Video: Roger Ailes toasts liberals at press dinner

posted at 11:41 pm on March 8, 2007 by Ian

What’s better than speaking truth to power? Speaking truth to power on their home turf. Fox News Chairman Roger Ailes spoke at the Radio-Television News Directors Association awards ceremony where he was one of the recipients for the First Amendment Award. From global warming to Hillary! to Obama to liberal media bias to his pro-American, pro-Israeli feelings, Ailes gave the press a good whooping.

Roger Ailes delivers a gem on democracies and fairness in reporting:

Only people who understand different points of view can exercise an informed decision in the voting booth. Freedom of the press did not invent democracy. Democracy invented freedom of the press. For saying that, I sometimes get accused of being too pro-American or too pro-Israeli. I just happen to like democracies. But it don’t mean we can’t cover the news fairly. Bias is not necessarily what you believe in, but it can be reporting a story and leaving out other people’s valid beliefs. The first amendment also guarantees freedom of speech, which is linked to another favorite word in today’s world, ‘diversity.’ But diversity is not just skin color, economic status, geography and religion. It is also diversity of thought.

The greatest danger to journalism is a newsroom or a profession where everyone thinks alike. Because then one wrong turn can cause an entire news division to implode. We must respect and encourage diversity of thought and speech in the newsroom.

TV Newser points out Ailes’ opinion on those who want to boycott debates:

This pressure must be resisted as it has been in the past. Any candidate for high office of either party who believes he can blacklist any news organization is making a terrible mistake about journalists. And any candidate of either party who cannot answer direct, simple, even tough questions from any journalist runs a real risk of losing the voters.

Earlier, Allah wrote about Fox News caving in to the nutroots.

Comments

Libs hate Fox not just because it leans to the right … but because it leans to the right AND is kickin’ lefty CNN’s ass!

Tony737 on March 8, 2007 at 11:49 PM

Wow. Really inspiring words. Someone should give that man an AM radio talk show. Er…

Savage on March 8, 2007 at 11:55 PM

In confession, this is the first time I have ever heard Fox News Chairman Roger Ailes speak……….

All I have to say is……….. “Amen”!

PinkyBigglesworth on March 9, 2007 at 12:10 AM

Does anyone happen to know CSPAN’s re-broadcasting schedule of this event?

kevcad on March 9, 2007 at 12:12 AM

Standing ovation, much deserved.

Kevin M on March 9, 2007 at 12:40 AM

I love the semi-tepid applause. What a great speech.

Spassvogel on March 9, 2007 at 12:42 AM

I’m impressed. I still won’t watch Fox News or any other TV news on a regular basis (the only time I do is from links here usually) but I definitely respect what he said and agree with it.

Benaiah on March 9, 2007 at 12:42 AM

If I wasn’t a fan before, I certainly am now.

- The Cat

P.S. I was a fan before.

MirCat on March 9, 2007 at 1:35 AM

Awesome!

hadsil on March 9, 2007 at 3:54 AM

Like a 4 Star Chef carving a perfect prime rib roast.

DoctorDentons on March 9, 2007 at 6:25 AM

wow.

ctmom on March 9, 2007 at 7:32 AM

I’ve also never heard him speak. The jokes were….. tepid at best, but his discussion of the First Amendment and what it means to him was very good.

I’m impressed.

Mortis on March 9, 2007 at 7:38 AM

What the liberal anti-fox news crowd fails to understand is the fundamental idea that Americans are given choices. Sadly, they have the same problem with stay-at-home Moms.

Having a choice is better then no choice at all.

budorob on March 9, 2007 at 10:14 AM

Tony737 on March 8, 2007 at 11:49 PM

Wrong. Liberals hate FOX because it is balanced. It doesn’t lean far enough left. From the perspective of the rest of the media, it appears that FOX leans right but that is a skewed perspective.

Troy Rasmussen on March 9, 2007 at 11:17 AM

Most of his jokes were lame, except the one about France, but his speech about the rights expressed in the Constitution was very inspiring.

Imagine a world without America…
If that were to happen, God help the world

No truer words have been spoken in years.

RedinBlueCounty on March 9, 2007 at 11:26 AM

Roger Ailes appears to have a very keen sense of what “fair and balanced” really is in news reporting. I would like to hear more of his views.

I like his sense of humor. I especially liked the joke about Bill Clinton encourage to campaign on the road for the next 2 years ….

omegaram on March 9, 2007 at 4:03 PM

I have never seen him or heard him speak before. My reaction is what a great speech! And this is the man behind the curtain that libs think is running an evil propoganda machine? LOL

Resolute on March 9, 2007 at 8:09 PM

It’s blatantly obvious that the Democratic Party is controlled by radical, militant liberals including moveon.org. This is no longer two party politics . . . it’s all out war.

rplat on March 9, 2007 at 8:33 PM

Joking about Obama being a terrorist. Can you get any more funny?!

Nonfactor on March 10, 2007 at 2:18 PM