Scientists: Manly men heal faster

posted at 11:19 am on March 16, 2007 by Allahpundit

Alpha males: Is there anything they can’t do?

The participants completed questionnaires that measured the degree to which they bought into masculine norms, such as physical strength, sexual performance, independence and successful career achievement.

They also answered questions about how attached they were to rigid gender roles…

The study found that increased masculinity had some negative effects on the recovery of “manly men.” The participants who believed it was appropriate to hold in their emotions, be self-reliant and have power over women had less favorable views toward seeking psychological help. This “I can take care of myself” attitude could be detrimental to already injured men…

But, men who focused on their careers, success, power and competition reported better relations in their community. These same participants showed greater improvement a year after their hospitalization.

Perhaps, the scientists report, an inner narrative is the engine behind the boost in health. For example, a brawny boy might think, “Yeah there are tough challenges, but nothing will stop me from reaching my goal,” the scientists state in a report of this study published in a recent issue of the journal Psychology of Men and Masculinity.

Exit question: Isn’t it better to be a cringing beta male who never takes risks and therefore never has to heal in the first place?

Update: I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that the guy in the back here heals sloooowly:

plame.jpg

plame002.jpg

Comments

Slublog on March 16, 2007 at 11:22 AM

The Plame hearing was today, complete with a transvestite dressed in pink dress clothes over a pink t-shirt with “Impeach Bush Now” written on it…. and this is the post? Please tell me someone is cutting video!?

RightWinged on March 16, 2007 at 11:22 AM

There is a journal Psychology of Men and Masculinity?

I never would have guessed in a thousand years.

Lehosh on March 16, 2007 at 11:23 AM

Just added the screencaps, Randy.

Allahpundit on March 16, 2007 at 11:23 AM

*snort*

lan astaslem on March 16, 2007 at 11:24 AM

Dunno. I live with an alpha male who statistically, I should outlive.

Or maybe it will just seem longer. (Badah bing…)

honora on March 16, 2007 at 11:25 AM

…and they see more action than wimps. Although Amanda Marcotte and that other slag are doing their darndest to service as many nasty smelly wimpy hairy pachuli-mixed-with-b.o.-smelling cry-baby boys. Even when I was a liberal, I preferred conservative, manly men.

foxforce91 on March 16, 2007 at 11:31 AM

I preferred conservative, manly men.

..in a uniform. Oh me! (swooning)

KelliD on March 16, 2007 at 11:33 AM

Does Code-Pinko let cross-dressers join?? As for the rate of his healing, despite the pink dress, he looks pretty brawny to me. (More so than Guiliani in drag anyway.)

Even when I was a liberal, I preferred conservative, manly men.
foxforce91 on March 16, 2007 at 11:31 AM

Amen!

lan astaslem on March 16, 2007 at 11:34 AM

Pink is NOT Joe Wilson’s color.

KelliD on March 16, 2007 at 11:34 AM

No, a uniform always turns my head. If my husband were in the service, I’d make him wear that thing all day long! Or the camo – that’s sexy too.

foxforce91 on March 16, 2007 at 11:36 AM

More scientific proof that God never wanted men to be effeminate.

That thing in the back is obvious visual proof God never wanted it.

IndependentConserv on March 16, 2007 at 11:40 AM

SEXISM!!!

Defector01 on March 16, 2007 at 11:41 AM

Just added the screencaps, Randy.

Allahpundit on March 16, 2007 at 11:23 AM

Lol, thanks AP… really looking for the serious Plame thread, but that tranny definitely needed his… her…. its 15 minutes. I’ve got to assume she… he… it will definitely make it to at least one late night show.

RightWinged on March 16, 2007 at 11:42 AM

Pink is NOT Joe Wilson’s color.

KelliD on March 16, 2007 at 11:34 AM

HAHA!!! I had that exact thought while watching this live earlier.

RightWinged on March 16, 2007 at 11:43 AM

This whole “metrosexual” thing was all made up by lefty libs who couldn’t get girlfriends. They went on TV and told us how females prefer sissy boys with gel in their hair over a real man who might not smell so good when he gets home from work.

In reality, a woman wants a man who can protect her, make her feel safe and secure, and who DOESN’T spend more time in front of the mirror than SHE does. HE should be the one standing by the door, looking at his watch, not HER.

I have many female friends and they all say the same thing, manly men are far more ATTRACTIVE than a pretty boy.

Mrs737 and I were watching “Troy” the other night and she said “Orlando Bloom is a good lookin’ guy, but when he (“Paris”) ran from the fight and grabbed his brother Hector’s leg, hiding behind him, Eric Banna became so hot.” (Not word for word)

Even though it was just a movie, the pretty boy actor was no longer as *attractive* to her, now she likes the manly man (“Hector”) who saved his little brother’s life, even though Eric Banna is not as ‘good looking’ as Orlando Bloom.

This goes all the way back to the caveman days. A woman and her children need to be protected, a manly man has better genes for survival in a harsh world and will give her stronger offspring, therefore he is a lot more *attractive* (using that word literally), than a skinny boy “wid a purdy mouff”.

Tony737 on March 16, 2007 at 11:48 AM

LOL… my two daughters went to see 300 last night…

Both came home swooning over the Spartans…

Romeo13 on March 16, 2007 at 11:57 AM

That explains my mutant healing factor.

Speaking of Manly Men, I’m currently listening to Fred Thompson filling in for Paul Harvey and I swear my paper cut is sealing itself up.

saint kansas on March 16, 2007 at 11:59 AM

I never noticed Valerie had the kind of smile that says, “Yes, I’d screw my country for a book deal.”

Clarifications developing …

Dusty on March 16, 2007 at 12:03 PM

Really? Where is the line forming?

Blacklake on March 16, 2007 at 12:08 PM

Mrs737 and I were watching “Troy” the other night and she said “Orlando Bloom is a good lookin’ guy, but when he (”Paris”) ran from the fight and grabbed his brother Hector’s leg, hiding behind him, Eric Banna became so hot.” (Not word for word)

Even though it was just a movie, the pretty boy actor was no longer as *attractive* to her, now she likes the manly man (”Hector”) who saved his little brother’s life, even though Eric Banna is not as ‘good looking’ as Orlando Bloom.

Tony737 on March 16, 2007 at 11:48 AM

I totally agree women prefer “manly” men. Don’t really think it has a lot to do with hair gel or how someone smells. Has to do with strength of character and chivalry and courage and lots of other stuff.

The rest? Packaging.

honora on March 16, 2007 at 12:08 PM

I’m sorry, but I’ve never found that strong body odor really helped with scoring chicks…maybe in the animal kingdom.

packsoldier on March 16, 2007 at 12:13 PM

Romeo13 on March 16, 2007 at 11:57 AM

I’m still having dreams about those Spartans. (as I swoon again)

KelliD on March 16, 2007 at 12:14 PM

NO, staying on the sidelines, watching the battle doesn’t appeal to me. You know the whole Roosevelt thing about being in the mud, and the pit and not on the sidelines.

right2bright on March 16, 2007 at 12:26 PM

I AM an Alpha male and I DO heal faster. I notice that my alpha male attributes get me more looks from women as well, so…

rattrap47 on March 16, 2007 at 12:28 PM

Oh man, that was funny! I started looking past VP’s left shoulder thinking it was the guy picking his nose in the second frame. Then, I glance right and, then….WTF….All I could do was laugh. The only thing people will remember is the transvestite standing in the back of the room not the message.

“Speak Truth To Power!” And make sure your lipstick is pink!

JohnnyD on March 16, 2007 at 12:30 PM

Really? Where is the line forming?

Blacklake on March 16, 2007 at 12:08 PM

Heh. I’ll see you there.

Seriously, though, would she be getting any press if she looked like Linda Tripp?

RW Wacko on March 16, 2007 at 12:30 PM

RW Wacko on March 16, 2007 at 12:30 PM

You’re not suggesting Linda Tripp didn’t get media attention are you? See, the very fact that you know her name would belie that.

honora on March 16, 2007 at 12:35 PM

“Speak Truth To Power!” And make sure your lipstick is pink!

JohnnyD on March 16, 2007 at 12:30 PM

Lol, I wonder if others thought the same… because I find that BDS Tranny to be one of the funniest things I’ve ever seen, and am shocked that everyone here haven’t made similar comments… I wonder if like you JohnnyD, they thought it was about the skinny reporter dude, and didn’t really get what was so funny. It’s just obvious to me, that monster in the back looks like a serial killer.

RightWinged on March 16, 2007 at 12:39 PM

Pretty much.

PRCalDude on March 16, 2007 at 12:41 PM

The term ‘alpha male’ definitely needs some definition. I’ve got a SEAL buddy who is definitely an alpha male, but he’s trapped as a perpetual teenager. Girls like him initially, but it quickly wears off. He can’t maintain any stable relationships.

PRCalDude on March 16, 2007 at 12:45 PM

Wow, I never thought this would happen…I actually agree with Honora. :-)

JustTruth101 on March 16, 2007 at 12:46 PM

Honora: “strength of character”

Exactly. That’s what it was all about. “Paris” hid behind his brother, cowering and crying like a be-otch. “Hector” stood up, took charge, and kicked ass.

He had “strength of character” and that made him so much more attractive (there’s that word again). We put the movie on pause to discuss this topic in detail. At the start of the film, the Mrs. thought Paris was “cute” (like John Edwards?) and Hector was just “OK”, but after seeing Paris punk out of a fight, and Hector take control of the situation, HE became the attractive one and Paris became a sissyboy she lost interest in. She said “A pretty boy face will only last for so long, after that you have more important things to worry about, like survival.” (Again, not word for word).

Tony737 on March 16, 2007 at 12:57 PM

I never wanted to do this job in the first place!
I… I wanted to be…

A LUMBERJACK!

(piano vamp)

Leaping from tree to tree! As they float down the mighty rivers of
British Columbia! With my best girl by my side!
The Larch!
The Pine!
The Giant Redwood tree!
The Sequoia!
The Little Whopping Rule Tree!
We’d sing! Sing! Sing!

Oh, I’m a lumberjack, and I’m okay,
I sleep all night and I work all day.

CHORUS: He’s a lumberjack, and he’s okay,
He sleeps all night and he works all day.

I cut down trees, I eat my lunch,
I go to the lava-try.
On Wednesdays I go shoppin’
And have buttered scones for tea.

Mounties: He cuts down trees, he eats his lunch,
He goes to the lava-try.
On Wednesdays ‘e goes shoppin’
And has buttered scones for tea.

CHORUS

I cut down trees, I skip and jump,
I like to press wild flowers.
I put on women’s clothing,
And hang around in bars.

Mounties: He cuts down trees, he skips and jumps,
He likes to press wild flowers.
He puts on women’s clothing
And hangs around…. In bars???????

CHORUS

I chop down trees, I wear high heels,
Suspendies and a bra.
I wish I’d been a girlie
Just like my dear papa.

Mounties: He cuts down trees, he wears high heels
Suspendies?? and a …. a Bra????
(spoken, raggedly) What’s this? Wants to be a *girlie*? Oh, My!
And I thought you were so rugged! Poofter!

CHORUS

All: He’s a lumberjack, and he’s okaaaaaaayyy….. (BONG)

Queasy on March 16, 2007 at 1:11 PM

After further review of my various scars, HELL NO!

steveegg on March 16, 2007 at 1:11 PM

Yep, strength of character, loyalty, love of family and a bone deep sense of honor. And someone with a sense of humor, but who knows how to act like an adult and a gentleman. Too bad I’ve never met him.

Ellen on March 16, 2007 at 1:12 PM

I feel bad for you Ellen. I was raised by a man like you described. My brother grew up to be a man like you described. And I married a man like you described. They are out there.

KelliD on March 16, 2007 at 1:32 PM

It’s just obvious to me, that monster in the back looks like a serial killer.
RightWinged on March 16, 2007 at 12:39 PM

Now that you mention it RightWinged….Looks likes the guy in Silence of the Lambs who skinned his victims… [Shudder]….That’s a scary thought. And just how did this person get by security? Oh, that’s right…it’s because of diversity! We can’t let an ugly transvestite be discriminated against.

Also, looking again at the two frames provided, notice how everyone looks down as VP looks @ her “notes”. What, did they pass out a program guide? Or does everyone have the same script?

JohnnyD on March 16, 2007 at 1:36 PM

Dunno. I live with an alpha male who statistically, I should outlive.

Or maybe it will just seem longer. (Badah bing…)

honora on March 16, 2007 at 11:25 AM

You can be so incredibly witty/funny/adorable/sharing honora. I know my HA ‘brethren/sisters’ will not all agree, but I sure like you being here.

Totally on topic – someone who has the strength to allow the other complete freedom to be who they are prevents lots of bruising.

Entelechy on March 16, 2007 at 1:39 PM

Does indeed look like he’s signing. From the two pixs. Anyone able to translate? (Need an actual video clip) One can only fantasize it’s a prankster signing something like “

you can tell she’s lying ’cause her lips are moving.”

naliaka on March 16, 2007 at 2:03 PM

Ah, I don’t think Ted Levine who currently plays Captain Stottlemeyer on the show Monk looks that way now. He’s definitely more of a “Alpha Male” type.

kiakjones on March 16, 2007 at 2:10 PM

JohnnyD on March 16, 2007 at 1:36

kiakjones on March 16, 2007 at 2:10 PM

Nah, you’re both wrong. It’s the psychiatrist from the 1980 horror movie “Dressed to Kill”.

RightWinged on March 16, 2007 at 2:13 PM

Does that mean I have to stop playing rugby?

Hell no!

And, who’s the cute chick in the pink dress?

mesablue on March 16, 2007 at 2:45 PM

The sound of Fred Thompson’s voice heals gout and cures herpes.

ScottMcC on March 16, 2007 at 2:46 PM

In that last picture, I wonder if Plame was tortured by the Democrats, you can clearly see the black eye. How can we take her testimony serious, now?

Tim Burton on March 16, 2007 at 3:14 PM

“I ain’t got time to bleed.”

Bad Candy on March 16, 2007 at 4:58 PM

It’s really quite appropriate that the transgendered Code Pinkster showed up at the hearings.

If I were writing a book about the Wilson-Plame kerfuffle, I might call it The Crying Game

Buy Danish on March 16, 2007 at 10:58 PM

Maybe manly men are more likely to have partners who pray for their health.

Buck Turgidson on March 17, 2007 at 12:30 AM

My upbringing and the Marines taught me to be brought back on my shield.

My theory is the beta male exists because shame no is no longer taught.

AZ_Redneck on March 17, 2007 at 1:28 AM

“I ain’t got time to bleed.”

Bad Candy on March 16, 2007 at 4:58 PM

Maybe you got time to duck.

Maxx on March 17, 2007 at 1:52 PM

Sure. If you want a second rate life.

One Angry Christian on March 18, 2007 at 2:32 PM