Video: Maher calls Dems “wussies” for pulling out of Fox debate

posted at 9:41 am on March 13, 2007 by Allahpundit

Well, not exactly. But that’s as close as I’m allowed to get to an accurate quote.

This is a critique from the left, as Maher’s critiques of Democrats always are. He’s the fightin’est nutroot in Nutrootsville, which in this case leads him to mistake collective action for cowardice. The Kossacks aren’t afraid of Fox; they want to put it out of business, at least as far as polite leftist society is concerned. The Democratic candidates aren’t afraid of Fox either — but they are afraid of the Kossacks. There’s the cowardice angle Maher’s looking for, one which he won’t touch lest it put him on the opposite side from “my good friend, my great friend, Arianna Huffington.”

Likewise, Maher being Maher, the criticism of Democrats is only incidental to a broader criticism of Republicans. We pick up with him discussing l’affaire Coulter and her reception at CPAC.

Comments

I completely understand your animosity toward Maher but his point at the end is spot on.

SouthernDem on March 13, 2007 at 9:54 AM

What evidence does Maher have that John Edwards “reads whole books” or “cares about poor people?” No, seriously?

I have photos to prove that he cares an awful lot about the environment…or at least the part surrounding him personally. All those trees practically asked to be cut down for the cause.

saint kansas on March 13, 2007 at 10:10 AM

I’m beginning to think that the major majority of Dems and Republicans are all wussies. They don’t truly believe in anything besides being in office.

doginblack on March 13, 2007 at 10:13 AM

I find it offensive that this guy is actually on a news show as if his opinion actually mattered. Who the F cares what Billy boy’s has to say about ANYTHING?
He’s a stand-up comedian fer cryin’ out loud.

bbz123 on March 13, 2007 at 10:16 AM

I strongly doubt that Edwards has read a whole book in the last decade, unless that book was “The Communist Manifesto”.

JayHaw Phrenzie on March 13, 2007 at 10:18 AM

Kinda disturbing that he spoke more sense in that snippet than what Dems are saying in their speeches lately..

Reaps on March 13, 2007 at 10:19 AM

Larry will be getting lots of hand-written strong language warning letters from his octagenarian audience.

Valiant on March 13, 2007 at 10:21 AM

It is good to know that , according to Bill Maher, Dhimmicrats consider the Republican party to be a much larger threat to their existence than “the terrorists”, as he says at the end. Dhimmicrats can stand up to neither of those entities without wetting their panties and crying for their mamas.

So I guess this means the Republican party is a force for good in this world, however wimpy they are in its defense. Press on, then. To Victory.

Subsunk

Subsunk on March 13, 2007 at 10:23 AM

I can’t believe he has lowered the discourse like this. The “P” word just makes it harder for the rest of us to get our message out.

/serious minds

sunny on March 13, 2007 at 10:23 AM

SouthernDem on March 13, 2007 at 9:54 AM

Or it would be if he had identified the correct source of the Dem’s fright. And it’s true. If the Dems can’t stand up to the nutroots, how can we expect them to stand up to terrorists?

But I agree with his point about Coulter. Her joke was about calling him a wuss, not a homosexual.

Esthier on March 13, 2007 at 10:28 AM

Wow, that actually felt good to hear.

He is 100% right on the money though. I would love to see a televised national debate with Bill Maher’s question.

Sometime in the future, I can hear it now……

Commentator: Senator Edwards, why did all of the Dems drop out of the Fox News debate. If you can’t handle Fox News, how can you handle the terrorists?

Edwards: Well…Let me just this national audience that the question that you just asked is WHY we didn’t do it

Commentator: Senator Edwards, that question was posed by Bill Maher.

He shoots!!! Scores!

HarryStar on March 13, 2007 at 10:37 AM

He’s a stand-up comedian fer cryin’ out loud.

bbz123 on March 13, 2007 at 10:16 AM

Larry King Live is not a news show, it’s primarily a liberal lovefest. My disgust for Larry and Maher is on par with you, but I avoid watching them by punching a button on my remote control.

Suppress your anger, change the channel. It’s therapeutic.

fogw on March 13, 2007 at 10:45 AM

I’m sorry. No I’m not! If we can see over and over again in the media how AC called TheBreckGril a “faggot” why can’t it be posted that Maher called the Dems “pussies”?

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on March 13, 2007 at 10:49 AM

So, is it more credible coming from a Leftie Liberal to confirm that Ann used the “faggot-word” to denote “loser/wimp?” Just as she said, just as most people interpreted it. Glad to know that it takes four conservatives to match the word of just one Liberal Left.
King didn’t look too happy. Maher spilled a lot of beans, when all King wanted was the usual pro-Left puff interview.

naliaka on March 13, 2007 at 11:10 AM

At the end, Maher separated terrorists from Republicans…hmmm…I thought that crowd equated the two.

Also, has Maher ever been on Rush’s show? I don’t listen to Rush, so I’m not sure if that would work for Rush’s format. However, sitting across the desk from Larry talking tough about how Dems need to stand up to Repubs isn’t exactly gutsy. If Maher took his own advice and sat across the desk from Rush, I’d be impressed.

windbag on March 13, 2007 at 11:41 AM

I too would love to see a televised national debate with Bill Maher’s question:

Moderator: “Senator Edwards, are you a pussy?”

Frankly, as a voter, I’d like to know.

saint kansas on March 13, 2007 at 11:44 AM

Well, St. KS, the correct reply would be

Man ist was man ißt.

The Monster on March 13, 2007 at 12:03 PM

SouthernDem on March 13, 2007 at 9:54 AM

My same thoughts exactly. Maher is a POS, but like a stopped clock that’s right 2x per day, his point at the end regarding the dems is as you say – spot on.

thirteen28 on March 13, 2007 at 12:21 PM

For one hour a day, CNN stands for Cadaver with Nappy-Nuggets.

Jim Treacher on March 13, 2007 at 12:31 PM

“Dems are wussies.”

Gee, ya think so? Thanks for the update, Capt. Obvious. Tell us something we *don’t* know.

But the real reason Dems are wussies is that they wanna surrender Iraq to al-qaeda. Just like they surrendered Somalia to a tribal warlord.

Tony737 on March 13, 2007 at 12:34 PM

According to nndb.com, Maher and Coulter were once a romantic item.

mikeyboss on March 13, 2007 at 12:52 PM

Maher is a perfect example of a blind squirrel finding a nut once in a while.

csdeven on March 13, 2007 at 12:58 PM

Well Maher’s dead on. It’s too bad he can’t be that honest with his personal critiques of his beloved John Edwards. At least he called them out though on their “pussyiness”(can I say that here? I feel dirty;) and how it doesn’t just have implications for TV debates.

Roark on March 13, 2007 at 1:55 PM

I predict, before this year is out, Maher will play golf with limbaugh, praise cheney, embrace coulter and become a staunch conservative republican …..

Hey.

Isn’t ‘wussies’ lib hate speech for the ‘eff-aggot’??

I’m outraged.

locomotivebreath1901 on March 13, 2007 at 2:35 PM

Come primary time, Hillary will be licking those p*ssies that fled the debate in fear.

roninacreage on March 13, 2007 at 4:05 PM

roninacreage on March 13, 2007 at 4:05 PM

Hahahaha! So funny on like three…or like 4 levels?! Nice one, plus it’s true.

Roark on March 13, 2007 at 4:38 PM

I’m sorry, I didn’t catch the whole thing, I walked out in the middle of it.

- The Cat

MirCat on March 13, 2007 at 5:28 PM

Nothing Billy says will ever negate the fact that he was in D.C. Cab.

Actually, I got a kick out of that movie, but it wasn’t exactly a training ground for political pundits.

jaleach on March 13, 2007 at 8:58 PM

“If you can’t stand up to Chris Wallace, can you stand up to the terrorists, or the Republican Party?”

Heh, can’t disagree with Bill Maher, here. In the past I used to watch him during business trips, late at night. I found his dry wit and libertarianism entertaining and sobering. He’s lost it lately or caters to a lunatic audience. But he is a talented guy and in his own way has courage.

Entelechy on March 14, 2007 at 12:46 AM

This from a guy that stacks his panel with 3 libs (plus him) and one conservative.

right2bright on March 14, 2007 at 9:23 AM