Study: McCain’s voting record growing ever more liberal

posted at 6:50 pm on March 19, 2007 by Allahpundit

It’s from a McClatchy article about a National Journal scorecard but I got it from Ace so that’s where the link’s going:

The year-to-year scores can reveal consistency or change. McCain, for example, grew increasingly less conservative in recent years. He started with annual conservative scores consistently in the 80s when he first went to the Senate in 1987, dipped to the 70s during the mid-1990s, into the 60s in the late 1990s and into the 50s starting in 2004.

He’s currently slightly left of center on social issues.

Who benefits from the news? Fred, for one — he’s pals with McCain and probably won’t jump in unless St. John’s support craters. This will help that along. Rudy benefits too since it plays into his image as (irony of ironies) a straight-talker about his centrism vis-a-vis McCain. Ace has been wringing his hands for weeks over the fact that Rudy has yet to tack right, but if he does that it explodes his appeal as steely and uncompromising. It’s a brilliant trick so far — sticking to his liberal social views sends a sort of coded message to conservatives that he won’t back down on foreign policy either.

It’ll probably blow up in his face.

The same study says Obama’s the most liberal of all the candidates running, including Kucinich. No worries. He’s got the big Mo.

Comments

It’s not too late for that Democratic VP slot that he missed in 2004!

JayHaw Phrenzie on March 19, 2007 at 6:51 PM

Yet, still, one more, again, another reason to not support Saint John. It means a professional communicator and conservative, Fred Thompson, will jump into the race.

Bill C on March 19, 2007 at 6:59 PM

This man has just as much chance of getting elected as Jesse Jackson. Or Alice Cooper for that matter.

- The Cat

MirCat on March 19, 2007 at 7:00 PM

Thompson could fill the missing slot.

Entelechy on March 19, 2007 at 7:03 PM

Big surprise! McCain doesn’t have a prayer at the Republican nomination. He has burned too many bridges and irritated too many conservatives. He has no one to blame but himself. I remember a time when I had a lot of respect for McCain, but not any more. He is just the latest disappointment in the ranks of politicians. Is there a Ronald Reagan out there?

liberty on March 19, 2007 at 7:06 PM

Thompson / Gingrich in 08

Romeo13 on March 19, 2007 at 7:17 PM

If Gingrich could get over his negatives, I think Thompson/Gingrich would run rings around Obama/Edwards, Clinton/Obama, or Clinton/Edwards in 2008. They both speak very well and probably wouldn’t paint themselves into too many ideological corners.

But that if regarding Gingrich is a doozey.

Mark V. on March 19, 2007 at 7:24 PM

I’m a Rudy guy, but Thompson jumping into the race could change things.

Someone in another thread mentioned Thompson/Steele. That would be a great ticket.

Slublog on March 19, 2007 at 7:26 PM

I’m a Rudy guy, but Thompson jumping into the race could change things.

Slublog on March 19, 2007 at 7:26 PM

Why????

PRCalDude on March 19, 2007 at 7:38 PM

Slublog:

Someone in another thread mentioned Thompson/Steele.

I think that was Limerick. And I second that nomination!

Thompson/Steele. It even sounds tough and conservative (think tungsten steel.)

Like a dream come true…

IrishEi on March 19, 2007 at 7:39 PM

Why????

North/South.

Conservative/Moderate

Not to mention…awesome.

Slublog on March 19, 2007 at 7:40 PM

Better yet, Thompson/Steele. You heard it here first.

BacaDog on March 11, 2007 at 7:34 PM

Ahem. Called it last week!

BacaDog on March 19, 2007 at 7:53 PM

Sorry BacaDog. And a good call it was!

I don’t think there is any combination of Democrat ticket that can beat Thompson-Steele. The only problem I foresee is that Mrs. Thompson isn’t exactly First Lady material. Although I’m sure all you guys won’t mind!

IrishEi on March 19, 2007 at 7:59 PM

IrishEi on March 19, 2007 at 7:59 PM

Gosh! I’d never given any thought to Fred’s wife. I’d say she’ll be a fine 1st lady. In the traditional sense of course.

BacaDog on March 19, 2007 at 8:04 PM

On June 29, 2002, Thompson married Jeri Kehn, a 35-year-old political media consultant at the Verner, Liipfert, Bernhard, and McPherson law firm in Washington, D.C., who once worked for the Senate Republican Conference and the Republican National Committee.

She’s got solid Republican bonafides too. Hell, let’s just run her and Fred.

I mean, we had Hill and Bill for 8 freakin years in the last 2 for 1 deal.

BacaDog on March 19, 2007 at 8:19 PM

Jeri Kehn (Mrs. Fred Thompson) is hot. Thompson would have to really lurch left to lose my support after seeing his good taste in women.

Valiant on March 19, 2007 at 8:19 PM

McCain is a lost cause. If he insists on running for president he should find some other political party to support him. Perhaps he could reenergize the Whig party.

rplat on March 19, 2007 at 8:30 PM

Yeah like I wouldn’t vote for a guy who has a beautiful wife. Much more important to me at least is what Thompson believes in and will fight for as President. Thompson / Steele sure sounds good to me. I was very impressed with Steele during his ’06 race, hadn’t ever heard of him before that but I’m not from his State.

McCain is a lost cause. He’s losing points with conservatives to make points with Democrats who wouldn’t be caught dead voting for him.

I still believe that illegal immigration and the border are the most defining points a candidate can run on this cycle. There are no DEMs who aren’t open border / amnesty but lots of DEM voters who want to see our laws enforced and the border secure.

Buzzy on March 19, 2007 at 8:50 PM

I won’t vote for McCain. I won’t vote for McCain as part of a ticket. I’d rather vote Lieberman than McCain.

Luckily, it doesn’t look like he’s going to get the nomination (today). However that can change on the width of a dime.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on March 19, 2007 at 9:20 PM

McCain is a walking corpse. The voting record only confirms it. That, and his tendency to step on every conceivable political landmine there is. Forget about running for president. If I were him, I’d start thinking about retirement.

jaleach on March 19, 2007 at 9:24 PM

McCain, like his buddy Chuck Hagel, was a fine (at times even great) American – but a lousy Senator. The thing (besides his gang of 14 deal) that totally turned me off to him was his recent promise (actually cave in to Europe) to shut Gitmo down and send the Islamonazi cretins to Leavenworth prison. What a clueless putz!

Hilts on March 19, 2007 at 9:40 PM

IrishEi on March 19, 2007 at 7:59 PM

Feddy boy, WAY TO GO! You ‘ol stud, and “Babs”, “You look marvilous….”

Gives a whole new meaning to “I’m gonna go see Fred and the Mrs. at the White House this weekend…..” (Think sour mash and BBQ)

Oh, yeah, Freddy, “In like Flint!”

Thompson/Steele, Newt as Sec of State, Hunter as Sect of Defense, Tancredo Sec of Homeland Security……

PinkyBigglesworth on March 19, 2007 at 9:42 PM

Giuliani/Thompson would be a sure winner (also the promise of Bolton for Sec. of State).

Hilts on March 19, 2007 at 9:51 PM

Jeezus – forget Newt Gingrich! He is a superb pundit but a total toxic skank politically. Nobody with the name “Newt” or even “Gingrich” – which sounds like a Dickensian villain – will be elected President. Conservative ideologues need to wake up.

Hilts on March 19, 2007 at 9:53 PM

I think that was Limerick. And I second that nomination!

Thompson/Steele. It even sounds tough and conservative (think tungsten steel.)

Like a dream come true…

IrishEi on March 19, 2007 at 7:39 PM

I’m still rooting for a Thompson/Watts ticket.

McCain isn’t a Republican, he’s a RINO. I can’t stand the man and have yet been willing to shake his hand when I run into him in Phoenix.

If he ever quits office, I’ll shake his hand as a military hero, but he is nothing but a political low-life until then.

Tim Burton on March 19, 2007 at 10:12 PM

We need photographic proof his wife is hawt. Anyone have any links? Google turns up nada.

Tim Burton on March 19, 2007 at 10:17 PM

Is John McCain running for President or Maaaaaaaverick in Chief? Hard to tell sometimes when he’s bent sideways trying to lick his own soles.

spmat on March 20, 2007 at 1:25 AM

I really wish people would stop trying to nominate Obama ballast (Steele, Watts, et al.). Let the cards fall where they may, and please let the black candidates run on their merits instead of the convenient color of their skins. When they want to run and see a real opportunity to win, they will.

spmat on March 20, 2007 at 1:31 AM

I heard with my own ears McCain in an interview state that he is a “Reagan Conservative”. Thought I was going to puke in my Cheerios.

lynnv on March 20, 2007 at 8:12 AM

Here is a wedding pic for Fred Thompson. Told you she was hott.

Valiant on March 20, 2007 at 8:50 AM

Here is a wedding pic for Fred Thompson. Told you she was hott.

Valiant on March 20, 2007 at 8:50 AM

Guy only has had two wives. Piker.

honora on March 20, 2007 at 12:29 PM