Video: Andy Rooney calls troops “losers”

posted at 4:45 pm on March 12, 2007 by Ian

rooney-1.JPG

In his commentary on last night’s “60 Minutes,” Andy “Negro is a perfectly good word” Rooney said that today’s military is like the military during World War II, which was made of “losers” who did not complete high school.

I hated everything about Army life. I hated the Field Artillery regiment I was assigned to. Most of the guys in it were high school dropouts and the Army wasn’t using the term “moral waiver,” yet but a lot of them would have needed it.

They had joined before the draft so they had already been promoted to being corporals or sergeants and they were in charge of the rest of us.

In 1942 we were at war with Germany and it wasn’t long before drafted college students and high school graduates dominated our military. It changed the United States Army for the better and in two years made it the best fighting force there has ever been. The Army and Navy were no longer made up of losers.

He was comparing the “reduced standards” during World War II to those accepted in today’s military, standards that are still above every other service, and in a military that leads the world in management, theory, tactics, training and capability. As for Rooney, he squeaked his way out of combat service during World War II. So he doesn’t deserve and won’t get an Absolute Moral Authority card. He’s just a cranky old coot.

Comments

The “Greatest Generation”, minus one.

SWLiP on March 12, 2007 at 4:52 PM

Can we question his patriotism now?

Is there any need to question it at this point?

He’s just a cranky old coot.

You are far, far too kind.

thirteen28 on March 12, 2007 at 4:54 PM

Dan Rather’s father

Wade on March 12, 2007 at 4:55 PM

What this Mr. Rooney doesn’t realize is that many of those “losers” took bullets and shrapnel, were held in POW camps, froze to death, and were maimed and killed in France, Germany, Belgium, etc. so that he could park his dumb (backside) in his comfy chair and spew his left-wing bile.

No, Andy, YOU are the loser. You lost out on being considered a hero to people who know what that word really means.

BigOrangeAxe on March 12, 2007 at 4:59 PM

He has no clue. The Army only accepts high school grads and some GED. Most people in the Army take advantage of the opportunity to get a college degree or post grad degrees. The training schools are the best in the world. Lots of good young people from good families. My two sons are both top in their classes and both already talked to recruiters. They want to serve their country and my wife and I could not be prouder.

I guess since he’s Eighty-something and losing his mind people put up with this?

Hening on March 12, 2007 at 5:01 PM

Those “losers” protect Mr. Rooney to say what he wants, whenever he feels like it, even if it makes him sound like an old fool.

Entelechy on March 12, 2007 at 5:01 PM

The words I want to say to describe this “man” wouldn’t make it past the simplest profanity filter.

Next week he’s going to say that anyone who liked “300” is a danger to America because they believe that might makes right and that there are times when you have to fight and die for what you believe in.

Mortis on March 12, 2007 at 5:03 PM

From what he said, it sounds like he went in BEFORE they started drafting

college students and high school graduates

that

It changed the United States Army for the better

. Does that make him a …..?

Catseye on March 12, 2007 at 5:03 PM

I am very happy that all the Bush Derangement Syndrome victims feel more free to say what they really mean.

The backlash will begin soon.

faraway on March 12, 2007 at 5:05 PM

Well, he’s at least partly right on the moral waiver point. I think lowering the standards will certainly open the door wider for thugs and drop outs. When I served in the 90’s I knew a number of people within my last unit who had simply lied to join (one guy was an active member of the KKK, several were high school drop outs, and so on). This was during a time of “higher standards.” Lowering standards will only increase the likelihood of people like this (or worse) joining.

However, I think the real bone of contention is that Rooney thinks a draft would be better than slightly lower standards for volunteers. He wisely stops short of endorsing the former, but I think it’s clear where his heart is.

Talbott on March 12, 2007 at 5:09 PM

Nice of him to call, what, almost half the country at the time, losers?

Dusty on March 12, 2007 at 5:09 PM

Just to play devil’s advocate, what I gleaned from Andy’s comment was that the Army and Navy that existed pre-1942, the guys in service prior to the educated draftees showed up, were the losers. Not the current troops.

Then again, I’ve been doing wild turkey shots since lunch.

yo on March 12, 2007 at 5:09 PM

Does that make him a …..?

Catseye on March 12, 2007 at 5:03 PM

…bitter old man who is watching his relevance fade (if he ever had any) as his time has has passed him by and left him by the side of the road as a dotty and nasty gasbag? Why as a matter of fact it does.

Mallard T. Drake on March 12, 2007 at 5:11 PM

“Negro is a perfectly good word…if you want to get your ass kicked”

What Andy Rooney Sees every time he closes his eyes:

amish on March 12, 2007 at 5:12 PM

I wonder what the “bastards of Bataan” would think of Rooney’s attitude towards them? As always, there were a lot of good men in the military in 1941, for whatever reason — adventure, travel, get out of town — but to call them ‘losers’ is obscene, and Rooney should be ashamed (but he will not be).

And, oh yes, thank God those ‘losers’ were there — they formed the cadre of what the United States needed to build from to win the war.

jimpv on March 12, 2007 at 5:15 PM

So, Andy Rooney was a high school dropout loser, too? Ah, he was drafted as an educated guy and resented the guys who had earned more rank than he, and he had to listen to them … or else. Ouch. Rather … waaah.

This is more proof that an All Volunteer Army is the smart way to go. Rooney is how old and STILL resents being drafted? And it was one of those mighty, classic, JUST wars, to boot and Rooney is whinging about being part of the army that brought Hitler and the Axis of Evil’s massive, fascist jack-booted armies to their knees, and then crushed them. Keep giving valuable airtime to losers like this old, brittle fossil and enjoy the continued ride to the ratings basement, CBS!

naliaka on March 12, 2007 at 5:16 PM

Profound is as profound does. (Profound=moron in the new PC world).

sharinlite on March 12, 2007 at 5:16 PM

I wonder how he feels about Audie Murphy.

EnochCain on March 12, 2007 at 5:17 PM

Then again, I’ve been doing wild turkey shots since lunch.

yo on March 12, 2007 at 5:09 PM

I believe he is equating how those “losers” got in the military in WWII to the “moral waivers” today that let “losers” into the military.

Ian on March 12, 2007 at 5:24 PM

“Get off my lawn!!”

-Andy Rooney

Hoodlumman on March 12, 2007 at 5:27 PM

Nice of him to call, what, almost half the country at the time, losers?

Dusty on March 12, 2007 at 5:09 PM

Were there any reports of a seismic tremor located dead center in Arlington Cemetery, as a result of simultaneous turning over in the grave.

Not a loser amongst them. God Bless them all.

Rooney is Murtha’s detached siamese twin.

fogw on March 12, 2007 at 5:29 PM

This guy has got to go. He is no longer in touch with reality.

Unrelated but not sure if anyone caught this on drudge yet:
“NY TIMES PLANS TUESDAY HIT ON GORE, NEWSROOM SOURCES TELL DRUDGE: ‘Scientists argue that Gore’s warnings are full of exaggerated claims and startling errors’… Developing…”

Zetterson on March 12, 2007 at 5:36 PM

“today’s military is like the military during World War II, which was made of “losers” who did not complete high school.”

Last time I looked the military wouldn’t take anyone without a high school education.

crosspatch on March 12, 2007 at 5:38 PM

Rooney’s brain is suffering the Greatest Degeneration.

Jim Treacher on March 12, 2007 at 5:43 PM

I agree that he’s equating, I’m not sure I’d go as far as to cut both ends off that argument, slap ’em together and declare that Rooney’s calling the current guys losers, directly.

What he is doing, if you’ll allow me to pick a nit, here, may actually be worse:

Are these the people we want representing us? As American soldiers, they’re going to give the people they meet around the world the impression that they are what all Americans are like and if they have been taken from the bottom of the barrel, they are not what we’re all like.

They’re not “losers,” they may simply be “bottom of the barrel” people.

And that certainly isn’t a nice thing to say.

An interesting tid-bit Andy may have overlooked, is that these “moral waivers” may only be new in the sense of terminology. For as long as I can remember (and even going back into WWII), military service (usually for the Army), has been used as a replacement for jail time for certain offenses (murder/rape/violent crime excluded, of course).

Rooney makes it sound as though the recruiters have this brand new tool to troll the bottom of American barrel for recruits.

Another thing he’s overlooked is the fact that most of those recv’ing these “moral waivers” end up 13B (infantry). It’s not like the military is giving positions of authority to petty criminals.

On a smaller note, is sending non-violent criminals into the military such a bad thing? I went through Fort Dix with a couple of these guys and 8 weeks of getting your ass sweated during grass drills actually snapped these guys into shape.

So .. not only is Andy being rude, judgmental and more than a bit of an elitist, he’s also showing that his eyebrows may be clouding his vision for history, as well as the common decency to see that military service could be a way to make up for what could very well amount to youthful indiscretion.

He’s not calling them “losers,” he’s calling them morally lacking and unsavable barrel scum.

yo on March 12, 2007 at 5:46 PM

After Rooney was drafted he wrote for Stars and Stripes.
In the Army Andy had to do what bad spellers told him to do.
He still hates them.

Stephen M on March 12, 2007 at 5:54 PM

Look at that picture… Is that ball of paste still alive?

Mazztek on March 12, 2007 at 5:57 PM

As a former red-leg (artillery soldier) I’m offended. Yes, there is the occasional “loser” in the military, but to lump them altogether as losers is stupid and irresponsible.

Andy who?

Mojave Mark on March 12, 2007 at 5:58 PM

Rooney has an ugly face.

JackM on March 12, 2007 at 6:03 PM

My 7th grader has a major case of hormones and his grades slipped last term.
I reminded him that he needed good grades-to get into OCS someday.
Btw-My husband-former USMC-and received his BA on the GI Bill. and my brother-in-law was enlisted Navy. The Navy sent him to college…and he left the USN in 1992 as a Leutenant.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 12, 2007 at 6:06 PM

11B is Infantry.

13B is Cannon Crewmember.

Lonevoice on March 12, 2007 at 6:08 PM

Lonevoice on March 12, 2007 at 6:08 PM

Damn it …

Thanks for the fact check.

yo on March 12, 2007 at 6:13 PM

Except that they didn’t draft high school OR college students. But whatevs.

E. M. on March 12, 2007 at 6:14 PM

… and if you combine 11B and 13B you get 11C, humorously known as “Mortar baseplate carrier.”

jeffshultz on March 12, 2007 at 6:21 PM

Senility is a sad think just look at rather, Teddy Kennedy and Jimmy Carter.

They really need medical treatment.

William Amos on March 12, 2007 at 6:36 PM

Andy Rooney needs to trim his eyebrows. They’ve grown into his brain…. or what’s left of it.

That crusty old curmudgeon would find something to complain about even if he were in Heaven.

If ever there was a loser…….

Parley on March 12, 2007 at 6:51 PM

Rooney also seems to imply that the armed forces were improved when the college boys were forced to join up.

I went to college and I can tell you this much – I would take a farm boy that dropped out in 7th grade to help on the family farm, that has worked every day for as long as he can remember, that was raised to believe in right and wrong (and taught the difference) and that loves their country any day over the boys I met in college (on average).

Most people go to liberal arts schools. A liberal arts education (at best) means that you are well versed in many topics and have a detailed education in 1-2 topics.

It doesn’t mean you know how to be a soldier and it sure as heck doesn’t mean that you know how to sacrifice your own life manning a gun to provide suppressing fire while the rest of ‘your boys’ escape.

People need to stop pretending that a college degree means anything more than what it means (especially in this day and age of grade inflation and ridiculous women/black/gay/etc studies degrees).

JadeNYU on March 12, 2007 at 6:57 PM

Just sounds to me like he’s speaking out in favor of a draft, and I don’t see where he attempts to equate the military 65 years ago to the military today.

Nonfactor on March 12, 2007 at 7:10 PM

Not even necessarily in favor of a draft. He’s just saying what made the Army better–the draft. Sounds like another personal history lesson that Rooney gives.

Nonfactor on March 12, 2007 at 7:11 PM

Guys…PLEASE…when you use the “quote” tags, could you at least quote the text you’re replying to instead of the name of the poster and what time they posted it?

fusionaddict on March 12, 2007 at 7:26 PM

Stuff like this makes me appreciate Stalin who said: Only the grave straightens the hunched back. Has anybody a better Rx for such as Rooney?

dhimwit on March 12, 2007 at 8:05 PM

Rooney briefly served as an artilleryman during World War II before being reassigned to the military newspaper Stars and Stripes; as an Army combat journalist he covered the air war over Germany, the D-Day invasion of Normandy, and the Allied drive into Germany.

I wonder if they had such a thing as the green zone back then for Rooney?

How he must have scrambled to get his sorry ass out of the artillery…

The Machine on March 12, 2007 at 8:05 PM

jeffshultz on March 12, 2007 at 6:21 PM

I was an 11C…..

Don’t make me hurt you…

*hugs*

Mortis on March 12, 2007 at 9:13 PM

The US military of WWII and the US military of today are vastly different. Back then, a judge might give a thief a choice of jail or enlisting. Not now.

Andy Rooney himself is unlikely to have gotten into the military today, considering that he was a member of the Communist Party, as he confesses in his autobiography, “My War.” He still looks like an old rumpled Marxist.

Tantor on March 12, 2007 at 9:59 PM

When they cut to the close up of Mr. Rooney, I could have sworn his nose turned into a penis.

All we need now is a naked Helen Thomas “riding that poney” and we have our next Academy Award!

PinkyBigglesworth on March 12, 2007 at 10:06 PM

Andy Rooney is a big ol’ ass. Not much else. He stumbles into funny every now and again, though.

spmat on March 12, 2007 at 10:48 PM

I took a hard shot at Andy here in the comments months ago in another thread. After he appeared in an episode of Dogfights (B-17) on the history channel I felt guilty. HA.

Buck Turgidson on March 12, 2007 at 11:03 PM

Look at that picture… Is that ball of paste still alive?

my thought, too, Mazzlek. I thought he was Dead For Years

I know the word that came into most of your minds as you watched that pathetic old……….

asshole

Janos Hunyadi on March 13, 2007 at 1:58 AM

It always amuses me when people like Rooney go out of their way to insult the military. I mean – think about it. They are deliberately antagonizing people who carry rifles, drive tanks, fire missiles and torpedoes and fly fighter jets. If the military is as they see it, aren’t they worried that someone may (over)react badly?

Seems a bit… I don’t know… stupid? But then, intelligence has never been high on their short list of attributes.

For the record, I don’t for a minute believe that any member of the military is going to go after Rooney, etc., with murderous intent.

Rusty Bill on March 13, 2007 at 2:16 AM

It’s amazing how Rooney thinks about his fellow soldiers, even after 65 years. Does he fondly remember them, men who like him took the oath, wore the uniform, and fought for our country’s survival, many of whom gave life and limb in that struggle? Nope. To him they’re “losers”–at least until the draft brought in more highly educated people that he didn’t look down his nose at. Well, Andy, you were and still are an elitist bastard, and I bet you were never half as good a soldier as any of those “losers” you so obviously still resent.

As if going from a military that had been neglected and underfunded for two decades of relative peace–the latter of which happened to be during the Great Depression–to a wartime footing didn’t have anything to do with the military getting better. But at least back then nearly everyone who was drafted loved their country and understood that we were in a fight for our survival. A draft now would be nothing short of a disaster. Imagine the nightmare of trying to turn America-hating nitwits like the Kos Kidz into soldiers who’d not only fight, but for our side. Which is why no one who sincerely wants to make the military better ever suggests reinstating the draft. (Unless, of course, they have no f—ing clue what they’re talking about.)

ReubenJCogburn on March 13, 2007 at 2:40 AM

The men that Andy Asshole is referring to were guys who joined in 1940-41, when you could do a year on active duty in a ‘federalized’ National Guard unit like the 44th Infanty Division AKA New Jersey National Guard. These guys were back in civilian life when WWII happened, and yes, they can back in as corporals and sergeants, and were placed in charge of new recruits.

But I’ve never seen a study showing that the pre-Pearl Harbor enlistees were any less educated than those who joined or were drafter after the War started. So he’s either got a bad memory, or he’s lying again

Janos Hunyadi on March 13, 2007 at 2:49 AM

Note to self: Add Andy Rooney to my “Please Hurry Up And Die” list.

Teddy on March 13, 2007 at 4:26 AM

Rooney + Thomas = Gore and liberalism at it’s most elitist format. Telling us that the troops were losers and the sky is falling. These people will meet thier maker soon and then see how they are going to tell Him what they really meant. Sad, sad ,sad and it’s on tv, stll.

bones47 on March 13, 2007 at 10:38 AM

Wishing death on others is behavior best suited for KOS or huffpo.

Ian, can you clean these types up please?

Rooney is loony. He is right in one area though, there have been instances of gang members stealing PBA’s etc., and sending them to their homies. I told my kid to watch his stuff at all times and to trust no one until he’s been with that person for a while. But I am sure that kind of stuff has happened in every war since the beginning of time.

The American military is by and large manned (and womaned) by the best we have to offer. They are better than their contemporaries. If you don’t believe me, just take a look at college campuses. Selfish, blind, and arrogant.

csdeven on March 13, 2007 at 11:49 AM

11B is Infantry Grunt.

13B is Cannon Crewmember Cocker.

Lonevoice on March 12

Both terms of endearment for those who hold the MOS.

As for the POS Rooney “Don’t you just hate it when an old person soil themself and don’t even know it?”

SPIFF1669 on March 13, 2007 at 1:00 PM

He’s just a sad, bitter old man. Pay no attention to him.

aengus on March 13, 2007 at 5:55 PM