Breaking: Edwards set to suspend campaign over wife’s illness; Update: Edwards will not suspend campaign

posted at 11:26 am on March 22, 2007 by Allahpundit

Sounds like her cancer has recurred. Awful. I’m no fan of the Silky one but I didn’t want to see him go this way.

Standby.

Update: Michelle got to Moran’s post before I could link but it’s spot on so I’m linking it anyway. He’s a distant third and the primary schedule doesn’t favor him so he can’t afford a long absence. Hopefully his wife’s cancer isn’t aggressive, in which case maybe he’s only out for a month or two.

Assuming he’s out for good, does this tempt Gore? Edwards at this point is just a poor man’s Goracle anyway: white, southern, showily environmentalist, and a veteran of national campaigns. The only difference is Silky’s class demagoguery, but that shouldn’t pose too much of a problem. Gore could enter, take most of Edwards’s 10% and draw another 10 from Hillary and Obama (mostly Hillary) and he’d be right in the thick of it. What am I missing?

Update: Taegan Goddard‘s hearing the same thing as Politico.

Update: Surprise! Edwards just said he won’t be suspending his campaign.

I don’t think Politico and Goddard got played so much as they might have been working off stale information. Edwards’s wife said that the news about her condition looked grim until only yesterday, when they got more test results back and things looked brighter. So maybe the plan had been to suspend and then got cancelled at the eleventh hour.

Update: When I say her condition looked better than first though, I mean relatively:

Medical tests yesterday confirmed that Elizabeth Edwards’ cancer has spread to the bone, the couple announced.

“The biopsy showed the cancer had returned and it was malignant,” John Edwards said. “We are very optimistic about this.”

The cancer is not curable but it is treatable, John Edwards said.

He compared it at the presser to diabetes, something that’ll have to be managed for the rest of the life.

Update: As suspected, Ben Smith says his source had only heard the results of the first round of medical tests, not the newer one.

Comments

Is it stage four? My understanding is that if a metastatic cancer is caught quickly enough, the survival rate is higher, because the “new” cancer has not progressed as far as the original cancer. Either way, the Edwards family is going to need some prayer over the next few years.

Slublog on March 22, 2007 at 1:26 PM

I’m hearing stage four.

I’m not expert on cancer, but when my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer we were told that if it spread to any other organ that it would be lethal, period.

And it’s true, even if what she has is something she can survive, she still needs prayer. I remember that much from a few years ago.

No. The 5-year mark has historically been the mark at which one is considered cancer-free if it doesn’t come back.

steveegg on March 22, 2007 at 12:51 PM

I’ve never heard that. When does the five-year mark begin? After treatment or what?

Esthier on March 22, 2007 at 1:40 PM

Amen, Bob.

Anton on March 22, 2007 at 1:43 PM

I’m hearing stage four.

That’s awful news. She’s sure taking it well, though.

Slublog on March 22, 2007 at 1:43 PM

The five year mark refers to those who have been cancer free for five years. They are considered cured. Edwards said is wife is no longer “curable.” She will now have cancer. Period. They will treat it and the survival rate for those with cancer caught this earlier is 5 yrs or more.

Rightwingsparkle on March 22, 2007 at 1:48 PM

My prayers and best wishes to Mrs. Edwards. I lost a family member to cancer. Wouldn’t wish that on anyone.

and as for:

I’m the class expert on ‘foot-in-mouth’…y’all have had to straighten me out plenty of times. This is about Elizabeth’s misfortune not John’s opportunities. We all have a dark side…..just something to keep in mind. That foot o mine tastes pretty nasty.

Limerick on March 22, 2007 at 12:56 PM

I have aquired the taste!

PinkyBigglesworth on March 22, 2007 at 1:49 PM

Strong woman. She’s got my vote for First Lady.

Not sure about her husband though… If it were me I wouldn’t dare sink myself into some crazy campaign and possible political office which would sap what little time I had left with my beloved.

That’s just me though.

/got priorities?

mojowire on March 22, 2007 at 1:52 PM

Best wishes and prayers for Mrs. Edwards and her family during this very tough time.

conservator on March 22, 2007 at 1:54 PM

Bob said it best. I pray that her treatment may even better than hoped for, and may her husband reevaluate where he puts his time and energy and focus.

INC on March 22, 2007 at 2:01 PM

“Recurred” ?

I hate to be the cold-hearted one, but…

You can’t call li’l johnny edwards a “faggot” anymore, because his wife has cancer.

The Shield of Infallibility raises it’s ugly, malignant head again, with a new twist.

Yes…I question the timing.

franksalterego on March 22, 2007 at 2:03 PM

Slublog, I’ve got some water here if you’re thirsty.

Mmmmmm…lib PC water. So cool, so thirst quenching.

John from WuzzaDem on March 22, 2007 at 2:09 PM

Slublog, I’ve got some water here if you’re thirsty.

Mmmmmm…lib PC water. So cool, so thirst quenching.

Water? WTF?

Where’s my kool-aid?

Slublog on March 22, 2007 at 2:11 PM

Dude, you’re supposed to wash the kool-aid down with the water. Didn’t they tell you that at the indoctrination camp?

John from WuzzaDem on March 22, 2007 at 2:14 PM

I’m sorry for Mrs. Edwards, and I hope she can live a long time relatively pain-free.

Yet, I can’t help but not only question the timing, but theorize that John now has the Absolute Moral Authority card. Further, he can whip out their situation every time he talks about his pet issue, universal health care.

How can anyone say anything negative about him anymore on the campaign trail?

Darksean on March 22, 2007 at 2:15 PM

Yes, John’s hug may have saved Elizabeth’s life. Video from my local news here.

Valiant on March 22, 2007 at 2:15 PM

Priorities: Wife?…Politics?

I can think of nothing MORE disgusting, than using your wife’s tragic circumstance for political puposes.

But then, it looks like, business as usual.

I could be wrong

franksalterego on March 22, 2007 at 2:22 PM

Yes…I question the timing.

franksalterego on March 22, 2007 at 2:03 PM

I wish you wouldn’t.

Esthier on March 22, 2007 at 2:33 PM

Cancer and disease can happen at any time.

Questioning the timing can be done at your local place of worship.

Ringmaster on March 22, 2007 at 2:35 PM

“The cancer is not curable but it is treatable, John Edwards said.”

Unfortunately this is just a delicate way of saying its terminal. Like many others Im not a fan of Edwards but wish him and his family the best and always have hope.

Doctorted on March 22, 2007 at 2:38 PM

I don’t like John Edwards, but I like cancer quite a bit less. I certainly wouldn’t wish this predicament on him and his wife. May Elizabeth Edwards get as well as she can as long as she can given the stage iv diagnosis, and may she receive the best treatment possible. May she still have a long, meaningful, and pain-free life.

As for the campaign, uh, John, your wife needs you. The campaign trail will take away the energy that she will need to fight. What are you thinking?

flutejpl on March 22, 2007 at 2:40 PM

I certainly hope she can recover.

I havent read all the previous posts, so I’m sure this has been covered . . . but. . . . if he isnt going to stop his campaign, and she is going to campaign too, then what was the purpose of going public?

Labamigo on March 22, 2007 at 2:43 PM

Best wishes to the Edwards family. We can argue policy another day.

Valerie on March 22, 2007 at 2:46 PM

Seriously, stumping all over the USA is not the best use of your time John. Your wife does indeed need you. But I reckon some things may be more important?

Malpaso on March 22, 2007 at 2:49 PM

I think a positive mental attitude can sometimes be an “x factor” of sorts that allows someone to heal more quickly from certain medical conditions.
Slublog on March 22, 2007 at 1:13 PM

That is a much better way of explaining it than the way I did.

csdeven on March 22, 2007 at 3:01 PM

But what kind of a man campaigns for the Presidency while his wife is undergoing chemotherapy and radiation, competing for an office that will consume the remaining expected years of his wife’s life?

Anil Petra on March 22, 2007 at 1:19 PM

I have considered that quite a bit since hearing of this. I think it might be possible that she would feel extreme guilt if he were to quit now. Having said that, I’m sure there is a point where he would insist that he end the campaign.

csdeven on March 22, 2007 at 3:06 PM

If that makes me PC (snort) or a “pseudo” whatever, I’ll somehow manage to get through the day.
Professor Blather on March 22, 2007 at 1:37 PM

Judge yourself by whatever standards make you comfortable.

csdeven on March 22, 2007 at 3:11 PM

How can anyone say anything negative about him anymore on the campaign trail?

Darksean on March 22, 2007 at 2:15 PM

That horse$hit has already started here. Heck, you can’t even say anything about his moonbat followers.

csdeven on March 22, 2007 at 3:15 PM

Best wishes and prayers to Mrs. Edwards and her family. Excluding her husband. Where are your priorities man?? She is your spouse, your mate, friend, the mother of your children and your lover, you have to make the most of the time you have. She should be his #1 priority.

ChrisIansNana on March 22, 2007 at 3:18 PM

For a good laugh check out Andrew Sullivan…

At first he praise Edwards when it looked like he was going to suspend his campaign…

Edwards Suspends Campaign

22 Mar 2007 12:17 pm

He does it because his wife has a recurrence of cancer in some degree to be further explored. It is of a piece with his character to do this; and a simple testament that he has the right priorities and values to be a president of the United States. Sorry, Ms Coulter. But this man will be remembered for a character you do not even want to possess.

Then when it was learned he wasn’t going to suspend it He still praises “his character”…

Edwards Forges On

22 Mar 2007 12:39 pm

So, despite earlier reports, Edwards will not suspend his campaign. Good for him. The diagnosis is not as dire as it seemed only a little time ago, it seems. And if anyone did not know of Elizabeth Edwards’ extraordinary character before, they do now. What I saw in this press conference was the reality of family values – not the rhetoric, not the divisiveness, not the politics, just the reality of an actual family dealing with real issues. We all face such issues. Cancer survivors and their families know it all too well. So do those of us who live with HIV, diabetes, Parkinsons and many other diseases that patients can now live with, rather than die from. In this, John Edwards is doing a public service. He was admirably candid about his wife’s cancer being treatable, if not curable. That paradigm is increasingly common – and it’s affirming to see someone in public life live through it so positively, so admirably and so passionately. She shouldn’t give in to it. One key to surviving serious illness is to live positively and candidly while you treat it. With HIV, I learned to repeat to myself a triad that was essential to surviving any serious medical condition: Own it, face it, beat it. That’s what the Edwardses did today, and they will help a lot of people through their example.

The campaign should go on, as life goes on. The cancer should neither help nor hurt it. But I will say this: Elizabeth Edwards is a truly remarkable human being. And her marriage is an inspiration.

You can’t have it both ways Andy.

mlong on March 22, 2007 at 3:27 PM

I wish his wife the best, a quick recovery and good health.

I cannot and will not say the same for his campaign.

xardoz on March 22, 2007 at 3:30 PM

I do hope Elizabeth will be ok. This type of news is horrible, and having small children to think of too would be heart wrenching. She seems very strong, and in good spirits. I hope her positive outlook on this will help her through this.

StephC on March 22, 2007 at 3:36 PM

He’s not dropping out? Nuts. Oh well.. Hope his wife can manager her cancer. Best wishes to her, not so much to John.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on March 22, 2007 at 3:39 PM

And DaveS was spot-on… Lawrence/csdeven… now is not the time to be ‘questioning the timing’.

dalewalt on March 22, 2007 at 12:06 PM

I disagree.

With all due respect and well wishes to Ms. Edwards for a speedy recovery.

Isn’t it just a bit fishy that Edwards claims he might quit and within 48 hours he says he won’t? There is absolutely no point to this. There is absolutley no reason we in the general public need to know about Ms. Edward’s private medical problems.

If there is any bad form here it is Mr. Edwards using his wifes illness as a way to gain sympathy for his political career.

Lawrence on March 22, 2007 at 3:41 PM

I find it easy to seperate politics and personal when it comes to things like this.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the Edwards family.

Buzzy on March 22, 2007 at 3:47 PM

I am so proud of all of you, today.

Really : )

The Ugly American on March 22, 2007 at 3:50 PM

Edwards is being killed by callers in Boston. Of coarse, we are really cynical people.

Listen live

TheBigOldDog on March 22, 2007 at 4:00 PM

After this afternoon’s press conference, do you think MORE or LESS about John Edwards?
More 25%
Less 75%

TheBigOldDog on March 22, 2007 at 4:05 PM

Lawrence on March 22, 2007 at 3:41 PM

Geraldine Ferraro just brought up the point that a lot of people are not able to afford the medicine that Elizebeth is going to need. And John, if he didn’t know that before, he’ll know it now.

Someone here nailed that just moments after this announcement.

csdeven on March 22, 2007 at 4:09 PM

Best wishes for the Edwards family.

With that being said, what the hell is Edwards thinking?? This guy is running around in circles trying to catch the favorable political wind. What’s he going to say now? That his advisors gave him bad advise on suspending the campaign, and that went against his gut feeling?? Seriously, this guy is something else.

Rick on March 22, 2007 at 4:19 PM

First off, I wish Mrs. Edwards well…and it’s disheartening that she can not really ever get rid of what she has now..but can only manage it.

My opinion hasn’t changed about edwards running, I think he is the same character to not trust and I find his decision to go forward rather selfish. Running for President and campaigning is probably one of the most stressful things one can do…and with an illness that will not improve but just be managed, I see it as lame on his part. I thought it was really stupid to put it to the press today that either you go on or you hide in the corner. To scale back on doing the most stressful job and subject your wife to it no matter how much you try to shield her, is not hiding in a corner.

Highrise on March 22, 2007 at 4:39 PM

The depth of my own cynicism was revealed to me during the presser. When I heard that “nothing would change” in the campaign, I wondered why, then, hadn’t they just sent out a detailed press release – and answered questions on the road – instead of having a live, all-network stand-up. Then, when Mrs. Edwards said “It’s not about John…It’s about the People…”, my mind just said “oh, campaign event”, and I hit the “Off” button. Too cynical?

eeyore on March 22, 2007 at 4:42 PM

If I had cancer and I had young children, I’d spend every minute I could with them.

My thoughts and prayers are with Mrs. Edwards and I hope that research will develop a way to cure her cancer so she can see her children grow up.

Ellen on March 22, 2007 at 4:50 PM

I’ve sort of admired Elizabeth Edwards ever since she dragged Teresa Heinz to Wendy’s for dinner. Let them eat chili!

Speaking of the timing, remember that far-right-wing Republican who faked his own paralysis just to garner the sympathy vote?

Of course not, because it didn’t happen, so Tim Robbins had to make it up in Bob Roberts. Because conservatives are like that. Eeeeeeeeeeeevil.

saint kansas on March 22, 2007 at 4:51 PM

Not all that cynical Eeyore, that was a lame line they used. Even mr. edwards admitted that the doctor told him that saying that phrase would be best said by his wife. I can’t beleive he admitted that in this press conference..it sounded pathetic. I will always believe he is a total tool..bumbling idiot. His wife is too good for him.

Highrise on March 22, 2007 at 4:52 PM

There is nothing nefarious going on. Give it a rest.

tomas on March 22, 2007 at 5:03 PM

God Bless Elizabeth Edwards and her children.

LegendHasIt on March 22, 2007 at 5:06 PM

Elizabeth is lucky. My mother found out she had bone cancer when she bent over to tie her shoe and her back broke. She actually went on to work at both of her jobs that day with a fractured vertebrae! It took doctors a month to figure out that she had bone cancer, lung cancer (where the cancer originated), and to perform a procedure that fixed the broken vertebrae. In that month I witnessed a human being in the worst pain imaginable. I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy.

Having said all that, I’m not sure it’s a good idea that Elizabeth Edwards hit the campaign trail. If she doesn’t know the extent of the bone cancer, she could end up breaking her back just like my mother did. Or her hip. Or some other bone that could cause excruciating pain and permanent damage.

jaleach on March 22, 2007 at 5:09 PM

Someone here nailed that just moments after this announcement.

Cavuto should have pointed out to Ferraro that if Edwards and his ilk are left unfettered, there won’t be any more drugs developed to help patients like his wife.

Dudley Smith on March 22, 2007 at 5:10 PM

So, basically, what this all comes down to is that, unless you’re a friend or family to Mr. and Mrs. Edwards, there was no story here…

Doghouse on March 22, 2007 at 5:35 PM

There is nothing nefarious going on. Give it a rest.

tomas on March 22, 2007 at 5:03 PM

I agree, there probably isn’t something nefarious at play; however, there appears to be some true ignorance taking place in that camp.

Rick on March 22, 2007 at 5:49 PM

Doghouse on March 22, 2007 at 5:35 PM

IMHO, the more interesting development is the attackshere at Hot Air by conservatives on other conservatives for words that question the motives of those on the loony left.

csdeven on March 22, 2007 at 5:49 PM

Is that a black helicopter I hear? Because it sounds like a black helicopter.

John from WuzzaDem on March 22, 2007 at 6:31 PM

LOL, John.

The Ugly American on March 22, 2007 at 6:38 PM

Now, let us imagine that this were HuffPo, and it were Dubya announcing that Laura had cancer.

What would this comment section be saying?

fusionaddict on March 22, 2007 at 6:45 PM

What would this comment section be saying?

fusionaddict on March 22, 2007 at 6:45 PM

They wouldn’t be attacking other liberals for what they say about Bush supporters.

csdeven on March 22, 2007 at 6:51 PM

>words that question the motives of those on the loony left.

I didn’t think there was any need to question the motives of those on the loony left. We know that their motives are consistently bad. If John Edwards accidentally had good/neutral intentions or motive in this case, that’s great. It’s likely that it won’t happen again, so it doesn’t really mean anything either way.

Regardless of his motives, he will get votes because of the unfortunate illness that his wife has.

Doghouse on March 22, 2007 at 7:11 PM

csdeven on March 22, 2007 at 5:49 PM

csdeven on March 22, 2007 at 6:51 PM

Dude. Take a very large pill and give yourself a warm hug. We get it. We got it the first 27 times you made exactly the same off-topic point, too. You’re the bestest conservative of them all, the rightiest of the right, and you’re being oppressed by the rest of us RINOs and supersecret liberal double-agents.

We get it. Really.

Remind me again: who exactly is attacking conservatives here? Are you the pot or the kettle? Oh – wait. We’re not conservatives. You are. Right?

You’re being such a faggot.

Dig the irony.

Is that a black helicopter I hear? Because it sounds like a black helicopter.

John from WuzzaDem on March 22, 2007 at 6:31 PM

(Snerk)

God Bless Elizabeth Edwards and her children.

LegendHasIt on March 22, 2007 at 5:06 PM

Now *that* is an on-topic conservative post. Amen.

Professor Blather on March 22, 2007 at 7:15 PM

So the cancer has spread to her bones and is not curable, but we’re supposed to believe that it’s not serious enough to prevent him campaigning?
Sorry, but incurable cancer in your bones sounds pretty serious to me and it seems like John Edwards is putting his personal ambition above his wife’s health.

forged rite on March 22, 2007 at 7:20 PM

I do not care for John Edward’s politics and can’t think of many worse than he to win an election. He stands for everything I oppose….but that is “politics’. My late husband waged a 5 year battle with lung/bone cancer before passing at 47. Like so many others, I have been there too and my heart sank last night over the news of the doctor’s visit and presser today. My thoughts and wishes go out to this family and especially the young children during what is going to be a most difficult time. I understand the “optimism” and brave faces and wish them all the best. For today, I have no snide comments about 28000 sq ft or multi-million dollar judgements…..not any of it worth a damn in the fight ahead. But speaking purely personally…..the campaign will continue? Every moment is now more precious, and to waste this time seems selfish to the extreme to me. I have to ask, what is he thinking??

dustoffmom on March 22, 2007 at 7:29 PM

Find it very unsettling to have such a grave, private and important matter being discussed via a press conference. Press release, fine. But the way it was handled … ? The subsequent Democrat spin only made the whole thing sink lower, using the circumstances of the woman’s medical condition as a metaphor for the campaign and how Edwards plans to run. Sorry. The desire for media attention for the campaign appeared to override dignity. Furthermore, with stresses of a presidential campaign, always on the road, long hours, running ragged, it seems incredible that Edwards would find that more important than investing in his wife and children during, especially, the next two years.
Head shakingly sad on too many levels.

naliaka on March 22, 2007 at 7:41 PM

Give us a break. Chill out, Blather.

petefrt on March 22, 2007 at 8:04 PM

csdeven: Are you trying to be a dick?

Because you’re succeeding brilliantly.

The Ugly American on March 22, 2007 at 8:22 PM

Professor Blather on March 22, 2007 at 7:15 PM

You’re losing it dude. I wasn’t speaking to you in those quotes.

I’m glad to hear that you “got it”. Aren’t you just the observant one. And who is this “we” you are talking about? Does someone have their hand up your back working your mouth?

Besides, didn’t you promise you were going to drop the whole thing?

You’re not impressing me here dude. This topic was opened up to more than well wishing for Elizabeth, so climb down off yer high horse and spare me the bs.

csdeven on March 22, 2007 at 8:26 PM

csdeven: Are you trying to be a dick?

Because you’re succeeding brilliantly.

The Ugly American on March 22, 2007 at 8:22 PM

What makes you say that?

csdeven on March 22, 2007 at 8:27 PM

>words that question the motives of those on the loony left.

Doghouse on March 22, 2007 at 7:11 PM

The loony left I was referring to was edwards supporters, not edwards. And yes, we know their motives are screwed up. My question was just how screwed up they were gonna get.

csdeven on March 22, 2007 at 8:31 PM

You’re being such a faggot.

Ach! Te rehab wit ye!!!

fusionaddict on March 22, 2007 at 8:32 PM

>My question was just how screwed up they were gonna get.

I don’t know if anyone can answer that one.
They’ve already exceeded my expectations so spectacularly.
Every time I think that they can’t get farther out into Wackyland, they find new territory to pioneer…

Doghouse on March 22, 2007 at 8:43 PM

I want my words struck from the record. His personal priorities are as screwed up as his national.

Still prayers for his wife, to live with such a man.

right2bright on March 22, 2007 at 12:43 PM

RW, you’re such a correct man. If you wouldn’t have posted (the above) comment to your own initial assessment, I had it already copied, ready to paste and write the same exact reply.

My mother died at her age of 33, when I was 13, of lymph node cancer. I work in hospitals. Recurring cancers are the worst and they can spread quickly to other areas; bone and brain are the most painful.

He made a horrible decision as a man and a husband. He will lose his wife and the presidency and regret this forever. I believe he was ill advised that a decision to quit might show weakness to lead, when in fact he should have only one priority now.

For those considering the counterargument, just look at how much weight Mrs. Edwards has lost already. She’s almost half the size. Also it was all about him today but, if you know a bit about psychology, there was much going on with her and it was all sad. He was almost physically detached from her and looking/acting like a glassy prince.

I wish the family all the best as this can be a slow, painful and devastating ordeal for years to come.

Entelechy on March 22, 2007 at 8:56 PM

Entelechy on March 22, 2007 at 8:56 PM

Well said and my thoughts too. Again, having gone down this road it was one of my first thoughts when I saw her today. This is tragic no matter his political thoughts. They have still very youngish children…..I have to wonder, has anyone talked Stage 4 metastisized (sp) cancer with her? She is in my thoughts yet I still have to wonder…..what are his priorities, what is he thinking?

dustoffmom on March 22, 2007 at 9:07 PM

I will talk about character. Not about JE’s character or certain ppl here, but ‘us’ as a whole.
I look here at ppl pouring their heart out and trully meaning it. I am sure all here that say they would pray are honest. This says a lot about ‘our’ character.

Now look over to the other side. They want Cheney DEAD when he has health problems. They wish GW would die. I could go on and on and on.

They preach love and peace but practice hate and vitriol….and the world believes them to be true….freaking twilight zone, I swear. I am sooooo confused….so I will go back to my theory that ppl are just freaking stooooooopid!

I have lived this disease’s torture through family ( mother, father, 3 uncles, 2 aunts) and would never wish anyone to deal with it. I am with most of you. I wish Mrs. Edwards the best and will keep her in my thoughts.

lsutiger on March 22, 2007 at 10:04 PM

Anyone notice he wasn’t holding her hands or anything during the announcement? I hope someone does a body language study on it. It would be interesting to see the results.

Tim Burton on March 22, 2007 at 10:12 PM

If he were my husband, I’d want him to focus on me and the children and put his personal ambitions to the side.
This may be selfish, but it’s true and I’d do the same if it were he who had the stage 4 cancer.
I will pray for Mrs. Edwards and I feel a lot of compassion and sympathy for her. What she’s going through is just awful. But they are rich and can afford the best care.
If they aren’t able to get the best care or drugs, it’s because of ambulance chaser lawyers like Edwards that are largely to blame and who have caused so many restrictions to be on current medical care.
You’ve got to wonder if the doctors treating Elizabeth don’t think twice or even thrice, “Will I be sued by Edwards if this treatment fails?”
I resent Edwards feeling he has to share this very private personal matter with the country (as should Elizabeth)–my husband’s mother died from cancer like this and we both have our own memories and feelings about it to deal with as do a lot of other Americans.
He should have quit the campaign quietly–there are plenty of Democrats running that have his same “vision” for both Americas as he does.
I feel infinitely more pity for her that he wants to drag her on the very rough road to the White House and God love her, she loves him enough to let him.
Bless her heart and pray that their children get some quality time with her.

Jen the Neocon on March 22, 2007 at 10:17 PM

Sorry right2bright, I had you confused – still, I meant all which I wrote – flying through comments because I’m out of town and catching up in between business. Regards,

Entelechy on March 22, 2007 at 10:49 PM

God Bless Elizabeth and her family in this trying time.

EricPWJohnson on March 22, 2007 at 11:09 PM

Well, headed to Vegas until monday, so if you want to continue this blather, you’ll have to commiserate by yerself until then.

csdeven on March 22, 2007 at 11:27 PM

It was blatant Political Posturing by The Silky Pony.

Too bad his wife has to be in tow behind this nitwit on the campaign trail.

George on March 23, 2007 at 1:37 AM

Elizabeth is obviously a devoted wife, who deserves respect and best wishes.

But I wonder, when they decided to continue running his campaign, did they decide to put Emma (about age 8) and Jack (about age 6) up for adoption, or just hire a nanny to get them through this fearful and possibly tragic time ahead.

John, being selfish is one thing, but calling a press conference to showcase it is… priceless.

petefrt on March 23, 2007 at 12:27 PM

Best wishes to the Edwards family. This has to be tough for them all and there are still young children at home. I wish them only the best. God be with them.

Glynn on March 23, 2007 at 5:12 PM

God bless Mrs. Edwards. Get well soon.

RedinBlueCounty on March 23, 2007 at 6:55 PM

You know, if John were to just completely get out of the campaign and devote himself to his dying wife for the next year or whatever time she has left I would respect that a lot. I’m sorry but I just don’t think his (their) course of action is wise. He’s young and I think that the American electorate would have a lot more respect for him four years later in a new campaign. What is this life all about anyway? He’s not willing to let go, even temporarily, of his ambition and this is not good.

I’m sure many of us had to let go of something “good” so that we could attain something better. Spending the last year of your wife’s life together as a couple would certainly be the better thing. When she gets to heaven I don’t think they’re even going to ask about the campaign.

I will certainly pray for her.

Mojave Mark on March 23, 2007 at 9:16 PM

I will certainly pray for her.

Mojave Mark on March 23, 2007 at 9:16 PM

Of all the sanctimonious bullshit. How lovely and easy to be able to sit back and pass judgment on how others handle misfortune. All you know is what you would do in this situation, that’s fine, let’s hope you never have to act on it.

What happens in a marriage is known to those two people, period. Keep in mind, unlike most people, this is not the worst thing that ever happened to the Edwards. In, out, in-between, may God be with them and spare them the insipid ramblings of fools.

honora on March 26, 2007 at 9:21 AM