Video: Glenn Beck unloads on Olbermann

posted at 9:41 am on February 28, 2007 by Allahpundit

From last night’s show. Gratifying, yet not as gratifying as one might hope simply because it doesn’t rise to the level of viciousness Olbermann himself operates at. One of the reasons righties are disappointed in “The Half-Hour News Hour,” I think, is because they crave the kind of catharsis the left enjoys when watching Stewart and Colbert humiliate their opponents. Ace derides that as “clapper” humor, where the audience laughs and hoots to show its approval of the message, but it’s not as much of a pose as he suggests. They’re genuinely enjoying it, it’s just that it’s less for the funny than the bloodsport. THHNH would be worthy if it was cutting even if it wasn’t funny (i.e., if it was like Olbermann’s show), but it’s neither. It wields a butter knife.

Beck does better than that here, but he’s still carrying a blade to a bazooka fight. No matter. Olby’s ego can’t handle stuff like this, so I’m sure he’ll slag him back. Maybe then GB will break out the heavy artillery.

Comments

Beck’s on point more often than not, but he’s too damn nice. The Kid would’ve hit back with something like, “I’d thank you for the plug if anyone watched your show”, and some other crack about how Olby hasn’t been relevant since they ran him from Sportscenter.

I’m a susbcriber of the Savage kind of verbal murder.

Kid from Brooklyn on February 28, 2007 at 9:55 AM

Get’em GB!

Speaking truth to NUT-power.

GoingThere on February 28, 2007 at 9:55 AM

Someone needs to go an push Olbermann down. Glenn did a nice job – but, like you said, he needs to get more pointed and vicious.

Dr. Gecko on February 28, 2007 at 9:56 AM

Nothing pisses a liberal off more than to be called stupid.

They create these little worlds away from reality where they are special people, different from the rest.

Beck’s voice drives me bonkers.

benrand on February 28, 2007 at 10:00 AM

Nice job, Glenn. Should be fun to watch the ensuing battle.

Valiant on February 28, 2007 at 10:00 AM

Glen used to be more vicious…he’s toned it down since he got on TV…no doubt Headline News told him to take it down a notch before signing the contract.

He’s still great though.

Love the duct tape…

BirdEye on February 28, 2007 at 10:01 AM

Sometime’s it good to be “too damn nice”. My sister is an avowed liberal, but I was just talking to her last night, and she told me she’s starting watching Beck’s show every night… and AGREEING WITH HIM! She likes his presentation, and his views on things.

Next stop… OR, then maybe I’ll introduce her to HA. :-)

dalewalt on February 28, 2007 at 10:01 AM

…nor did Beck mention that there are blogs devoted to Olby’s inability to handle his “man business”.

They’re the talking head equivalent of schoolyard bullies that cower to a corner when they get punched in the mouth.

Exhibit A, and Exhibit B.

Kid from Brooklyn on February 28, 2007 at 10:08 AM

Glenn is more vicious than many of you think. But unlike Olberman, he chooses effectiveness over emotional catharsis.

This is classic GB: he deconstructed Olberman precisely, with a pleasant presentation and a smile on his face.

This is why people like Glenn Beck actually PERSUADE (see, for example, DaleWalt’s post above) … and people like Olbermann repel everyone with any kind of intellect, even on the left.

Being angry is easy. But anger and bile is rarely effective as a persuasive tool. This, above all else, is what most liberals miss (especially in the blogosphere).

It is not “too nice” to choose being effective and persuasive over being ugly – it is simply the more intelligent choice. Sure, it takes more discipline and maturity, and it’s more difficult. But far smarter.

Any imbecile can tell fat jokes. But only other imbeciles, who already agree with everything else you say, is going to be impressed by your fat jokes. Olberman isn’t “vicious.” He’s simply not intelligent enough to actually debate the issues.

Professor Blather on February 28, 2007 at 10:12 AM

I see all of you working, and I truly appreciate the value of a well-reasoned argument wrapped around a pleasant presentation. I honestly do.

However, former Marine that I am, I still live by the 12th General Order.

The problem is, that clowns like Olby will never back down from pleasant conversation. The only thing they truly understand is a swift kick in the balls. Call me an unreasoned imbecile if you wish. The Kid is into Bismarckian Diplomacy.

Pax Via Potentatum, my friends.

Kid from Brooklyn on February 28, 2007 at 10:22 AM

Beck’s voice drives me bonkers.

Is it me, or is his voice totally different on the radio? I have only seen his TV show once and I thought he tried to ham it up a little too much.

lorien1973 on February 28, 2007 at 10:23 AM

Fantastic bit.

It’ll be on E&P tomorrow where they’ll call Glenn an anti-semite or something.

Mortis on February 28, 2007 at 10:26 AM

If you really want to get to a liberal just tell him/her that they are sadly lacking in intelligence and then ask them “didn’t you go to high school”…then step back and watch ‘em scream…To completely ignore that they may have gone to college sets them on fire. I have used this to great success.

DoctorDentons on February 28, 2007 at 10:33 AM

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Yeah……

soulsirkus on February 28, 2007 at 10:50 AM

Well I guess we know who’s going to be “THE WORST PERSON IN TEH WORLD” tonight.

KelliD on February 28, 2007 at 11:00 AM

Smack my Olber-B!TCH up!
That was nice

Defector01 on February 28, 2007 at 11:01 AM

Last night on part three of the Frontline special, Newswar, they had a sly dig at opinion journalists taking over cable news with a picture of Beck.

If you ever want to watch a terribly nauseating MSM self congratulatory piffle, check out this program. Oh how they hate the internet and all the new media sources as they attempt to use them to their benefit.

Bill C on February 28, 2007 at 11:03 AM

I’m pretty sure laughter from clapper humor is legitimate laughter. If the subject of the ridicule is hated enough, the mind sets the bar low for the humor response. The main evolutionary purpose of humor seems to be ridicule, so it’s the easiest humor to do and get a response.

frankj on February 28, 2007 at 11:21 AM

12 General Order:

Walk my post from flank to flank and take no shit from any rank?

=)

Ringmaster on February 28, 2007 at 12:00 PM

“I can smile, and murder while I smile.”
–Richard III

Jim Treacher on February 28, 2007 at 12:08 PM

Ohh, warm fuzzy, really sad I missed that one in person!

opiemuyo on February 28, 2007 at 12:14 PM

Yeahhh baby!

Olberman’s probably already stopped his writers from their current angle, and doing a a “Beck-Centric” monologue as we speak . . .

The Therapist on February 28, 2007 at 12:15 PM

Ringmaster on February 28, 2007 at 12:00 PM

The one and only.

Kid from Brooklyn on February 28, 2007 at 12:21 PM

Olberman is nothing but a liberal hack. Like all liberal minds, he sees outrageous things where none exist, and ignores truly outrageous things like the murder of the innocent unborn.

NRA4Freedom on February 28, 2007 at 12:24 PM

can someone explain the mailbox comment to me?

el75 on February 28, 2007 at 12:26 PM

“Blood shooting out of your eyes liberals.”

*snort*

spmat on February 28, 2007 at 12:45 PM

I hope and pray he responds. This has a lot of potential.

bj1126 on February 28, 2007 at 1:27 PM

“All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others.”

TugboatPhil on February 28, 2007 at 2:00 PM

Stupid is as stupid does. I meant to have that one above over on the YouTube post.

TugboatPhil on February 28, 2007 at 2:01 PM

I love love Glenn Beck. His TV show isn’t nearly as good as his radio show, but he’s getting there.

Not only is he right on the money on all issues important to me, but he is soooo funny on the radio. He cracks me up.

Rightwingsparkle on February 28, 2007 at 2:18 PM

Glenn Beck is the best. Thank God I have my husband watching him and no longer have to put up with Shephard Smith. Now if they would run Beck for a 2nd hour against O’reilly I would be in heaven.

bopbottle on February 28, 2007 at 3:07 PM

However, former Marine that I am, I still live by the 12th General Order.

Kid from Brooklyn on February 28, 2007 at 10:22 AM

I actually followed your link – and discovered that even though I probably haven’t heard them since 1994, I could still recite the General Orders word for word.

Too funny. I could have sworn I’d forgotten all that long ago. That USMC programming is some powerful stuff.

Professor Blather on February 28, 2007 at 3:36 PM

The Kid wrote:

It is true that Olby is a brownshirt like most liberals these days. These people are completely uninterested in civil debate these days, just like their 1930′s German cousins.

Your comment about Bismarckian Diplomacy is interesting. Otto von Bismarck was the uniter of Germany, consolidating an empire from a collection of Mitteleuropean Germanic principalities into the German Empire of the late 19th Century.

A shrewd politician and diplomat, for certain.

I, on the other hand am NOT a diplomat. You see, a diplomat can tell you to go to Hell in such a nice way that you look forward to the trip. I, on the other hand, perfer to save time and be direct about it.

I’m not criticizing you, BTW.

georgej on February 28, 2007 at 4:11 PM

The fun facts on Glenn’s show are hilarious.

Troy Rasmussen on February 28, 2007 at 5:11 PM

Keith Olbermann is a modern day Tokyo Rose

KCtheKat on February 28, 2007 at 6:48 PM

Help me understand this please – How does a dope like Olberman get so much media attention and piss off so many people while posting the lowest ratings on cable news? More adults watch reruns of the Muppets. Then Rolling Stone does a feature on him? scratching my head. I still say he can’t pass a drug test.

iam7545 on February 28, 2007 at 7:34 PM

Glenn Beck is the best thing on TV. That just eats at Keith Obermann.

ctmom on February 28, 2007 at 7:42 PM

still say he can’t pass a drug test.

iam7545 on February 28, 2007 at 7:34 PM

Not bright enough to pass gas either.
/snarky comment

CrimsonFisted on February 28, 2007 at 7:47 PM

Those “Breaking News” banners were funny. Glen is a tad too pragmatic for my taste, but I do enjoy his show when I catch it.

Olberman is like the Wizard of Oz…a small man behind a big facade.

SouthernGent on February 28, 2007 at 7:47 PM

I can’t wait to see Olbermann swing like a girl and hit Glenn.

Keep us updated on the cat fight that is about to come.

Tim Burton on February 28, 2007 at 8:21 PM

Wow, Glenn Beck has an excellent skill for vocal affect.

Seriously, if Olberman is ever sucessful in his liberal-facist agenda to suppress free thought, or if Glenn just wants a hobby, Glenn Beck would make an excellent voice actor.

As a general rule it takes a lot for somone’s voice to impress me, but Glenn Beck has a very diverse range… it reminds me of John Burgmeier’s vocal range. Though there is also a hint of David Kaye’s “Comedic gravitas” in there.

Hmmm, too bad no one around here carries his radio show, and I don’t watch CNN. With a voice like that no wonder he makes a good radio host.

Oh, and I also enjoyed his shot at Olby.

Jones Zemkophill on February 28, 2007 at 8:22 PM

Olber WHO???

I have watched Glenn Beck, but never this other person….is he still on???

Vanquisher on February 28, 2007 at 9:02 PM

For real. OlberWHO??

This man doesn’t have the substantive conviction to believe in anything but his own ratings. Olberman isn’t an idealog, he’s a hustler. He will say or do anything to get the ire, and therefore attention, of his peers. He’s hoping that all the attention will amount to ratings.

Olberman is nothing more than a festering sore on the body of network television. The more we ignore it, the sooner the scab will fall off and be forgotten.

unamused on February 28, 2007 at 11:31 PM

I like his voicework. Sounds nothing like Keith, but he could get a gig as the bad guy in a kid’s cartoon show

Reaps on February 28, 2007 at 11:35 PM

I can’t wait to see Olbermann swing like a girl and hit Glenn.

Keep us updated on the cat fight that is about to come.

Tim Burton on February 28, 2007 at 8:21 PM

I believe Glenn Beck and Danny Bonaduce are of the same cloth. Glen even says so. But on to the point. Push a little and you won’t get much, keep at it and look out pal.

R D on March 1, 2007 at 1:27 AM

In my town I can only get an hour of his radio show. And it is on a station with a weak signal. Oh well. Did not know too much about him til I saw his tv show (not sure what induced me to stumble upon HNN, but glad I did.) Was not aware such intelligence was eminating from CNN. Must have gotten by the netwoks leftist censors before the rating took off. Best show on cable news (or any tv news, for that matter.)
CHOW

chow on March 1, 2007 at 9:24 AM

For those having problems getting the conservative shows they want to listen to try this–

Not all the links will work, but there is usually more than option for each broadcaster so you ought to be able to find something.

smellthecoffee on March 1, 2007 at 1:09 PM