Audio: Hillary, Obama develop southern accents for Selma

posted at 12:27 am on March 5, 2007 by Allahpundit

They were both in town today to commemorate Bloody Sunday. First up: the Glacier. Commentary by Matt Drudge, audio courtesy of Jim C. at Drudge Radio Archives. In fairness to Hillary, if you’ve ever heard the Gorebot testifyin’ before a black audience, you know the pandering can get much, much worse than this.

Obama’s new accent appears only a few times, but that’s not really what you’re watching the clip for. Randy from RightWinged sent it along and wants to know — isn’t there a minor problem with the messiah’s timeline here?

Let’s go to the (rough) partial transcript:

What happened in Selma, Alabama and Birmingham also stirred the conscience of the nation. It worried folks in the White House who said, “You know, we’re battling Communism. How are we going to win hearts and minds all across the world? If right here in our own country, John, we’re not observing the ideals set fort in our Constitution, we might be accused of being hypocrites.” So the Kennedy’s decided we’re going to do an air lift. We’re going to go to Africa and start bringing young Africans over to this country and give them scholarships to study so they can learn what a wonderful country America is.

This young man named Barack Obama got one of those tickets and came over to this country. He met this woman whose great great-great-great-grandfather had owned slaves; but she had a good idea there was some craziness going on because they looked at each other and they decided that we know that the world as it has been it might not be possible for us to get together and have a child. There was something stirring across the country because of what happened in Selma, Alabama, because some folks are willing to march across a bridge. So they got together and Barack Obama Jr. was born. So don’t tell me I don’t have a claim on Selma, Alabama. Don’t tell me I’m not coming home to Selma, Alabama.

A Kennedy program helped bring Obama’s father to the United States? Really? According to Obama’s first book,

He eventually won a scholarship to study in Nairobi; and then, on the eve of Kenyan independence, he was selected by Kenyan leaders and American sponsors to attend a university in the United States, joining the first large wave of Africans to be sent forth to master Western technology and bring it back to forge a new, modern Africa.

In 1959, at the age of 23, he arrived at the University of Hawaii – the first African student there.

1959. Two years before JFK was inaugurated. [Update: See below.]

As for his parents getting together in part because of what was stirring from Selma, Bloody Sunday happened on March 7, 1965. Obama was born August 4, 1961.

In fairness, he does link Selma to Birmingham a minute or two earlier in the clip — but even if you stretch the timeline to account for that, the major civil rights events in Birmingham happened in 1963, still two years after he was born.

Maybe he meant Montgomery?

Update: The Obama camp is already spinning his convenient lie:

Obama was born in 1961, four years before the march across the Edmund Pettus Bridge. But spokesman Bill Burton said Obama was “speaking metaphorically about the civil rights movement as a whole.”

Update: Looks like the mistake about the Kennedys’ role may be mine, not Obama’s. Juliette from Baldilocks points to this Time magazine piece about the “Kennedy airlift” of aspiring African scholars — in 1960. I can’t find any references to an airlift in 1959, though, when Obama said his father was in Hawaii.

Update: Here we go, with many thanks to reader Jake B. for digging this up. First, Obama Sr. and the 1959 airlift

Like Obama Senior, I toowent to the US on the famous Tom Mboya Airlift of 1959 [when hundreds ofKenyan students were given scholarships to American universities]. I firstmet Obama Senior in Tom Mboya’s Nairobi office [Mboya was then the secretarygeneral of the Kenya Federation of Labour]. Obama and I met up again onreturning to Nairobi and remained drinking buddies for many years.

…and now the Kennedy connection. According to Jake, this comes from page 4 of “Meeting Africa’s Challenge: The Story of African Committee on Africa” by George M. Houser.

mboya.gif

My apologies for the error.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

“Ich bin ein Berliner, Ya’ll”

Hening on March 5, 2007 at 3:53 PM

Heh, Hening, “Berliner” in Berlin means a jelly-stuffed doughnut.

Entelechy on March 5, 2007 at 5:47 PM

Pretty much every public speaker worth their salt adapts to their audience.

Nonfactor on March 5, 2007 at 1:54 AM

Well, I’m surprised she didn’t put black shoe polish on her face, channel Mr. Intolocuter and finish up with a big tap dance. Now that would have been worth seeing.

sdd on March 5, 2007 at 6:08 PM

sdd on March 5, 2007 at 6:08 PM

Very bad visual. LOL

baldilocks on March 5, 2007 at 6:09 PM

Hillary has just issued a response to all this heat she’s taking from the right side of the blogosphere:

“when you look at the way the House of Representatives has been run, it has been run like a plantation, and you know what I’m talking about.”

RightWinged on March 5, 2007 at 6:14 PM

I almost puked… they just played video of Hillary’s:

“I don’t feel no ways tired/I come too far from where I started from/Nobody told me that the road would be easy/I don’t believe he brought me this far to leave me.”

RightWinged on March 5, 2007 at 6:43 PM

baldilocks on March 5, 2007 at 4:43 PM

Right, it was the battle during the GOP convention, not election.
Amazing how little info on this “airlift”. Some reported several hundred over many years, others from 1958-60, and some 1960, and some as late as 1965.

right2bright on March 5, 2007 at 7:07 PM

r2b,

You said this:

This is from the article you quoted. Nixon was president in 1969 he authorized the $100,000 to airlift the 250 students.

But the aritcle does not say that (and I answered you in the manner I did without re-reading it. My fault).

What it does say is this:

Who would have the privilege of paying for $100,000 worth of plane fares to the U.S. for 250 African students? What made the question politically explosive was that the two rival contenders for the privilege were Richard M. Nixon (through the U.S. State Department) and John F. Kennedy (through his family’s charitable foundation).

A New York Negro named Frank Montero, president of the [African American Students Foundation], wrote to Nixon, recalling his interest in Africa and asking for his help. Nixon turned Montero’s request over to [Chief of the State Department's Africa desk Joseph C.] Satterthwaite, who promptly rejected it for the third time.

then Vice President and Republican presidential candidate Nixon did not authorize the Airlift (as you stated above). Montero came to him and asked him to help and Nixon, in turn, turned the matter over to the State Dept. which kept refusing to fund the airlift until the Kennedy Foundation stepped in.

You mischaracterized the content of the article and, in good faith, I believed you.

My fault, as well.

baldilocks on March 5, 2007 at 7:41 PM

Pam is right, Hillary got much worse,quoted wholesale from “The Color Purple”,I think. Next it will be “I dont know nothin’ bout birthin’ no babies” maybe when she visits her next holy abortion shrine.And she did sport a rather strange southern accent. Obama did do an accent too, about how he owed it all to the marchers sacrifice—but thank God, left out the Color Purple patois.
Strange goings on/

lizzee on March 5, 2007 at 7:58 PM

RightWinged, you got exactly what I was saying…If you spoke with a southern accent or even British, I more than likely would mimic you..it lasts 1 sentence and i am embarassed for my rudeness, I really don’t mean to do it..but you are right, for them to do this as the speaker, and not listening and then replying to someone is just pandering, and quite frankly, just as rude as what I do!

Pam on March 5, 2007 at 9:32 PM