Cathy Seipp, RIP

posted at 8:58 pm on March 21, 2007 by Allahpundit

I know her daughter and enough of her friends sufficiently well to have a vivid impression of her, even though we never did meet. I’m sorry for it. The LA Times‘s obituary is already up, but I like Treacher’s better. That’s my sense of her, too.

Reminiscences are ongoing at Cathy’s blog. Her daughter, Maia, IM’d me a little while ago to say she’s holding up okay but is understandably “numb and exhausted,” and asked that I let people know that the Times article only lists one charity to donate to in lieu of flowers — namely, the Humane Society — when in fact there were supposed to be two. The other is Lung Cancer Alliance. Lung cancer, of course, is what got Cathy; Maia told me once before she never smoked a day in her life.

Forty-nine years old. Rest in peace.

Comments

RIP and in my prayers, she was a rare treat in this world.

bbz123 on March 21, 2007 at 9:10 PM

A deep loss. She will be missed as are all those who have the heart and soul of Cathy. My sympathies to her daughter and family.

sharinlite on March 21, 2007 at 9:16 PM

Luke Ford on Cathy Seipp.
Recommended.

Stephen M on March 21, 2007 at 9:39 PM

That was real sweet Treacher. I love stories that provide a window into the kind of person someone was.

Rightwingsparkle on March 21, 2007 at 9:43 PM

May God bless her and her family.

Buck Turgidson on March 21, 2007 at 9:43 PM

Godspeed, Cathy. You’ll be sorely missed.

Nicely done, Treach.

Pablo on March 21, 2007 at 10:01 PM

Wow. I didn’t even now she was near dying. Shame. My thoughts and prayers go out to Cathy’s family and friends. May she rest in peace.

Somewhere in heaven, Cathy’s blogging the latest scandal among the angels…

amerpundit on March 21, 2007 at 10:14 PM

I was reading her articles on National Review Online before I ever knew what a blog was.

She will be missed.

Vinnie on March 21, 2007 at 10:15 PM

She’s #2 on Technorati, and not for nothing. She meant a lot to a lot of people.

Jim Treacher on March 21, 2007 at 10:38 PM

RIP

Seems a shame for this post to get pushed down the page for stories about Rosie. Why dont you stick this over on the left hand side?

amish on March 21, 2007 at 10:51 PM

Alas, I did not know Cathy Seipp. However, it always saddens me to see a conservative comrade fall. God bless her, and may the spirit of all she stood for inspire others to take her message to the next level.

thedecider on March 22, 2007 at 12:18 AM

Blessed be her memory.

georgej on March 22, 2007 at 1:27 AM

RIP.

Alex K on March 22, 2007 at 1:34 AM

Damn damn damn…

She will be missed

RIP

Lonevoice on March 22, 2007 at 1:42 AM

Unfair, unfair, unfair.

Farewell, Cathy. You will be missed.

violet on March 22, 2007 at 3:05 AM

Sigh…

Bob's Kid on March 22, 2007 at 9:26 AM

It is disspiriting to know that Cathy Seipp died of a disease from which she’d been careful to protect herself. Maybe it’ll sound something of a false note to offer health-related information in a commemorative thread, but I’ll just mention that it’s coming to light that most people who have a contemporary urban or suburban way of life have an increased risk of cancer (among other things) because of vitamin D3 deficiency. A fine collection of information on the relationship between vitamin D3 deficiency and cancer, as well as other chronic diseases, is available at the website of the Vitamin D Council.

Kralizec on March 22, 2007 at 10:15 AM

Cathy was a great writer. Over at NRO, she excelled at skewering her fellow citizens of Los Angeles with wit and a warm, humane humor. Though I never met her, I will miss her. RIP, Ms Siepp.

Anton on March 22, 2007 at 11:47 AM

Smoking does not equal lung cancer. Obviously, it’s a cause, but by no means the only one. Dana Reeve is another famous nonsmoker taken by lung cancer. More here, from the Lung Cancer Alliance.

“Our paper provides firm data about the number of people who develop lung cancer who are never-smokers. Though we had estimates of these numbers before, we didn’t have a comprehensive study that could really put those numbers in perspective. We can now say that lung cancer in never-smokers is as big of an epidemic as cervical cancer in women. Our study lays a foundation upon which further research can build looking at whether rates of lung cancer in never-smokers are increasing, and exploring the case of this disease. Underscoring the magnitude of this problem will hopefully increase awareness of the need for better treatments for all lung cancer patients.”

Pablo on March 23, 2007 at 2:38 AM

What Pablo said. And I’m noticing an underlying theme that somehow we’re allowed to feel a little worse for her since she didn’t bring it on herself. No. This would suck even if she’d smoked 10 packs a day.

Jim Treacher on March 23, 2007 at 6:48 AM