Geico cavemen gettin’ their own sitcom

posted at 8:12 pm on March 2, 2007 by Allahpundit

I cringed when I read the news, but a quick YouTube search to see what they’ve been up to lately revealed the following, and now…

Maybe. Maybe.

No word yet on what the show’s going to look like, but I bet the weirdly elaborate “Caveman’s Crib” website created by Geico isn’t far off the mark. Sardonic yuppie neanderthals sharing laughs, love, and snark as they try to make it in the big city? Maybe. Maybe.

Click the image to watch, making sure to note the tie on the door.

Update: Treacher’s suggested title? “The Passive-Aggressive Metrosexual Caveman Show!”

caveman.jpg

Comments

As long as they find a way to “gerbil” with that gecko, I’ll call it good.

I’ve seen this before. It starred Brendon Fraser and Paulie Shore. Nuff said.

SailorDave on March 2, 2007 at 8:16 PM

LMAO. Watch the TV.

zerodamage on March 2, 2007 at 8:18 PM

Yeah, this should be the best show since The Clara Peller Variety Hour (featuring Jeff Altman & The Where’s The
Beef? Players).

Jim Treacher on March 2, 2007 at 8:20 PM

I’m just a caveman. I don’t understand about the Internet, or “blogging” or camcorders. It all seems so strange to someone like me, unfrozen by scientists from so long long ago.

But let me tell you what I *do* understand.

My client is entitled to economic and punitive damages for this intrusion of his right to privacy.

Anil Petra on March 2, 2007 at 8:23 PM

The refrigerator magnets are in… Esperanto? Okay, I’m starting to like this whole deal.

Jim Treacher on March 2, 2007 at 8:26 PM

But will it be a diverse caveperson cast?

rw on March 2, 2007 at 8:30 PM

AP – Charles at LGF has an article about a stalker with a picture of him and Michelle.

Canadian Infidel on March 2, 2007 at 8:33 PM

Jim, you forgot “I Can’t Believe You’ll Make Me Eat the Whole Thing,” the short-lived series featuring random contestants force-feeding a middle-aged Italian guy from Long Island.

SailorDave on March 2, 2007 at 8:35 PM

It will work as long as they can keep up the absurdist angle, which is to say not very long. Two minute vignettes as part of a sketch comedy format, sure, but that’s about it.

spmat on March 2, 2007 at 8:35 PM

You know, every 5 seconds fox or nbc puts up another cookie cutter sitcom with and it lasts for about a month and then its dead.

Remember when we had shows with REAL creativity involved? This is one of those shows.

triple on March 2, 2007 at 8:35 PM

Am I a complete tool because I bought that Royksopp song?

see-dubya on March 2, 2007 at 8:36 PM

But let me tell you what I *do* understand.

Back when the Simpsons still rocked

Max Power on March 2, 2007 at 8:43 PM

Yeah, this should be the best show since The Clara Peller Variety Hour

Comedy snob!

No, seriously, one-joke shows like this can’t miss.

Allahpundit on March 2, 2007 at 8:44 PM

I’m not with you guys. There is big potential for humor here.

-Phil Hartman’s thing
-New technologiy ineptitude funnies
-trouble adapting
-Humor derived from them being smarter than us
-fun with thick skulls
-drunk neanderthals

This looks like a winner in my book. To be fair, I think “Rules of Engagement” is the funniest thing since the jokes made about sliced bread. So take this opinion with a grain of salt.

Kevin M on March 2, 2007 at 8:47 PM

People liked the commercials. But this will prematurely end the whole thing.

CR UVa on March 2, 2007 at 8:51 PM

Cavemen are cool as long as they’re effeminate, wear turbans and speak with a Spanish accent.

RedWinged Blackbird on March 2, 2007 at 8:51 PM

Okay, after spending like 45 minutes roaming around that place, I’m sold. Please bring on The Passive-Aggressive Metrosexual Caveman Show! That guy is funny.

Jim Treacher on March 2, 2007 at 8:58 PM

Filmed in Sadr City

Wade on March 2, 2007 at 9:04 PM

As long as they write in the WASSSUUUPPPPP! guys as their wacky neighbors.

reaganaut on March 2, 2007 at 9:06 PM

Less cavemen. More humping robots.

lorien1973 on March 2, 2007 at 9:07 PM

Filmed in Sadr City

Nicely said..that’s the first thing that came to my mind. So, another lamea$$ sitcom. Lots of sex jokes and a ‘zany’ gay character are included, no doubt. Think I’ll peel all the skin of my body and take a vinager shower instead.

austinnelly on March 2, 2007 at 9:08 PM

Mrs.737 and I love these commercials and look foward to the show. I haven’t watched a sitcom since Friends and it’ll be nice to have something to laugh at these days.

How long until CAIR claims the Cavemen represent muslims?

The wifey and I also think that the main caveman in the ads is played by the guy who used to host “Talk Soup” … the guy with a white stripe in his hair, “Skunk Boy” … anybody remember him and his name?

Tony737 on March 2, 2007 at 9:14 PM

John Henson, and you may very well be right. Could the prophecy be true? Will society’s embrace of sophisticated males with great hair product and a need to ramble intelligently mean what I think it means? Does this show harken the second coming of Craig Kilborn? Time will tell.

Savage on March 2, 2007 at 9:20 PM

Running a joke into the ground, so easy a cavrman can do it.

Bill C on March 2, 2007 at 9:27 PM

Mispelling caveman, so easy Bill C can do it.

Bill C on March 2, 2007 at 9:28 PM

There is a proud tradition of this kind of thing, I believe beginning with Ernest P. Worrell, who went from (car?) commercial to beloved film franchise icon.

Alex K on March 2, 2007 at 9:37 PM

austinnelly on March 2, 2007 at 9:08 PM

Can’t be worse than Friends

billy on March 2, 2007 at 9:39 PM

I see potential here. After, metrosexual cavemen who think they’re geniuses and hipper than hip are natural Democrats. This is blatant mockery of the Koz Kids, Neanderthals who think they are rocket scientists.

Tantor on March 2, 2007 at 9:42 PM

He doesn’t really sound like Henson, although under all that makeup, who knows. I just spent 10 minutes putting outfits on a cyber-caveman, and then I went to the Fabulous Entourage site and downloaded the MP3 of “Theme Song.” I think I may be close to a breakthrough…

Jim Treacher on March 2, 2007 at 10:08 PM

A Caveman Sitcom.

I give it one season. The writer’s good snarky ideas will dry up about half way through the seaons and will default to stuff that’s been done before.

Lawrence on March 2, 2007 at 10:15 PM

Lots of Dem cameos, I bet. Kennedy and Kerry will probably think it’s real and try to get them some entitlements and reparations.

Hening on March 2, 2007 at 10:27 PM

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!

As you can see I’m a huge fan of the sarcastic cavemen.

mattshu on March 2, 2007 at 10:27 PM

All they have to do is take the dusty old “Frasier” scripts and play them exactly as they were written, but changing the Psychiatrist and Brother to Pet Rock Salesman and Brother.

One technical question: why are they apparently white?

Isn’t that paleo-ethno-racist?

(If they can convert the characters to Islam, mid-season, they’re guaranteed at least some audience. See: THE WACKY “Throwing Rocks At Stone Pillar Representing Satan in Mecca” EPISODE.)

profitsbeard on March 2, 2007 at 11:23 PM

I was soooo expecting a wild yeowl and a crazy swing, but alas I was let down.

- The Cat

P.S. Yeah, sometimes simple and predicatble is better then what the heck was that about?

MirCat on March 3, 2007 at 12:24 AM

Wow. It did sound like a disaster when I saw the headline, but maybe.

frankj on March 3, 2007 at 12:36 AM

Tony737 on March 2, 2007 at 9:14 PM

Are you thinking of this guy?

91Veteran on March 3, 2007 at 12:40 AM

I hear CBS is developing a weekly hour long drama about the Verizon Wireless guy and UPS Whiteboard guy as the crimefighting co-owners of a full-service business center in a suburban Chicago strip mall. It was pitched as Murder She Wrote but with guaranteed overnight shipping and the fewest dropped calls.

ScottMcC on March 3, 2007 at 1:31 AM

Kevin M on March 2, 2007 at 8:47 PM

If this is the Rules of Engagement you’re talking about, then you are without a doubt the smartest man alive.

ScottMcC on March 3, 2007 at 2:14 AM

Are you thinking of this guy?
91Veteran on March 3, 2007 at 12:40 AM

I think it was this guy. I think it has potential. Henson was funny on Talk Soup, so if it’s him he should be able to pull it off.

forged rite on March 3, 2007 at 2:30 AM

Forged, yep, that’s the guy, thanks. He was hilarious on TalkSoup, very sarcastic. He left the show sayin’ he was gettin’ some kinda talk show but I guess it didn’t happen. The guy who replaced him sucked, so we stop watchin’ it until he was replaced by … um … damn that short term memory loss … I can see her face … she’s beautiful … played Ross’s girlfriend … is now on Ghost Talker … or something like that. Anyway, she was very funny on Talk Soup too, but Skunk Boy was the best.

Tony737 on March 3, 2007 at 6:15 AM

Sitcoms: so easy an actor could do it.

James on March 3, 2007 at 7:22 AM

Who wants to take book on how long before the first “Bush/Caveman” joke.

I put $20 on Episode 1 9min 43sec.

Booo on March 3, 2007 at 8:39 AM

Can’t be worse than Friends

True True

Wade on March 3, 2007 at 9:07 AM

Awesome. I laugh everytime I see one of the Geico caveman ads.

SisterToldjah on March 3, 2007 at 9:11 AM

It may be too much of a good thing. They’ll take the cavemen through the usual sitcom scenarios and it will run its course like 3′s Company, ALF, The Hendersons, etc. and even maybe have a surge like a totally unrelated show like “Who wants to be Millionaire”. We’ll end up sick of the cavemen eventually, so Geico will lose that after a while but its a smart move on someones part for a new sitcom when America really needs a good laugh about now. Will they hit a homerun like Seinfeld and break into something unique? I say no. Wil it be funny for a while? I say yes. I can forsee some clever funny scenarios they can get in. One word of caution is that I hope they don’t try and make men in general look like a bunch of apes. I wouldnt like that at all and may actually look away from the network its running on and maybe even Geico for causing it all!

johnnyU on March 3, 2007 at 9:48 AM

Geico caveman yeah…can we find out whats up with Dinesh D’souza attacking then misquoting Robert Spencer at CPAC debate?

mimi on March 3, 2007 at 10:50 AM

I love the scream when you flush the toilet while he’s in the shower. Just like home.

PattyAnn on March 3, 2007 at 10:52 AM

I seem to remember beating up people like the cavemen in high school.

kidding…

Mazztek on March 3, 2007 at 11:53 AM

I’m thinking a TV movie, maybe. In between the seasons, when most other shows are in their breaks.

Mazztek on March 3, 2007 at 11:56 AM

Maybe this guy will be in it… http://www.brianregan.com/experience-av.html

CliffHanger on March 3, 2007 at 1:33 PM

The commercials are among the best on TV lately. But a series? Crash and burn faster than Commander in Chief.

Freelancer on March 4, 2007 at 8:12 AM

Time to make the donuts.

Coronagold on March 4, 2007 at 9:00 AM

Does the fact that there were no such thing as “cave men” matter at all?

I love the commercials BTW.

Mojave Mark on March 4, 2007 at 8:17 PM

These commercials absolutely freakin’ kill me. Still, I started looking at my watch towards the end.

John from OPFOR on March 4, 2007 at 8:31 PM