Video: Barbara Walters invites Hugo Chavez to propagandize

posted at 7:10 pm on March 18, 2007 by Allahpundit

For those keeping score, this is the second time in less than five weeks that the Bush-hating leader of an enemy state has used ABC News to profess his “love” for humanity.

He knew just what to say, too.

Look at the look on her face. Happy is the man whose own wife gazes at him this adoringly.

bw.jpg

The full interview’s available at YouTube. The part about the socialist miracle of flushing toilets in Caracas grates a bit, but she does give some air time to his opponents.

Comments

No wonder she keeps Rosie around.

GoodBoy on March 18, 2007 at 7:15 PM

Wow Babwa, that was pretty sad. I always put her up a little higher than the rest of crowd she cocktails with. She always seems like a bit more reasonable of a person. Clearly I was mistaken.

RightWinged on March 18, 2007 at 7:23 PM

I was half expecting him to say “America bin berry berry gude to me”.

Baba Wawa makes me sick!

silenced majority on March 18, 2007 at 7:24 PM

Why would she even ASK that question? How about a message from the American people to him!!! Something like, oh I don’t know, how about “Bite my fat American ass, and never set foot here again and never diss our President, Hugo!”

CrimsonFisted on March 18, 2007 at 7:44 PM

If I were an evil dictator, I wouldn’t mind Walters giving me a hand job on national TV either.

lorien1973 on March 18, 2007 at 7:44 PM

Did she ask him, “If you could be a tree, any tree, which one would you be?”

Slick interviewer, that Bawbwa. Looking into people’s souls to see if they’re a Weeping Willow or a Dutch Elm.

This woman must have naughty photos of ABC execs in her safe. Why else is she still on the air?

fogw on March 18, 2007 at 7:44 PM

The screen cap is clearly the happy ending. I wish I could amend my previous post :(

lorien1973 on March 18, 2007 at 7:45 PM

lorien1973 on March 18, 2007 at 7:44 PM

He’s not a dictator.

Nonfactor on March 18, 2007 at 7:49 PM

And I know people will take that post as an opportunity to assume I support Chavez. I don’t. I just think it’s necessary that people know he isn’t a dictator.

Nonfactor on March 18, 2007 at 7:50 PM

He’s not a dictator.

Nonfactor on March 18, 2007 at 7:49 PM

Friend of yours?

fogw on March 18, 2007 at 7:52 PM

I don’t. I just think it’s necessary that people know he isn’t a dictator.

By that standard, neither was Adolf Hitler.

He, too, “won” an “election”.

Misha I on March 18, 2007 at 7:52 PM

Misha I on March 18, 2007 at 7:52 PM

There is one difference between Chavez and Hitler.

Hitler didn’t have his election results verified by Jimmah Carter.

fogw on March 18, 2007 at 8:04 PM

fogw on March 18, 2007 at 8:04 PM

The other being the whole Jewish extermination thingy.
But hey! Give Hugo some time.

SouthernDem on March 18, 2007 at 8:09 PM

“He’s not a dictator.

Nonfactor on March 18, 2007 at 7:49 PM”

It matters not; he has dictatorial powers and functions like a dictator . . . a rose by any other name is still a rose (or in this case an onion).

rplat on March 18, 2007 at 8:16 PM

Let’s face it: Barabara Walters is a dimwit. She should be mocked without mercy. The respect accorded her is not justified. She is using her position to be an enabler of left wing propaganda.

Phil Byler on March 18, 2007 at 8:16 PM

I loved Kevin Nealon’s bit on SNL when he would hammer people, like Fritz Mondale (why did you promise to raise taxes)…

It was hilarious.

benrand on March 18, 2007 at 8:18 PM

SouthernDem on March 18, 2007 at 8:09 PM

I think it was a Nazi extermination thingy, perpetrated on Jews.

It’s irrelevant anyway. Ahmadenijad reported this event never happened, the Zionists made the whole thing up.

fogw on March 18, 2007 at 8:20 PM

No Hugo, you don’t hate the American people, just our President, who represents the American people.

And…….

He’s not a dictator.

Nonfactor on March 18, 2007 at 7:49 PM

You are joking, right?

PinkyBigglesworth on March 18, 2007 at 8:22 PM

He’s not a dictator.

Nonfactor on March 18, 2007 at 7:49 PM

I spoke too soon. President for life. Does that satisfy your need for accuracy? ;)

lorien1973 on March 18, 2007 at 8:35 PM

fogw on March 18, 2007 at 8:20 PM

Whoops! I forgot about Middle Eastern revisionists. Thanks for putting me on the straight and narrow.

SouthernDem on March 18, 2007 at 8:36 PM

Sank you very much, butt munch.

Valiant on March 18, 2007 at 8:40 PM

Thanks for the gumball Propaganda Mickey!

TheBigOldDog on March 18, 2007 at 8:54 PM

Yeah, you can tell Hugo came up with that Martin Luther King bit on the spot. I have a dream. It consists of Hugo Chavez putting down whatever he’s smoking and stop insisting that we’re out to kill him.

Seixon on March 18, 2007 at 9:12 PM

The other being the whole Jewish extermination thingy.
But hey! Give Hugo some time.

Given his close and intimate ties to Ahmadinejad, I’m sure that the only reason he most likely won’t get to that point is a matter of geography, not a lack of desire.

Misha I on March 18, 2007 at 9:16 PM

I would venture to guess that Hitler would have won any election he might have faced throughout most of his reign. That is bound to happen when the opposition is silenced through murder, intimidation, and imprisonment and when you control the media. Which is sort what Hugo has been up to.

tommy1 on March 18, 2007 at 9:24 PM

Misha I on March 18, 2007 at 9:16 PM

True, true. Perhaps Stalin would be more apropos.

SouthernDem on March 18, 2007 at 9:43 PM

True, true. Perhaps Stalin would be more apropos.

SouthernDem on March 18, 2007 at 9:43 PM

Ideologically, most definitely (although Adolf and Hugo share quite a few traits there as well), but not so much when it comes to rise to power.

All Hugo’s missing there is a Reichstag fire, otherwise the analogy is pretty much perfect.

Misha I on March 18, 2007 at 9:45 PM

Is that really Barbara Walters? I can’t see through all the haze.

Stormy70 on March 18, 2007 at 9:54 PM

Is that really Barbara Walters? I can’t see through all the haze.

Her camera crew used to use soft focus on her camera.

Now they just mash a pastrami sandwich on the lens before they start filming.

Misha I on March 18, 2007 at 10:10 PM

It appears that Barbara Walters and Hugo Chavez had this “speech” prepared. Near the end of the clip Chavez appears to be reading from something.

William

William2006 on March 18, 2007 at 10:18 PM

Is it just me, or does the MSM love cuddling up to any tyrant, war-monger, dictator, president-for-life they can get next to? This reminds me of that love-in between Mike Wallace and Ahmadummyjerk (spelling might be a wee bit off). Who cares what his message for America might be? Nothing he has to say is of any meaningful value. And, how cliche’. Like MLK quotes haven’t been done to death already by every *sswipe looking to portray themselves as sincere or likeable.

thedecider on March 18, 2007 at 10:25 PM

Phil Byler on March 18, 2007 at 8:16 PM

If this is truly a trait of Barbara Walters, then perhaps we can understand why Rosie O’Donnel, Joy Behar, and third uninformed, misguided left wing, liberal, fifth columnist View member are all spewing their pabulum on “The View” while Elizabeth H gets clobbered on the show, people interrupt her, talk over her, shout above her, and speak in a condescending manner toward her, and why the three other View participants are always attacking things many of us hold dear, and while “The View” audience claps in unison, cheering, agreeing with, and praising the “Three Oracles.”

William

William2006 on March 18, 2007 at 10:33 PM

thedecider on March 18, 2007 at 10:25 PM

It isn’t just you–the enemedia (and the rest of the leftists) can’t get enough of cozying up to tyrants. The same people who accuse Bush of being a dictator can’t get their heads far enough up Castro’s or Chavez’ ass, while congratulating themselves on how much they care about “human rights”. This is why the term “liberal hypocrisy” is redundant.

ReubenJCogburn on March 18, 2007 at 10:40 PM

Is that really Barbara Walters? I can’t see through all the haze.
Her camera crew used to use soft focus on her camera.

Now they just mash a pastrami sandwich on the lens before they start filming.

Misha I on March 18, 2007 at 10:10 PM

Laughing uncontrollably…Damn.

hillbillyjim on March 18, 2007 at 11:31 PM

He thinks he can win an election against Bush in America?!?!?!

Unfortunately in California or El Paso, TX he probably could win a congressional race for the House. He can have Maxine Waters district.

Theworldisnotenough on March 19, 2007 at 12:01 AM

That guy makes me sick. I had a whole paragraph typed out but thats what it basically came down to

sirmyth on March 19, 2007 at 12:11 AM

I feel the LOVE!

Only in America it’s possible to ‘glorify’ a Barbara Walters.

Chavez is not a dictator, like Nonfactor is a factor.

Entelechy on March 19, 2007 at 12:12 AM

Chavez says he loves the American people, but hates its administration. Well, that’s not news, the Democrats are braying the same thing everyday.

Also, wasn’t it the Democrats who, not long ago, were accusing the Republicans that they never met a dictator they didn’t like? But now, the Democrats are having a love-fest with them. What’s changed their way of thinking?

Well, let’s just say the Democrats find soul-brothers in those who hate America, and they are seeking guidance from them.

Isn’t that what Rather, Wallace, Walters, and a myriad of reporters and congressmen were doing when they went to Syria, Iran and other Middle Eastern countries?

pocomoco on March 19, 2007 at 12:52 AM

He’s not a dictator.

Nonfactor on March 18, 2007 at 7:49 PM

Thanks for clearing that up, NF, ’cause I thought he was!
Thanks to you, I see Chavez as a ….well a guy who just kinda says things and those things become laws.
Not a dictator!
Not a man who dictates.
Thanx again NF!

billy on March 19, 2007 at 1:29 AM

barbara walters truly has her priorities mixed up. I’ve not liked her for a LONG time due to this issue. She came out in public on THE VIEW trashing a poor mother who’s baby was crying for food for breastfeeding on a plane..oh yes let’s let the poor baby starve..how DARE that mother feed her baby naturally..and the bitch ridiculed her in public! I will never forgive her for that….

Then she goes on to say she won’t interview simpson because it’s unethical yet she’ll interview chavez who wants our destruction?

I don’t care if it’s wrong to say..but yes, bawbawa you are a bitch!

Highrise on March 19, 2007 at 2:37 AM

Barbara who? Oh, yes, the one who support O’Donnell and her propaganda on the “View”. Yes, I remember now, the one that I made a decision not to watch or discuss, and to avoid any of her sponsors that I happen to find out about.

But then I don’t pay attention to the one who sponsored O’Donnell to such a degree that her name is becoming such an old memory that only her ancient image (yes, she really is that old, you know, like Helen Thomas) brings a faded memory back to life – briefly.

omegaram on March 19, 2007 at 3:02 AM

I am convinced that all of the so called MSM “reporters” must be banned from talking to leaders outside of the US. They have proven that they make us all appear to be ignorant, childish egotists.

Stop them!!!

Golfer_75093 on March 19, 2007 at 8:17 AM

“Would you give a message to the American people in English?”

I have a message I could give to Chavez using only one finger.

saint kansas on March 19, 2007 at 9:58 AM

Is that really Barbara Walters? I can’t see through all the haze.

Her camera crew used to use soft focus on her camera.

Now they just mash a pastrami sandwich on the lens before they start filming.

Misha I on March 18, 2007 at 10:10 PM

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!

isn’t a dictator.
Nonfactor on March 18, 2007 at 7:50 PM

I’m gonna go out on a limb here and defend Nonfactor. He’s right of course, Hugo is NOT not a dictator, after all, he’s still solidifying his dictatorial grasp. Let’s say he’s a dictator-in-progress…

Bad Candy on March 19, 2007 at 10:43 AM

Hugo looks like he’s waiting for something in that screencap…

Heh, Allah, nice screencap.

Bad Candy on March 19, 2007 at 10:47 AM

Chavez only proves more and more Bush 41′s words to Larry King about him when he talks like this.

flutejpl on March 19, 2007 at 10:55 AM

Shame on Barbara Walters. So Hooogo wanted to say to the American citizens “He loves MLK. MLK’s dream is Hooogo’s dream is our dream blah blah blah.” A good follow up question might have been, “what is the most essential element of MLK’s dream?” I guarantee he wouldn’t know what to say… and I wouldn’t really care. I just have a suspicion that someone is advising him on what to say and I want to find out who that is. Someone who knows politics in America well advised him to say something as P.C. as possible. Say something that nobody will want to disagree with and force the less academically inclined amongst the American citizens to say “geee that was really nice to hear. Hooogo’s not that bad a guy.” Whoever is doing this is a traitor and a treasonist. My guess is that whoever is doing this has the last name Kennedy. In MA we I see the whole “Joe for Oil” commercial campaign that is going on and that makes me sick. We know Teddy’s past with the Commies. It fits together like a puzzle.

Zetterson on March 19, 2007 at 12:29 PM

Yes, she hates Bush and this country enough to give air time to one of its enemies. His own country doesn’t allow this type of press, but we do so let’s parade him on network television. We have people fighting and dying to protect his freedom too I guess?

Little Caesar, you are a coward and a thug. Barbara Walters, you too are disgusting.

Hening on March 19, 2007 at 3:09 PM