Unnervingly creepy photo of the day

posted at 9:47 pm on March 2, 2007 by Allahpundit

Bryan will write about this later, I’m sure, but let me tell you: I was eating dinner when Charles sent me the link to his post, and when I saw the picture I literally dropped the fork and scrambled to the phone to call MM’s husband. My hands were still shaking 15 minutes later. I know some people will read that and think I’m exaggerating to claim the mantle of victimhood on her behalf, but I swear to you I’m not. Nor did I freak out because Stark’s a Lefty! and we can’t have Lefties! that close to Michelle. I freaked out because this guy has a history of being physically aggressive to get close to conservatives he doesn’t like, as you’ll see by clicking through the series. Numbers 1 through 8, especially. Which culminated, of course, in this. Like I said to Charles, if some right-wing nut with a habit of pulling belligerent ambush stunts smiled his way into a shoulder-to-shoulder “fan” photo with Jane Hamsher or Jeralyn Merritt or some other lefty woman blogger, the nutroots would go nuclear. And I wouldn’t blame them a bit.

Bryan was right there with her, of course, so I don’t want to overstate the danger, but damage can be done very quickly depending upon the M.O. The lesson here for us is that we simply must take better security precautions. So should the popular lefty bloggers, as there certainly are crazies on both sides. It’s tragic that that’s the price of doing business in the public square these days, but it is.

I know our commenters are going to rush to MM’s defense, but let’s not go popping off in ways that would let Stark don that victim’s mantle I mentioned earlier. Just be thankful she’s okay.

Update: Michelle confirms that she didn’t recognize Stark when they posed for the photo, that he presented himself in friendly terms, etc.

Update: Robert Spencer e-mails:

Security was very bad at CPAC. Floyd and his men were there and they were terrific, but they couldn’t be everywhere. No one was checking badges at the entryway to the exhibit hall. Anyone could have gone in there. Mine was in my pocket this morning and I breezed in with a suitcase and a laptop. The crowds were large and the spaces small, making oversight difficult to nonexistent.

Comments

I don’t think it is over reacting to ask the more popular liberal leaning bloggers to disown Stark if he keeps up the stalking. Surely they will realize that encouraging this type of behavior is not in their best interest.

Bill C on March 2, 2007 at 9:51 PM

Scary. Very scary.

GoodBoy on March 2, 2007 at 9:54 PM

One seriously creepy dude.

JammieWearingFool on March 2, 2007 at 9:56 PM

Question — how many other photo-ops did this guy have today with other people? I mean, it’s not like he can be that interested in the content of the event…

Wineaholic on March 2, 2007 at 10:00 PM

But MM is smiling and leaning in…doesn’t appear to feel threatened.
Surely she knew who this guy is and his bad behavior, right?
I don’t get it….

Tru2my2 on March 2, 2007 at 10:05 PM

I don’t have the full story, but from what MM’s husband told me, it sounds like she didn’t recognize him. He was interviewing her and asked her a question to the effect of, “Who’s braver, U.S. troops or people who come to CPAC?” And she thought it was odd but tried to answer it seriously. And then the questions started to get weirder and more absurd and Bryan started to get riled up.

Allahpundit on March 2, 2007 at 10:09 PM

I can’t beleieve that Michelle would go to any public event, with her outspoken fame, and not have professional protection.

Didn’t she read her own book?

JayHaw Phrenzie on March 2, 2007 at 10:10 PM

Don’t forget, “We’re a Party with a Big Tent!”

Just kidding, I am sure MM knew what she was doing (I hope so) and it just another side of her wonderful sense of humor….

PinkyBigglesworth on March 2, 2007 at 10:11 PM

There was security there of course, but like I say, it only takes an instant. I hope it’s clear from the post that it’s not this incident in particular that scares the hell out of me (after all, nothing happened). It’s what it portends for future incidents.

Allahpundit on March 2, 2007 at 10:11 PM

Allahpundit on March 2, 2007 at 10:09 PM

…….. or maybe not?

PinkyBigglesworth on March 2, 2007 at 10:12 PM

I also find it hard to believe she’d pose earnestly with Stark for a photo that was clearly meant by him to be mockery. If she knew who he was, she knew he wasn’t a fan of her books. But who knows? Maybe she was being a good sport. We’ll see what Bryan says.

Allahpundit on March 2, 2007 at 10:14 PM

This was very scary. I became an instant fan of Michelle when I saw her at Berkeley giving a talk about ‘In Defense of Internment’. And as someone pointed out in Charles’ post, if you’ve read the hate e-mail she gets, (and we’ve only had a sampling), this was very scary.

It is sad that it’s coming to this.

When I was living back in Ohio, I was talking to a liberal co-worker, a reasonable liberal co-worker about the election. I commented how I couldn’t understand why people would want to put bumper-stickers on their cars supporting either candidate when that would just encourage someone to key your car. She said she thought of that also.

Canadian Infidel on March 2, 2007 at 10:18 PM

Allahpundit on March 2, 2007 at 10:11 PM

All joking aside, Allah is quite right. Michelle has become very influential, and to the “Left” they loath dissent, and anyone who can convey a message that contradicts theirs.

They follow the facist tactics of harrasment, violence, and intimidation, rather than rational discourse and debate.

I would caution Michelle to double her guard, especially when the political stakes of this next election are so high.

After the “pies in the face” episodes to other conservative commentators, I would put nothing past these brain washed activists to try to silence the conservative point of view.

PinkyBigglesworth on March 2, 2007 at 10:18 PM

When is Bryan going to weigh in on this?

PRCalDude on March 2, 2007 at 10:20 PM

I talked with him. He was standing behind me in line and he was asking me questions about the quotes on the back of Michelle’s Unhinged. I had no idea who he was. Oh my goodness….

bookwurm322 on March 2, 2007 at 10:20 PM

Maybe she didn’t recognize him with the beard, and without the spittle flying out of his mouth.

Jim Treacher on March 2, 2007 at 10:22 PM

Allahpundit – I was following the entire link at LGF as this was going on. I stopped at 9:00 or so to catch the Simpson’s and wouldn’t you know – it was the one with Homer as a bodyguard.

There’s nothing like Homer as a man in black, http://www.simpsoncrazy.com/episodeguide.php?episode=AABF05,
giving out sleeper-holds to the family to make you laugh.

Good night all!

Canadian Infidel on March 2, 2007 at 10:23 PM

Well, I’ll certainly say an extra prayer for Mrs. Malkin this evening. I hope this was nothing more than simple harrassment, but am aware how quickly things can go from simply creepy to tragic.

Slublog on March 2, 2007 at 10:32 PM

Forget the prayer, I think a nice group of hotair bodyguards would be up for the task?

Defector01 on March 2, 2007 at 10:33 PM

This is unnerving to say the least.Michelle honey,I hope you know at least a few self defense moves.You need someone more than just Brian(he wont say the word faggot)to get your 360.

spazzmomma on March 2, 2007 at 10:38 PM

If I lived closer to DC, I would be more than willing to help, even though I am the original 98 lb. weakling in stature and would do little good. I do hope Mrs. Malkin is careful, and that she has alerted the authorities to this guy’s history.

Slublog on March 2, 2007 at 10:38 PM

Presuming this took place at CPAC, why didn’t Bryan just turn him (Stark) over to Lou Ferrigno? Then, Bryan could video-tape it for us!

CyberCipher on March 2, 2007 at 11:05 PM

Yeah, that’s creepy. Just glad the photo is all there is to this.

frankj on March 2, 2007 at 11:12 PM

Oh,and we should probably be looking for a photoshop pic soon with the title of Michelle’s book replaced with something nasty.

spazzmomma on March 2, 2007 at 11:12 PM

I don’t take MM for a fool. And the man with character enough to earn her love can’t be either. I’m sure CPAC is a very exciting and busy time. We can’t expect her, or any other person, to recognize even someone as vile as this chooch during such an event.

That being said, please, please get some protection. This guy doesn’t strike me as cherishing ALL human life.

unamused on March 2, 2007 at 11:14 PM

PinkyBigglesworth on March 2, 2007 at 10:18 PM

From everything I have read about Michelle and the lefts reaction to her, I get the clear impression the left has a very special kind of hate for her.

With her being a woman and a minority yet still a conservative, in their little minds, she is the epitome of what must be destroyed.

…the left over the past two years has shown a great deal that there is cause for serious concern.

91Veteran on March 2, 2007 at 11:16 PM

Allahpundit on March 2, 2007 at 10:09 PM

Thanks for keeping us up-to-date on this. I’m sure this Stark freak isn’t the only liberal spook at CPAC.

Brian and Michelle seem to be ones who can take care of himselves, but still, I hope they’re coordinating some more backup.

Lawrence on March 2, 2007 at 11:30 PM

I don’t think that this creep would do anthing…yet…I hope…The loony left hasn’t “indoctrinated” enough people into their philosophy of hatred yet so to do something “prematurely’ would hurt their cause…notice I’m not attributing their restraint to decency and tolerance…

CCRWM on March 2, 2007 at 11:53 PM

spazzmomma on March 2, 2007 at 11:12 PM

I hope this is in good taste after the Coulter debate I am questioning my sense of humor.

Bill C on March 2, 2007 at 11:59 PM

What’s the deal with this guy?

He seems really proud of the fact that he’s a stalker. What a freakin’ loser.

Chad on March 3, 2007 at 12:01 AM

…then the questions started to get weirder and more absurd and Bryan started to get riled up.

What kind of questions? Did he get “escorted out”?

BacaDog on March 3, 2007 at 12:02 AM

I’m seriously confused.

SouthernGent on March 3, 2007 at 12:07 AM

The phrase ‘wolf in sheep’s clothing’ comes to mind.

infidel4life on March 3, 2007 at 12:11 AM

Remember its the same lefties that tried to pass a fake photo of a woman in a bikini with Michelle’s face posted on top of it.

Id hate to think what this nut would do with said photo.

William Amos on March 3, 2007 at 12:24 AM

This creep has a serious problem.

Rick on March 3, 2007 at 12:34 AM

I wonder how many have ‘Concealed Carry’, ya know, just in case.

- The Cat

MirCat on March 3, 2007 at 12:50 AM

Though Mr. Stark has a history of aggressiveness, let us also remember that there is a segment of the population that may have issues with someone that has posted online and shown on television the dreaded cartoons. Concern about MM’s security should not be taken lightly.

Now this is really creepy –

I spent much of my day (I’ll post audio at CallingAllWingnuts.com later in the week) talking to female College Republicans. I admitted that many of them were particularly fetching – they are.

rw on March 3, 2007 at 12:59 AM

Slublog on March 2, 2007 at 10:38 PM

I second this….If I were close to DC, I would be more than happy to stand guard for Michelle. I think my 6′ 235 lb former college athlete frame would give freaks like this chump a reason to think twice before trying something stupid. I thank God every morning for people like Michelle who bring us the truth about so much.

fightingirish24 on March 3, 2007 at 1:07 AM

In lieu of past events, can this guy be banned from being in the proximity of Michelle or anybody else from the staff?

Ropera on March 3, 2007 at 1:57 AM

I wonder how many moonbat bloggers out there will consider this some kind of cool accomplishment and saying..”Better luck next time”?

We all know the loony left is off the hinges and if MM is this easy to get close to, well that’ll be all that is needed to encourage someone else of his ilk.

Be safe MM. I’ve got a couple of .45′s and a 9mm sig that airiate that sack O crap reaaaaaal nice if he tries anything violent.

csdeven on March 3, 2007 at 2:23 AM

This freak needs a long stay at Atascadero. Michelle you need to get a twelve guage and a bodyguard. I’ll volunteer to sew a friggin blinking light to the top of his head for you and you don’t even have to send a Christmas card.

Limerick on March 3, 2007 at 3:13 AM

Be safe MM. I’ve got a couple of .45′s and a 9mm sig that airiate that sack O poo reaaaaaal nice if he tries anything violent.

csdeven on March 3, 2007 at 3:25 AM

If Stark shows up tomorrow, somebody (or more than one somebody) from CPAC needs to be detailed to follow and observe him and be ready to intervene physically if necessary.

Treat him like the felon he is likely to become.

georgej on March 3, 2007 at 3:26 AM

Man, what a tool this guy is.

Oh… but there’s one notable – striking, even – absence.

There are no military recruiters here. No United States Marine Corps. No Army, no Navy, no Air Force or National Guard – hell, not even the Coast Guard is here. Thousands and thousands of College Republicans, but not a single recruiter in sight…

Why?

Well, I have a theory or two (Michelle Malkin doesn’t agree with me, but more on that later).

Let’s try this: CPAC didn’t want to be embarrassed when pictures were released that showed recruiters standing around looking lonely. Similarly, recruiters know it’s a better investment of their time to troll “the other malls” rather than to recruit these nice white college boys.

How about because the military doesn’t do political events? Has anyone ever seen recruiters working a political convention? Ever?

Unhinged is right.

Pablo on March 3, 2007 at 4:06 AM

I think that’s an excellent point, and it made me look again:

There are “thousands and thousands of College Republicans” on college campuses, and yet people like this don’t want recruiters there. Trying to rationalize this is mind-numbing.

JimRich on March 3, 2007 at 5:21 AM

Security security security, I cant express this enough to you Michelle, Im sure you know that, but this guy has gotten this close once and now knows he can, please let it be the very last time.

Viper1 on March 3, 2007 at 6:41 AM

Michelle is a different case, because of her books, TV appearances, and the like, but bloggers in general have a false sense of security. Even the faceless, walled-in Allah is better known than he thinks. When you blog, you become just as vulnerable to that dangerous 0.3% of the public as an actor, politician, pro athlete, etc.

HerrMorgenholz on March 3, 2007 at 7:51 AM

No more side-by-side photo ops. Books signed with a good sturdy table between her and the fan, and room to escape behind.

And of course, a professional bodyguard.

The Left is getting weirder every day. Stalking, threatening, keying cars, throwing pies or outright rioting during speaking events, breaking and entering, assault, etc.

Way to make a political point, guys! We got it: You’re nucking futs.

Michelle should probably also go through her big bag o’ hate mail and see if she ever got anything from this guy. Be a nice foundation for legal case if she needs one.

Anybody out there got his IP?

lauraw on March 3, 2007 at 8:01 AM

I noticed a off topic comment under one of the topics last night, and took the link to LGF… saw the photo, read the comments.

I think the first action should be a court visit today, restraining order at the least. Second, its a full moon today, and we all know how weak minds react to the full moon. Caution is the action word today.

On the bright side, I, like most readers here, have Faith. There are a lot of us who feel the adrenaline surging, I suggest some prayers to help re-center.

Zorro on March 3, 2007 at 8:12 AM

His employing a false identity is enough to warrant an RO.

drjohn on March 3, 2007 at 8:48 AM

Yeah, you know, this stunt has made me think about the implications for my own safety too. You just NEVER KNOW. And hey, like I need another excuse for quitting my blog? Not even!

There’s seriously something disturbingly wrong with that guy. Even IF he was totally “innocent”–meaning he thought it’d be funny/ironic to post a picture of him with her–the sheer idiocy of not understanding how a woman would feel threatened by such behavior is stunning. Not to mention it makes you wonder what other kind of inappropriate crap he’s in the habit of doing (and even ignoring the whole Allen stalking stunt). Clearly the guy has no concept of appropriate adult behavior, which screams “sociopath alert!”

csdeven:
Well, just look at the comments at his post. It’s all high-fives for Mikey and “FU, wingnuts.”

bamapachyderm on March 3, 2007 at 9:08 AM

You want to see what the logical result of leftist lunacy?

this guy was a serious whackjob, and, of course, he was an extreme leftist.

Steve Kangas…liberals didn’t want to talk much about this maniac. Didn’t get much play in the media either, no surprise.

benrand on March 3, 2007 at 9:10 AM

Ordinarily I’d play devil’s advocate and point out all this guy did was ask a few questions and get a photo taken. But as a Security professional, and knowing something of this guy’s background, I’d definately say he’s someone to keep an eye on, especialy at a Conservative function. He’s already been physicaly violent in the past, and behavior like that generaly only escalates.
If MM needs an armed certified bodyguard in Virginia, lemme know where to send the application . On a more serious note, I suggest (if not already done) compiling a photo/bio book of threats like this guy so that her staff (not just security) will be acquainted with potential problems. The more eyes out there, the better.

wolfva on March 3, 2007 at 9:34 AM

I’m, 6’3″ and 205…I’ll be glad to chip in as well. This is one disturbing individual, and his “fans” are just as weird.

Malpaso on March 3, 2007 at 10:08 AM

Maybe a restraining order, with this guys history, you and other conservatives can keep this guy out of all future political events. Seems like he’s done enough to warrant action.
As busy as those places can get, it makes you wonder who all CAN get in there.In hindsight, who would have even thought about this guy yesterday morning? Total surprise. Hope you’re OK MM, and get some sleep. Bryan , glad you were there.

shooter on March 3, 2007 at 10:28 AM

Pray for the safety of everyone who tells their opinions left or right.

Words are where freedom starts and suppression is where freedom ends

God Bless all of you

Thanking everyone is safe

EricPWJohnson on March 3, 2007 at 10:29 AM

HOTAIR SECURITY FORCE NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS

Maybe all us contributors can be Michelle,Bryans,and Ians security in our respected areas when they visit sort of a volunteer security force I’d mention Allahpundit but dont know what he looks like so for the moment he still has anonymity.

And Michelle get you Conceal Carry license makes good sense and nothing sexier then a woman packing heat

Kevin43 on March 3, 2007 at 11:13 AM

What are the badges they’re all wearing around their necks? I’m guessing some kind of ID? I’ve never been to an event like that, but doesn’t that imply there was some sort of screening going on beforehand? How’d he get through?

Hack Ptui on March 3, 2007 at 11:16 AM

The ID tags are given to anyone who registers. The registration process doesn’t include any kind of screening as far as I know.

bookwurm322 on March 3, 2007 at 11:30 AM

GOOD GRIEF! I have often wondered about MM’s security. I was glad to see Bryan and Ian (he seems to be a big guy too) were around her when she goes out to nutroots events..but at CPAC? *sigh* Seems someone needs to get taken to the proverbial woodshed over the lack of security at this event!
I am glad things didnt get out of hand but this lunatic was TOO close..way too close.
Be careful out there MM..and I seriously think you take some of the HotAir commentators who are also big guys up on their offers next time.
I can see why AP was freaked..me too and it is Sat morning after it happened. Too close…way too close.

labwrs on March 3, 2007 at 11:44 AM

Why is this any different than the stalking that Micheal Moore does with his fauxumentaries ?

William Amos on March 3, 2007 at 12:03 PM

Michael Moore never had to be taken to the floor (if such a thing would even be possible) while screaming at his target, “Did you ever spit on your wife??”

Jim Treacher on March 3, 2007 at 12:49 PM

Jim Treacher on March 3, 2007 at 12:49 PM

sweep the leg and watch the Richter scale!

AZPatriot on March 3, 2007 at 12:56 PM

Stalking…a Stark Reality.

A recent study by the National Institute of Justice found that stalking was far more prevalent than anyone had imagined: 8% of American women and 2% of American men will be stalked in their lifetimes. That’s 1.4 million American stalking victims every year. The majority of stalkers have been in relationships with their victims, but a significant percentage either never met their victims, or were just acquaintances – neighbors, friends or co-workers.

Kokonut on March 3, 2007 at 1:37 PM

could you imagine registration and psych screening at a DNC event?

EricPWJohnson on March 3, 2007 at 1:39 PM

Three things:

No concealed carry in DC;

And as creepy as this is I think Michelle was in much more danger in Iraq and at Berkeley. (I was there for that one.)

see-dubya on March 3, 2007 at 2:00 PM

That sort of scrunched down into two things.

see-dubya on March 3, 2007 at 2:00 PM

Im just saying seems to be a disorder with liberals they get very obsessive with those that they disagree with.

BDS is another example of how nomal human beings get so obsessive and crazy over someone simply because they dont agree with them.

Its really borderline personality disorder and seems very prevalent in liberals.

I dont obsess over Kerry or Conyers or Teddy to the point I want to follow them around and spy on them to get a “Gotcha” moment.

And I havent heard of any other conservative that does that.

William Amos on March 3, 2007 at 2:10 PM

Will add to this story that Allah and the others have a right to be worried. Just look at that receint story where some nutbag liberal LOOKED UP on the internet some republican students and went to their addresses to confront them.

He litterally attacked them at their own home. And this guy seems to be in the same mold as that nut.

William Amos on March 3, 2007 at 2:15 PM

Kevin43 on March 3, 2007 at 11:13 AM

I am 6’3 195lbs kind of wiry…lol

EnochCain on March 3, 2007 at 3:12 PM

I’m just glad Michelle is safe. I heard he came up today on bloggers row, and tried to start something with Captain Ed, but Captain Ed wasn’t having any of it.

Creepy

Vanceone on March 3, 2007 at 3:35 PM

Agreed – thank G’d Michelle is okay. I’m hoping the powers that be have a persuasive talk with this guy, so that neither he nor anyone from his crowd tries a stunt like this again.

SpartRan on March 3, 2007 at 5:42 PM

I’m, 6′3″ and 205…I’ll be glad to chip in as well.

Malpaso on March 3, 2007 at 10:08 AM

I’m 9mm and .357 and I’ll help too. I know, see-dub, no CC in DC. But if she’s in the Roanoke area, I’ll be available.

TugboatPhil on March 3, 2007 at 8:24 PM

Bryan and Stakelbeck were there, so there wouldn’t have been much the stalker could’ve done.

That’s like having Klaatu and Gort in your corner…

ScottMcC on March 3, 2007 at 10:02 PM

That’s like having Klaatu and Gort in your corner…

ScottMcC on March 3, 2007 at 10:02 PM

In reality, that assessment is completely unrealistic!

People often don’t respond to violent attack very quickly or reliably, mainly because it is traumatic and sends people’s minds into a kind of confusion.

The photo clearly shows Stark standing abreast Michelle Malkin. He could have injured her, or, if he chose to, he could have murdered her. I do not assume that Bryan and Stakelbeck would have reacted to anything Stark would have done before a delay in which their intellect and emotions were first shocked by what was taking place.

Bryan and Stakelbeck might first freeze in their tracks, if they even noticed anything taking place, and gone through a period of wondering if something was taking place, if this was “REALLY” happening, and if they should do something.

Then, once they decided that they might do something, they would most likely go into a process of deciding just what they might do. Should they tell someone? Should they ask Michelle what is going on? Should they ask the guy what is going on?

We don’t know at which point that anyone would have actually gone over to Stark and man handled him, and put an end to whatever nonsense he had time to initiate!

The best bet is don’t let anyone get NEAR Michelle or anyone else, until the person is vented, and escorted. No one should be allowed to get to Michelle! Keep them away, and, keep barriers between Michelle and the public, and always keep an escape route for Michelle! Always have a first, second, and third way out should she be cornered.

The atmosphere could remain friendly, a table between Michelle and her public is not an unfriendly obstacle, but it does present some protection in keeping harm doers from having a free, unobstructed passage.

Those protecting Michelle should be resolved to attack, and disable as quickly as possible, anyone who lays a single hand on her, but beware, the first action could be a diversion, so she should be huddled by those who protect her and moved to a safe location, a location which is guarded to maintain its safety. You do not wish to move her to an unsecured location and find that the location is populated by violent thugs just waiting to do their dirty business. Someone should be there to ensure than no one sneaks into the safe room. It should not be an unattended, unsupervised location.

There should also be a quick communication with the police. It should not take an hour or two to get police officers to the location.

Another problem with “volunteering” to guard Michelle, or anyone else, is that you stand a chance of ending up in prison. Should someone attack Michelle and should any of us intervene, the perp can easily be found to be a victim, and the persons who rescue Michelle could be found the be culpable of some offense.

I’d like to either volunteer or hire out to set up security for Michelle and others, and also to personally oversee her direct safety, yet I have a family, a wife and three children, and I would not wish to end up in prison for protecting her or Coulter, or Limbaugh, or anyone else. The law is not always fair or just, and many a good Samaritan is in prison for doing the right thing.

Best bet, keep people away from Michelle. Keep obstacles between Michelle and the public. Keep a safe room available and secured. Keep several escape routes available for a quick escape. And those who protect her should not all be right up with her. They should be unknown and should be able to swarm her and cover her like a football huddle, and escort her off to safety, while others doing security for her should be mixing in the crowd, ready to do whatever is necessary to stop attacks and help in whatever way the can.

Quick point, if you do security for someone like Michelle, you must have good people working with you. People you can rely on, people who will take orders, do exactly what you tell them, when you tell them. If you say “Stop the guy in the gray suit and red tie,” You don’t hesitate to stop the guy in the gray suite and red tie. If he resists, stop means stop, so you knock him on his ass, and your fellow security persons make sure to get him off his feet and incapacitated immediately. You don’t play games, you don’t play patta-cake, you don’t play compassion and love. You play, take this target out NOW! and you do it NOW!

You must also use less intense tactics to make sure to deflate the situation so that the more severe situation does not manifest, alternatives like those I’ve mentioned above, such as keeping people away from Michelle, walking over to possible perpetrator and engaging them in conversation, redirecting them away from your client, or protected person. Active security is powerful, effective security.

William

William2006 on March 3, 2007 at 11:12 PM

Another point regarding protecting people, the Police, Treasury Department – Secret Service, and others, have different protections by law than lay persons do. If a police officer stops a perp, although police are often targeted by bigoted, racist public citizens and left wing, police hating groups, for the most part they can take a perp down, handcuff him, and drag him away.

A secret service agent, on location to protect an assignment, has some protections under the law.

Even the police and border patrol, and secret service get hassled for doing their jobs.

A normal citizen is in danger of incarceration for doing the same. It could be messy.

William

William2006 on March 3, 2007 at 11:20 PM

That’s like having Klaatu and Gort in your corner…
ScottMcC on March 3, 2007 at 10:02 PM

In reality, that assessment is completely unrealistic!

Robert Spencer at CPAC proved that Stakelbeck was the size of a planet-destroying robot, so I don’t think my Day The Earth Stood Still analogy is that far off the mark.

What we’d really have to worry about is if Michelle couldn’t remember the correct pronunciation of “Klaatu Barada Nikto” — one word off and CPAC would’ve been flattened by Stakelbeck’s laser eye.

ScottMcC on March 5, 2007 at 11:12 AM

ScottMcC on March 5, 2007 at 11:12 AM

The problem with expecting people who are standing around to protect someone when they are attacked is that the bystanders are not there in a security mode, they are there as bystanders or participants in the even. As such, they are not as likely to comprehend what is taking place during an attack, and often they will freeze up and stand around as if watching a movie.

I have watched people freeze up and do nothing to stop attacks against others. This is rather common.

No matter how large a friend might be, they still are not reliable to protect a person from attack, initially, because they are likely to just stand there while their mind does not even realize that there is a violent attack taking place, and there is often a delay between the initiation of the attack and their response to intercede.

It is better to actually prevent the attack by keeping strangers at a distance, and by keeping plain clothes security personnel mixing in the crowd, ready keep their eyes on the crowd at different angles.

William