LA Times: Young Obama went to mosque, “bowed to Allah”

posted at 12:19 pm on March 15, 2007 by Allahpundit

Remember, his campaign previously said he’d never ever evuh been a Muslim.

Now it seems their position has evolved.

Eh. I think this is a non-story, but not everyone agrees so here you go. Emphasis mine:

“To be clear, Senator Obama has never been a Muslim, was not raised a Muslim, and is a committed Christian who attends the United Church of Christ in Chicago,” Gibbs’ Jan. 24 statement said. In a statement to The Times on Wednesday, the campaign offered slightly different wording, saying: “Obama has never been a practicing Muslim.” The statement added that as a child, Obama had spent time in the neighborhood’s Islamic center.

As it turns out, he did a little more than that.

The childhood friends say Obama sometimes went to Friday prayers at the local mosque. “We prayed but not really seriously, just following actions done by older people in the mosque. But as kids, we loved to meet our friends and went to the mosque together and played,” said Zulfin Adi, who describes himself as among Obama’s closest childhood friends…

“His mother often went to the church, but Barry was Muslim. He went to the mosque,” Adi said. “I remember him wearing a sarong.”

His sister insists the family went to mosque only “for big communal events.” I wonder — what do Barry’s schoolteachers think?

“At that time, Barry was also praying in a Catholic way, but Barry was Muslim,” Dharmawan said in Obama’s old [third- and fourth-grade] classroom, where she still teaches 39 years later. “He was registered as a Muslim because his father, Lolo Soetoro, was Muslim.”…

Bugs have eaten Obama’s file in the [middle] school’s archive, said Vice Principal Hardi Priyono. But two of his teachers, former Vice Principal Tine Hahiyari and third-grade teacher Effendi, said they remember clearly that at this school too, he was registered as a Muslim, which determined what class he attended during weekly religion lessons.

So there you have it. For at least a few years of his life, he identified as Muslim. As did Abdul Rahman. (And of course Salman Rushdie, Ayaan Hirsi Ali, and Walid Shoebat.)

Exit question: Which would be more damning in the eyes of American voters, a Muslim upbringing or an atheist upbringing?

Update: I agree with JPod. But does this mean Obama has to go to rehab?

Comments

Bugs have eaten Obama’s file in the [middle] school’s archive…

And the dog ate every bit of his homework from his religious lessons.

eeyore on March 15, 2007 at 12:28 PM

or an atheist upbringing?

Still reeling from this one, are we? LOL

lorien1973 on March 15, 2007 at 12:33 PM

The Messiah is a transvestite, too? As if his poll numbers weren’t through the roof already.

ReubenJCogburn on March 15, 2007 at 12:34 PM

The sarong’s for the gay vote!

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on March 15, 2007 at 12:43 PM

I still remember the time Barry fed the whole lunchroom with only five slices of bread and two Ho-Hos.

saint kansas on March 15, 2007 at 12:52 PM

I think we’re ignoring the real story here:

Bugs have eaten Obama’s file…

Why does that line crack me up so much?

flipflop on March 15, 2007 at 1:03 PM

Oh for the love of God, let it go.

(I do like the bugs eating the file detail though. Very fraught with a certain insidious evil. Damian, it’s all for you Damian….)

honora on March 15, 2007 at 1:05 PM

Atheist. Do you really have to ask?

Enrique on March 15, 2007 at 1:06 PM

Its a “non-story” if the person leading the United States of America has close ties to Islam?

You know, you can me so “open minded” that your brain falls out…

DwnSouthJukin on March 15, 2007 at 1:15 PM

By this logic I would have close ties to writing in cursive and long division. God knows I couldn’t do either one of those things to save my life so I’m okay with Obama attending a Mosque in 3rd grade.

JaHerer22 on March 15, 2007 at 1:21 PM

If one picture of little Obama in a sarong leaks out, he’s toast.

Think Democrats in tanks, etc.

Someone will pay lots of $$$ for that pic. Maybe Hillary already has it:)

faraway on March 15, 2007 at 1:29 PM

No, the question is will the Moslem world think that at one point he was Moslem, and has recanted, thus making him an apostate.

Which would mean, if elected, that ANY Moslem would be martyred for killing the President of the US…

Not really somewhere we should go… it would further cement us as the great SATAN to the fundamentalist Moslem community.

Just as, right now, having a Jewish President would, IMO, create problems we really don’t need.

Romeo13 on March 15, 2007 at 1:30 PM

Allah Pundit,

Please, do us a favor and call Obama by his real name “Hussein Obama” from now on rather than Barak or Obama.

Thanks.

Kokonut on March 15, 2007 at 1:43 PM

Romeo13, anything we do is going to outrage Muslims.
To quote the inimitable FrnakJ

BTW, I know the phrase “Muslims are offended” isn’t as oft used as “Dog bites man” as an example of a non-story, but I was just noticing how you can add that phrase to the end of any news headline and it won’t look out of place. E.g.:

* Smith’s lover testifies on burial plans; Muslims are offended

* ‘Miracle baby’ homecoming delayed; Muslims are offended

* Cisco says 77 of its routers open to ‘drive-by pharming’; Muslims are offended

Veeshir on March 15, 2007 at 1:48 PM

I went to 13 years of Catholic school. K-12. After 2 years of therapy, and 3 years of hard drinking, I’m fine now. But I still get the shakes when i see a yardstick or a Nun.

Mazztek on March 15, 2007 at 1:48 PM

What on earth are you talking about?

He’s an apostate and thus there’s a de facto fatwa out on him so it could be a concern.

aengus on March 15, 2007 at 1:59 PM

The question is does this have any bearing on who he is today? I mean we’re talking fourth grade and middle school. I barely remember anything I learned or did in middle school. I remember my art teacher, only because he looked and talked like Peter Falk. I remember making a pass at this girl in the hallway and she slugged me. That pretty much sums up all I remember from middle school.

vcferlita on March 15, 2007 at 2:00 PM

vcferlita on March 15, 2007 at 2:00 PM

sorry, but I have to disagree with you on this.

The culture and environment during the formative years is vitaly important to who you are. You may overcome it in public, but when the chips are down, and you revert to your true self, not the one we potray to the public, this upbringing becomes critical.

The fact that he was raised Moslem, and is now part of a very Race centric African Church should be raising Red Flags all over.

Romeo13 on March 15, 2007 at 2:14 PM

So, as a Muslim child in Indonesia, Obama exhorted but he didn’t inhale.

Dusty on March 15, 2007 at 2:16 PM

Yup,Romeo,but he’s a Dem, they ignore facts and red-flags, just look at Clenis

bbz123 on March 15, 2007 at 2:27 PM

Enough, I’ve had enough

Look, anyone can be President, can we just hate the guy for his views and not

His White “Kansas” Mommy

His Name

His Color

His Religon when he was eight

Look, he’s got issues and opinions and attacking everthing but that gives him room to never run on his stances on the issues

EricPWJohnson on March 15, 2007 at 2:42 PM

Ugh, can we please give up this Barack “the Spooky Muslim” Hussein Obama nonsense. Isn’t the fact that he’s a socialist lib enough reason to dislike him. Some of you guys probably think he talks like the terrorists in Team America when no ones listening.

Bad Candy on March 15, 2007 at 2:45 PM

Allah, you should have saved this post for the inevitable “Quote of the Day” later:

“We prayed but not really seriously”

Or of course Obama’s comment about Edwards being “kind of cute.”

It’s a toss up.

RightWinged on March 15, 2007 at 2:46 PM

Would it be so bad if Barack Hussein Obama got the Dem nom? Sometimes I think that is the only way a Republican will win the presidency…

CCRWM on March 15, 2007 at 2:47 PM

Hmm. We’ll see if all my comments go up… I was having some technical issues. Sorry if I posted a one man echo chamber.

Bad Candy on March 15, 2007 at 2:56 PM

Are some of you really so afraid of being labeled politically incorrect that you will ignore how important formative years are on people or how having Islamic family members might affect your views on Islam?

Get a spine already & stop trying to buy the world a coke.

DwnSouthJukin on March 15, 2007 at 2:58 PM

Whose Barry? And have you hugged an Atheist today?

Drtuddle on March 15, 2007 at 3:01 PM

What’s the difference?

right2bright on March 15, 2007 at 3:12 PM

How could we have been sarong about him?

mikeyboss on March 15, 2007 at 3:13 PM

Enough, I’ve had enough

Look, anyone can be President, can we just hate the guy for his views and not

His White “Kansas” Mommy

His Name

His Color

His Religon when he was eight

EricPWJohnson on March 15, 2007 at 2:42 PM

No, we can’t, because all these things create WHO HE IS!!

He’s running as Black… if he? His Mom wasn’t… HE IS THE ONE WHO IS RUNNING ON THAT PLATFORM! In Selma he LIED about how the black movement brought his parents together!!! When he was already 4 years old at the time! He is the one making it an issue.

His religion IS an issue, whether its at 8, and he lies about it, or now, when he is the member of what I consider a RACIST CHURCH!

Because all of these come right back to WHO HE IS, not who he potrays himself to be.

grrrrrr….

/rant off

Romeo13 on March 15, 2007 at 3:14 PM

Mikeyboss

In medieval time puns like that could get you thrashed

EricPWJohnson on March 15, 2007 at 3:15 PM

What? He just went from one racist religion to one racist church…it’s an improvement.

Tim Burton on March 15, 2007 at 3:19 PM

Silky Pony “is kind of cute”. Somehow, Barak and Ann at rehab, together, sounds interesting…

It looks like the atheists have a 10% advantage over the homosexuals on the “no, will not vote for” column.

If Fred Thompson is not Catholic or hasen’t been married 3 times, does he fit any of the Gallup questionnaire? If not, what are his chances?

P.S. I don’t know his religious or marital background.

Entelechy on March 15, 2007 at 3:29 PM

Scattered thoughts again…forgot to state that I don’t find Bill Clinton cute. Never knew what women saw/see in him.

Silky Pony is Milan runway cute – artificial pretty, like Hollywood fake people are…His wife is way more real than him. It’s his personality though which just sucks – male primadonna. Actually Obama is a primadonna too – he’s just got the media fooled with faux charm because there’s nothing other there.

Entelechy on March 15, 2007 at 3:34 PM

Get a spine already & stop trying to buy the world a coke.
DwnSouthJukin on March 15, 2007 at 2:58 PM

Huh?? Dude, he’s a lib. A socialist and completely spineless in the face of global jihad, he wouldn’t be any more damaging than any other lib even if he was a muslim, so why harp on the muslim thing? His links to Islam are tenuous at best as far as we know. I’m more worried about his voting record than this speculative crap about him and Islam.

Bad Candy on March 15, 2007 at 3:48 PM

Bad Candy on March 15, 2007 at 3:48 PM

If I may: the answer to that is: we have entered an odd period where it’s not enough that people whose politics are at odds with mine are dead wrong, I have to paint them as evil.

It’s beyond my understanding, but there it is.

honora on March 15, 2007 at 4:01 PM

Yeeah. Its not a particularly good thing. I will say the our side isn’t as bad yours though, honora. Not that we’re pure as the wind driven snow…well maybe I am, but not the rest of you clowns.

Bad Candy on March 15, 2007 at 4:12 PM

Evolution….AND practicing the religion of Peace…..TWO reasons for Christians to hate him. /////sarcasm.

seejanemom on March 15, 2007 at 4:58 PM

Following is a good read:

It is not the religion or the color of any candidate – it is the total compilation of the person’s life experiences that have formed them. No one threw Bush out with the trash because of his rather long period of alcohol abuse — his ability to turn himself in a completely different direction endeared him to many who believe in absolution and self control.
You won’t find any “Manchurian candidate” kind of silliness in the article but a well documented analysis of the individual Barack Obama is.

Bradky on March 15, 2007 at 5:29 PM

It’s beyond my understanding, but there it is.

honora on March 15, 2007 at 4:01 PM

Seriously, if you dont understand the conversation, at least stop intentionally trying to dumb it down.

I explained my reasoning above very clearly. If you disagree, please point out why but spare me the Miss America speech.

DwnSouthJukin on March 15, 2007 at 6:02 PM

Good heavens people…let’s let this go. I don’t care where this guy went to school, I really don’t. Bringing this stuff up time and again only distracts everyone from the real question of his credentials for the office.

We know that he bathes(Thanks Senator Biden)…so at least he’s not French.

Pilgrim on March 15, 2007 at 7:06 PM

So, uh, in the interest of full disclosure:

I have a sarong.

And they’re not gay.

But they are comfortable, in a breezy, freeing sort of un-gay way.

The whole was he/wasn’t he a Muslim is a non-issue, unless of course it isn’t. Becoming a Muslim is as simple as stating the “There is no God but Allah and Mohammed is his Prophet” bit. Boom, you’re there. So he certainly was a Muslim [having undoubtedly said this over and over in school] at least in their eyes.

If he jumped ship, he really ought to explain in detail when and why. Those early childhood influences, not to mention family influences, do count.

TexasDan on March 15, 2007 at 7:34 PM

Bad Candy on March 15, 2007 at 3:48 PM

I’m not happy with his record or either of his so-called “religions.” I cannot consider his church Christian in any way. We have enough problems with these black supremacists, why would we welcome someone who may be both a black supremacist and/or an Islamic supremacist?

We already have Macon Mayor Jack Ellis, who has converted to Islam and is working to legally change his name to Hakim Mansour Ellis.

Is this what the Islamic leadership in this country is doing? Getting themselves elected and then converting? (With the exception, of course, of Keith Ellison who represents Dearbornstan). Would Obama do this? I have no idea, but it’s something to think about, although I have a sense that he is more of a One Worlder Spiritualist of the Oprah variety.

Connie on March 15, 2007 at 10:24 PM

If people need direction to how to see through this Obama guy, they seriously need to reevaluate their thinking process.

Highrise on March 16, 2007 at 4:23 AM

It’s beyond my understanding, but there it is.

honora on March 15, 2007 at 4:01 PM

DwnSouthJukin on March 15, 2007 at 6:02 PM

I’m sorry–let me attempt to stretch my meager mind to your intellectual level. It appears you are saying that anyone who has had a lot of exposure to the Muslim religion/culture is necessarily not qualified to be president.

That to me bespeaks an attitude towards Muslims that is the dictionary definition of bigotry. And yes, I equate bigotry to hatred. As I say above, it’s not enough that your opponent is wrong, he’s evil: you are not saying you disagree with Obama and think he is wrong, you are saying there is something inherent in him that makes him evil.

Toodles,

Miss Pennsylvania

honora on March 16, 2007 at 10:06 AM

Actually, bigotry is an intolerance of any religion or belief that is not one’s own. It is not an intolerance of people, but of an idealogy.

Connie on March 16, 2007 at 11:58 AM