CPAC: Bryan interviews Rep. Duncan Hunter

posted at 8:20 am on March 12, 2007 by Bryan

Rep. Duncan Hunter’s official campaign site
McCain: Move Gitmo detainees to Leavenworth

Download for your iPod

Comments

I really don’t want to have a target for Jihadis that close to my house.

Does Johnnie Mack really think it makes any difference where they are detained? Having them here in KS would only make things worse, because there is a large class of legal actions that would be brought, which are not possible while they’re in an enclave like Gitmo. The USDC for KS and W MO would be overwhelmed by the case load.

The Monster on March 12, 2007 at 8:41 AM

Nice job Bryn. Does McCain really think for a second that the military prisoners in Leavenworth would coexist peacefully with the new terrorist inmates? They are criminals but yet still American ex-soldiers and I would imagine there might still be some patriots in there kind of like the Mob helping the government during World War II. I guess that would solve the problem of what to do with them, they would all eventually get the Jeffery Damher treatment.

McCain has become a joke.

Kahuna on March 12, 2007 at 8:54 AM

Very conservative on most issues (obviously). However, his “Fair Trade” ideas (not really explained in much detail on his website) smack of protectionism and Democratic values.

Does his district represent a heavily unionized area?

asc85 on March 12, 2007 at 8:57 AM

P.S. You have to fix the clock regarding “Time Of Post”. It’s still on Standard time as I write this note to you.

asc85 on March 12, 2007 at 8:58 AM

Thanks for the interview. I have been waiting! He is my choice, I think the front runners will burn out eventually.

CrimsonFisted on March 12, 2007 at 9:03 AM

We absolutely can not allow the prisoners from Gitmo to put one foot inside our boarders.

Wade on March 12, 2007 at 9:19 AM

Well, he’s no Fred Thompson.™

saint kansas on March 12, 2007 at 10:03 AM

So McCain wants the prisoners in GITMO to reside in Leavenworth?

How long before some anti-war/pro-jihadist activist judge decides that they deserve all the constitutional protections of American citizens – including a public jury trial, bail, discovery process, and the like – simply due to their presence within out borders?

I’d give it two weeks before the ACLU shops for a judge and files a motion…..

CrazyFool on March 12, 2007 at 10:13 AM

I’d give it two weeks before the ACLU shops for a judge and files a motion…..

I’d guess somewhere closer to 10 seconds. I’m sure they have that paperwork written and their preferred judge already picked out.

Bryan on March 12, 2007 at 11:03 AM

So far he and Romney have hit more issue buttons with me than any other RINOs in the race. Anyone know where he is on gun control? Doesn’t say on his website.

Chuck Yeagers for him…just sayin.

Alden Pyle on March 12, 2007 at 11:07 AM

Hunter just gor invited to be on THe Glen Beck show. Beck seems to like him.

Drtuddle on March 12, 2007 at 11:16 AM

Hunter on gun control–the NRA rates him an A+. His stances on all of the isses are at that link. He looks like a real deal conservative to me.

Bryan on March 12, 2007 at 11:35 AM

He is. And he doesn’t seem to have any baggage that a Newt would have. So far I’m liking Hunter more and more.

Nethicus on March 12, 2007 at 12:01 PM

Very interesting. If you had more time it would have been cool to hear about Able Danger. As I recall he was driving that.

I’d like to see him on a ticket.

see-dubya on March 12, 2007 at 12:11 PM

He was in a hurry to get back to the capitol, and I was in a hurry to get…somewhere. CPAC is like that. I was glad he gave us the time that he gave us though. With more time I would have brought out quite a few more questions.

Bryan on March 12, 2007 at 12:21 PM

Don’t forget you can check their voting records (which is the best weather vein there is) at Project Vote Smart

Never trust what they say, always go examine how they have voted in the past. If people would only do that then they would be able to cut through all of the smoke and mirrors.

AZPatriot on March 12, 2007 at 1:37 PM

Oh and I almost forgot when your viewing their voting history you really need click on the bill names and read what they actually are about, allot of them have very deceiving titles that make them appear to lean one way when they are the exact opposite. My best advise is to just pick a name and click on the voting history link then grab a piece of paper and pen and mark down how “YOU” would have voted for each bill. then use that as a template to look at all of their voting history to see who most closely matches what your ideal candidate.
I think allot of people will be surprised at the results they get.

AZPatriot on March 12, 2007 at 1:45 PM

Except for the disgraceful Hagel and McCain, Hunter is the only candidate who served in the military ( that I know of ). This is a big plus during wartime, so much so that it was the be all and end all of presidential qualifications during the last election season.

Clinton and Obama do not have the Moral Authority to send our men to fight in any conflict. Hunter’s son has already served in Iraq. Whether you like this kind of argument or not, just realize that the Democrats were the ones who set the groundwork for this argument and they are setting themselves up to be hoisted by their own petard.

Hunter’s positions on illegal immigration and jobs are the kind of positions that will bring him the non-affiliated vote. The anti-protectionists’ argument that we should bring all of the world’s poor and uneducated people to the US to drive down the wages of its citizen workers is a losing argument at the ballot box.

Perchant on March 12, 2007 at 1:48 PM

I’d guess somewhere closer to 10 seconds.

My guess is one week. Although the initial argument might be that American prisons aren’t properly set up to accomodate the jihadists (lack of proper prayer facilities, meals, recruiting rooms, bomb-making materials, etc.)

saint kansas on March 12, 2007 at 1:51 PM

Thanks for posting the Duncan Hunter CPAC interview. He’s the only real choice that conservatives have running for the GOP 2008 nomination. Please continue to give him exposure since the MSM refuses to. Many of us conservatives refuse to drink the purple kool-aid the GOP and media wants us to take by voting for the other big name RINO candidates.

Mandrake on March 12, 2007 at 1:59 PM

McCain really has lost it hasn’t he? How dare he call himself a republican and then cave in to PCness. And to people who don’t like the US anyway! If it wasn’t Gitmo it’d be something else! I bet within a month or two, he is out of the race.

csdeven on March 12, 2007 at 3:35 PM

Duncan Hunter at CPAC 2007

Excerpt – (personal story that ended the speech)

Now, ladies and gentlemen, if we walked all the way across this great country in this great, wonderful morning, in just a short period of time the sun’s going to be coming up 3,000 miles away at another cemetery — another national cemetery, and that’s Rosecrans National Cemetery in my home town of San Diego. And Rosecrans stands guard over that great harbor where so many people have come back from America’s wars.

And in 1945, a young Marine returning home from the South Pacific to San Diego wrote these works: “I think that just to be able to live with your wife and family, to be able to take care of them every day is the great privilege a person can enjoy.”

Well, 61 years later another Marine returned to San Diego from a place called Fallujah, and he wrote: “At some point in a dangerous environment you forget about your own safety and you try to keep your men safe and place your own life in the hands of God. But your family, your wife and kids never leave your mind. Families lift our country up. They support us with fidelity, morality, faith in God, and raising the next generation of Americans.”

Ladies and gentlemen, the first gentleman that I mentioned, the first Marine, was my father, to whom I owe everything I am or ever will be. And the second was my son, Duncan Hunter. (Applause)

Those letters, 60 years apart, reflect the truth of America. God still loves this nation. We are still a people of character and strength and kindness. And so with faith in God, with confidence in the goodness of the American people, let’s win this race for the United States presidency.

Thank you, and God bless you. (Applause)

The full transcript of the speech is posted in a Word document at the CPAC 2007 website.

Here – http://www.cpac.org/speeches/Hunter.doc

Duncan Hunter’s excellent speech at CPAC 2007 as aired on C-Span, Friday March 2nd. Unfortunately he ran out of time before he could take questions. The last part of his speech is awe-inspiring! (20 minutes)

(windows media player)

The C-Span link:

This video is four hours and 16 minutes. Duncans speech is at the very beginning. The last part of his speech is awe-inspiring! (25 minutes)

rtsp://video.c-span.org/archive/c08/c08_030207_cpac.rm
(for me this link automatically opens Real Player)

Duncan’s interview on Pundit Radio from a couple of Sundays ago.

Rep. Duncan Hunter on Pundit Review Radio (excellent 30 minute audio interview)

http://www.punditreview.com/2007/02/19/rep-duncan-hunter-on-pundit-review-radio-2/ (audio link at the bottom)

Duncan Hunter’s campaign website -

olympian2008 on March 12, 2007 at 4:12 PM

Duncan Hunter would make the best President of anyone who’s expressed and interest, from either party. OTOH, the “Duncan who?” factor may be insurmountable in ’08. A good solid San Diego conservative would make a great running mate for a sorta liberal New Yorker, then be in prime position to inherit the Oval Office in another eight years.

Great story about his father and his son. Did he even bother to mention that he himself served honorably in Viet Nam?

bdfaith on March 12, 2007 at 4:53 PM

Great Interview.

No Surprise, the issues mentioned – national security, control over our borders and immigration, and keeping jobs here in the United States are basic to protecting the interests of the citizens. Perhaps some politicians really are listening.

omegaram on March 12, 2007 at 4:55 PM

I like Hunter. I hope he gets enough exposure and money. He’s definitely in the ballpark with the issues for me.

darwin on March 12, 2007 at 5:45 PM

Living in San Diego county, I have seen first that Mr. Hunter says what he means, and does what he says.

I feel it is very important that he stay in the race, join the debates, and let his voice be heard on the National stage.

Duncan, I stopped contributing to the Republican Party when it was clear the RINO’s weren’t going to let us secure the border.

My wallet is open now, I know you will spend it wisely…..

PinkyBigglesworth on March 12, 2007 at 9:31 PM

Like several above, I have extreme doubts about transfering Gitmo detainees to Leavenworth. It would be a HUGE can of worms on many fronts. No, leave them where they are. Congressman Hunter says some interesting things in the right way. Time will tell.

Roger Brown on March 12, 2007 at 10:55 PM

“To close the place just because some people around the world don’t like us”, or something to this effect, fantastic!

Entelechy on March 12, 2007 at 11:59 PM

Of course they should close Guantanamo.

They can show the inmates the Caribbean Sea and tell them to start swimming.

Have find finding dry land, fellas!

Shark bait!

William

William2006 on March 13, 2007 at 4:49 AM

Roger Brown on March 12, 2007 at 10:55 PM

Why not ship them to Cindy Sheehan’s, Barbara Streisand’s, Rosie O’Donnel’s, Arianna Huffington’s, and the homes of a few others who care about them?

The inmates will be well fed, well housed, and well loved, which is all one can ask, and those who are so caring can show their love.

William

William2006 on March 13, 2007 at 4:52 AM

I have never heard of Duncan Hunter but am glad I now have.If he has good fiscal policy,a plan to actually implement a border fence and start feeding those sons of bitches in guantanamo bay green balony,he’s our man.Honey glazed chicken indeed!You should see the garbage our elders are served in nursing homes everyday.Excuse the profanity.It just burns my biscuits!

spazzmomma on March 13, 2007 at 9:47 AM