A report of a bomb killing 18 people, mostly children, on Tuesday in the Iraqi city of Ramadi was wrong and stemmed from confusion over a similar attack the day before, police officials and residents said on Wednesday.
The reported killing of so many children drew swift condemnation from the president and the prime minister, but Colonel Tariq al Theibani, security adviser for Anbar province, said the report of the bombing on Tuesday was wrong.
“It happened the day before yesterday,” he told Reuters.
He said 18 people, many of them children, were killed on Monday by a suicide car bomb, as previously reported…
Theibani said the confusion may have arisen partly because the victims of Monday’s car bomb were buried on Tuesday.
The loud blast from Tuesday’s controlled explosion near a soccer field may have also contributed to the confusion.
More from WaPo:
“It’s a tragedy that the kids are targeted,” [Col. Tariq al-Alwani] said. “The kids we consider as a message to the world.” He said news of the bombing had emerged a day late because most reporters have left Ramadi out of concern for their safety.
It’s tempting to draw grand truths about the state of Iraq reporting from the fact that the AP, Reuters, AFP, and UPI all reported the bombing as having happened on Tuesday, but their sources were solid — local police and state TV — and blame was laid squarely at the feet of AQ, not the U.S. There’s no lesson here, I think, except maybe not to trust everything you see on al-Iraqiya.
Consider this a formal clarification of yesterday’s item.