM

Woah. Queef Slobbermann is a hypocrite? Who knew! [/extreme sarcasm]

JinxMcHue on March 23, 2007 at 1:30 PM

thx ian
u r 2 kind
its like haiku
with even less
effort

Jim Treacher on March 23, 2007 at 1:35 PM

Yet when people attack President Bush and his supporters a lot of people think nothing of it and allow it to happen on a daily bases without recrimination. Some even encourage it. It looks like President Bush and other republicans are fair game but no one else is, especially if they are the ones attacking Bush. Is this what the left calls the Fairness Doctrine?

I think that’s the point Glenn Beck is trying to make. Apparently it’s ok to verbally attack President Bush in public and on national television, but no one is allowed to attack people like Rosie despite Rosie’s, and other’s, continuing assault of the President.

Personally, I don’t think people should be allowed to verbally attack anyone in public or on TV. This is insulting and demeaning and I was taught that this type of behavior is not appropriate in public.

RedinBlueCounty on March 23, 2007 at 2:12 PM

“Fat Witch”. Speaking truth to power?

DannoJyd on March 23, 2007 at 2:52 PM

Calling the MSM networks what they are. GOOD FOR YOU
Mr. Beck.

Now, Do it on your TV show damnit.

Obie. Piss off, Take a long rehab cruise to anywhere
that accepts communists. like France or something.

Texyank on March 23, 2007 at 3:01 PM

Update: Click the loser to watch:

No thank you…

lan astaslem on March 23, 2007 at 3:57 PM

I still think we should devote thousands of column inches to denounce Glenn Beck’s hate speech. How else are we going to prove how much better we are? That is, after all, the only reason for living. I might be defeated and dead, but at least I never called anybody a faggot or a fat witch.

Who knows, if we keep demonstrating our moral superiority by abiding by rules they don’t even know, they might start liking us and admit that we’re right!

Misha I on March 23, 2007 at 5:37 PM

1/4 of the country is retarded

but

1/2 of the country is fat

He just made a lot of lardass enemies!

If one of them is Rosie, it was well worth it.

omnipotent on March 23, 2007 at 6:04 PM

you just pushed up his ratings by this posting

Kini on March 23, 2007 at 8:18 PM

Her lard I could care less about.

Its her voice… that cackling, warbling klaxon under the Crisco that is truly hideous.

It could etch glass. At forty paces.

(With the word “DELUSIONAL in the font dingbat.)

Any man who takes on radical Islam and this vessel of behemothish blubber is welcome at my bar-b-que anytime.

profitsbeard on March 23, 2007 at 10:55 PM

There is plenty to attack Rosie about based on what comes out of her mouth. No need to focus so much on what goes in it. I agree with others that just calling Rosie fat all the time is not an effective way to call attention to the stupidity of what she says. How effective has it ever been for the other side to call Rush a big, fat idiot? I know every time I ever heard a criticism of Rush prefaced with a snide remark about his weight, I just rolled my eyes and ignored whatever the person said after that. In my mind, fat jokes indicate that the critic has no valid argument, so he or she had to resort to base insults instead.

Rosie would be just as stupid and wrong if she looked like Tyra Banks.

And those of you who are arguing that the other side resorts to base insults all the time, so this somehow validates you using the same strategy–shame on you. We’re better than they are, remember?

aero on March 24, 2007 at 2:29 AM

Glenn Beck used to be a little heavy, back in his local-radio days here in Florida. Do I smell absolute moral authority with regard to weight issues? I think I do.

Mark Jaquith on March 25, 2007 at 2:16 AM