Outspoken anti-Bush patriot martyred by sniper’s bullet

posted at 1:03 pm on March 7, 2007 by Allahpundit

It’s part of Marvel’s stupid “Civil War” series, which takes on terrorism and Arab dictatorship by having superheroes fight amongst themselves over a government anti-secret-identity law. Captain America naturally leads the dissenters, thereby validating left-leaning nerd fantasies about who the real patriots are and the Resistance they’re all sure they’re part of.

And just as naturally, he’s marked for death:

[Marvel Editor-in-Chief Joe] Quesada said he wanted to readers find [sic] their own meaning in Cap’s end.

“There is a lot to be read in there. But I’m not one who is going to tell people, this is what you should read into it, because I could look into it and read several different types of messages,” he told CNN.

The head writer, Mark Millar, wrote an alternate-history graphic novel in 2003 that imagined what Superman would have been like if he had crash-landed in the Soviet Union instead of Smallville. No joke. From an interview in 2004:

I was fortunate enough to have pitched this idea in a period when America still believed in freedom of speech. This isn’t a slight at the publishers in any way because they gave me no resistance whatsoever, but it’s clear that something like this would be a harder sell in the perpetual state of war and fear that’s been engineered in the States by the un-elected junta sitting in the Oval Office…

Like the Bush administration, Superman absolutely believes he’s doing the right thing when he steamrollers over all these weaker states and enforces a global ideology on the human population. However, we as the reader get nervous at the blurred lines between his utopia and the totalitarian state we see in the book, and which we seem to be heading for in real life as the US constitution is torn up before our eyes.

Interviewed yesterday by UPI for why Marvel would kill off a beloved character, here’s what another “Civil War” writer had to say. Consider this your quote of the day:

Series writer Ed Brubaker, 40, said he wanted to explore what the hero meant to the country.

“What I found is that all the really hardcore left-wing fans want Cap to be standing out on and giving speeches on the street corner against the Bush administration and all the really right-wing (fans) all want him to be over in the streets of Baghdad, punching out Saddam,” Brubaker said.

He will not be missed.

Exit question: What are the odds that Cap’s assassin will turn out to be a hitman commissioned by a president with strangely chimp-like features?

Update: Via Niko K., we need a lot less Millar and a lot more Miller: “Patriotism, I now believe, isn’t some sentimental, old, conceit. It’s self-preservation. I believe patriotism is central to a nation’s survival.”

Comments

An angry a defiant wonder woman was seen leaving the area in her invisible jet

EricPWJohnson on March 7, 2007 at 1:09 PM

Well the assasinination was planned out by the red skull, Cap’s old nazi arch nemesis. The assassin is crossbones. Not only is he sniped he gets shot in the gut by someone else in the ensuing chaos.

I’m such a nerd.

JVelez on March 7, 2007 at 1:12 PM

What a big friggin surprise. Same old liberals – fight amongst ourselves and ignore all outside threats (because the only real threat is here, and his name is B*U*S*H).

Rick on March 7, 2007 at 1:16 PM

Oh, man…that’s just parody.

I was never a big Cap fan. I’m tired of the increasing moonbattery of comics, though.

Guess I’ll have to go home and read “Hush” again to get rid of the bad taste of Millar’s interview.

Slublog on March 7, 2007 at 1:18 PM

Who is more evil, BUSH or Lex Luther?

Rick on March 7, 2007 at 1:18 PM

Well, stuff like this is makes me more psyched to see Frank Miller’s 300.

JVelez on March 7, 2007 at 1:19 PM

Now the moonbats have taken over the comics and preaching to be about Bush through them?

Will it ever end?

ManInBlack on March 7, 2007 at 1:20 PM

Who is more evil, BUSH or Lex Luther?

Well Bush is. Lex Luthor is displayted in one comic series as a sympathetic character that reasons his evil actions by stating that Superman is an alien that at any time can destroy the human race.

Bush has no excuses… he just is

JVelez on March 7, 2007 at 1:22 PM

” a president with strangely chimp-like features?”

As I understand it, the president in the Marvel “universe” is explictly George W. Bush.

Alex K on March 7, 2007 at 1:22 PM

The “Hush” story is awesome.

JVelez on March 7, 2007 at 1:22 PM

btw, Neil Gaiman wrote a series for Marvel a couple years ago called “1602.” It was about Marvel superheroes recast in Elizabethen England…and he still managed to make it end up being about Captain America vs. Bushitler. It turned out at the end that Captain America had traveled back in time to Elizabethan England because somehow that was the only way to save America from what Bush was doing to it.

Alex K on March 7, 2007 at 1:24 PM

The “Hush” story is awesome.

Yeah…I wish more writers were like Loeb. Simply tell the story, throw in a few fun twists and entertain. I’m glad that “Heroes” has been so successful for him.

Slublog on March 7, 2007 at 1:25 PM

Rest in Peace, Captain America……..

PinkyBigglesworth on March 7, 2007 at 1:25 PM

If I were a kid growing up in today’s world, seeking to retreat within the pages of a comic book for some adventure and excitement, I’d be pretty god damn resentful that a bunch of idiots had invaded the fantastical superhero world I loved to preach to me about politics.

Is nothing sacred?

World B. Free on March 7, 2007 at 1:25 PM

Again …, someone publicly speaking out about how their freedom of speech has been taken from them.

yo on March 7, 2007 at 1:27 PM

Oh, and …

by the un-elected junta sitting in the Oval Office…

Doesn’t he mean TWICE un-elected .. ?

yo on March 7, 2007 at 1:28 PM

when America still believed in freedom of speech.

Well isn’t that just precious. It’s funny how all of those whining about their lack of speech freedom usually do it in a national forum.

KelliD on March 7, 2007 at 1:30 PM

Captain America has been dead for years. He is a gay symbol in London for goodness sakes.

Mark Millar’s anti-Bush fantasy comic got it wrong. When right leaning people read his story the get the exact opposite of what he is trying to imply. I liked the comic and thought it made a great statement against communisn not Bush. When Bush’s politcal opponents and critics start dying with Putin/Egyptian/Korean like regularity then Millar will have a point until then it is just left wing fantasy. Kook.

Theworldisnotenough on March 7, 2007 at 1:32 PM

why is it that the ones “losing freedom of speech” always happen to be the ones screeching the loudest?

Lehosh on March 7, 2007 at 1:34 PM

Typical moonbat–whining about repression while suffering no restriction whatsoever on his speech. Ah, the bravery of the Left.

They couldn’t kill off patriotism in reality, so they settled for doing it symbolically. I’m a big fan of Captain America, but I haven’t read the book in years because I couldn’t stand to watch liberal writers ruin a character that they clearly had no understanding of.

ReubenJCogburn on March 7, 2007 at 1:37 PM

It’s a valid point. Red Skull is portrayed as a terrorist, so there is no point in killin Cap if Cap is portrayed as a lib. He killed Cap because he hates Cap. And we know that libs and terrorists work side by side…..

JVelez on March 7, 2007 at 1:37 PM

You mean Hugo Chavez? He’s an orangutang, not a chimp, there is a modicum of intelligence there, somewhere.

Kini on March 7, 2007 at 1:37 PM

My friend John from high school was the artist for John Ney Rieber’s post-9/11 Captain America series. The art was awesome but the story was generic Truther military-industry complex garbage.

It’s much worse than the ill-conceived Liberality comics but not by much.

ScottMcC on March 7, 2007 at 1:38 PM

It doesnt matter anyway because Hulk is comming back and will crush them all…..

JVelez on March 7, 2007 at 1:39 PM

Mark Millar fights against hte loss of freedom of speech by doing this.

btw Jvelez; red skull was a nazi super scientist/terrorist but that’s back when Cap was fighting in WWII. When they by and large revitalized Cap in hte 2000s you could tell Marvel really didn’t know what it was doing because your dealing with a wildly patriotic hero from the 40s and that patriotism is ‘not cool’ and ‘fascist like’ to liberals.

Defector01 on March 7, 2007 at 1:42 PM

An angry a defiant wonder woman was seen leaving the area in her invisible jet

EricPWJohnson on March 7, 2007 at 1:09 PM

She lives in the DC Universe, not Marvel.

But I did watch a “Justice League Unlimitted” cartoon where she headed a conference on Global Warming. You just can’t brainwash teach them early enough.

But as to the story line, I just don’t get it. Liberals are worried that their freedoms will be trambled on, so we have the judicial system, which ensures searches and arrests are lawful. But with masked vigilantes, all of those procedures are completely bipassed.

Why would a lib oppose holding these superheroes up to some accountability?

Esthier on March 7, 2007 at 2:03 PM

Ditto. I seem to remember when, in the late 60s early 70s, Marvel tried to inject some “peace movement” into Spider Man. I was more interested in seeing him dueling with the Goblin and chasing Mary Jane then any political content. I am glad Marvel has had the good sense to keep the politics out of their movies and still leave them as escapist fantasies.

Mallard T. Drake on March 7, 2007 at 2:04 PM

We are talking about a comic book . . . right????
It seems some folks have really created an alternative universe and have completely immersed themselves in it.
To borrow a catch phrase from another company, Live in your world but play in ours.
Of course it is important to remember which is which.
Sheesh.
If only Shakespeare had used the comic book medium, maybe Hamlet would have more popularity.

LakeRuins on March 7, 2007 at 2:09 PM

I love hearing something like this. Uh, if we don’t have freedom of speech, how is it he got away with saying this?

dalewalt on March 7, 2007 at 2:12 PM

BOOSH!!!

georgej on March 7, 2007 at 2:24 PM

dalewalt on March 7, 2007 at 2:12 PM

Jackbooted thugs kicked the door in just seconds after the writer of the article hit ‘Send’. Oh, wait–no they didn’t, because none of the people screaming about repression have been repressed in any way. Talk about your alternate realities. The only thugs currently curtailing freedom of speech are on the Left.

ReubenJCogburn on March 7, 2007 at 2:26 PM

No problem.

It’s pure fantasy.

Like Hollywood.

Who cares?

fogw on March 7, 2007 at 2:40 PM

“He will not be missed.” ???

I have it on good authority that CA, like many others who cross the lefty meme generators, is fed up with writers putting words in his mouth and has threatened to go independent.

They have to kill CA off before their meme is compromised and victory slips from their grasp.

Okay, I admit my authority is Quesada’s “There is a lot to be read in there”. It may be fake, but it’s still accurate.

Dusty on March 7, 2007 at 3:15 PM

We saw this ending before in “Bullworth.”

Yawn.

Anton on March 7, 2007 at 3:27 PM

My, are these people self absorbed in their brand of righteous indignation!

No freedom of speech here in the United States?

Last I looked, I saw plenty of outrage, protests, and condemnation of our president, our vice president, our soldiers, our country, Christians, Jews, conservatives, and on and on, mostly by leftists-liberals like Cindy Sheehan, Bill Maher, Michael Moore, Alec Baldwin, Rosie O’Donnel, the Dixie Chicks, Hollywood celebrities, music industry celebrities, and on and on.

These people are not censored or muzzled! On the contrary, they are praised and raised up on pedestals!

Last I looked, Rosie O’Donnel is still spewing her hate and rhetoric on “The View” and elsewhere.

Last I looked, Alec Baldwin still appears on David Letterman, Jay Leno, and others’ programs, and still appears on various television shows and movies.

Last I looked the Dixie Chicks are still making records and winning Grammies.

Last I looked, Cindy Sheehan is still out there running around with bad people and drumming up hatred against the US and the military, including drumming up hatred her son’s surviving comrades. She is not silenced, or arrested and in prison somewhere, never to be seen or heard from again.

Last I looked, Bill Maher still shoots off his mouth, spewing his venom and vitriol in “Real Time with Bill Maher” on HBO, and he still makes guest appearances, and spews his venom, on The Late Show, the Tonight Show, O’Reilly Factor, and so on. He has not had HIS free speech stifled.

Last I looked not one of them were silenced by either the US government, including the president or anyone else of his staff or administration. Last I looked not one of them were silenced by conservative citizens holding a different point of view. Last I looked none of them were assassinated, incarcerated for their “speech,” even when that “speech” included calls to assassinate our president, vice president, and other person on his administration and staff, and none were incarcerated or censored for calling for the destruction and defeat of our brave US military personnel, our soldiers.

Instead of leftists-liberals being silenced, I see and hear their pabulum every day on television, in the movies, in the news papers and magazines, and in online blog sites.

No, the left-liberal whiners make up their own news, accusing nonexistent attackers of censoring them and stifling their freedoms and liberties.

Pure nonsense!

William

William2006 on March 7, 2007 at 3:33 PM

There are just some symbols who should be left alone…

Whats next?? The Haunted Tank being run by Iranians?

Sgt. Rock going Islamic?

Romeo13 on March 7, 2007 at 3:35 PM

Upon further research, Millar isn’t an American. He’s Scottish. Granted, if ain’t Scottish, it’s crap and all; but, I’m not sure how I feel about a Scot knockin’ off Captain America.

BTW – whatever happened to Bucky? Is he still dead?

yo on March 7, 2007 at 3:47 PM

Pure nonsense!

William

William2006 on March 7, 2007 at 3:33 PM

Last I looked, it’s when Conservatives voice their opinions based on facts and not lies and hysterical emotion that the left-liberal whiners say is surpressing THEIR speech……

PinkyBigglesworth on March 7, 2007 at 3:48 PM

BTW – whatever happened to Bucky? Is he still dead?

No. He is now known as Winter Soldier. He had a plan to rescue CA before the trial but was shot by Crossbones (CA’s assasin) leading to CA’s death.

JVelez on March 7, 2007 at 3:52 PM

I liken it to the anti-Bush, pro-global warming scientist who was screaming that he was being repressed and forced to keep quite about global warming. He was so repressed and censored he had to publish three books, about 20 articles in all the major mags, and do a complete tour of the talk show circuit telling everyone how he was being repressed and censored.

Meanwhile, in the real world, leftist “politcal correctness” and “speech codes” have done far more to repress and censor than anything the government has done.

Faith1 on March 7, 2007 at 3:53 PM

You are kidding? They called him “Winter Soldier”….jeeez, just how communist can you get?

Faith1 on March 7, 2007 at 3:54 PM

JVelez on March 7, 2007 at 3:52 PM

Winter Soldier? Are you kidding me?

Thanks for the update. Wonder if the Dem’s take the White House, if Cap’ll come back.

yo on March 7, 2007 at 3:55 PM

Well I could be wrong but Bucky was assumed dead, he was actually saved by the Russian Intel. With no memory of his life as Bucky, they gave him a cyber arm and he was a hitman for the russians. He fought CA and CA had some cosmic ray that showed WS all his old memories. He is actually a pretty bad ass character.

JVelez on March 7, 2007 at 4:00 PM

By the way,

There is another version of Captain America known as Ultimate. This CA is more conservative then this one that died……

JVelez on March 7, 2007 at 4:10 PM

There is another version of Captain America known as Ultimate

Steve Rogers is the only real Cap, though (I’m showing my dormant geek side, now).

yo on March 7, 2007 at 4:12 PM

Comis Book Heroes never die… They just come back when overall sales are down.

Once Jack Kirby stopped drawing Captain America, I lost all interest in the Marvel hero. Marvel hit their high points with Jim Steranko drawing Nick Fury and his Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and Frank Miller’s Daredevil and Elektra.

Overall, DC has much better artists, characters and stories.

Jack.

Jack Deth on March 7, 2007 at 4:30 PM

Huh? When did Capt. A. turn into a whiney liberal putz? Only in a lefty nerd fantasy world.

Tony737 on March 7, 2007 at 4:30 PM

Keep in mind that Millar is a Scotsman, and what little cognitive function he was born with has been hopelessly impeded by drink.

Jim Treacher on March 7, 2007 at 4:30 PM

D’OH!!!

Should be “Comic Book Heroes never die…”

Jack.

Jack Deth on March 7, 2007 at 4:31 PM

Captain America has been a left wing mouthpiece for about forty years. He absolutely turned his back on America during the Vietnam War, going as far as giving up the moniker “Captain America” out of disgust for his country’s leaders. The Punisher, Frank Castle, was a patriotic, moral Vietnam Veteran, who supported the war and was willing to go to any length to make sure evil men got what was coming to them. What kind of wacky shenanigans happened when the two met?

Badam, indeed.

Savage on March 7, 2007 at 4:55 PM

yo on March 7, 2007 at 4:12 PM

No, Ultimate is a line of comics that reboots all of the marvel characters. Spider-Man, Iron Man, Captain America, Punisher, etc. Its still Steve, but he’s more a WWII patriotic soldier than a liberal putz, like the Steve Rogers who died. Think of Ultimate as existing in an alternate universe where Marvel has good writers.

Savage on March 7, 2007 at 4:58 PM

Savage,

I forgot about the Vietnam Cap. You’re right. As for the Ultimate(s), yeah … I looked it up, thanks for the heads up. Though, I noticed in the Marvel Universe dossier for Cap, Steve Rogers is listed as being a fine art student prior to taking the serum. Imagine using that today. Super-charged hippies with the patchuli shields.

yo on March 7, 2007 at 5:07 PM

Yes, the Ultimates line Cap is actually a pretty good character. The “mainstream” Cap has been on the verge of changing his costume color to pink and hooking up with Cindy Sheehan for a while now.

Most of the characters in Comics (Marvel, at any rate), have long been illustrative of a fundamental principle of bad writing: They’re written as projections of the writer’s beliefs and values, rather than as people with beliefs and values of their own. When virtually all the writers are radical leftists, and lack the ability to divorce the process of crafting a good story from the act of voicing one’s irrelevant political views (another fundamental of bad writing), you get unreadable trash.

Blacklake on March 7, 2007 at 6:02 PM

Is Iron Man a lib too? I’ve been out of the comic book loop for a while.

Rick on March 7, 2007 at 6:11 PM

Tony737 on March 7, 2007 at 4:30 PM

Wouldn’t that be a “faggoty” liberal putz?

csdeven on March 7, 2007 at 6:15 PM

csdeven, as Henry Jones Sr. once said to Henry Jones Jr., “Indiana… Let it go.”

Is Iron Man a lib too? I’ve been out of the comic book loop for a while.

Rick on March 7, 2007 at 6:11 PM

Iron Man is as red state as Mom’s apple pie, the statue of liberty, and the Bushitler’s friends at Haliburton.

Savage on March 7, 2007 at 6:56 PM

csdeven, as Henry Jones Sr. once said to Henry Jones Jr., “Indiana… Let it go.”

Yeah, I figured it out in a different thread that word has been censored.

csdeven on March 7, 2007 at 7:21 PM

Captain America is dead? So much for superheros. This is a lot like “Who Shot J.R.? Just another ploy to raise viewership. I don’t doubt that somewhere in a future issue Captain America wakes up and realizes that it’s all been a bad dream, sometime after a Democrat is elected as President. Ok, make that a FAR future issue.

BTW, I vote for Sheena, Queen of the (concrete) Jungle as a replacement for Captain America. Just as long as their isn’t a thing between her and Super Woman, that is.

RedinBlueCounty on March 7, 2007 at 8:41 PM

Hey! You got your politics in my comics!
LOL at all of you. Rather

with

you I should say. I saw this post this morning and had to wait til I had time to read my issue. I’m surprised there are this many comic geeks here!
To be honest, I didn’t like Civil War as a whole and it wasn’t because of politics or the such. Actually, I had no idea about Millar’s (or F. Miller’s) politics and really don’t care. I read comics for entertainment and art appreciation, not to be reminded of real world political struggles.
The Registration idea was actually pretty interesting and balanced for both sides p.o.v. The big problem was crappy writing and delays, not to mention superheroes acting completely out of character.
At least the Hulk doesn’t have political affiliation, Hulk just smash.

SouthernDem on March 7, 2007 at 8:45 PM

er…*with*

SouthernDem on March 7, 2007 at 8:46 PM

Is nothing sacred?

World B. Free on March 7, 2007 at 1:25 PM

Not anymore. Don’t forget there’s a war on all that is.

Connie on March 7, 2007 at 8:52 PM

Whenever these types whine about their freedom of speech, what they mean is they want to be PAID not to entertain, but to proslytize for the left. Screw the audience that made them a success. They want to belong to the entertainment elite self congratulation society. Like the ditsy chicks.

Buck Turgidson on March 7, 2007 at 9:06 PM

Imagine using that today. Super-charged hippies with the patchuli shields.

BWAHAHA!!

Theworldisnotenough on March 7, 2007 at 9:28 PM

Paranoia is the last refuge of the unimaginative.

With Putin polonium poisoning and literally shooting down dissenters in the streets, with Theo Van Gogh being slaughtered in the most liberal city on Earth by a homegrown Mohammedan, with the sectarian lunacies of inter-Islam massacres in Iraq and Algeria, with Christian schoolgirls and Buddhist rubber-tappers being beheaded in SE Asia by Muslim “militants”, with Iran looking to perform the final Holocaust on the Jews, with Sudden-Jihad-Syndrome being pooh-poohed away in American mall and college campus attacks, these daring cultural critics are worrying (just as the dopey “revolutionary” delusionalists in the 1960′s worried about the secret concentration camps being built for the hippies) about the non-existent threat to their non-threatened liberties at home. (My God, they’re know what library books I’ve checked out! To arms!)

It is so much easier to kick your tame guard dog (Bushitler)than yell at the pit bulls (Islamic Imperialist terrorists) next door who will eat your face if you rile them up.

Cowardice, thy name is cartoonist.

(Except in Denmark. *~@):~{>)

profitsbeard on March 7, 2007 at 9:32 PM

Now the real thing had showed up. The real thing murdered my neighbors. In my city. In my country.” Miller adds, “Patriotism, I now believe, isn’t some sentimental, old, conceit. It’s self-preservation. I believe patriotism is central to a nation’s survival

Frank Miller essay on what happened on 9/11 and his newfound patriotism – good on you FM, and you Niko. Where are you?

Keep in mind that Millar is a Scotsman, and what little cognitive function he was born with has been hopelessly impeded by cheap drink.

Jim Treacher on March 7, 2007 at 4:30 PM

Added ‘cheap’ for emphasis. Cheap impedes more effectively and is so, well, so Scottish. I do have good Scottish friends – Scotsmen, don’t get mad.

Entelechy on March 7, 2007 at 9:56 PM

Millar is a total moron. People say he’s “edgy” and “controversial” which of course are code words for “teen sex” and “communism” The story about his teen sex comic seems to have been edited out of his wikipedia entry.

When Marvel hired him, I bought my last comic.

The Marvel Civil war is one of the most ill conceived things ever. When it first started, they marketed it as two equal sides, but it was clear that they were always stacking the deck in the “anti-registration” camp’s favor. I thought I read that they set it in the present and referred to President Bush by name.

If you want a good summation of how comics have been ruined by tools like Millar…read these pages from the new Captain America:

Spassvogel on March 7, 2007 at 10:38 PM

Except for Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 2 #36, I haven’t read a marvel comic book in over 15 years.

They simply suck when compared to Japanese Manga (Naruto, Bleach, etc) or AMERICAN Manga (Fred Perry’s “Gold Digger” series for example.)

Jones Zemkophill on March 7, 2007 at 11:18 PM

THRILL! As Captain America… gives a newspaper interview??

Jim Treacher on March 7, 2007 at 11:30 PM

The key is to *read* the interview. It’s such rubbish. It was from Civil War: Frontline or something.

Spassvogel on March 7, 2007 at 11:49 PM

A few years ago there was an alternate Captain America who was black because “in those days” the government would experiment with drugs on black people rather than risk killing or otherwise maiming a white man. The series was entitled “Truth”.

hadsil on March 8, 2007 at 3:23 AM

…when he steamrollers over all these weaker states and enforces a global ideology on the human population.

Ideally, I guess, what we expect of ourselves as U.S. citizens would apply equally to the human population. So everyone would hate their own countries and idealize the others…all of us thus living in a perpetual state of self-hatred and nihilism.

Like the Kos Kidz.

saint kansas on March 8, 2007 at 5:15 AM

The “Hush” story is awesome.

Slublog on March 7, 2007 at 1:25 PM

Dear God no. Loeb is a hack, an awful horrible hack and Hush is terrible. Brubaker btw is insanely talented and his quote isn’t that controversial. lefties and righties both have different ideas about Cap. He just pointed that out. Millar is a f*cktard tho.

coondawg on March 8, 2007 at 8:00 AM

and btw : Millar may be a commie douche, but in his mind cap was insane for fighting against the govt expansion that iron man supported. Ironman won the civil war, the registration is popular with the people and is the law of the land now. Of course Millar supported the big govt view.

(/total geekitude>

coondawg on March 8, 2007 at 8:03 AM

Hmmmm. What a sad end for the LIVING LEGEND OF WORLD WAR II.

I guesss its up to Michelle AND ourselves to save us.

Where is HAWKEYE when you need him?

The False Dervish on March 8, 2007 at 10:35 AM

It doesnt matter anyway because Hulk is comming back and will crush them all…..

JVelez on March 7, 2007 at 1:39 PM

Actually, JVelez I think you mean, “Hulk SMASH!!!”

Mt

Mistahtibbs on March 8, 2007 at 11:04 AM

Geek Credentials showing here:

Millar comes from the same school of writing as Warren Ellis: there are no such things as real heroes; the US is the font of all evil and G. W. Bush is evil incarnate. All you have to do to see that is to read his run on Authority where he portrays an alternate Avengers group with the Cap figure being a serial rapist and where prior to that the Authority took over the world, delivering a humiliating beating to the President. Millar’s run in Ultimates is much the same. Someone of Cap’s mode is diametrically the opposite to everything Millar supports and believes in. Millar is very much a nihilist in outlook and you can see that in his books.

Brubaker’s run on Cap has actually been a very good run–he’s done a good job with Steve Rogers, making him a very sympathetic and three dimensional character that people from both Right and Left can identify with.

Loeb’s by no means a hack–he’s done excellent work with Heroes and has done good work elsewhere.

There are other good writers who are either relatively apolitical or lean towards the right: Frank Miller is an excellent example of a fairly conservative writer; Kurt Busiek is for the most part apolitical and had an excellent run with Avengers and portrays a good Cap and Hawkeye.

As for Hawkeye: I have a feeling Clint will be turning up soon.

Matt Helm on March 8, 2007 at 11:27 AM

The key is to *read* the interview.

The key is, why is Captain America sitting around talking to journalists when he should be throwing his shield into somebody’s face?

Jim Treacher on March 8, 2007 at 12:42 PM

we will have to disagree. heroes is by no means excellent, its slightly better than avg, and the first dozen episodes were below that. loeb’s long Halloween was ok until the end, a mystery with a hack ending. other than man for all seasons, he has done nothing else that was worth reading.

i am such a fan boy.

coondawg on March 8, 2007 at 12:55 PM

Allahpundit, for a moment I thought you might’ve meant that Ed Brubaker was leaving the book and wouldn’t be missed, but now it looks to me as though you’re saying that Steve Rogers won’t be missed. Dude, Steve Rogers is a totally fictional character, and it’s not his fault if he’s being turned into an anti-war puppet. If I were you, I’d be calling out for some kind of support to get Marvel to cut out the moonbattery and their abuse of Cap.

And by the way, I know that the Ultimate Capt. America may be characterized more right-wing than how the regular Cap is, probably the sole good thing about the Ultimates title, but it’s not some carbon copy I want being depicted as a rightie, it’s the *real* thing that I do. Besides, if memory serves, Millar, who’s written that book, regurgitated one of the most notorious stories in all of Marvel history, that being the time when Hank Pym smacked his ex-wife Janet VanDyne in The Avengers in 1981. Pure sensationalism.

While we’re on the subject, I’d like to note that, while it’s true that Marvel is submerging itself in leftism, don’t think that DC Comics is any better. They may not have gone off the brink as quickly as Marvel did in recent years when putting out anti-American crap (most notorious would probably be “The Truth: Red White and Black” miniseries), but what’s really disturbing about how DC went about cooking up Chomskyite propaganda is that they used a much more subtle, allegorical/metaphorical approach: in 2004, they put out a miniseries called Identity Crisis. Take a look at this entry I wrote on my comics blog almost two years ago. What was really disturbing about the article I took apart then was just how dishonest it all was. The real story behind the miniseries besides the one-sided misogyny that it was chock full of was that it was a metaphor for blaming America/the victims propaganda.

While I appreciate the concern you all have for what Marvel and Mark Millar are doing, I’m really surprised that I don’t seem to see more people talking about Identity Crisis. I realize that because in contrast to even Civil War, the political allegories may have less clear, some may have overlooked it on that account. But if you ask me, it’s still a serious subject, not just because of the leftist influence that it’s full of, but also because of the moonbat misogyny that even more evident throughout almost the entire miniseries. If any of the other comic experts here are familiar with “Identity Crisis” I’d be interested in knowing if you consider it a concerning matter. I do.

Avi Green on March 8, 2007 at 2:18 PM

On my part, I’ll admit I’m not up on what’s going on in the DC universe–I’ve always been more a Marvel fanboy. You’re right though, Millar did regurgitate the Hank and Jan storyline from 1981 in Ultimates–and I really disliked what Bendis did with Jan and Hawkeye in Avengers Disassembled–especially after all the hard work Busiek had done earlier in rehabilitating Hank Pym as well as reestablishing the Wasp as a leader and key Avenger during his run. As a fan of both characters, as well as Ms. Marvel, I’ve always considered Busiek’s run one of the best.

I’m interested in the misogyny angle in “Identity Crisis” though. During the summer when I get the time I need to see if I can borrow the trade paperback/paperbacks–I’m loathe to shell out the money if it’s as bad as you say it is.

Some elements of Civil War though have been pretty good. Believe it or not, I could see Reed Richards and Tony Stark taking the course of action they’re taking–let’s face it, Tony likes power and as for Reed, he does have a tendency to get so involved in his ivory tower that he runs the risk of losing touch with his humanity–that almost cost him his marriage way back when. As for Spiderman, Peter’s paying a price for letting Tony maneuver him into giving up his secret identity–and if the spoilers I’ve heard are right, the price is going to get even steeper.

But yes, to get back on topic, if you read Millar or Ellis or any of the others from that particular school, be prepared for a lot of cynicism and anti-American–definitely anti-conservative–messages.

Matt Helm on March 8, 2007 at 2:49 PM

As for Hawkeye: I have a feeling Clint will be turning up soon.

Matt Helm on March 8, 2007 at 11:27 AM

Thanks for the reassurance, Matt. I was beginning to get more paranoid than usual. Besides, it has been too long since I twanged MY bow and arrows.

The False Dervish on March 8, 2007 at 3:14 PM