Florida legislator wants to ban term “illegal alien”

posted at 2:06 pm on February 28, 2007 by Ian

Dolt:

A state legislator whose district is home to thousands of Caribbean immigrants wants to ban the term “illegal alien” from the state’s official documents.

“I personally find the word ‘alien’ offensive when applied to individuals, especially to children,” said Sen. Frederica Wilson, D-Miami. “An alien to me is someone from out of space.”

With that kind of thinking, I think it’s safe to conclude Sen. Frederica Wilson is from “out of space.”

Comments

How about illegal wetback? I’m joking! I’m joking!

AP please don’t ban me.

Bill C on February 28, 2007 at 2:10 PM

I think this congressman needs a major upgrade

Defector01 on February 28, 2007 at 2:11 PM

D-Miami. Gee…big surprise.

flipflop on February 28, 2007 at 2:12 PM

Planet Miami.

Kid from Brooklyn on February 28, 2007 at 2:15 PM

Seems easy to fix by picking up the dictionary and looking up the definition.
Where does she think space aliens came from in the first place?

naliaka on February 28, 2007 at 2:16 PM

Someone could use a dictionary.

infidel on February 28, 2007 at 2:16 PM

Next it will be ‘document challenged’.

Limerick on February 28, 2007 at 2:17 PM

“‘Illegal,’ I can live with, but I like ‘undocumented’ better,” she said.

“Idiotic moonbat,” I can live with, but I like “reality-challenged apologist” better.

SailorDave on February 28, 2007 at 2:18 PM

This reminds me…I’ve got to do a 2-week trip throughout Latin America for work. Mexico, Brazil, Argentina…but the first stop on my Latin America trip?

Miami.

(no joke!)

flipflop on February 28, 2007 at 2:20 PM

How old is this woman? This is like how the crazy people talk in nursing homes….

World B. Free on February 28, 2007 at 2:22 PM

Didn’t H.P. Lovecraft write a story called “Out of Space” or some such? (Gotta love Lovecraft…)

SailorDave on February 28, 2007 at 2:18 PM

HAR!! You win!

lan astaslem on February 28, 2007 at 2:22 PM

Next word to be deleted: conservative

to be replaced with “Racist warmongering ****tards”

Defector01 on February 28, 2007 at 2:23 PM

In my gun safe are my wife’s citizenship papers. Why the hell did we even bother? Cost us a small fortune. I could have used that money for beer.

Limerick on February 28, 2007 at 2:26 PM

In Miami-Dade County, Wilson said, “we don’t say ‘alien,’ we say ‘immigrant.’”

That means you are using the wrong word some of the time. ‘Immigrant’ means something very specific and does not properly refer to people temporarilly in the country (students, workers, tourosts, etc.) Yup. Someone needs a dictionary.

db on February 28, 2007 at 2:27 PM

Yup. Someone needs a dictionary.

db on February 28, 2007 at 2:27 PM

Including me! (temporarily, tourist)

db on February 28, 2007 at 2:29 PM

Dissing space aliens?

There goes the Martian Democrat vote in Miami…

JetBoy on February 28, 2007 at 2:29 PM

Perhaps they should be called the “differently credentialed”

uptight on February 28, 2007 at 2:39 PM

Huh…I thought immigrants came from the land of the ice and snow.

How about “extra-legal northward traveler.”

James on February 28, 2007 at 2:48 PM

But it’s for the children.

Don’t these people have assistants to intercept iditioc moments like this? She must have hired family members.

reaganaut on February 28, 2007 at 2:49 PM

I personally find the word ‘alien’ offensive when applied to individuals

I personally find the word ‘competent’ offensive when applied to state legislators.

fogw on February 28, 2007 at 2:53 PM

How about “illegal alien criminal”.

right2bright on February 28, 2007 at 2:58 PM

I must be an alien because I am “out of space” every night when the dog jumps into bed on my right and old hubby is on the left.

bopbottle on February 28, 2007 at 3:01 PM

How ’bout: “People what ain’t sposta be here an needta git the $%#* out, NOW!”

db on February 28, 2007 at 3:02 PM

Hmmmm, my dad used to have a book around the house titled Romans and Aliens, a scholarly work about Roman and barbarian (oops, I mean non city dwelling peoples) socio political relations. I never knew it dealt with Martians as well!

/sarc off

You see, THIS is what comes of the death of the true Liberal Education. When PC drivel is shoved down our throats for so long, we end up with idiots like this woman running the show and saying idiotic things with no one the wiser (barring the few who actually know that liberal was once not synonymous with socialist). So, her moronic comments and “for the children” rhetoric will receive a pass in large segments of the population because no one bothers with anything written by dead white men anymore unless they have Russian or German surnames.

What’s really ironic is that Caesar would have glorified in the term Martian and would have been annoyed to have it used to describe the aliens he was busy subjugating! After all, a Martian is a follower of the god of War…

Militant Bibliophile on February 28, 2007 at 3:07 PM

Militant Bibliophile on February 28, 2007 at 3:07 PM

Excuse me but it is not “liberal” anymore it is “progressive”.
Puhl-lease be accurate…you extreme right wing Christian conservative.

right2bright on February 28, 2007 at 3:20 PM

How about “untaxed free-health care freedom fighter?”

robblefarian on February 28, 2007 at 3:23 PM

Hmmmm, I’ve got to get up to date. I am still using the old term “wetback”. Is that racial?

navy1946 on February 28, 2007 at 3:34 PM

I would suugest she read some Orwell, but then I remembered that they don’t look at his books as warning but as blueprints.

bbz123 on February 28, 2007 at 3:46 PM

The First Amendment is so over-rated.

Hey, can we ban the phrase “reality based community,” too, since we’re banning stuff? That phrase always makes me laugh really, really hard, especially when I see stuff like this. And that can be dangerous when you’re driving, or drinking hot coffee, or windsurfing off the coast of Massachussetts.

Banning stuff is fun! Liberals sure loves them some freedom, don’t they!

Professor Blather on February 28, 2007 at 4:02 PM

Another Democrat with crap for brains.

The term Illegal Alien comes directly the definition in the US Code.

georgej on February 28, 2007 at 4:19 PM

The term Illegal Alien comes directly the definition in the US Code.

georgej on February 28, 2007 at 4:19 PM

Well, yeah. But the US Code is clearly racist, xenophobic, and patriarchal.

C’mon. It’s the man, keeping us down. Didn’t you get the memo?

Professor Blather on February 28, 2007 at 4:27 PM

She comes from the Cynthia McKenny, Sheila Jackson Lee school of political speech.

DoctorDentons on February 28, 2007 at 5:30 PM

Hmmmmm, good point right2bright. I’d forgotten the attempt to legitimize themselves by claiming the name of another group of misguided do-gooders! And because of the results of the aforementioned educational circumstances, no one calls them on it! It’s like some kind of twisted feed-back loop…

Oh, and you forgot “gun nut!”

Militant Bibliophile on February 28, 2007 at 5:49 PM

Someone who needs to get a visa-offset. (I’m not letting this go.)

Mojave Mark on February 28, 2007 at 6:08 PM

Typical Democrat who wants to outlaw free speech. Like a good Stalinist, he simply makes illegal the phrases that express ideas that do not toe the part line.

Tantor on February 28, 2007 at 6:22 PM

We can solve the whole problem by referring to them as Foreign Interlopers. That shouldn’t insult anyone, right?.

RedinBlueCounty on February 28, 2007 at 6:48 PM

Maybe the esteemed public servant can sell “illegal alien credits”?

But we are forgeting something:

“A state agency or official may not use the term ‘illegal alien’ in an official document of the state.” There would be no penalty for using the words.

If there is no penalty, then why take the time, money and effort in the first place?

Aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh………. “Illegal Aling Voters!”

PinkyBigglesworth on February 28, 2007 at 9:16 PM

PB it’s a nonbinding resolution, liberals progressives seem to love them. They flap their jaws and vote on things that do nothing, mean nothing, have no penalty etc. It’s all the rage these days. See also vote for something before voting against it.

I’ll suggest we shorten illegal alien and illegal immigrant to plain CRIMINAL.

Buzzy on February 28, 2007 at 9:43 PM

Next word to be deleted: conservative
to be replaced with “Racist warmongering ****tards”

Defector01 on February 28, 2007 at 2:23 PM

Yep, that’s the future. Currently they use the word “conservative” in place of the word “Islamic.”

In the latest case highlighting how conservative customs threaten women’s rights in Pakistan, Nooran Umrani alleges that, despite paying off her late husband’s debt of $165, she was threatened with harm if she failed to hand over her daughter, Rasheeda.— (from this story)

Maxx on February 28, 2007 at 11:41 PM

I agree they should not be called illegal aliens. They should be called CRIMINAL ALIENS because that’s what they
are.
****** CRIMINAL ALIEN PARASITES *****

PoliticallyIncorrectSandy on March 1, 2007 at 12:18 AM

And for short….”Latino Leeches”

Mellen on March 1, 2007 at 12:36 AM

Teh Dictionary.

Space Alien is the one from outter space. Though they prefer Extraterrestrial.

- The Cat

MirCat on March 1, 2007 at 1:13 AM

Maybe if we call them crusaders, the jihadies will declare war against them, and it will be ok to be anti-illegal immigrant again.

JackM on March 1, 2007 at 12:57 PM