Video: Sarah Silverman sleeps with “God”

posted at 11:47 am on March 8, 2007 by Allahpundit

Noel Sheppard is outraged, the boss is mildly annoyed, and Ace is indifferent bordering on amused. Like him, I find it too absurd to warrant anger, although he and I both watch the show so maybe we’re seeing it in a context others aren’t. Most of the humor revolves around her character’s vapidity; this is in line with that insofar as it reduces the profundity of an encounter with the almighty to a one-night stand, replete with awkward morning-after banter. I.e., “God” is really just a foil here for “Sarah’s” own shallowness and stupidity.

And yeah, neither Silverman nor Comedy Central would have had the stones to play this as an encounter with Allah or Mohammed. That’s supposed to be an argument against Islamic standards of acceptable discourse, not our own, right?

Comments

Wait. god is naked, and sarah still has her top on? If your gonna sleep with god; at least show him your knockers.

lorien1973 on March 8, 2007 at 11:52 AM

I wasn’t that outraged. If you watch her show, it’s about pissing off just about everyone. If there was an episode where Allah or Mohammed was made fun of, I wouldn’t be surprised.

Ian on March 8, 2007 at 11:53 AM

But, you see, when you translate this into Arabic, Allah is a black dude who gets dissed by a Jewess. If that doesn’t get enrage the seething Ummah, nothing can.

The Monster on March 8, 2007 at 11:53 AM

I only saw part of the HIV episode where the nurse asks her “are you trying to get aids”. This society honors stupidity above everything else and I’m sick of it; so when shows honor how dumb people are, that’s usually a channel changer for me. :P

lorien1973 on March 8, 2007 at 11:55 AM

Ian on March 8, 2007 at 11:53 AM

I wouldn’t be surprised if she made one, but you know they wouldn’t air it.

RightWinged on March 8, 2007 at 11:56 AM

I wouldn’t be surprised if she made one, but you know they wouldn’t air it.

RightWinged on March 8, 2007 at 11:56 AM

Yeah, since it’s Dhimmi Central, they wouldn’t.

Ian on March 8, 2007 at 11:57 AM

The old shrine prostitutes slept with the “gods” and “others.”
Women’s status improved under Christianity which frowned on women being used this way … oh that’s an inconvenient truth, isn’t it? Mock the only God who gave you dignity, by acting out being a sleaze bag. Women’s progress?

naliaka on March 8, 2007 at 12:02 PM

I’m not outraged, but I’m also not laughing.

Honestly, I want to find her funny. I actually like her for the most part. But sometimes it just seems, I don’t know, like it’s trying to hard to be funny while being completely obvious.

That’s the problem I have with Family Guy as well. Peter being child-like in his stupidity can sustain a few laughs, but after awhile, it’s just annoying.

Esthier on March 8, 2007 at 12:10 PM

Im outraged, Im going to burn some toast!

Viper1 on March 8, 2007 at 12:13 PM

yea, i have to say, she’s got this thing where you see her once and you think, “hey, that was some funny stuff!” but then you see her again and there’s nothing there. her part in the aristocrats tried an interesting angle, but wasn’t a tenth as funny as doug stanhope’s.

that said, she’s waaaayyy cute.

jummy on March 8, 2007 at 12:13 PM

I hope God wore protection.

Labamigo on March 8, 2007 at 12:16 PM

Yeah, this was definitely trying too hard. She can be a lot funnier than this, but it was a decent premise for a skit.

Savage on March 8, 2007 at 12:20 PM

Im not outraged at all. I could see being outraged if it was Jesus she was sleeping with but it was a nondenominational thing.

Plus, of course they wouldn’t show her sleeping with Mohammed, they wouldnt even show his face on South Park.

Verbal Abuse on March 8, 2007 at 12:22 PM

Yeah, since it’s Dhimmi Central, they wouldn’t.

Honestly, is there any network that would air something like that? In this day and age?

Number 2 on March 8, 2007 at 12:26 PM

That’s got to be the Judeo-Christian God, ’cause Sarah Silverman is way to old for censored.

saint kansas on March 8, 2007 at 12:26 PM

I love the Sarah Silverman Program. Funniest thing on Comedy Central, miles ahead of that one trick pony Carlos Mencia (oh, right… he also does that retarded “duh-duhduh” thing… ok, two tricks), even better than Dave Chapelle.

Although I’m not prepared to say funnier than South Park… that’s my old sentimental favorite from my college days. Still, pretty funny.

But the last ten minutes of last night’s show, where she loves and leaves God, kinda felt tacked on at the end there.

Mark V. on March 8, 2007 at 12:31 PM

Just more narcissicism from the Hollyweird crowd.
/move along nothing to see here

LakeRuins on March 8, 2007 at 12:36 PM

Yes, if you think jokes about rape, 9/11, and pedophilia are funny by all means watch her show!

wryteacher on March 8, 2007 at 12:37 PM

LOL! This stuff was hilarious. Everybody needs to chill out. Hey folks. It’s COMEDY! I see this as showing how shallow her character is. Good stuff!

pjcomix on March 8, 2007 at 12:38 PM

I thought God was a woman?

Is cosmic lesbianism no longer funny?

(Sarah, it was funnier when Zeus did it as a goose. You need a new writer, baby.. call me.)

profitsbeard on March 8, 2007 at 12:38 PM

AP you should get a cookie!

Comedy Central is the biggest hypocrite in the business. They block out a scene of Mohammed on a South Park episode, but in the very next scene in the same episode, they allow a sketch that depicts Jesus making bowel movements all over the people below him. Wow! I think Parker and Stone tried to call them out on it, but to no avail.

This kind of appeasement mentality is un-American.

budorob on March 8, 2007 at 12:44 PM

I think this is actually extremely clever because it calls attention to the fact that this is exactly the kind of relationship people have with God. It’s a relationship of convenience – generally, people only invoke God to burnish their own sense of self-righteousness.

In fact, I can’t think of a single time in history that God was ever invoked for any reason other than in an attempt to lend perceived credibility to whoever is speaking.

I wonder what John Edwards would say Jesus would say…

Enrique on March 8, 2007 at 12:46 PM

Did not know God drinks

Wade on March 8, 2007 at 12:49 PM

God already screwed her… by creating Jimmy Kimmel!

Jim Treacher on March 8, 2007 at 12:51 PM

Gawd seems to have a thing for one nighters with jewish women.

Mazztek on March 8, 2007 at 12:52 PM

Speaking of Comedy Central, does anyone get the humor in the Naked Trucker and T-Bones show?

I know it’s slightly off-topic. I’m just curious if anyone else is as annoyed by that as I am.

SailorDave on March 8, 2007 at 12:54 PM

Ian on March 8, 2007 at 11:53 AM

No, like you said, Dhimi Central would never do that.

As AHA put it, the Almighty won’t send send someone to gun you down and stick a knife in your chest. He just waits till you’re dead to punish you. Silverman is a fool for mocking God, especially when she’s not even funny doing it.

spmat on March 8, 2007 at 12:55 PM

There is something about her that I think is great. I don’t find this offensive at all. I even laughed when I saw the headline. I do agree with Allah though that it would have been far more daring and “provocative” to replace God with Muhammed. If her goal is to do the “oh my god I can’t believe she did that” kind of funny then she would instantly have become the talk of the town. After everything that is done and said about Christ and Christians these days it is really impossible to flirt with that fine line between comedy, decency and rudeness going down that road. There is nothing left to mock. Its been done and done and done over and over again already. Thats the opposite of edgy shocking comedy which was obviously her goal. Muhammed would have been awesome and I would have loved to watch the “muticultural” libs squirm, not to mention the entertaining wack job Jihadi riots that would enevitably ensue. Just thinking about that makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

Zetterson on March 8, 2007 at 12:56 PM

Enrique
“The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge.”

Those are God’s words, no middle man. You do recognize that Edwards does indeed have a relationship of convenience, whic is quite correct. What you don’t see is the other part. C.S. Lewis used a lion as a metaphor for Christ – to make the point that one should never assume that the big kitty is really tame.

naliaka on March 8, 2007 at 12:58 PM

Forunately for me, unless there is a hockey game on, I watch no television. It has become completely worthless.

rightside on March 8, 2007 at 12:59 PM

My mistake. I thought it was Barak Obama.

shooten on March 8, 2007 at 1:02 PM

did anyone else notice that she used the ‘f’ word (rhymes with hags)to describe her 2 gay friends who didn’t have money to pay their bill at the restaurant… fall out anyone? nah…

fulhamfc on March 8, 2007 at 1:04 PM

This is beyond merely offensive, this is pure, intentional and directed blasphemy. What Coulter said was nothing compared to this. But there will be little outrage from either the left or the right, because after all, they are only bashing Christians…. or at least, people who believe in God. Why is it OK to offend the majority but not OK to offend a minority?

Nevertheless, as offended as I am, I would not advocate rehab for anyone associated with this show, because after all we do have free speech and even offensive speech is protected by the First Amendment. But anybody that was offended by Coulter’s remark and NOT offended by this is a hypocrite and politically correct.

We need to get back to the idea that EVERYONE has a RIGHT to say whatever they want…. just short of “fighting words” or declaring “fire” in a building that is NOT actually on fire. Let the left say what they want, and let’s dump political correctness and start allowing the Right to say what needs to be said without regard to who might be offended.

Maxx on March 8, 2007 at 1:15 PM

Christophobia.

Matticus Finch on March 8, 2007 at 1:18 PM

I tried watching this show two different times… made it about 2 minutes before my guts started turning inside out. Not funny at all.

dalewalt on March 8, 2007 at 1:18 PM

We’ve progressed pretty well… She just slept with a black man on TV and no one’s complaining about it!

Skywise on March 8, 2007 at 1:28 PM

I’m starting to think AP is a closet liberal.

bj1126 on March 8, 2007 at 1:29 PM

Oh, now … doth we all not protest, too much? I mean, seriously, where’s the harm, and or reason to get all fired up over this?

We hassle the muslims for getting their panties in a bunch over some cartoons – granted, their reactions are a bit over the top … and we’d all like to see them lighten up over criticisms of their beliefs; but, a jewish girl takes a poke at god (or, vice-versa, depending on how you look at it) on a cable program that barely a handful of us would have seen/heard about if not for all of this after-the-fact attention, and all hell’s a’ poppin’?

I’m not saying people have to like it, but I highly doubt that a little jewish girl and her half-hour comedy program will be the harbinger of the decay of western civilization.

“Dogma” came and went and that was MUCH more biting than this. Ditto with “The Life of Brian” and “Holy Grail.”

yo on March 8, 2007 at 1:29 PM

Why is it OK to offend the majority but not OK to offend a minority?

The Supreme Court has actually said (paraphrasing) “we don’t care about discriminating against White Anglo-Saxon Protestants… they’ve got it coming to them”

Yeah, the Supreme Court sucks along with the rest of our government.

Decoy256 on March 8, 2007 at 1:31 PM

oops… I meant “government officials”… I actually REALLY like our government, just not anyone who is in it, with very few exceptions.

Decoy256 on March 8, 2007 at 1:33 PM

I’m starting to think AP is a closet liberal.

bj1126 on March 8, 2007 at 1:29 PM

Oh yeah !

Maxx on March 8, 2007 at 1:34 PM

He’s already admitted to being further to the left than andrew sullivan :P

lorien1973 on March 8, 2007 at 1:35 PM

I agree that I’m correct. Especially since here you are claiming that you know what God would think. People only ever invoke God to prove their self-righteousness – you just did it effortlessly.

Blasphemy = Saying that which is obvious but inconvenient.

Enrique on March 8, 2007 at 1:42 PM

It’s just so stupid…not really worth even typing this comment, other than to ponder how interesting it will be to see the look on her face at the judgment seat.

JustTruth101 on March 8, 2007 at 1:47 PM

I wrote off Sarah Silverman after seeing her cable special a few years ago (not that I was paying all that much attention to her previously). She wrapped up her stand-up act by doing a parody of a gospel choir singing “Amazing Grace.” She was so “filled with the spirit” that the song came from each of her bodily orfices. She poked the microphone at her butt and crotch, and imitated different voices singing the song.

It was vulgar and unfunny, but what really made me angry was her choice of target. “Amazing Grace” is one of the jewels of American gospel song. The song was written by a slave-trading ship captain turned abolitionist (listen closely to the lyrics). It’s a landmark in our national history and civil rights movement. I get that secular Hollywood liberals all think evangelicals are idiots, but what, exactly, is funny about mocking this particular song?

Also, her earlier routine about growing up as a “nice Jewish girl” was not helpful. If I were a local Hollywood Rabbi, I would certainly want to denounce this anti-Christian skank. Although it is clear that Silverman is Jewish in ethnicity only, and not in religious observance.

End of lecture.

Anton on March 8, 2007 at 1:49 PM

I’m starting to think AP is a closet liberal.

Maybe we should encourage him to come out of the closet.

Come back to the raft ag’in, Huck honey!

saint kansas on March 8, 2007 at 1:53 PM

I think we should firebomb some buildings, burn some effigies, decapitate some innocent civilians and blow up random things…

…oops, sorry, wrong religion. Move along.

TexasRainmaker on March 8, 2007 at 1:54 PM

This is why my TV is either on Fox News or off…mostly off.

RedWinged Blackbird on March 8, 2007 at 1:59 PM

I’m starting to think AP is a closet liberal.

bj1126 on March 8, 2007 at 1:29 PM

He isn’t where it counts, so meh.

AP + religion == traffic bait.

Bryan could intro topics like this, make a mild denouncement, and you’d see about half the comments AP does.

spmat on March 8, 2007 at 2:02 PM

I guess this is the guy you get when you can’t afford Morgan Freeman.

saint kansas on March 8, 2007 at 2:18 PM

I learned long ago not ot take anything that comes out of LA La land out in California as nothing worth even getting worked up over.

Just shows that hollywood’s talent really continues to erode and they have to push the envelope to even pretend they have talent.

William Amos on March 8, 2007 at 2:23 PM

Is it unanimous?

We all agree that everyone is terrified and would NEVER do something like this related to Mohammad and Allah.

After all, we won’t respect Judaism, Hinduism, Sikhism, Christianity, including Catholicism, Buddhism, Shintoism, and others, but we definitely respect and honor and praise Islam.

We wouldn’t want to get those poor little militant, violent Jihadis pissed off at us and then they go and slit our throats, blow us up, or worse.

These television program managers and personnel, including this comedian, are not so brave or insightful. They are terrified of Islam and Muslim Jihadis and they won’t dare cross the line. The will continue to stick with their safe comedic targets.

Dhimmies!!!! and the other spelling – Dihmmies!!!!

William

William2006 on March 8, 2007 at 2:28 PM

She’s attractive enough, but I’d rather have my balls pounded flat with a wooden hammer than sit through her unfunny show again.

fusionaddict on March 8, 2007 at 2:37 PM

fusionaddict on March 8, 2007 at 2:37 PM

Ouch!!!!

“fussionaddict,”

Now I need to go soak in ice cold water and take some pain killers!

That description is much to PAINFUL, and funny!!!!

Who needs Silverman, Leno, et al? There is ample clever, creative, insightful comedy available right here on HotAir dot com!!!

William

William2006 on March 8, 2007 at 2:44 PM

Yawn… Would have been better with talking monkey or something.

x95b10 on March 8, 2007 at 2:46 PM

I’m starting to think AP is a closet liberal.

bj1126 on March 8, 2007 at 1:29 PM

why?

jummy on March 8, 2007 at 2:52 PM

I think it was supposed to be a send-up of the Jewish-America Princess joke, one trope of which is an incredible capacity for insincerity, to put it mildly.

smellthecoffee on March 8, 2007 at 2:58 PM

Oops. Jewish-American Princess.

smellthecoffee on March 8, 2007 at 3:00 PM

“Gawd seems to have a thing for one nighters with jewish women.”

But what if this time, it’s a girl?

georgej on March 8, 2007 at 3:02 PM

I, for one, am honestly disgusted by that episode. This violates a bunch of the commandments. In protest, I will continue to not watch that program and not tell anyone else about it.

Odds are real good that I’ll not behead anyone or suicide bomb them.

jdpaz on March 8, 2007 at 3:20 PM

I’m sorry but although this part wasn’t that funny, the part where she was trying to get past the wheelchair marathon to cross the street to get batteries was HILARIOUS. I couldn’t breathe I was laughing so hard. I’m just not offended by this. It’s a joke.

foxforce91 on March 8, 2007 at 3:22 PM

This topic is vapid.

csdeven on March 8, 2007 at 3:25 PM

Why is it OK to offend the majority but not OK to offend a minority?

Well one hopes it’s not OK to offend either; but to your point, offending the majority tends to be self-correcting and self defeating over time. Offending a minority invokes (sometimes) the memory of actual abuse.

Our founders spoke to the “tyranny of the majority”. Interesting thought, have we over-corrected and are now looking at the age of the “tyranny of the minority”?

honora on March 8, 2007 at 3:37 PM

This topic is vapid.

You were expecting deep thoughts from a post containing: a comedian, sex, and god? Your expectations are wayy too high.

lorien1973 on March 8, 2007 at 3:40 PM

This doesn’t bother me only because I don’t pay attention to Sarah Silverman anyway. I thought she was good in “Mr. Monk and the TV Star”, but that’s all I get into.

vcferlita on March 8, 2007 at 3:58 PM

Silverman is showing her age.
This kind of thing hasn’t been even slightly cutting-edge since the 20th century.

Stephen M on March 8, 2007 at 4:07 PM

Blasphemy = Saying that which is obvious but inconvenient.

Enrique on March 8, 2007 at 1:42 PM

Enrique. Is that a liberal’s definition of blasphemy, which trumps the definition in the dictionary?
What makes you think I’m being self-righteous? You’re the one cooking up alternate vocabularies, evidently, the usual lingo isn’t good enough for you. Is it for YOU to decide what is blasphemous to a person of a religion you don’t even practice yourself? Since when? Isn’t that the epitome of bigotry, coming off your own keyboard? You thought the woman was funny. That’s yours. Why should it make you nervous that other people find it cringing because they resepct and honor God? She meant it to be rude and insulting, she scored! Bet she won’t do the same schitck with the Muslims nor with, say, the Yanamamo of the Amazon River Basin who’d pound her over the head for mocking their religious beliefs. She’s a coward. She mocks the one religion whose followers won’t do her in. It’s getting really old to see this kind of junior high behavior in adults.

naliaka on March 8, 2007 at 4:09 PM

Someone owes me a new keyboard, since this one has coffee in it now.

Pulchritudinous Patriot on March 8, 2007 at 4:10 PM

As far as I can remember, there was no talk about Jesus or Christianity in the entire episode. The “God” that appeared seemed to be nothing more than a generic incarnation of God, a concept the vast majority of the world believes in, at least nominally.

Muslims refer to God as they know him as “Allah”, which is Arabic for “God”. But Sarah Silverman is not Arabic or Muslim. So why the hell would she call God “Allah”?

The point is, there’s no reason to think of this as some sort of crack about Jesus or Christianity. Or Judaism, since Sarah Silverman is Jewish. It’s just a riff on a concept that billions of people throughout the world believe in in one form or another.

Mark V. on March 8, 2007 at 4:13 PM

And by the way. I would never heard of this show if AP hadn’t posted it. This skit is extremely offensive, on many, many levels. There are other ways to illustrate the absurdity of shallowness than in this manner. South Park does a spectacularly better job, and as a cartoon, it gives the audience the distance it needs to help the absurdity. Why was this so important to post? It’s just one more in your face slap at anyone who takes the God of Abraham, Issac, Joseph and Daniel seriously. Is that really necessary?

naliaka on March 8, 2007 at 4:20 PM

Mark V. on March 8, 2007 at 4:13 PM

If that was the case, then why did Hindu extremists block a Christian missionary and his two young sons into their vehicle while they were sleeping, then burn them alive? Why didn’t they recognize the “riff on the concept?” The man and his sons had done nothing wrong, broke no law, were unarmed and helpless. People are getting their heads broken all over the world for being Christians and you dismiss it as “riff”? Obviously, life in America is too comfortable. We don’t know what we have.

naliaka on March 8, 2007 at 4:29 PM

From the girl who gave us Jesus Is Magic? That’s a leap I’m unwilling to take.
This looks like psycho-melo-psychodrama to me.

I’ve caught her being (I think pretty much) her candid self on Adam Carolla’s radio show. She’s quick and smart and funny and warm and delightful and has all the substance of marzipan.
Listen to her speak her mind and she seems closer to 20 years of age than 40 but in fact 40 is coming up on her in a hurry.

Stephen M on March 8, 2007 at 4:37 PM

If it is the Judeo-Christian God, I wonder what person of the Trinity she was sleeping with? And for the record, I’m offended.

archon2001 on March 8, 2007 at 4:48 PM

I think we have finally gotten to the point where comedians can no longer be “edgy” or “push the envelope.” They tore open the envelope long ago. Movies like “American Pie” and comedians like Carlos Mencia cross every line and offend every religion and person. Remember the Comedy Central special at Chrismas called “merry F**king Christmas?” Nothing is sacred. But nothing is funny either.

Shock comedy just isn’t shocking (or funny) anymore imo.

Rightwingsparkle on March 8, 2007 at 4:59 PM

Christophobia.

Matticus Finch on March 8, 2007 at 1:18 PM

Brilliant!

budorob on March 8, 2007 at 5:01 PM

No way I’ll argue the merits of offense over this. It all depends on what you believe in.
That being said, if you’re offended by this, how in the world do you take South Park?

SouthernDem on March 8, 2007 at 5:09 PM

Another Borscht Belt sit-com that most won’t think is funny.

I’m sure her Uncle is in the business.

Bob on March 8, 2007 at 5:24 PM

SouthernDem on March 8, 2007 at 5:09 PM

If you can’t tell the difference, then no explanation will help.

naliaka on March 8, 2007 at 5:27 PM

Sorry – the hotness of Sarah Silverman blinds me to any political arguments. It also (probably) makes her more funny than she really is.

But

She is so hot

uptight on March 8, 2007 at 5:44 PM

Perhaps this will help, not all South Park’s work scores, some falls flat. They just don’t have that “look at me being over-the-top” attitude. Emphasis on the “look at me me me”

naliaka on March 8, 2007 at 5:47 PM

I am fairly certain that false-deities everywhere are OUTRAGED!

After all, it’s mostly the followers of false-deities that watch this kind of garbage on television anyhow. Like some of the others here, my television is either on FoxNews or the History channel — or it is turned off.

CyberCipher on March 8, 2007 at 8:18 PM

That was not funny, no where near funny. It showed she’s NC NO CLASS! Haven’t watched her show and now I wouldn’t waste my time. I would rather get a Paps smere, get a root cannal, have my legs waxed, or even be in a room listening to fingernails on a chalk board.

ChrisIansNana on March 8, 2007 at 8:45 PM

I think she’s funny. He’s not the real God. He’s an actor playing God in a skit. You’re telling me George Burns was more respectable to our holiness?

Griz on March 8, 2007 at 9:08 PM

Im outraged, Im going to burn some toast!

Viper1 on March 8, 2007 at 12:13 PM

Perhaps the burnt image will be of God relaxing with a cigarette…

infidel4life on March 8, 2007 at 10:39 PM

Who the frack is Sarah Silverman?

wccawa on March 8, 2007 at 10:51 PM

I watched–and I noted that Ann Coulter scooped her with the use of “Faggot”.

Ann was more clever, more meaningful, and more relevant–not to mention more funny.

hehehe