Drudge disses Hot Air

posted at 3:08 pm on March 19, 2007 by Michelle

A Hot Air commenter mentioned this last week: It seems Matt Drudge–Internet pioneer, New Media godfather, and tech entrepreneur–has a grudge against little ol’ Hot Air. He made some bizarre, disparaging remarks attacking this site and me on his radio show last weekend. Listen:

Transcript:

Just ugh. The things I want to say right now. But we’ve got an FCC. The things I want to say. Maybe we’ll do, uh, uh, a commentary on the Internet like Michelle Malkin. Maybe I’ll stand in front of like a blue screen and hold a banana and start talking into the Internets. (Sneering tone) ‘This is Matt Drudge reporting on Hot Air.’ Agggh. You know. It’s ridiculous. Looks like, you know, Captain Kangaroo time, Michelle. Get real.

“Get real?” Got whine?

We at Hot Air certainly don’t have the resources to look like the slicksters at CNN or the dinosaur networks. We don’t have multi-million dollar sets, graphics, and wardrobes like Katie Couric. We put substance first over bells and whistles. (You would think someone with a website design circa 1980 might appreciate our priorities.) That said, folks in the broadcast industry have had nice words about our production values and I’m proud of what our team has accomplished in less than a year. In fact, we’ve had broadcast network engineers and producers ask us how we do it. On the blog side, Allahpundit has turned the site into a must-read. We’ve gone from nowhere to a top-30 site on Technorati’s Top 100 list. On the video side, Bryan Preston (I guess he’s Mr. Green Jeans now) has edited and produced nearly 250 daily video shows since last April. Hot Air serves a whopping 14 terabytes per month. We’ve been fortunate to work with incredibly talented people across the country–photographers, animators, Photoshoppers, video editors, musicians, documentarians, and on-air talent. We love what we do here. We’re grateful that our readers/viewers come back for more every day and we strive constantly to improve and expand our products and programming.

What’s it to you, Matt, if we bring our little “banana” microphones and cameras to Baghdad or CPAC or the Doolittle Raiders reunion or the local illegal alien hangout or the Gathering of Eagles (which barely rated a blip on the almighty Drudge radar screen)? What’s it to you if authors find it worth their time to sit down with us for Internet broadcast interviews? Why does it bother you so? What’s it to you, Matt, if my fellow hosts and I spend our time standing in front of a green screen in our basement studio so we can practice the very kind of Internet citizen journalism you once preached yourself?

“Captain Kangaroo time?” Well, someone’s certainly acting like he’s in pre-school.

The Internet is a big enough place for all of us. No need to act like the threatened MSM’ers you became famous for revolting against years ago. As someone once put it so eloquently: “Now, with a modem, anyone can follow the world and report on the world.”

More from that great speech, Matt:

We have entered an era vibrating with the din of small voices. Every citizen can be a reporter, can take on the powers that be. The difference between the Internet, television and radio, magazines, newspapers is the two-way communication. The Net gives as much voice to a 13-year-old computer geek like me as to a CEO or speaker of the House. We all become equal.

And now, kids, back to our show…

Good morning, Captain, let’s come on out and play!
Good morning, Captain, it’s going to be a perfect day!
Get your crayons and your paper and your pencil, too
And come on out and play with Captain Kangaroo!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Drudge is nothing but a menu. He supplies a clickable selection of topics much like the menu provided by DirectTV or DishNet. He’s not a journalist. He’s a TV Guide.

Gregor

I second that.I barely bother with Drudge anymore.I surf many blogs and news sites.Drudge is still doing the cabbage patch dance.(hey,it was popular in the 80′s too) Hotair is the place to be for real news and not just linky love.

spazzmomma on March 20, 2007 at 12:36 AM

Anyone is who is talking about dropping AP is out of their gourd. AP is one of the primary reasons I read this blog. He has a very catchy style of writing and is pretty down-to-earth in his opinions, even where I disagree with him.

tommy1 on March 20, 2007 at 12:00 AM

Exactly

All of the staff at Hot Air do a great job and are worth keeping.

Just AP’s screen caps and titles alone are worth reading this site.

Michelle (if it was Michelle that did the recruiting) did an excellent job of putting together a great staff; each with their own strengths; that they bring to this site.

F15Mech on March 20, 2007 at 12:38 AM

I guess Hot Air just has too many readers…you’d think Drudge would be happy, geez, he’s a millionaire from reporting other people’s news…he doesn’t make any nes himself or write anything, he just links to other news on his site. What a baby.

JustTruth101 on March 20, 2007 at 12:44 AM

Smokin’ cigarettes and watching Captain (Kang) Kangaroo
Now don’t tell meeeeeeee I’ve nothin’ to doooooooooo

spmat on March 20, 2007 at 1:20 AM

Yes, I am the recruiter. And thank you. I agree. :)

Michelle on March 20, 2007 at 1:21 AM

I went to the alexa and what the heck happened to him in June of last year??? Check out the chart. Then he spiked like crazy in July. But continued consistantly down from there. WTF? Don’t even know why he would take a shot like that. I mean, hey, Drudge, there’s all differnt styles out there on the innertubes.

I used to read him, but most of the stuff he has is like reading the front page of all the Enquirer type rags when I’m waiting in the supermarket check out. Its crap to me. I’ve never learned anything ‘breaking’ from him.

I come here everyday to see Michele and Byran and AP because you guys post some great stories and the video is great too. Appreciate the mounds of time and enery you put into it. I’m here daily. Hope you will be too.

As to your wardrobe Michelle I think what you wear is a natural and lends a lot of credibily as to who “YOU” are. I think if you went the “Couric” schtick you would just look like any other of the FOX babes out there who put thier body over their reporting. Keep on keeping on Michelle. You do good! “Thank You.” To all of YOU.

auspatriotman on March 20, 2007 at 1:24 AM

Hey Rick just reminded me: Bethany. Where is she???

auspatriotman on March 20, 2007 at 1:28 AM

I posted earlier today, and came back to take a glance and what do I find???????

actually think this site would be a lot more popular without AP.

bj1126 on March 19, 2007 at 7:18 PM

and……………

Since the door has now been opened for gratuitous AP asskissing…

JayHaw Phrenzie on March 19, 2007 at 8:23 PM

Hey, bj1126, and JayHaw……(for you billy) can I ask what is your point of reference? What is your expertise on writing for a world wide blog? What is your sense of patience when contributors have a “bad” vent? What is your education and grasp of political events? What is your basic IQ? What is your defenition of “America”?

AP doesn’t need my defense, but I am giving it!

What “blowjob1127 (just had his next trick) and Jay”Dove” don’t understand, is that we like this venue…. It is powerful, it lets us get things off our chest, we can grind our teeth, clean and lubricate our weapons, and then…….. after taking a deep breath, re-read our post, and possibly find something funnier to say, or apologize for this vent.

Michelle, AP would not be attacked if he were not effective…… stick it to them, don’t even reply!

God Bless you all on Hot Air!

PinkyBigglesworth on March 20, 2007 at 2:17 AM

Not being one to adhere to the MM Hot Air group think looks like Matt Drudge hit the nail on the head with this one. Michelle this post comes across like a how dare you talk about the mighty Malkin screed. Matt is just saying what many of us that used to respect you are thinking. These days you seem to take pleasure in throwing fellow conservatives under the bus (like Ann Coulter) and accusing fellow conservatives of “ginned up publicity” (like me). As another example you just did it to Drudge.

You might not like what Drudge said about you, did you try to talk to him about it first before you unloaded your keyboard? I’m sure he would give you some time on his radio show to ask him what his beef is. I sent you many emails before you trashed me and a few after you trashed me and you had no response.

Michelle in my opinion you have a higher than thou attitude and it is good to see someone standing up to you and telling it like it really is. Many conservatives follow you and think of you as a leader, but to me it seems you would rather us kneel at the altar of Michelle than to stand beside you as equals. Yes you have achieved a lot for conservatives on the internet and for that I applaud you. Lately you seem to take pleasure in attacking anyone that stands in the way of the ascent to your perceived throne.

I’ll stand beside Matt Drudge, while your peasants knell before you.

WildBill on March 20, 2007 at 2:31 AM

Before you beat me up too much, a clear reading of my comments in this thread should make it clear that I support AP.

Link for Pinky*Littlesworth*

However, I am glad that you gave me an excuse to keep the thread alive!!! 200+ Posts. Can we make it to 250? 300?

JayHaw Phrenzie on March 20, 2007 at 3:26 AM

WildBill on March 20, 2007 at 2:31 AM

WildBill help me out here…

You have people saying get rid of AP.

At the same time

You have people saying keep AP.

That does not sound like peasants knelling before (Michelle).

Throwing fellow conservatives (Ann/Matt) under the bus?

Where did HA do that with Matt or Ann for that matter.

Responding to a comment someone made does not mean you threw someone under the bus BTW.

Instead of YOU knelling in front of Matt and Ann take a look at their actions (why did Matt throw Michelle under the bus)?

The great thing about this site is that I can comment about a post, people are free to agree or disagree with me. (see above comments about AP for example).

Does Matt or Ann give the same consideration to their readers?

I thought not.

While Ann’s books are an enjoyable read, I will have to disagree with some of her comments (that does not mean I will not stop buying her books or that I threw her in front of a bus.

F15Mech on March 20, 2007 at 3:42 AM

This isn’t particularly surprising. As far as I can tell, he never links blogs. He ignored the Dan Rather story until it hit the MSM and does the same with other stories begun in the blogosphere.

I appreciate what Drudge has done, and his site is still a daily visit, but think it’s sad that he’s becoming part of what he used to rail against.

Slublog on March 19, 2007 at 3:34 PM

I first heard about the “Jon Carry” story from Hot Air. I sent the link to all of my friends/family members at the time.

If you go to Free Republic and look at the comments at the time, some of them say send this to Drudge or I hope Drudge sees this. Only later did he pick up the story.

F15Mech on March 20, 2007 at 4:01 AM

That’s funny Drudge linked to my blog and damn near shut it down in the process. Even sent me a email and asked for my contact information. Michelle refused to even say my name and decided to discuss the story without giving me a link. You might remember that post. She even came up with a catchy little phrase to describe my accurate investigative work that got nation wide media, she called me the, “The conservative outing mob.”

Want to know what Drudge’s beef is? Might have something to do with this post on Michelle’s site. Looks like Michelle threw the first punch in the blog fight.

WildBill on March 20, 2007 at 5:11 AM

Here is a punch thrown by Bryan in Drudge’s direction. Still think Drudge started this?

WildBill on March 20, 2007 at 5:15 AM

Anybody remember Tapeheads with…ugh…Tim Robbins? Now THAT’s production value.

Mad propz to Bryan, Michelle, et al. They’re doing what everyone else is only talking about.

Unlike Al Gore, I do take public transit every day, and there’s some bizarre human compulsion seated deep in the reptilian brain stem; grab what you can and protect it. Sure, you’re calmly boarding the bus, but your brain is thinking, “Oh my God, there are two empty seats toward the back and I will f#$*ing cut the throat of anyone who tries to grab them first.” Thing about the internets is, you can let go of that mindset and create more seats at will.

P.S. I’d love for Bryan on a slow day to start a good old geek talk thread dedicated to site production.

saint kansas on March 20, 2007 at 6:14 AM

I have no problem with Matt Drudge. I wish him success doing his thing, and I would hope that he would similarly wish success upon others in the New Media. It’s a big Internet, and there ought to be plenty of room for everybody. That being said, if Matt was going to criticize anybody else’s use of video, it would at least have been fair for him to mention–in the interest of full disclosure–that his own time spent in front of the camera wasn’t above criticism either.

Does anybody besides me remember Drudge’s show on FOX? Half-hour format on Saturday nights, back in 1998? I don’t remember much, just Matt in his fedora, sitting at a desk on a cheap-looking set barking at the camera, trying to look and sound like an intense 40′s-era reporter. The results were…unimpressive, to me and apparently others, and the show was cancelled not long afterward. But at least Matt had his shot, even though it could have turned out better. He shouldn’t begrudge opportunities to others–especially when they made those opportunities for themselves. He might want to rethink calling anybody else’s work cheap or cheesy, too.

ReubenJCogburn on March 20, 2007 at 6:31 AM

Somewhat off topic, but speaking of production values…

If you want amateur hour, try my favorite guilty pleasure: The (U.K.) Sun’s Dear Diedre video casebook! Your favorite sex advice column (discreetly) brought to life by a crack team of not-quite-actors/models.

saint kansas on March 20, 2007 at 6:34 AM

Jealousy is a powerful emotion is it not..

Viper1 on March 20, 2007 at 7:01 AM

saint kansas on March 20, 2007 at 6:14 AM

Wouldn’t have to be a slow day as far as I am concerned. However, nobody wants to see my ugly mug… now if I lived closer to SeeJaneMom….

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on March 20, 2007 at 7:02 AM

I actually think this site would be a lot more popular without AP.

bj1126 on March 19, 2007 at 7:18 PM

You’re wrong.

I know where you’re coming from – but you’re forgetting two critical points:

First, count the threads and posts. If I’m not mistaken, AP actually provides as much (or more) actual content than all the rest put together. Content drives traffic. Without fresh material, you wouldn’t come here.

Second, as much as some of his content may piss you off (or me, for that matter), he’s actually pretty clever in picking exactly the content – and making the right remarks – to spur debate. You may not like what he says, but the very fact that you KNOW that means you’re still reading him.

Basically, while I sympathize – you could not possibly be more wrong.

Think American Idol, without Simon. Sure, it’d be a sweet happy happy joy joy kind of show. You’d hear nothing that would bother you or annoy you.

And the show would be canceled by next Tuesday.

Just like that goofy show accidentally stumbled upon a working combination of personalities, so did this place.

They’d be foolish in the extreme to fix what isn’t broken.

Professor Blather on March 20, 2007 at 7:55 AM

I’ll stand beside Matt Drudge, while your peasants knell before you.

WildBill on March 20, 2007 at 2:31 AM

Dear God, I love unintentional self-parody.

Nothing is funnier.

Okay, Bill … you be a mindless sycophant for your guy, we’ll be mindless sycophants for ours, and later we can arm wrestle to see who gets to be the pot versus the kettle.

You dumb, dumb person.

Your jealousy is adorable, kid. One problem: who are you? I have absolutely no idea who you are or what you’re talking about.

How embarrassing. Thanks for my morning chuckle. I usually have to wait for Honora to show up. You’re awesome! But you still don’t get to be the pot. You’re the kettle, dude.

Professor Blather on March 20, 2007 at 8:00 AM

Wild Billy is waiting for a ‘return to glory’. He outed some gay page and is soooo proud. What the troll doesn’t get, is that he makes all conservatives look homophobic.

SnowKat on March 20, 2007 at 8:05 AM

Drudge has to be taken with a grain of salt. You never know where he stands as he stands nowhere. Just blow him off and don’t take him seriously…no one else does.

lynnv on March 20, 2007 at 8:07 AM

(five minute pause, me holding my sides laughing)

(snort)

(chuckle)

Whooo.

You’re PROUD of that?

(insert eye roll emoticon)

Oh, dude. You ARE funny. Sad, pathetic, but funny.

The fact that you’re not only proud of what you did … but actually calling the waaaaaaaahmbulance because Michelle had a little too much class and integrity to link to your stupidity, is just. too. funny.

You owe me a new keyboard, kettle.

Professor Blather on March 20, 2007 at 8:09 AM

Professor Blather, you are the dumb person, I left the links that prove Michelle started this. Enjoy your laugh because the jokes on you. And who am I? Am the guy who told the truth that the page from the ABC IM’s was not underage and proved ABC lied and distorted their story. Check your facts. I gave the republican party a chance in the last election to stand up and fight the false accusations, but our conservative leadership (including MM) could not find their spine to stand up against the MSM hit squad. I did not do it for glory or publicity I did it because it was the truth and the media was covering it up. So enjoy your fantasy that anyone that gets a little media attention is doing it for the publicity. Some people expose the truth because it is what’s right. It’s called integrity and you could use some of it.

SnowKat I never said Jordan Edmund is gay. And what a weak argument to claim that I make all conservatives look homophobic. You make yourself look like an idiot to throw out that stereotypical moonbat talking points. If you would like to debate the facts of the Mark Foley case you had better do your homework. I spent so much time checking my facts before releasing my evidence. Till this day no one as disproved any of my facts about the Mark Foley case.

WildBill on March 20, 2007 at 8:31 AM

I don’t have time to read thru all 213 comments made on this post, someone may have already made this point, but I think this will turn into a positive for HA. It’s kind of like all the MSM raising a ruckus about FNC, I think it turned alot of people on to FNC. I have a feeling the same will happen for HA.

Keep up the GREAT work HA crew-YOU ROCK!

silenced majority on March 20, 2007 at 8:32 AM

WildBill on March 20, 2007 at 2:31 AM

Everyone of you blog types think you’re someone others should listen to. That’s why you have a blog and are not just a participant who wants to discuss stuff.

So get over yourself.

csdeven on March 20, 2007 at 8:42 AM

Where did HA do that with Matt or Ann for that matter.
F15Mech on March 20, 2007 at 3:42 AM

HA didn’t throw Ann under the bus. HA did cave to PC thinking and denounce her for the WORD she used instead of support her message. Some might call that throwing Ann under the bus. To me it was a reflection on HA.

csdeven on March 20, 2007 at 8:46 AM

I’m over myself, you should give MM the same advice. I don’t care if you listen to me. I am here to discuss this. My argument is that MM and Hot Air have been attacking Drudge for a while and now that he hits back MM goes into holier than thou mode and hardly anyone here questions the fact that MM started this fight. I don’t expect you to listen to me, I’m not your queen.

WildBill on March 20, 2007 at 8:47 AM

I’m not your queen.

Drama queen, maybe.

saint kansas on March 20, 2007 at 8:54 AM

Hot Air is cutting edge. The post on the Hillary Macintosh mock ad was posted here over a week ago here but made Drudge only yesterday. At least one network newscast picked up the story from Drudge last night. Drudge is show prep for a lot of media outlets now and we should be grateful for that. Hot Air has quality people who are ahead of the curve and setting trends and we should be grateful for that.

Valiant on March 20, 2007 at 9:01 AM

hardly anyone here questions the fact that MM started this fight.

The flaw in your argument is while Michelle and Bryan questioned the accuracy of the Drudge headline, Drudge attacked production values and appearance. So MM and co. have the advantage, at least until Drudge does some reporting from Iraq.

SouthernDem on March 20, 2007 at 9:02 AM

Yes Michelle is a drama queen, and I have no problem with that my beef is my issue with Michelle is that I sent her emails before I published my story, offered to give her the story, was willing to provide all of my research, and I never heard a word from her which is fine. She is under no obligation to even acknowledge my existence. However after I released my story and then Drudge linked to me instead of contacting me and checking that my facts were correct she proceeded in calling me and Drudge, “The conservative outing mob.” I proved that my facts were correct and that MM and people like her that berated me for outing an underage page that was a victim were dead wrong in their assumptions.

WildBill on March 20, 2007 at 9:04 AM

Drudge’s shtick is tired. Pssst: It’s 2007 Matty, not 1945.

He’s just jealous.

I heard an old saying once: “if they’re biting you in the butt, you must be in front of them.”

Malpaso on March 20, 2007 at 9:11 AM

Wow… Drudge said those things? Are we sure he wasn’t body snatched or something? Doesn’t seem quite normal for him. Perhaps he feels some competition and a little heat from Hot Air, cuz Michelle is on Fox sometimes — More than Matt for sure.

Rick Donaldson on March 20, 2007 at 9:17 AM

Understand I am an internet Luddite–curious what the correct nomenclature for this type of blog architecture–where the comments are visual by scrolling as opposed to having to click through. Anyone?

So much more engaging.

honora on March 20, 2007 at 9:28 AM

Well, I go here every day. I hit Drudge maybe once a month. I can’t be the only one.

Bob's Kid on March 20, 2007 at 9:36 AM

I think he sees the writing on the wall. People like me used to have Drudge Report as our first stop for news. Now we go to Hot Air. I check Hot Air like 7 times a day, and maybe I’ll check Drudge once. Drudge used to be my main squeeze, but HA is my lady now. I can’t be the only one.

He’s jealous. Simple.

Enrique on March 19, 2007 at 3:29 PM

Ah, I see, not that I am reading the comments, that I am not the only one. :)

Bob's Kid on March 20, 2007 at 9:38 AM

Those of you that keep advancing the Drudge feels threatened by Hot Air and Michelle Malkin’s traffic theory, goto alexa.com and compare the traffic. You’ll find Drudge has nothing to fear.

Next!

WildBill on March 20, 2007 at 9:40 AM

I hit Drudge’s link from Michelle’s site about once every other day how ironic is that? Hey Matt welcome to the world of irony, now drop that deadly sin of envy and start taking on the MSM who deserve all your rage and mine. Michelle you guys are excellent and perhaps you might want to drop Drudge’s link and see how much further his numbers go down, lol:-)

Rightmom on March 20, 2007 at 10:51 AM

Bwa ha ha ha ha ha

Kettle – you are so very green with envy, aren’t you?

It’s so cute. And I still have no idea who you are. Nor do I care. But thanks – I truly enjoyed my early morning laugh, and here you go giving me another one.

Now could you please leave us to kiss Michelle’s bottom in peace, while you run off to slather yourself all over Drudge? Thanks, kid. You are so. Damn. Cute.

Although, I gotta say … in this pot and kettle silliness of yours, I think our taste in what to kiss is much, much better than yours. But you enjoy, my green with envy waaaaahmbulance riding friend.

I’ll check back later to see if you left some afternoon chuckles for me, too, kettle.

Professor Blather on March 20, 2007 at 10:52 AM

C’mon. Seriously. You’re killing me here. My abs are gonna be sore for a week.

SHE’S the drama queen ….??!

BA ha ha ha ha ha oh dear lord stop it hurts it hurts!

Professor Blather on March 20, 2007 at 11:00 AM

Am I missing something?

Is Drudge not entitled to his opinion?

Or is Hot Air simply unhappy that he expressed it?

Labamigo on March 20, 2007 at 11:04 AM

Am I missing something?

Is Drudge not entitled to his opinion?

Or is Hot Air simply unhappy that he expressed it?

Labamigo on March 20, 2007 at 11:04 AM

I always find it disappointing even when liberals miss this point – when conservatives do it, it’s downright troubling.

It’s very simple: in the land of the free and home of the brave, you can say anything you like! Yeah, freedom!

And then I can respond how I like! Isn’t that awesome?

So Ann Coulter can say anything she wishes! Yeah! And those of us (including some of HA staff) who don’t agree with what was said or how it was said, get to voice OUR opinions! Yeah, freedom!

Drudge gets to say what he likes – YEAH! – and Michelle can respond – HOORAY, freedom!

Why is this so hard for people to understand? It isn’t “throwing someone under the bus” when you disagree with them.

It’s America. God bless it. And if you don’t like it – YOU get to say so! YEAH!

Now where’d that kettle guy go? He was cracking me up! I loves me some free speech.

Professor Blather on March 20, 2007 at 11:09 AM

Professor Blather you sure earned the Blather part of your name. Your argument consists of I made you laugh? I’m sure you still don’t know who I am and I don’t care. You also still have not refuted one of my facts. I’m glad you enjoy Michelle, I used to also. It might take you all day to come up with a decent argument. Remember Michelle expects her followers to take the moral high ground and raise the level of political discourse. You are defiantly lower than the lofty standards that Michelle requires for admittance to her party.

Be careful using the word black when referring to the kettle you might have to check into rehab and you won’t be invited to CPAC next year.

WildBill on March 20, 2007 at 11:11 AM

WildBill, I’ve researched your side of the story, and I think you’re the one who is being holier-than-thou. Furthermore, I think you’re hijacking this thread; check the user agreement.

As those words alone don’t answer the idea you raised that Drudge is right in dissing MM and HotAir, which is on-topic, here goes. MM’s whole point in the blog that you linked was that, in her opinion, she did not consider the story you broke to be worthwhile on multiple levels. Yet, it had reached such a level of exposure that she felt she had to address the scandal you’d created.

You violated the remaining dignity of someone who certainly had already been hurt and scandalized enough. MM is way beyond the “gotcha” journalism that the other side plays so well; clearly you are not.

That’s the moral reason for no hat tip. Now for the technical reason. By the point that Drudge had spewed your story all over “teh internets,” it was “common knowledge.” It needs no citation. Where were you in 9th grade?

Your idea that your story provided the GOP a way out of scandal is laughable. The veracity of Foley’s gaydar in no way justified his acts. The MSM was going to have its GOP-bashing orgy no matter what, and, dangit, it actually was a legit scandal. Some GOP congressmen knew about Foley’s crimes and had done nothing. Your wrong certainly wouldn’t atone for their wrong.

Good. Grief.

flutejpl on March 20, 2007 at 11:20 AM

Prof. Blather: Amen. Well said, as usual.

flutejpl on March 20, 2007 at 11:22 AM

It goes beyond disagreement when you denounce a fellow conservative and lead a campaign to have them banned from speaking at a conservative forum. It also goes beyond disagreement when you pretend that you have no idea why Druge would have a grudge when you called him part of , “The conservative outing mob.” It is also above disagreement when you accuse a blogger of outing a victim to gin up publicity without researching their evidence.

In Michelle’s own words, “and I absolutely detest your initiative in trying to smear my work without even reading it.” Want to call the kettle black start with Michelle first. I read every word she wrote about me and she did not read my work at all before personally attacking me.

Now show your Professor side and engage in this discussion instead of playing the laughing boy.

WildBill on March 20, 2007 at 11:22 AM

Yeah, I think this has about run its course. Let’s get back on topic, please.

Allahpundit on March 20, 2007 at 11:23 AM

Your argument consists of I made you laugh?

Wildly. I’m still cackling. I may seriously need a new keyboard. Damn you, kettle!

Argument? What argument? Has anyone mentioned caring about whatever your prattling about?

I’m laughing at your juvenile pretentiousness, your bitter envy, the delicious irony of you accusing others of being suck-ups while you are apparently the Grand Poohbah of all Suck-ups, and the delightful hypocrisy of you calling someone else a drama queen!

(snort)

Facts? Okay – the facts: you’re apparently some no-name blogger who wasted his time establishing that the page in question was 17? 18? Both? And therefore you’d uncovered a vast conspiracy regarding the word “under-aged?”

Does that sum up your hyperbolic, breathless, look-at-me-look-at-me facts?

Okay. Congrats, Bernstein. Scoop of the century. With that blazing integrity of yours, you outed some poor kid (either 17 or 18, I guess?) and then jumped up and down shrieking “look at me!”

And when nobody looked at you – when some, in fact, dared to suggest you were being quite the douche for outing the poor kid – you got your panties all in a bunch and attacked my lord, savior, and Queen, the good Saint Michelle, who’s picture I cuddle nightly in a fit of sycophantic sweetness.

Have I got this right now?

Now my only question for you: do you have a PayPal address so I can pay you for this wonderful entertainment? Because frankly, I feel guilty laughing so hard at someone working this diligently to amuse me … for free.

More. More. Encore! (And please … stick with the grade-school prose and the “English ain’t my language” errors … because I “defiantly” (sic) ain’t smart enough for anything but “knelling” (sic) at the altar of the Mighty Malkin).

More, please.

Professor Blather on March 20, 2007 at 11:24 AM

Yeah, I think this has about run its course. Let’s get back on topic, please.

Allahpundit on March 20, 2007 at 11:23 AM

Yessuh. I’ll quit.

But, man, I’ll be laughing for days.

The combination of irony, self-parody, and deadly seriousness is just so damn funny. Reminds me a bit of Algore, in fact. I’m so serial.

Professor Blather on March 20, 2007 at 11:25 AM

More. More. Encore!

No more. You guys can continue this at Bill’s site if you like.

Allahpundit on March 20, 2007 at 11:26 AM

Am I missing something?

Is Drudge not entitled to his opinion?

Or is Hot Air simply unhappy that he expressed it?

Labamigo on March 20, 2007 at 11:04 AM

This is the same argument we are always having with the Left. Yes, Drudge is free to have his opinion and to state it. Hot Air is free to point out that his opinion is stupid. That’s freedom of speech.

Coyote D. on March 20, 2007 at 11:28 AM

I read Drudge when I want links to stories. I read HA when I want truly unique new stories, with commentary I find informing/amusing.

It has been interesting to see WildBill though slinging mud a Michelle, for slinging mud a Drudge. Then commenting on the pot calling the kettle black. Hmmm…

The facts are as they are. Who knows why Drudge ripped Michelle. Michelle (in the stories link at your side WildBill) questioned the accuracy of a story…I didn’t see any blatant ad hominem attacks.

The reason I frequent HA more than Drudge though is because of the preceeding 280 comments, in all their glory. Michelle fosters (while WildBill might disagree) conversation and discussion on this site (though not on her own). Drudge does not. Do I always agree with AP and MM? Of course not! Not everyone here is in the “lock step” mode that some might have you think. When we, on the same side, disagree here…we usually don’t do it with vitriol and hate (see exceptions above).

StoutRepublican on March 20, 2007 at 11:29 AM

WildBill on March 20, 2007 at 5:11 AM

Two words. Sour grapes.

silenced majority on March 20, 2007 at 11:35 AM

Wrong flutejpl, I did not create the scandal, Mark Foley, the MSM, and the page I exposed created the scandal, I only reported a small part of the facts that the MSM tried to cover up. I did not violate anyones dignity if you want to pretend that there was some dignity there to violate then direct your blame at the MSM.

Michelle above gotcha journalism, what do you call this post? The moral explanation that you speak of does not exist but in your uninformed opinion. Since when did telling the truth go against your morals? You are correct Michelle did not have to mention my story but when she did she had an obligation to check her facts and present my research so that the readers of her blog could make an informed decision instead of nodding their heads in uninformed agreement like MM bobble heads.

Some GOP did know about the emails which were very different than the IM’s. Tell me which GOP politician knew of the IM’s before ABC News released them! Which one? I’ll wait here all day for that answer. Also what crimes has Foley be charged with? What crime? Piss poor judgment and being a scumbag (which he is) is not a crime that I am aware of. And lucky for the media lying to the American people is not a crime either.

WildBill on March 20, 2007 at 11:40 AM

you should give MM the same advice.

WildBill on March 20, 2007 at 8:47 AM

I have. I don’t spare MM, AP, or Bryan anything. Your complaint is the first I’ve heard of this Foley flap, but if you are correct, I’m not surprised. It fits with the PC mindset that has become very evident since the Ann issue here on HA. Every time I read more of this PC writings, I mention it.

I wont spare you either. You came in here lumping everyone as part of the HA group think and peasants. Not a good first impression for those of us who do not know you.

A lot of bloggers that have their own websites have let their ego’s get a little over inflated. That’s understandable I guess, and a persons age in years is not as big an issue as their maturity level, but seeking the accolades of others is, in my opinion, an indication that there is some growing up to be done.

Having said that, it is very common for all of us to get into the group think mentality. As a matter of fact, sometimes it seems to be more important to be in agreement with the bosses than it is to be factual, when on the occasion of the authors getting it wrong.

The worse thing any of us can do other than going off half-cocked is to refuse to admit it to ourselves and others when we have offended someone. I have seen that here and have been very vocal about it. I am patiently waiting to see a change in that attitude around here.

My suggestion is if a person is going to be extreme, have a plan that takes into account the reaction you are going to get. Rush and Ann are extreme to illustrate points. And as Rush says, “don’t try this at home.”. You complaint came off as whining and I think you have a great point to make and could have made it very powerfully.

As far as I am concerned, the morals of the folks here make this the best place I have visited, so I support their efforts 100% even though I vehemently disagree on a couple of issues.

csdeven on March 20, 2007 at 11:43 AM

WildBill – You reminded me of some things I totally buried. Shortly after that, and the attacks on Allen, I stopped visiting here and MM.com. Then, I moved on, forgot about it, and returned just in time to see a similar process play out with Ann at CPAC.

I won’t questions Michelle’s motives – my issue is with conservatives fighting in public in general except under extreme circumstances. There’s just too much at stake these days to engage in intramural wrestling. So, I’m inclined to defend the side being attacked in almost every case. If Matt has a problem with Michelle, he should have dealt with in private.

It’s like this Priest attacking Hannity in Public over birth control while ignoring Kennedy, Kerry, Pelosi, etc. It’s rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic – it won’t help a bit.

TheBigOldDog on March 20, 2007 at 11:52 AM

I’ll respect Allah’s wishes it is his blog and not mine. Despite what some of you think I am not angry with you. I’m sure that will cause another giggle from Blather. He seems to think he knows me without (admittedly) knowing me.

I am just trying to point out that all these conservative on conservative attacks recently are ridiculous. Your fellow conservatives can say stupid thing once in a while and when they do let them know, but don’t accuse them of making the party look bad, outing underage victims just to gin up publicity, and being a nobody or a has been because you disagree with them our they ruffled your feathers.

Yes I do have a grudge against Michelle but I can get over it, it will just take time. Don’t give up on good conservatives like Drudge, Ann, and me because you think we should run all of our public statements past a conservative board of inquiry. Michelle, Ann, and Drudge have achieved so much for conservatives. And despite the many opinions of me I have achieved my very small contribution also.

WildBill on March 20, 2007 at 11:59 AM

Can’t we all just get along…;)

Drudge’s cheap shot was pretty bad, but I think we’d be better off taking the high road on this one in the bigger picture. It only makes Matt Drudge look bad and damages his reputation when he says something like this. Myself, I use both Hot Air and the Drudge Report to get the latest news and analysis of it. Keep in mind, what we have with both these websites are light years better than the propoganda ABC, CBS, NBC, MSNBC and CNN provide on a daily basis. I hate to see that affected by one dumb comment.

Planet Boulder on March 20, 2007 at 12:06 PM

Note: this comment was made – I’m not making this up! – while he was literally in the process of attacking a conservative.

That’s priceless. Ridiculous indeed.

Sorry, Allah. I should probably be banned. But that was just too funny not to point out.

(Giggle!)

You da man, kettle. I knell before you.

Professor Blather on March 20, 2007 at 12:07 PM

Heh, my 15 minutes of fame came when I was actually *on* the Captain Kangaroo show and won the prize of Shoots n Ladders by tossing a pingpong ball into a dixie cup from about 3 feet out.

It was shot here in Boston.

Alden Pyle on March 20, 2007 at 12:09 PM

Blather you really don’t get me. That was the point of what I was trying to point out. Michelle claimed the high ground and did the same thing she claimed Drudge had done. Then people here started saying well Drudge said it first. So I pointed out that Michelle did it first. Before you know it we were acting like children(me included (on purpose)). Now I don’t want to get accused of ginning up publicity but my site is called Passionate America. I usually only write about topics I am extremely Passionate about (heck my nickname is Wild Bill, what does that tell you?) I have a radio show where I am even more Passionate. I use humor and extreme opinions to make my point. As you pointed out Blather I am not the finest word smith in the bunch and I know this, but what I do have that separates me from the rest is an extremely passionate way of getting my point across. My way is not always popular, but it is usually entertaining.

The page story that I posted was my first real investigative reporting. I even tried to get other big name bloggers (like MM) to take the story off of my hands. At the time next to no one knew who I was and no one gave me the time of day. I almost did not post the story, not because their was something unethical or immoral about the story, but because I did not think I was worthy of a story as big as it was. I decided to go ahead and publish the story because it was the right thing to do and I was fully aware that I would be torn apart for the story. What surprised me extremely is how people I considered my friends and fellow conservative tore me apart without even reading the story and checking my facts.

Michelle ripped me worse than most and it really hurt at the time. I just started visiting her blog and Hot Air again in the last few weeks. To me the Ann Coulter mess was another example of conservatives tearing another conservative apart without giving them the benefit of the doubt and I took it personal. Then today I ran across this post and it was another example (in my mind) of conservatives eating their own. I think I know what Drudge’s beef is (I believe it is most likely the same as mine.) So I reacted in the best way that I know to to get my point across: passionately. I’ll be back much more often and you might be surprised, you might wake up one day and find that you kind of like me.

I hope Drugde, Ann, and Michelle can start working together again. We have an election to win.

WildBill on March 20, 2007 at 12:39 PM

You don’t need the “bells and whistles”! Who wants to be like Ms couric anyway. I’ve never been on Drudge’s website. I was watching Fox News and was impressed with MM so I started reading her blog, then HA. The hard work you do at HA shows and you are making a difference.

PS. Michelle, my grandchildren Chris and Ian are probably your youngest fans, 2 and 4. They miss the “on the front burner today”. They would say it with you and say “Hi Michelle”

ChrisIansNana on March 20, 2007 at 12:49 PM

heck my nickname is Wild Bill, what does that tell you?

You never want to draw aces and eights? (LOL! Couldn’t resist)

Seriously, some of us remember what happened. We exchanged emails then. I know how tough that was for you and how torn up you were over the whole thing. Most of the people here won’t care though – but you know that. I think you’ve made your point and spending any more time arguing it here is just going to make you relive it.

TheBigOldDog on March 20, 2007 at 12:50 PM

TheBigOldDog, I know it doesn’t seem like it today but that whole episode changed me dramatically for the better. I used to have low self esteem. Not anymore, lol! I’m such a happier person today than I was before that. And for the record I think Vent has awesome production value.

;)

WildBill on March 20, 2007 at 1:00 PM

Finally, is it just me or does Matt Drudge’s radio show lack something? He talks for about 90 seconds, and then goes to commercial break for 4 minutes, that’s his broadcast schedule.
realVerse on March 19, 2007 at 9:51 PM

Talk for a minute and a half, break for four minutes of commercials, and repeat for three hours? Dude, you just described every syndicated conservative talk radio show in America!

I swear the radio host that puts a halfway entertaining radio talk show in Limbaugh’s timeslot with a show clock timed so that the host is talking only when Limbaugh breaks for commercial, will be a millionaire in 18 months and that host will seriously erode Limbaugh’s audience…

ScottMcC on March 20, 2007 at 1:03 PM

Am I the only one that, solely based on the pic, expected to hear ‘No Sleep Till Brooklyn’ or ‘Brass Monkey’ upon clicking play above?

Somebody buy Allah a beer…

(evil smirk)

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on March 19, 2007 at 8:08 PM

There’s probably some background I’m unaware of, but cool pic nonetheless.

‘Blues for Allah and Sha-llah’

Readymade on March 20, 2007 at 1:41 PM

WildBill on March 20, 2007 at 12:39 PM

Interesting point. It leads me to these thoughts.

You know, there is one key difference between what Drudge did and the discussion that ensued between WildBill and others. With WildBill, we know why he is making his criticisms. He has backed up his criticisms with evidence. Some of us, myself included, have disagreed and even taken exception to that evidence, but at least we have been able (and, as I pointed out earlier, at the risk of wrongly taking the focus completely off Drudge) to discuss the facts behind the matter.

With Drudge, all we got was a quick shot of venom backed up by no hard facts to support his rage.

Being of one mind 100% of the time gives no benefit. For one matter, it’s impossible. For another matter, it doesn’t allow us any opportunity for discussion, learning, and growth as a result. The founders of our country realized these truths and built a system that allowed for such discussion and meaningful resolution.

Such discussion may get heated on strongly held views, as illustrated by WildBill, Blather, me, and others, but, in the right context, such discussion is our strength, not our weakness. Note that the Left has no room for such discussion whatsoever. In the end, I think we can all unite, at the very least, under a conservative banner based on that very fact.

flutejpl on March 20, 2007 at 1:48 PM

To clarify something so that it’s clear I’m not a hypocrite… I didn’t report WildBill to Allah. Had I intended to in the midst of such a discussion, I would have said so directly. I’d just wanted to express my concern strongly that, in the spirit of debate, he’d maybe gotten onto thin ice and was taking a bunch of us along. That way, we could all be around for the next round. Maybe someone did report to Allah; maybe Allah found it on his own. There… now that door that I’d left wide open is now closed.

My point still stands… we can have a meaningful discussion on WildBill’s situation in the right forum because we he gives evidence. Drudge didn’t give anything on which Michelle could respond specifically, hence the well-worded but general response article she wrote above. My guess (just a hunch, not an evidence-based accusation) is that Drudge was just looking to start a high profile fight for the benefit of his ratings. From the content and sheer number of these comments, I’d say Drudge bit off more than even he can chew.

flutejpl on March 20, 2007 at 2:08 PM

Professor Blather:

Well first off it is not the content he picks that pisses me off it is his comments and no I do not read his posts anymore. It’s not really my disagreement with AP that causes my disdain it is his hypocrisy and all too often liberal tendencies that cause me to think he’s not the best fit for the type of blog I would hope MM was trying to create.

And the show would be canceled by next Tuesday.

They’d be foolish in the extreme to fix what isn’t broken.

If Hot Air wants to become the American Idol of blogs… well there’s a reason I don’t watch that show either. Manufactured controversy does not intrigue me nor does the shallow Drudge like debate AP spurs on in his posts.

bj1126 on March 20, 2007 at 2:20 PM

bj1126 on March 20, 2007 at 2:20 PM

AP, you lib…I knew it. Hmmm, the more I think about it, the more it seems that AP is actually Markos Moulitsas Zúniga.

Something strange is at play here…Michelle??

SARCASM

Rick on March 20, 2007 at 2:39 PM

WildBill on March 20, 2007 at 12:39 PM

Are you kidding? I freaking LOVE you, man. Nothing entertains me more than massive unadulterated hypocrisy, and you are the world featherweight champion in that category! Dude. I’ve literally been chuckling all day. People keep asking why I’m in such a good mood. It’s you, baby. All you.

Besides, it does me good to remember that pseudo-intellectual pomposity and mindless self-parody exists on both sides of the political aisle. I appreciate the reminder.

Did you REALLY think you were going to attack a fellow conservative pretty viciously … and then claim your whole point was that attacking fellow conservatives was a bad idea … and have people NOT laugh at you, kettle?

Dude. You’re awesome. You’re like our own Glenn Greenwald. A monument to hypocrisy. If you’re always this funny, I’m gonna find your blog and start reading it. Do you have a bunch of sock puppets and a Brazilian cabana boy, too?

bj1126 on March 20, 2007 at 2:20 PM

My point was simply that what they found, works. They routinely get hundreds of comments. The content is always fresh. Why mess with it?

And for the record, if I count correctly, of the 23 posts currently on this blog, Allahpundit delivered 19 of them. Is he an arrogant ass at times? Sure. I feel you, dawg. Word. Does he piss me off sometimes? Sure.

But 19 out of 23, man. It’d be awful quiet here without him, don’t you think?

Besides, I enjoy reading crap that irritates me. There are plenty of places I could go where everyone thinks the same, and where I’d agree with everything. The irony of old Crazy WildBill’s posts up there is that he somehow misses that this place is SO not that place.

Plenty of other blogs to read, if you’d like. In fact, I hear old gay-chaser Bill up there has one. And he’d kill his grandmother for the traffic, so you should check him out.

Seriously. My sides hurt, people. The hilarity has got to stop. I told you to ban me, Allah, you atheist buttmunch.

Professor Blather on March 20, 2007 at 3:19 PM

If I wanted an Echo Chamber, I’d talk to myself.

There is no fun in being a ditto head. I think Prof. Blather hit the nail on the head.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on March 20, 2007 at 3:25 PM

Allah,

This thread has become too long in the tooth and too personal. The time has come for all good men and women – to shut up.

pocomoco on March 20, 2007 at 5:13 PM

Whew! This thread has gone on and on.

Let me cap the observations about Drudge’s collapsing hits with its companion implication:

He’s seen his income peak, and begin a rapid downturn which is likely to accelerate.

Hence, the lashing out.

Anil Petra on March 20, 2007 at 8:47 PM

Again, another contentious thread but this time during the new moon (the last time it was a full moon).

Civility

sports fans, treat each other like humans.

Yes, I am the recruiter. And thank you. I agree. :)

Michelle on March 20, 2007 at 1:21 AM

Michelle is an excellent “managing editor”. And as realverse opined hours ago, Hot Air Rocks.

Zorro on March 20, 2007 at 9:44 PM

oops, quotes are misaligned

Zorro on March 20, 2007 at 9:46 PM

OK, the jig is up, how much did you have to pay Matt to “diss” you his radio show….. HA hits are off the charts……………….

If I didn’t believe in conspiracies, where has Karl Rove been lately??????????

PinkyBigglesworth on March 20, 2007 at 11:02 PM

Drudge complains about a blue screen when his claim to fame is a slighted stained blue dress?

Sounds like his schtick (retro-yokel Walter Winchell hat) is starting to suffocate.

He needs a change of venue, if not Depends.

profitsbeard on March 21, 2007 at 1:33 AM

Best way to blast back, hit him where it hurts.

Drudge is hemorrhaging readers, declining steadily since December, off 50% in terms of percentages of page views on the Internet according to Alexa.

No, not November, with the elections. December.

Anil Petra on March 19, 2007 at 3:17 PM

Actually, check this one out:

Drudge is not only in a 6 month low, he’s in a 5 year low. He hasn’t seen this low an amount of traffic since 2002. I think he’s simply starting to feel the pressure from the competition and it’s a burn for him.

To be honest though, I really don’t understand why he’s getting all up in arms. Despite the fact that he is experiencing lower than normal traffic, his traffic levels are still MUCH higher than Hot Air’s. In fact, his daily traffic is higher than Hot Air’s, LGF’s, Townhall’s, and Rush Limbaugh’s COMBINED!

Methinks that Drudge might be getting a wee bit too big for his britches, and is starting to feel a bit cramped and cranky.

wearyman on March 21, 2007 at 9:52 AM

well crap. My links didn’t show up for some reason.

Let me try that again…

Drudge at 5 year traffic low

Drudge still higher than 4 other major sites combined.

wearyman on March 21, 2007 at 9:54 AM

Hot air REALLY needs an edit feature. Talk about old site design!

wearyman on March 21, 2007 at 9:54 AM

I think much of Matt Drudge’s frustration is simply stemming from the nature of the medium.

Drudge will always have the distinction of being the first. (perhaps an arguable fact, perhaps just an opinion, but I personally believe he was the first to make internet journalism respectable in the mainstream) He no longer has the distinction if being the only. Because of this fact, combined with the fact that it is hard to separate the wheat from the chaff sometimes on the internet, he’ll probably poo-poo anyone who doesn’t do it the same way he does.

gryphon202 on March 21, 2007 at 1:58 PM