Video: Obama says bring ‘em home, insists no one’s saying bring ‘em home

posted at 1:50 pm on March 21, 2007 by Allahpundit

I suspect this is less an example of self-contradiction than of creative editing by Larry King’s producers, but it’s amusing enough to warrant a post. The Economist, by way of Glenn and Jonah, plucked it from the transcript of Monday night’s show:

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP) OBAMA: And if George Bush doesn’t listen, then we’re going to make him listen because it’s time for us to bring our young people home.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

GEORGE BUSH, PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES: It can be tempting to look at the challenges in Iraq and conclude our best option is to pack up and go home. That may be satisfying in the short run, but I believe the consequences for American security would be devastating.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

KING: Senator Obama, you disagree with that. He says it would be devastating to leave now. You say no.

Why not?

OBAMA: Well, first of all, I don’t know anybody who’s been talking about packing up and going home.

The clip below continues past the point where the transcript ends to show what the Economist doesn’t tell: that he clarified by saying we shouldn’t pack up and leave the region, especially Afghanistan. Then, a few minutes later, he said, “I think that there is room for providing logistical training, counter-terrorism support for Iraqis if they have met various benchmarks that would allow our — our assistance to be effective.” So what he really wants is some of our “young people” brought home at some point depending upon how cooperative the Iraqi government is. But that doesn’t make for much of a stump speech, which is why his comments in front of the crowd are a little less “nuanced” than the ones for Larry’s consumption.

Comments

Who the heck is this empty suit again?

Enrique on March 21, 2007 at 1:54 PM

Typical clarity from the Dems on Iraq

Dudley Smith on March 21, 2007 at 1:59 PM

what works in front of a crowd of leftageous morons doesn’t work so well on Larry King… hmm, I take that back

Opinionnation on March 21, 2007 at 2:01 PM

Barack Hussein Obama, a front runner for the Democratic Presidential Nomination: Can’t Even Remember What He Said.

amerpundit on March 21, 2007 at 2:02 PM

I suppose it would be too much to ask, “Bring them home, and then what?”

If we’re going to bring them home, could we at least post them along our borders?

MmmmmmmmmmmmNo.

saint kansas on March 21, 2007 at 2:08 PM

Obama is such an empty suit that it’s hard to parody him. More stuff like this will help, though.

frankj on March 21, 2007 at 2:18 PM

I’ve been trying to understand, and have long believe it’s because he’s black, because he really doesn’t offer anything different than the rest of the candidates. I don’t think it’s “white guilt” the way some do, I just think that liberals (which, let’s face it are college kids and those who are stuck in that mindset) would just like to be able to say they voted for a black guy. This guy isn’t some unique guy, other than his skin color.

But nooooooooow I understand why the so many Dems/libs love this guy… It turns out he DOES stand out from the crowd, in that he’s already rivaling John Kerry for biggest douchiest lying panderer the country has ever seen. And oh yeah, Bloody Sunday lead to his birth… even though he was 4 years old at the time. He’s got my vote! If he can time travel, I can’t think of a reason not to vote for him!

RightWinged on March 21, 2007 at 2:21 PM

Can you imagine his wife as First Lady? That is enough for me not to vote for him!

Not that I would vote for any of the empty (pant)suits on the Dem side.

CrimsonFisted on March 21, 2007 at 2:21 PM

Magic Negro – you bring them home.

Wade on March 21, 2007 at 2:24 PM

Shorter version: he’ll tell people absolutely anything he thinks they want to hear.

COURAGE. INTEGRITY. FORTITUDE. DEMOCRATS!

Mike H on March 21, 2007 at 2:34 PM

I’m surprised Larry King’s producer didn’t edit his comments so he didn’t look like a complete idiot. National Review listed him as the most liberal person in the Senate, based on his voting record, and he clearly is prone to frequent mistakes and gaffes. I don’t see him getting the Democratic nomination for President. Of course, that means it will probably be the hildebeast.

liberty on March 21, 2007 at 2:35 PM

“What have the Romans ever done for us?”

TallDave on March 21, 2007 at 2:36 PM

This guy is like an old Monty Python skit and SNL’s compulsive liar all rolled into one. He’s good looking so the media has annointed him but each time he opens his mouth he appears more and more empty.

Maybe the Dhemocrats have found their man, an odd combination of hubris and vapidity.

Mojave Mark on March 21, 2007 at 2:47 PM

B. Hussein Osama, er Obama: Another lying DEMOCRAP.

DEMOCRATS SUCK!

georgej on March 21, 2007 at 2:58 PM

I’m beginning to think that I underestimated Obama. I think he will give Hillary a run for her money and what a WONDERFUL show it will be. I love seeing Hillary sweat.

Over spring break I talked to a lot of people who really like Obama. They think he is refreshing. Do they know anything he believes in? No. But that’s Americans. We like our stars no matter what.

I feel so relieved that Hillary might not slid into the white house, I almost feel grateful to Obama. And the icing on the cake is that Jesse and Al Sharton are all “what???” about him. Hilarious.

He or Hillary can’t beat McCain though. So, I’m not worried.

Rightwingsparkle on March 21, 2007 at 3:03 PM

He reminds me more of Mr. Kimball from Green Acres. Well, not really reminds me. Resembles. Well, not really resembles, more like is similar to. Well, not actually similar to……

The thing about Dems is that they intentionally bring people forward that nobody knows much about because the more you know them the less you like or believe them. Just ask Jim Webb.

pistolero on March 21, 2007 at 3:04 PM

Remembering isn’t his strong suit, listening is.

Little brain, big ears.

fogw on March 21, 2007 at 3:07 PM

He or Hillary can’t beat McCain though. So, I’m not worried.

Rightwingsparkle on March 21, 2007 at 3:03 PM

They don’t have to worry about that, cuz McCain has zero chance of winning because he’s spit in the eye of every conservative he could get his hands on lately and pissed off the entire base.

Bad Candy on March 21, 2007 at 3:17 PM

I love seeing Hillary sweat.

You are a sick, sick individual……now I must go pluck my mindseye from it’s socket.

CBarker on March 21, 2007 at 3:25 PM

…I love seeing Hillary sweat….

Rightwingsparkle on March 21, 2007 at 3:03 PM

No thanks. I prefer “24″‘s token sweating.

steveegg on March 21, 2007 at 3:47 PM

Osama Obama is politically left of Lenin. Every time the magic negro opens his mouth the more apparent it is he’s an empty suit.

mcgilvra on March 21, 2007 at 3:48 PM

He said “Bring ‘em home” early on, because he knows how long the nutroots attention span is. That way, they wouldn’t still be paying attention when he clarified.

Pablo on March 21, 2007 at 3:58 PM

I went to votesmart.org and made a spreadsheet of Barack’s voting record side by side. Obama is in lock step with Kennedy. From all votes listed Barack was 5 votes away from having a perfect Kennedy rating. His voting record undermines the veracity of his rhetoric.

Theworldisnotenough on March 21, 2007 at 3:59 PM

Depends on how you define “bring”.

shaken on March 21, 2007 at 4:06 PM

Bad Candy,

So I hear. I’ve decided to stop defending McCain here. I’ll just wait until I can say “I told you so.”

Rightwingsparkle on March 21, 2007 at 4:09 PM

570 some days. Good thing the beer will last.

Yes, no, fight, don’t, maybe, of course…….it all boils down to using the military as a fire brigade. Great against the occasional accidental fire, bad against organized arson.

Something about this interview makes me feel like the wind has emptied from his sails. Dunno…can’t put my finger on it.

Limerick on March 21, 2007 at 4:23 PM

Ooooobama is the perfect Democrat: a Christian who’s not really Christian, a black who’s not really black, and an anit-war candidate who’s not really anti-war.

pedestrian on March 21, 2007 at 4:24 PM

All I can say is…that guy is magic.

right2bright on March 21, 2007 at 4:29 PM

I was thinking of requesting that people call me “The Magic Caucasian” from now on, but I think that “Magic Cauck” slips off the tongue a little more easily.

saint kansas on March 21, 2007 at 4:41 PM

They’ll come home when they’re done doin’ what they gotta do. Then we’ll leave some in Kurdistan along the Iranian and Syrian borders, just in case.

Tony737 on March 21, 2007 at 4:49 PM

Magic Cauck?

I bought that at a novelty store once on a dare.

Okay, it wasn’t on a dare, it was a replacement…

Enrique on March 21, 2007 at 5:08 PM

COURAGE. INTEGRITY. FORTITUDE. DEMOCRATS!

Mike H on March 21, 2007 at 2:34 PM

One of these things is not like the others.

pistolero on March 21, 2007 at 3:04 PM

That’s quite a coincidence, because Hillary reminds me of Arnold Ziffel.

ReubenJCogburn on March 21, 2007 at 5:43 PM

wot? how dare you criticize Mr. Obama and his patented blend of clear & concise nuance!
he’s the next Big Thing.
he’s a rock star!
good DAY sir!
/mock indignation

stevezilla on March 21, 2007 at 5:58 PM

If he can’t remember that he surely will deny any involvement in the 1984 hillary ad. This should be fun.

csdeven on March 21, 2007 at 7:44 PM

“I want errbody ta pony up fi dollis!”

Sorry, that was wrong of me to mock his clearly Hawaiian accent that just happens to sound like pandering “black guy”/ebonics/street talk. (And before the race baiters come out of the woodwork, I’m not saying “that’s how black people talk”, I’m saying that he clearly thinks he’s being hip, so he’s trying to speak “ebonics”, a term I find beyond obnoxious)

RightWinged on March 21, 2007 at 9:17 PM