More Inconvenient Weather: ‘Snow advisory’ issued on day of Congressional global warming hearing. Again.

posted at 10:41 am on March 7, 2007 by Ian

The Congressional hearing on global warming was postponed last month due to a snow storm that left the mid-Atlantic area blanketed in snow. Here are the details I wrote about in a post last month:

The Subcommittee on Energy and Air Quality hearing scheduled for Wednesday, February 14, 2007, at 10:00 a.m. in room 2123 Rayburn House Office Building has been postponed due to inclement weather. The hearing is entitled “Climate Change: Are Greenhouse Gas Emissions from Human Activities Contributing to a Warming of the Planet?”

The postponement landed the meeting on today’s schedule. And as if on cue…here comes the snow.

SNOW ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 PM EST FOR NORTHERN CENTRAL AND WESTERN MARYLAND…THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA NORTHERN AND NORTHWESTERN VIRGINIA…AND MUCH OF THE EASTERN WEST VIRGINIA PANHANDLE…

I live about 40 miles north of Washington, and it’s currently snowing with an inch or so already on the ground. It isn’t supposed to stop until mid-afternoon.

Al Gore effect, huh?

Update: Carbon offsets … for farts? Yep.

Comments

Hope Al paid his electric bill. He might get chilly and become more of a tight assed white man.

Wade on March 7, 2007 at 10:43 AM

This is great. Coincidence? God? I don’t know, but it’s hilarious. I forget, didn’t something happen like this a couple years ago to?

By the way, incase anyone can spare some change to help me pay my electric bill, this global warming has caused me to have the air conditioner on constantly… Hell, just yesterday up here in the tropics of Vermont it we had -30 windchills (yes, negative 30). It’s even hotter right now, it’s 1, with -8 windchill (all fahrenheit)

If these picture of us dying of heat up here doesn’t wake you deniers up, I don’t know what will!

RightWinged on March 7, 2007 at 10:48 AM

I guess too many people are buying their indulgences, causing the earth to cool at an alarming rate!

lorien1973 on March 7, 2007 at 10:48 AM

You really aren’t smart enough to understand that that is not snow, it is crystallized dihydrogen monoxide and it is a direct result of increased global climate change and you should be worried about it.

Worried enough to lift your blinders and sell your SUV.

benrand on March 7, 2007 at 10:51 AM

Let’s not forget the historic low temperatures in the midwest the same week that the IPCC produced their global warming report. I have a screen shot of the temperatures at my blog.

Nice!

lorien1973 on March 7, 2007 at 10:53 AM

God? I don’t know, but it’s hilarious.

I noted God’s sense of humor as well a few weeks ago. The Gore Effect must be real. Once is a coincidence, but it seems that every time there is a global warming(tm) conference during winter, it’s the coldest day EVER. That, if nothing else, also proves that God must exist. He gets a good chuckle now and again.

lorien1973 on March 7, 2007 at 10:55 AM

This would be so much funnier if flights out of Philly weren’t delayed because of the snow, thus endangering a speaking event I’m hosting on campus tonight.

That said, God obviously has a sense of humor. I can see Him up there, being like, “Global warming, eh?”

tiekitwist on March 7, 2007 at 10:55 AM

Hot, cold, rainy, snowy, whatever. Al Gore and his ilk will say all of it is because of global warming. It’s amazing how “convenient” it is to blame every weather condition on gw.

StephC on March 7, 2007 at 10:56 AM

God? I don’t know, but it’s hilarious.

I was thinking the same thing, too.

StephC on March 7, 2007 at 10:57 AM

But does God play dice with Al Gore?

dalewalt on March 7, 2007 at 10:57 AM

Al Gore. Inconvenient is his state of being.

naliaka on March 7, 2007 at 10:57 AM

Poor Algore. Perhaps the ultimate “supreme court” has ruled against him this time and sent the snow. Can we ask John Edwards if Jesus is messing with the weather?

Mallard T. Drake on March 7, 2007 at 10:58 AM

Poetic justice indeed. These kinds of cancellations seem to keep on happening this winter, don’t they? As for where I am, it’s snowing and colder than William Jefferson’s cash.

flutejpl on March 7, 2007 at 10:58 AM

Haha. Five posts nearly simultaneously making “god jokes” on Algore. Great minds………

Mallard T. Drake on March 7, 2007 at 11:00 AM

Ya know, I think their ‘climate change’ religion is trying to tell them something. Think they’ll listen?

Naaaaaaaaa… They’re so much smarter and wiser (and richer) than any deity could possibly be.

techno_barbarian on March 7, 2007 at 11:01 AM

Temperatures up north are lower this year than they have been in almost 60 years. Gotta love that global warming thang.

techno_barbarian on March 7, 2007 at 11:03 AM

I work as a research chemist in an industry that uses a lot of carbon dioxide. I also hate cold weather, so I make it a point to release the stuff whenever no one’s looking. Just trying to do my part.

RedWinged Blackbird on March 7, 2007 at 11:05 AM

You guys do realize that “science” won’t change their tune on global warming until there are a few years of data showing cooling, right? Few dare question the “science”, because they stand to lose funding and their jobs. This goes across many areas of “science”, but this is one of the bigger ones. What’s said is because of their “scientific authority” they’ve got most people buying their BS.

Luckily for them, when it becomes “global cooling” again in a handful of years, it will be a new generation that doesn’t remember the past decade of hysteria.

RightWinged on March 7, 2007 at 11:05 AM

… Oh, and incase you don’t think people could be fooled that easily, you needn’t look further than the 70s when “global cooling” alarmism was all the rage.

RightWinged on March 7, 2007 at 11:07 AM

I was behind the news cycle the last time that photo of Gore appeared, but it finally dawned on me this morning who he reminds me of in that particular pic:

Divine.

saint kansas on March 7, 2007 at 11:07 AM

I just went outside and touched the snow. I think this snow isn’t as cold as the snow that fell last year, it was slightly warmer. Don’t make fun of Algore.

It was at a Global Warming Conference in NYC. While Al was speaking at the podium, the wind chill outside was -14 degrees.

fogw on March 7, 2007 at 11:19 AM

I live… ooohhhhh let me see… about 10 miles west-southwest of DC, in Fairfax County, Virginia. It’s windy, damn cold, and we have a light dusting of snow on the ground.

I sure wish this global warming stuff would hurry up because I’m freezing to death here.

V5

V5 on March 7, 2007 at 11:35 AM

TechnoB,
I live up north (NH). I awoke to -15 this morning with a gentle breeze of 25-35 mph. It never went above zero here yesterday, I had steady balmy winds 35-45mph with gusts frequently over 50mph (high wind speed 68mph).
China just had the biggest snow storm in 50 years. Toronto just had the coldest February in 30 years. In Berlin, NH it was -29 this morning. There have been record snows and cold temps all over the Northeast. Spring starts officially in 13 days.
Gore and his useful idiots are full of more hot air than is emitted by all the bovine, hooved beasts west of the Mississippi.

mountainmanbob on March 7, 2007 at 12:03 PM

Yes, it’s definitely possible to extrapolate global weather patterns based on a couple of days worth of weather at one location.

Please. Global warming means the AVERAGE temperature across the globe increases – it does not mean there won’t be variability in some regions and locations.

Global warming IS happening – it’s been going on since the little Ice Age a few hundred years ago. What’s in dispute is what effect, if any, mankind’s activities have. No one knows for sure either way and anyone who claims to know is a liar.

If it turns out humans are responsible for significant warming, then we can always light off several dozen nukes to get a bit o’ nuclear winter going to counteract it.

NPP on March 7, 2007 at 12:09 PM

benrand on March 7, 2007 at 10:51 AM

So what would constitute indulgences, er, offsets for dihydrogen monoxide? Sponges?

ReubenJCogburn on March 7, 2007 at 12:10 PM

Carbon offsets … for farts? Yep.

Yikes! All I can say is my dog is going to bankrupt me…

taznar on March 7, 2007 at 12:26 PM

I know this. A “few hundred years ago” was long before the invention of the automobile, the industrial revolution, the discovery of electricity, etc., etc. I guess that narrows it down to cow farts.

RedWinged Blackbird on March 7, 2007 at 12:55 PM

A little more flatulence from the omnipotent one
That will warm things up a bit.
So cold your nose runs so you won’t sense the smell.

Kini on March 7, 2007 at 1:02 PM

Come to think of it, there probably weren’t that many cows around a few hundred years ago. Must’ve been buffalo farts. Good thing we ate most of those critters.

RedWinged Blackbird on March 7, 2007 at 1:04 PM

Yesterday morning here in NYC, we had the lowest temperature EVER recorded for a March 6th…11 degrees over here by the Hudson River. Today set another one, 13 degrees.

DoctorDentons on March 7, 2007 at 1:07 PM

I am currently having my 13 degrees and a snow storm. Bring on the global warming…

Babs on March 7, 2007 at 1:26 PM

I am so hacked off by the Global warming scam and this particular story… after the winter we’ve had in Denver this year, I seemed to have made it to work every day. Maybe big Al should rent some SUV’s, buy some offsets and not take a day off on our dime…?

fulhamfc on March 7, 2007 at 1:29 PM

But does God play dice with Al Gore?

dalewalt

Al Gore is what happens when God needs a hard eight and he rolls snake eyes

Defector01 on March 7, 2007 at 1:53 PM

lorien1973 on March 7, 2007 at 10:48 AM

Props for your brilliant observation. Indulgences…heh.

tikvah on March 7, 2007 at 1:57 PM

If our planetary straits are so dire, and these Gulfstream Liberals so rich, why stop at carbon neutrality? Why not pick up all the po’ folks’ slack and buy offsets for them as well?

Oh, forgot. ‘Cause then you can’t hector all the proles about their wasteful lifestyles. Ahhh, modern day indulgences.

Cuffy Meigs on March 7, 2007 at 2:14 PM

Algore couldn’t make it because an iceberg fell on his head.

JackM on March 7, 2007 at 2:17 PM

No, no that won’t help. Nukes are responsible for global cooling. Remember that cooling period that had us almost ready to spread ashes on the North Pole to keep them warmer? This massive cooling trend was from 1946 to 1974, which proves that it was the nukes we dropped on Japan that caused global cooling. There was a slight uptick beginning around 1960, but that ended in 68-69 as the global cooling trend was re-established by all those hippies and the Summer of Love thingy. If you haven’t seen it the graphic is up on Glenn Beck’s web-site at http://www.glennbeck.com/2006news/newsweek-coolingworld.pdf

smellthecoffee on March 7, 2007 at 2:24 PM

Here’s a thought. It’s 69 and partly cloudy here in Nashville. Maybe Congress can charter some Hybrid buses and hold the meeting at Al’s place. Belle Meade’s nice this time of year.

SPIFF1669 on March 7, 2007 at 2:30 PM

Ouch! Nothing like not reading carefully to create post that makes no sense. Set off nukes for “nuclear winter.” Uh-yeah.

But anyway, as I was saying, we don’t need nukes, as it was the post-war rocketing consumer demand that brought on the global cooling . . . (See how quick I can change my argument in the face of new information? Well, I used to be a super big lib. Some things you never forget–just like riding a bike.)

smellthecoffee on March 7, 2007 at 2:31 PM

God laughing at the hubris of man.

TheBigOldDog on March 7, 2007 at 3:46 PM

Gee, nothing like a GLobal Warming gathering when its 17 degrees out and snowing.

Obviously Gore must have some scientific data from his NASA buddies that says some trend is occurring. Why else would he think he is so confident on this? Why doesnt he just spill the data and let science decide instead of him taking it to the friggin road like he is? The earth goes through cycles for goodness sakes. How do we know earth wasnt deep frozen and its just going back to normal but thawing? sheeesh. Lets not have anyone adjust a damn thing until we know what the deal is. I dont wanna end up like Mars!

johnnyU on March 7, 2007 at 7:19 PM

Here in the state of Minnesota we compare things like temperature and snowfall against the average, hence the reports that this year’s temperatures are below average for this area, as is this year’s total snow fall. This means that the climate is both colder and drier than average, just the opposite of what one would expect if global warming was occurring and the average temperatures were increasing. Our averages are computed by using over 100 years of weather data (just like the “average” temperature calculations used by Al), so the global warming that Al keeps warning us about sure hasn’t made it very far north.

RedinBlueCounty on March 7, 2007 at 9:06 PM

Al Gore has lots of scientific data, but its’ all bought and paid-for “junk science.” The actual scientific data shows the theory of man-made Global Warming to be utter nonsense. In fact the satellite data for the past 20 years shows a very slight trend toward cooling, not warming. But really, overall there is no tread, there is nothing in the data that can be said to be out of the ordinary.

However global temperature measurements obtained from satellites of the Earth’s lower atmosphere reveal no definitive warming trend over the past two decades. The slight trend that is in the data actually appears to be downward. These satellite data are verified by in-situ measurements of the lower atmosphere made by balloon-borne observations around the world. —- (from NASA site)

The sun itself is the overwhelming factor in the very slight variations in average global temperatures that exist. The sun ‘cycles” over a period of about 40 years, where solar activity (sun spots ie. “solar storms”) increase for about 20 years and then decrease for about 20 years …. then the cycle begins again. The “Global Warmers” that want to institute a global tax (under the pretext of fighting global warming) are in a panic, because the sun’s cycle is already on it’s way back down onto the downside of the cycle… and we should see slight, but progressive cooling for the next twenty years or so. Carbon dioxide has NOTHING to do with it, in fact Carbon dioxide is very beneficial because that’s what plant “breath”, and the more of it there is in the air the faster they grow, and plants “exhale” oxygen…. which animals and humans breath, and animals and humans exhale carbon dioxide, so things are kept in balance and air naturally always has both….. but much more oxygen than CO2.

This site says the solar cycle is 11 years, but I think it’s actually more like 40, as the NASA site data shows. Nevertheless, the “11 year site” does a good job of describing the “solar cycle.”

Al Gore and company just want you to send your money and your not suppose to ask questions.

Maxx on March 7, 2007 at 9:38 PM

NPP on March 7, 2007 at 12:09 PM

So you are saying the satellites are lying and that we should believe Al Gore, a democrat, who’s getting rich selling the global warming scare ? Wake up NPP.

Maxx on March 7, 2007 at 10:42 PM

Worried enough to lift your blinders and sell your SUV.

benrand on March 7, 2007 at 10:51 AM

You’re absolutely right! I’ve read about this. If you breathe it, in its uncrystalized form, it can kill you. Food manufacturers have been using it for years. Why do you think they are reluctant to inform the public on their “secret formulas”?

hadsil on March 8, 2007 at 3:29 AM