Audio: Harry Belafonte: Condi Rice is “revered nowhere” and has “influence over a nothingness”

posted at 8:19 am on March 12, 2007 by Ian

Hugo Chavez’s pal Harry Belafonte blasted Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, remarking she is “revered nowhere” and “has influence over a nothingness:”

Perhaps he confused the Secretary of State with his own moribund career.

Comments

Harry, go suck a banana

Wade on March 12, 2007 at 8:23 AM

Nothing like seeing an aging Marxist make an ass of himself.
I did not realize that the purpose and goals of a Secretary of State was to be “revered.”

Hilts on March 12, 2007 at 8:24 AM

Daylight come and he oughta go home!

Wander on March 12, 2007 at 8:29 AM

As much as I despise guys and gals like him, I am envious. Make a couple of records, and then spend the rest of your life saying stupid things.

Not be revered by Belefoney and Chavez is an honor.

right2bright on March 12, 2007 at 8:36 AM

And having recorded a song about bananas which became a hit single the week the Edsel was introduced, Harry Belafonte is now the kind of international sensation who doesn’t find it ironic when he calls other people “irrelevant.”

Some would call it “projection.”

E. M. on March 12, 2007 at 8:41 AM

I engaged some younger kids (black students ages around 15?) in a conversation about her, and I learned from it..they seemed most impressed with the fact that she became Provost at what is viewed as ‘white’ university, and she is considered a role model for male youth.

This was in a city bus, where they read my “Proud Member Of The Vast Right Wing Conspiracy” tee shirt. I also found out, they didn’t like Bush, but they loved Cheney.

Pam on March 12, 2007 at 8:45 AM

Harry who?

Pulchritudinous Patriot on March 12, 2007 at 8:51 AM

Bounces of Condi and sticks right back on you Harry.

Babs on March 12, 2007 at 8:53 AM

Good grief, Banana Boy is a toolbag. I wish he’d just give it a rest.

Pam on March 12, 2007 at 8:45 AM

This makes sense. Bush is seen even by many of his supporters as a necessary evil. I think W is a good man. I think he’s shown real leadership in taking the bull by the horns in the GWOT. I don’t, however, much like him as a President. I think he’s been a good President, in that he’s made some good decisions at the right times, but it’s difficult to like him in the role. Case in point, “nukular” versus “nuclear.” That really, really, really gets to me.

Cheney, on the other hand, is 100% hardcore bad mofo. He’s Darth Vader. He doesn’t take guff, and he’s sharp when defending policy. I never have to worry about Cheney making a fool of himself in public. I have to actively support Bush, almost do damage control for him in my own head. I can passively root for Cheney. It doesn’t surprise me that other folks would see things similarly.

spmat on March 12, 2007 at 8:58 AM

And Belafonte is a disgusting, putrid enemy of the Republic.

rplat on March 12, 2007 at 9:08 AM

The man isn’t the remotest relevent in the music world any longer…hasn’t been for decades…and yet, we’re supposed to find him relevent in Politics?? NAAAAAAY-O.

Take off, Tallyman!

tickleddragon on March 12, 2007 at 9:14 AM

“Belafonte’s political beliefs are greatly inspired by the man that he still views to this day as his mentor, singer and activist Paul Robeson.[2] Paul Robeson was in his time a controversial figure for strongly supporting the Soviet Union throughout the Cold War. After living as a second-class citizen under Jim Crow laws in the United States, and spending some time in the Soviet Union, Robeson felt strongly that racial prejudice was being eradicated in the Soviet Union.”

Isn’t it fascinating how one loon can inspire others to be just as looney?

Matthews, Olberdunce, Rosie, Sheehan, Belafonte, Pelosi, etc.

fogw on March 12, 2007 at 9:14 AM

Picture thie; Harry kissing Sheenan while hanging upside down on Hardball.

Wade on March 12, 2007 at 9:30 AM

What I find amazing is why anyone cares what Harry says.

I mean, here you have a washed-up singer giving an uninformed, uneducated opinion on matters he cannot begin to comprehend. And why exactly is he relevent?

BacaDog on March 12, 2007 at 9:37 AM

I thought he was dead.

Talon on March 12, 2007 at 9:42 AM

I tally him bananas. Utterly bananas.

James on March 12, 2007 at 9:45 AM

I thought he was dead.

Talon on March 12, 2007 at 9:42 AM

BrainDEAD

Wade on March 12, 2007 at 9:47 AM

haha! Good one, James. I laughed out loud.

tickleddragon on March 12, 2007 at 9:48 AM

right2bright on March 12, 2007 at 8:36 AM

Actually, he wasn’t a bad actor, either. But then again, neither are “Quick, start bailing!” Penn or “I’ve been silenced” Robbins.

eeyore on March 12, 2007 at 9:57 AM

“Who cares what Harry thinks?”

Chavez.

So, Condi’s a nobody, eh? Harry, she most powerful woman in the world … and YOU are? A one hit wonder, a has been, a used to be. A hundred years from now, people are still gonna know who Dr. Rice was. As for you, *maybe* your stupid song will still be used in commercials by evil capitalists making money … but probably not.

Tony737 on March 12, 2007 at 10:35 AM

Daylight commmmme and we listen to ya no more.

thirteen28 on March 12, 2007 at 10:59 AM

I listened to this last night. It struck me that he made mention of “them” being “capitalist”. I’m sorry, Harry, pray tell what the hell are you? If you are a socialist or a communist (my money is on the latter) then why do you live in Beverly hills in a posh home? Shouldn’t you be living in China, Cuba, Venezuela or France? Fact: you’re a filthy hypocrite that is consumed by hate, jealousy and fear. You rely on the stronger men with honor, courage and integrity.

You haven’t the courage to loyal.

x95b10 on March 12, 2007 at 11:48 AM

Then he dropped a pouch of gold coins embossed with the image of Xerxes…

Jim Treacher on March 12, 2007 at 12:03 PM

Isn’t Belefonte right outside of Penn State?

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on March 12, 2007 at 12:11 PM

Day-o, day ay ay -0 daylight come and me wanna go puke

RobG on March 12, 2007 at 12:17 PM

If Condi would just say, “I don’t feel no ways tired”, Belafonte would leave her alone.

RightWinged on March 12, 2007 at 1:34 PM

I think that Belafonte and “poet” Amiri Baraka have a long-standing antipathy toward black women. Dr. Rice’s general accomplishment seems to inflame it.

baldilocks on March 12, 2007 at 1:38 PM

OK, after 32 seconds I heard all I needed to hear. What a craaaaaaaazy cat.

Besides Bettle Juice this was the only use for belafonte’s music that made me smile.

csdeven on March 12, 2007 at 1:43 PM

Because she doesn’t believe as he does she is not master of her own destiny?
She has the right to say what she wants but because she doesn’t go along w/ how he thinks she is abusing her blackness? And how nice that he thinks enough of himself to speak for the majority of blacks in the country.
Condi is powerless??? I think he protests too much.
He has influence over nothingness
He doesn’t move the international mind or heart
He is nothing but an inconsequential man, and he doesn’t like it.

Laura02420 on March 12, 2007 at 2:10 PM

Harry is not a “Once Was”, Harry is a never has been!

NEMETI IN SYRACUSE on March 12, 2007 at 6:09 PM

Remember kids, if someone tries to get a point across, just keep saying..

Poh-werless
POh-werless
POH-werless
POH-WERless
POH-WERELESS

And wtf’s this ‘she needs someone to tell her about her blackness’?

Reaps on March 12, 2007 at 11:39 PM