Gathering of Eagles

posted at 11:17 pm on March 17, 2007 by Bryan

Check out that eagle. He looks annoyed. I probably looked alot like him today, watching thousands of Soros-funded astroturfed moonbats in their parade of scum and villainy across Washington.

eagle

But seeing thousands of patriots, some barely able to walk, many still scarred outside and inside from their heroic efforts to defend our country during conflicts past, took a little of the edge off. Those patriots found out about the Gathering of Eagles through emails, word of mouth, on Free Republic, on Move America Forward, here on Hot Air and michellemalkin.com, all over the place. There was no Soros Santa on our side marketing the march and bussing people in from all over the country. People drove through ice storms to get there, because they believed it was their duty to support the troops who are putting their lives on the line every single day to defend us. And they were noticed. If you were there, you were noticed. March 17, 2007 was a day that will go down as the first day that patriots decided to answer ANSWER man for man and woman for woman. Cindy Sheehan and Jane Fonda and the anti-America chorus didn’t monopolize the day. Veterans, bikers, and moms and dads and kids wouldn’t let them. Not anymore. It was a historic day.

Michelle has the best round-up of coverage going. Age of Hooper has just put some clips up. We’ll have a video report from the Gathering of Eagles for you on Monday morning. You don’t want to miss it. Michelle and I spent most of our time with the patriots, and a Hot Air photographer took one for the team and spent most of his time with the…others. So we’ll have photos and video from both sides.

Now, I want you to watch an ad. It was produced by Move America Forward, and it’s going national on Monday. They gave us permission to air it here first. It’s powerful.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I like the ad overall, but I question the use of an nuclear explosion at the end….I think they should use photos of the WTC (1993 & 2001). Pentagon too. Would have better impact showing that they have already struck here, and want to do that again.

still468 on March 17, 2007 at 11:47 PM

I agree 100 percent. A clip of the second plane impacting the south tower would have been a more sobering visual.

Mallard T. Drake on March 18, 2007 at 1:03 PM

I dunno, Mallard .. the knee-jerk reaction from the lefties that “Saddam and Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11! More Bush lies!” would devalue that as a visual in context with our effort in Iraq. Maybe something depicting urban warfare/terrorist attacks in the cities, to show that it can and might happen here, unless we defeat them there.

Anyway, I wish I could have been in DC. But I did make it down to a local version of yesterday’s protests, and got some pics and video. It was … interesting.

LissaKay on March 18, 2007 at 1:12 PM

Gathering of Eagles warm graves of fallen soldiers:
Miracle in Washington

Candian free Pess

By Judi McLeod

Sunday, March 18, 2007

Yesterday, St. Patrick’s Day 2007, a group of ordinary patriots, known nobly as The Gathering of Eagles, achieved something no one else ever could.

Ragtag by nature, Gathering of Eagles’ membership includes the wounded, both walking and in wheelchairs, the gratefully and proudly ageing and the living-with-the-memory-of-lost-loved ones, brokenhearted. Some lie awake nights worrying about loved ones still in harm’s way, but the one human emotion missing from Gathering of Eagle members is disillusion. All because if there was any chance the touted anti-war protesters were going to desecrate war memorials, then The Gathering of Eagles members were going to be there–no matter from how far away they had to come, no matter in what shape March 17 was to find them in.

When they came to the call of Move America Forward, they knew in their hearts that they would be up against it. March 17 was not only the 40th anniversary of the Mother of all anti-war protests, when a decades-ago massive march to the Pentagon demanded an end to the war in Vietnam, it was also being marked as the 4th Anniversary of Operation Iraqi Freedom…. (read more tha the link)

TheBigOldDog on March 18, 2007 at 1:37 PM

here’s a heartwarming image of a patriotic dissenter in a sunni scarf.

jummy on March 18, 2007 at 1:47 PM

The traditional Christian practice of “keeping clean language” comes from Ephesians:

4:29 (NIV)- Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.

and 5:4 – Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving.

It’s very late – g’nite

roydee43 on March 18, 2007 at 4:49 AM

But the problem with this line of thinking as that there was no English language at the time the Bible was written, so someone somewhere along the line just decided which few words were swears, which is stupid. If I say “sh**” and I saying anything worse than saying “crap”? Maybe it would seem like it because I couldn’t get away with it at a job, on network TV, or in public school… but does it really make any sense that “sh**” is worse than “crap”… really? Come on.

RightWinged on March 18, 2007 at 2:39 PM

I am very proud of my fellow Americans who stood shoulder to shoulder with heroes at GOE. Many thanks to heroes in an out of uniform. I have many regrets not being able to go. This thread and Michelles blog – very inspiring.

infidel on March 18, 2007 at 3:26 PM

infidel on March 18, 2007 at 3:26 PM

Mega Dittos, I was there in spirit. Wish I was there in
body as well.

Texyank on March 18, 2007 at 4:02 PM

The Eagles have not only stood up to the voices of destruction, but have also injected a big dose of encouragement and enthusiasm into those of us who want the US to be victorious and secure for everyone who loves freedom. Your energy moves us!

Now we desperately need new uncompromising voices among our elected representatives. It is they who are AWOL in this fight.

The Ritz on March 18, 2007 at 4:50 PM

the problem with this line of thinking . . . [??!ed.]
RightWinged on March 18, 2007 at 2:39 PM

Though this subject is way off the GoE track and should probably be discussed elsewhere – let me gently ask you: what scriptural imperative was written after the invention of the English language? And what does that have to do with whether that imperative remains valid or not?

The point is, in every culture since the apostle penned the words quoted by roydee43 the people of that culture have a pretty clear understanding of which words and expressions are generally regarded as unwholesome, obscene, foolish, coarse within that culture. The point of these verses is to direct those of us who believe to avoid words, expressions, conversations that most others within our culture would place in these undesirable categories.

I do agree with one of your points – there isn’t a substantive difference between “f*%k you” and “scr*# you” and “eff you”. They have the same obscene meaning. Avoid them if you take The Word at face value. If you want to rationalize or explain away the plain meaning of Scripture, say whatever you want to say.

The Ritz on March 18, 2007 at 5:16 PM

Congrats to the GOE and all participants and supporters. Outstanding turnout, outnumbering the sons of Sheehan by 3 to 1 by most estimates. Of course the MSM is down playing the numbers … wouldn’t want to give the rest of America any ideas would they?

darwin on March 18, 2007 at 5:17 PM

Of course, leave it to me to focus on

THE REAL FUN OF THE GATHERING OF EAGLES.

seejanemom on March 18, 2007 at 5:50 PM

I’ve posted my Flickr set from Gathering Of Eagles, here….

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on March 18, 2007 at 6:55 PM

For me, the contrast between those who respect our troops, our President, our country, our country’s Capitol, heritage, and monuments vs. those who disrespect everything and everyone, becomes crystal clear when we read this portion from Michele’s blogpost:

In general, the anti- ____ crowd was comprised of naive and some very factually-challenged people. Signs with “data” were simply wrong.

The usual protest representatives were there: sixties hippies; their kids; ANSWER; Che Guevara; the pacifist and anti-fight for anything crowd. They were joined by another assortment of protesters: high school kids bussed in from Philly – they get extra credit in their US History classes if they participate in a protest (note, anti, not pro); a few who dressed like Palestinians and carried signs for the oppression of the Palestinians; “No war with Iran” crowd; impeach everyone crowd; anti-Halliburton; etc. These people are well-financed, signage is good.

On the other hand, the vets were proud, professional, and polite. Speakers summarized some real history – in particular, the real culprits for Vietnam casualties. One speaker, Kevin Michael of DC was particularly powerful! He is a Desert Storm Veteran and proud of it. He speaks well for all veterans.

After the protesters took their march to the Pentagon (who works there on a Saturday is beyond me) the Vets milled around, making sure key contacts will be maintained. An interesting side point: the grounds where the vets congregated were clean, no trash; the grounds where the protesters congregated – well, they apparently don’t know how to use trash cans.

That describes the anti-war camp quite well…disrespectful and TRASHY!

Talkwisdom

Christinewjc on March 18, 2007 at 6:59 PM

Send an email to answer; info@internationalanswer.org

GO PICK UP ALL YOUR TRASH.
What in the world is wrong with you? You spend months and who knows how much money, yet you leave all your trash in the Nations Capital??
Ignorant and dirty is how you look today.

Sore losers is what they are today!!!
Thx MM, Bryan and all of you.

shooter on March 18, 2007 at 7:05 PM

The Ritz on March 18, 2007 at 5:16 PM

It’s not rationalizing anything The Ritz. I’m talking strictly about language. I’m not saying it’s right to have “screw you” or “f**k you” in your heart, but if I’m honest… how else do I describe what I feel about people like Howard Dean or Hillary Clinton? I can say I think they are shameful human beings and a disgrace to the country… But that’s still thinking negatively about them.

But again, that’s not the issue. Saying “sh**” is the same thing as saying “crap”… I find it odd that someone decided that one is worse than the other, and there is no Biblical basis for this and to say there is, is utterly ridiculous considering these words didn’t exist. God or Jesus never said “okay, in the future there will be many more languages, and some random people along the way will select half a dozen words or so that are inappropriate for use on network TV or in school, even though they mean the same thing as other acceptable words.

But you’re right about one thing, this is off topic, and it was only mentioned initially because I know “we” like to complain about the left’s vulgarity, but it depends on the usage. I don’t see the problem with saying that the media’s coverage of the Gathering of Eagles was total “bullsh**”… You may, but you’re choosing not to think for yourself if you do.

RightWinged on March 18, 2007 at 7:33 PM

“unwholesome talk” or “obscene language” varies from person to person. It’s relative.

Nonfactor on March 18, 2007 at 7:47 PM

Thanks to all of you who stood up for the troops, past and present, and for America. Looking at the sea of American flags on our side did my heart good. It was a welcome contrast to the cowardly yellow on their side–I was surprised there wasn’t more Communist red, but then those “peace” groups don’t want average Americans to know their real agenda.

ReubenJCogburn on March 18, 2007 at 8:55 PM

MikeO at 12:21pm : The Gathering of Eagles needs to be a continuing effort,

There it is. What did we expect? We were ignored because they want us to go away. We didn’t get a fair shake because it isn’t part of the medias mission. It is early Monday morning and I am dog tired. Plane arrived 6 hours late without the luggage and it was a cold SOB but worth every friggin shiver. If we expect to be rewarded with our 15 mins of fame by the networks and papers well it is not going to happen. If the media gave us coverage it would blow open the myth that 70% of Americans are against the war. The Dems and leftards and media don’t want to explain to the people that uncomfortable lie.

Stay together. Stay focused. Stay TRUE to ourselves. But if we stay-home because we didn’t make the cover of Time then we have lost.

God bless this great country. God bless GOE. God bless our fighting men and women everywhere!

Limerick on March 19, 2007 at 8:25 AM

RightWinged on March 18, 2007 at 7:33 PM

Read my post again. Did I say anything to suggest there is a Biblical basis for choosing which particular English word is obscene or not? No. That’s your straw man not mine.

What I did say is that our culture identifies those words, phrases, and ideas. Once they are so identified (even by people who don’t care a whit for the Bible) it’s up to believers to avoid the inevitable contamination that results when we mix them with our message.

If you want to rant about how crazy it is for our culture to arbitrarily pick out words as coarse or obscene, be my guest and rage against the wind. On the other hand I think it’s safe to say there are many ways to more productively use your time.

The Ritz on March 19, 2007 at 1:23 PM

Are you morons fighting over the use of bad language? Really?

Stay focused, knuckleheads!

Bad Candy on March 19, 2007 at 1:49 PM

The Ritz on March 19, 2007 at 1:23 PM

Straw man nothin’. All I was talking about was language, you accused me of trying to “rationalize” something. I have nothing to rationalize, if I had an issue with swearing, I’d simply stop… but the whole concept of “swearing” is bullsh**. Oh, sorry, did that offend someone? I guess if I had said the whole concept of “swearing” is “bologna”, people who can’t think for themselves could digest it better.

Now you’re saying that you agree that one word isn’t worse than another that has the same meaning, outside of “society” deciding it is so, but you still think we need to walk on eggshells for these people who simply can’t think for themselves? While we’re at it, why don’t we never argue when they say “Bush lied on WMDs” or talk about “global warming”… We’ll just keep on censoring ourselves so that simpletons can have a more pleasant day, rather than have a reasoned thought.

Here’s what you said again:

The Ritz on March 18, 2007 at 5:16 PM

Here again are the verses cited by roydee:

Ephesians

Well, by your logic then you’re going against 4:29 by accusing me of rationalizing or building strawmen… That doesn’t sound like building me up according to my needs, does it?

As for 5:4… what is “obscenity” or “foolish talk”? My point is, that the English language wasn’t around at the time, so what folks have identified as “obscene language” (s**t, f**k, etc.) over the years has absolutely nothing to do with scripture. Again, if you think we should just be zombies and accept that these words are bad because that’s what society has decided, be my guest… I prefer to think for myself here. I obviously am not going to go in to a job interview “swearing” though, because i’d never get a job, and I don’t swear in front of kids because it’s not my place to teach kids something their parents don’t agree with. Same with not wanting to piss off my family. But in general in the adult world, I’m not going to be looking over my shoulder worrying about “what will people think” if I spill food on my close and want to say “aw s**t”.

RightWinged on March 19, 2007 at 2:25 PM

As I said, much better things to do with time . . .

My apologies Bad Candy – I’m letting it go.

The Ritz on March 19, 2007 at 2:27 PM

One battle in a long war.

Eventually we keep it up and the MSM will notice.

Semper Fi to all those in DC.

Bless you.

MSimon on March 19, 2007 at 2:37 PM

No need for apologies, its just dumb to waste time on arguing over such petty nonsense, there’s just bigger fish to fry.

Bad Candy on March 19, 2007 at 2:39 PM

Bryan…please leave this post up a few days. Some just getting home need a place to vent.

Limerick on March 19, 2007 at 3:19 PM

Nonfactor on March 18, 2007 at 4:14 AM

PinkyBigglesworth, you seemed so impatient for me to answer your question, but when I do you promptly ignore the thread. Convenient.

Nonfactor on March 19, 2007 at 5:51 PM

I was very proud to be there. Hats off to MM and Hot Air for getting behind what will likely be one of the least reported truly historic events in modern history.

MM was nice enough to let me get a picture.

CourtZero on March 19, 2007 at 8:31 PM

Good grief. Sorry for the bad link. This is better.

CourtZero on March 19, 2007 at 8:32 PM

Bad Candy,

You’re right, it’s dumb to argue. I made my mistake when I thought RightWinged was genuinely asking for an explanation.

Moving on. . .

The Ritz on March 19, 2007 at 9:55 PM

If this thread isn’t dead…

I normally don’t use profane language in public. I joined the Army when I was 17 though, and the fact is that if you’re a soldier you quickly learn to use the f-word like a comma. So keeping my language clean is something I constantly work on. (Lord knows that I am a sinner & need his grace just about every day of my life.)

However, when Surrender Cindy started talking, the only word that came to my mind was “B******t”. I couldn’t help myself. I think that being in the presence of something or someone so awful simply allows no other comment than a vulgar profanity. I could no more stop myself from saying that than the other 5000 people or so who all started chanting, simultaneously & without prompt, the exact same word.

I submit that if that many patriots all use the same word to describe the Sainted Cindy, then perhaps it’s time to give the word a little respect.

A pile of crap still stinks no matter what noun you use.

nauticalbear on March 19, 2007 at 10:49 PM