Video: “Jihad”

posted at 9:50 am on March 1, 2007 by Allahpundit

For the second day in a row, I pilfer a vid from See-Dub. Mitigating factor: he pilfered it from Pajamas.

He calls it brilliant for shifting from dread to comedy to drama back to comedy and finally to whatever emotion the ending evokes in the span of five minutes. It’s impressive, but the suggestion that money is the answer to jihad makes me nervous given what we know about the social strata from which AQ’s leaders come. Plus, it feels like an allegory — but for what? Iraq? If the characters had ended up distracted by fighting with each other instead of celebrating, that would work. But they don’t, so it doesn’t.

As an allegory for western complacency prior to 9/11, it’s not half bad. But then you’ve got to overlook the not so minor fact that the characters here are the type of people who were flying the planes, not the ones sitting terrified in back.

How about we agree it’s a statement about cultural assimilation and leave it at that. Everyone happy? Good. Proceed.

Comments

AP,you’re analyzing it too much. I just found it funny!

dalewalt on March 1, 2007 at 10:05 AM

Heh. Reminds me of this:

SnakeintheGrass on March 1, 2007 at 10:05 AM

Hmm…

This

SnakeintheGrass on March 1, 2007 at 10:06 AM

I’ll save you all the time. Terrorist on the way to blow something up find out that they won sixty million on the lottery. They decide spending the money is better than killing themselves. In the end they are celebrating in their car, get into and accident and blow up anyways.

Two takes. Could be a humor piece on the worthlessness of Islamic murder or a recruiting film on what happens to Muslims who don’t follow through on jihad.

Timber Wolf on March 1, 2007 at 10:10 AM

Hilarious, I especially liked the ending.

liberty on March 1, 2007 at 10:12 AM

It looks to me to be more about Karma – you know, like as in, My Name is Earl.

“I know how to burn a Jesus face into a sandwich Earl.”

nailinmyeye on March 1, 2007 at 10:13 AM

I laughed, I cried laughed….

Good times…

tickleddragon on March 1, 2007 at 10:14 AM

GREAT way to start the day JIHADLOTTO!

shooter on March 1, 2007 at 10:15 AM

Funny thing is;

The wealthy Muslim populations in Democratic countries are generally less violent and less prone to violent jihad.

What’s the difference?

One big difference is that Muslims living in Western Democratic are allowed to accumulate and also keep their wealth. While in the Middle East, the Muslim governments generally siphon off all the wealth from the average citizen, leaving most of them desperate and starving.

If we could figure out how to protect the ability of the average Middle Eastern Muslim to keep their wealth, and therefore improve their standard of living, they might actually have something to fight for.

When the U.S. dumps billions of dollars into their economy to jump-start the average citizen, where does it go? It gets sucked away by their cultural leaders and Mullahs to finance Jihad.

As it stands now, no matter which side the average Iraqi chooses, they lose. If they side with the U.S. the Radicals target them and kill them. If they side with the Radicals, the Radicals turn them into suicide bombers.

And we wonder why the Iraqi’s are having a tough time with this new government transition?

I’m not advocating we abandon them. I think we need to stick it out for the long haul, because nobody else is stepping up to help them.

>>>

We are the Good Samaritans in this scenario. We did not have to stop and help, but we did. We have picked up the wounded man and have him half way back to town. Let u not abandon him now just because the road is a bit rougher and the load is a bit heavier than we first anticipated.

Lawrence on March 1, 2007 at 10:16 AM

It even touches on the sexual-frustration-drives-jihad idea a bit.

I like the fact that the peaceful and happy future, represented by the ticket, blows away in the wind (Bob Dylan style) due to pointless violence. The tables are turned on the jihadis, who have very suddenly come to be very hopeful for their own future, in a super-concentrated Aristotelian twist of fate.

I agree… it was brilliant.

DaveS on March 1, 2007 at 10:29 AM

I think the brilliant parts are

1: That these guys play against type of the single-minded android psychopath,

2: That the director can actually manipulate you into rooting for these guys a little bit–not obviously with the bombing.

When you stop to think about it the notion that an Al-Qaeda terrorist might win the lottery is horrifying. Talk about injustice! And yet…these guys are so excited…

see-dubya on March 1, 2007 at 10:34 AM

Muslim governments generally siphon off all the wealth from the average citizen, Lawrence on March 1, 2007 at 10:16 AM

Actually not the governments it is the Caporegimes.
Third world countries are all run as protection rackets.

As for the vid: I chuckled….but it wasn’t Buster Keaton.
These idiots simply would have left the ticket for the local Imam ‘Capo’ to funnel back to his boss.

Limerick on March 1, 2007 at 10:35 AM

That was VERY good

Mortis on March 1, 2007 at 10:36 AM

Allah loveth not the materialistic jihadi.

RedWinged Blackbird on March 1, 2007 at 10:53 AM

ha ha ha . . .that’s a keeper!

heroyalwhyness on March 1, 2007 at 10:58 AM

Heh.

I think AP way over-analyzed. It was just funny.

But then again, I’m shallow and superficial…life is much more enjoyable that way.

flipflop on March 1, 2007 at 11:05 AM

I think AP way over-analyzed.

Yeah, but I’ve got to contribute something here. “Funny video!” doesn’t really validate my paycheck.

Allahpundit on March 1, 2007 at 11:08 AM

I just thought that it was funny. The actors were very good. Of course I saw the ending coming from a mile away. If there’s a theme to it, it’s that jihadis are morons.

But doesn’t the leader look a lot like Salman Rushdie?

SWLiP on March 1, 2007 at 11:23 AM

Michael Shapiro, eh? Jooooooooooooo.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on March 1, 2007 at 11:44 AM

1. Reminds me of the movie Snatch (which is a goog thing)

2. I could buy a thousand with that (I admit it, I was trying to calculate that right before he said it)

3. Was this comedy to make you think? I feel there was an underlying message that didn’t come across.

4. Was this like how Dracula is all for movies and spoofs about him so people forget he is real? (Ok not really, but from that low budget tv show version)

5. Funny

MirCat on March 1, 2007 at 11:58 AM

Ok I think I caught what I was missing and what bugged me.

1. You’re going to die anyway. Only with Jihad you know when and what your reward will be, but without it, it will come without you seeing it and without meaning while you are in hedonistic pleasure.

2. If the reward is the only reason you are doing it, than you do not deserve it and will lose it.

3. The ending, “Yeah, you hit the lottery alright.”

How’s that for over analyzing?

- The Cat

MirCat on March 1, 2007 at 12:12 PM

Okay, thats the best thing I have ever seen!!
wish they’d all end up like that..

Viper1 on March 1, 2007 at 12:50 PM

Forget money, its about power. The leaders of al Qaeda are motivated by accumulating it. Being able to cause death and destruction is better, to them, than having a harem and a PS3.

For the al Qaeda foot soldier, as others have mentioned, they are stifled in their pursuit of freedom and happiness by the despotic gov’t they live under. The whole idea behind democratisation is to give them options to express themselves that aren’t violent and the freedom to chose the path of their lives. In this video money represents the power to live as they chose.

Bill C on March 1, 2007 at 1:33 PM

omg … that was… awesome.

One Angry Christian on March 1, 2007 at 3:45 PM

It’s a Pardoner’s Tale. Death disguised as money.

Alex K on March 1, 2007 at 4:09 PM

You could say he bought the farm with that lotto ticket.

Good times, good times…mmmm.

silenced majority on March 1, 2007 at 5:01 PM

Wait, does this mean the $25 million lotto ticket that any of these guys could get by whacking/capturing UBL and posting it on GooTube isn’t enough but $66 million is the magic number to end the jihad?

ScottMcC on March 1, 2007 at 5:50 PM

What’s the difference?

Uh, the Spain bombers were middle class. The English bombers were middle to upper middle class. Osama was rich, his doctor buddy Dr. Z was a doctor and therefore not poor.

Most the terrorist acts in the US were by middle class guys. They included college students (like the one who drove over people in NC) and such.

Tim Burton on March 1, 2007 at 8:09 PM

Everyone happy? Good. Proceed.

C/b any of your short summations…

Did you get your cynical wit from your mother or your father, or your Italian or Irish side?

What a question – the answer is “both”. Happy. Proceed.

Entelechy on March 1, 2007 at 11:09 PM

I laughed, because it had a sense of truth to it………

Where is “honora”???