Bombshell: Many teenagers find high school boring

posted at 10:32 am on February 28, 2007 by Allahpundit

You know what these kids need? A good, old-fashioned self-esteem boost.

No, seriously, I blame the cult of Emo. I hear you get “points” for declaring yourself bored by your classes. Albeit not as many points as draping your hair over your eye to see the world “in half-view.”

Comments

The cult of Elmo? I knew there was something sinister about Sesame Street!

Aldo on February 28, 2007 at 10:50 AM

I wear black on the outside because that’s how I feel on the inside…

EFG on February 28, 2007 at 10:52 AM

Next bombshell: Most workers bored at the office.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on February 28, 2007 at 10:53 AM

If you all want to know more about the dark heart of Emo, this much suffering girl will cue you in.

Gothtard indeed.

Hope Is Emo: Chapter One “The Words Are Dying”

EFG on February 28, 2007 at 10:57 AM

Disclaimer: Hope is Emo is a parody.

EFG on February 28, 2007 at 11:00 AM

Beer = Cure to Emo.

Anybody remember the SNL skit with the goth kids. Chris Kitaen (SP?) was Ariel who constantly got picked on by Todd (Will Farrell). I hope my kids don’t turn into morose losers but if they do I plan on dealing with it with relentless ridicule.

Bill C on February 28, 2007 at 11:10 AM

Reminds me of “Tickle me Emo”…

So, some are emo…and some just look the part?

How sad to be an emo poser

JetBoy on February 28, 2007 at 11:13 AM

I wish my lawn was emo…then it’d cut itself.

jdpaz on February 28, 2007 at 11:15 AM

Good grief. What next.

“Emo” – another term I’ll be adding to my net monitoring software so it can block any reference to this ridiculous crap.

BacaDog on February 28, 2007 at 11:19 AM

…we have some kids that are acting out, where they’re doing a lot of self cutting, self mutilitation. There’s no psychological problem with the young children.blockquote>

Ummmmm…WRONG!!!! If one of my children is cutting himself, talking about suicide, thinking of acting it out. Guess what folks, THAT’S a problem.

Where is the EMO’s version of Jeff Foxworthy???

Do you have slits on your wrists…You might be an EMO.

I never thought I’d say that I’ve become like my parents, BUT c’mon parents. Let’s do your job here folks!!!!!

HarryStar on February 28, 2007 at 11:34 AM

“God, that paragraph they made us read on Abraham Lincoln went on, like, for-EV-er.”

saint kansas on February 28, 2007 at 11:35 AM

Where is the EMO’s version of Jeff Foxworthy???

Do you have slits on your wrists…You might be an EMO.

HarryStar on February 28, 2007 at 11:36 AM

Bill C, you are so right. If these kids were treated with the relentless ridicule they deserve, this stage of their life would last all of two seconds. Everyone is so concerned about tolerance, and being careful not to offend, that they seem to forget when many of us were kids, terms like life is rough, and kids can be so cruel were thrown around. These are bad things?

rayvet on February 28, 2007 at 11:37 AM

Many teenagers find high school boring

I don’t buy it. I’ll need to see a few more studies and the methodolgy of this one. Something is fishy here, that’s all I know.

RightWinged on February 28, 2007 at 11:44 AM

its probably the ritalin that’s making them bored
give them sugar lets see what happens

Defector01 on February 28, 2007 at 11:45 AM

EMO? pu-leeeze. these kids need to get a life. how pathetic. When I was in high school, the guys with the hair swooping down in their faces were the skaters and surfers who played hackysack after class. they were cool. as soon as they hit college, they cut their hair and became good little conservatives. hopefully, someone will knock some sense into these kids.

Does anyone on this board know what “drives” kids to act like this? just curious. it is so out of my realm of understanding…

pullingmyhairout on February 28, 2007 at 11:52 AM

Being of the Emo Generation *sigh* I can say that relentless ridicule won’t help much at all. All it does is enforce their beliefs. They are deep, they are emotional, the world is ugly and is trying to harm them, they are special. It’s a perverted narcissism.

I can tell you now that they are relentlessly criticized at school. It’s a joke really. They are pretty much a bunch of shallow losers writing bad poetry and listening to bad music, while wearing terrible hairstyles and clothing. The way to defeat the emo is to get rid of their belief that they are somehow more sensitive than anyone else, and that their shallow views are actually deep.

Keljeck on February 28, 2007 at 11:53 AM

The emo/goth/slacker/stoner groups are all about social acceptance. Maybe you can’t be the captain of the football team, but there’s a group that’ll accept you…and you don’t have to be good at anything. In fact you’re encouraged to not care about anything except yourself. Finally, someplace to belong. I think these popped up when kids stopped playing ball in the vacant lot.

jdpaz on February 28, 2007 at 11:56 AM

For those of you not used to emo poetry I think it helps you know what I mean by how they believe they are deep but actually rather shallow. This is a perfect example of the archetypical emo poem.

In the streets of hell.
Where we lost are dreams in the flames.
There’s darkness everywhere,
There have Burned bodies all around.

I try to get out of the flames,
There’s a light coming down
From the sky above.

The St. Mark is the light coming down.
Bringing gifts,hope and drugs to all.
What the hell is your problum and what’s your story?!

He tells everyone that it’s okay!
Just blame our family and friends.
It’s Not are fault.

One More Swipe
I am sitting here in my cold and dark room.
I try to forget my pain and sadness,
But it just does not go away.
My family and friends will sure miss me.

This is the night it’s ends,
I will regret this moment.
Until the end of time.

How will I forgive myself?
Let it all end in one more swipe.

Note the overabundance of words such as darkness, hell, fire. It’s always very dark. Also similar to how most comedies ended in weddings and tragedies ended in deaths, so too must the emo poem end with “the blade.” All emo poetry has to do with the loss of a loved one and how that’s brought them to suicide because no one understands.

Keljeck on February 28, 2007 at 12:09 PM

Well, cry me a river, waaaaah! I teach high school, and I am not impressed. For the most part they are a bunch of over pampered whiners and I have ZERO sympathy for them.

Seat time means a passing grade, doncha know? And I TRIED, so I should get an A, right? Aw, come on…I can’t get into college with that grade!

Worse part? I get the same whinges from PARENTS.

I could go on and on, but will spare you. :)

Bob's Kid on February 28, 2007 at 12:16 PM

being as i went to HS with a lot of emo kids…and have unfortunately been around groups of them at various functions…here is a good summation.

boys: the hair is long in the front, swiped across the face. looks glued on and flat most of the time. most of the time looks FILTHY. wear girls jeans that make their hips look massive, and tight zipper sweatshirts that make their tummies bulge. a lot of these emo guys arent stick thin and look funny this way. many wear converse, have a star tattoo somewhere, and have a plug in their earlobe. some prefer to wear tight gloves or multiple plastic rings around their wrists.

girls: very short cropped hair that comes in the face a lot. really tight pants that are short, come to about above the ankle. or tights under skirts. HUGE sunglasses, plugs in ears, lots of dyed hair.
LOTS OF STRIPES. black and pink, green and white combos.
POLKA DOTS.

this type of ridiculous looking fashion is emo/”scenester”
mix of 80s, punk, and stupid

blatantblue on February 28, 2007 at 12:16 PM

Yeah, because my parents found high school =scintillating=, so something must be different now.

Actually, my high school was much more interesting than my parents’… but then I went to geek school and we did stuff like make tri-nitrocellulose, built hovercraft, and made code that produced fractals. So now you know what I think is cool. It would have been neat to have had industrial arts in high school like my Dad did, but you can’t have everything.

meep on February 28, 2007 at 12:17 PM

Kids in my youth group either 1) are emo, or 2) make fun of emo kids. Tough tension there…

Hard to know what to say to someone who believes it is cool to cut yourself.

nailinmyeye on February 28, 2007 at 12:19 PM

High school boring? Here are two things that are way more boring:

1. Supposedly Scary Teen Fashion Trends

2. Local TV News Coverage of Supposedly Scary Teen Fashion Trends

liberrocky on February 28, 2007 at 12:40 PM

And if people have not seen the Tickle Me Emo MadTv thing

liberrocky on February 28, 2007 at 12:45 PM

EMO

Emotionally Mental Obsessives

The song says it all…if it was on anything but UcanTUBE2

GoingThere on February 28, 2007 at 12:56 PM

Uhhhhh, I don’t get it….

Here in California, you can’t swing a dead cat in the air without hitting another request for more funding by the Teacher’s Union in every election.

They even run daily radio adds, espousing who “teachers are wonderful”, “vote for your favorite teacher”, “teachers matter……”

I even caught a glimpse of the last “Teacher of the Year” award ceremony……. you think the Oscars had “Bling”?

But don’t ask for vouchers…….. no Charter Schools…….. Don’t you dare Home School your children…..

73 percent said, “I didn’t like the school.”
61 percent said, “I didn’t like the teachers.”
60 percent said, “I didn’t see the value in the work I was being asked to do.”
About 25 percent said, “No adults in the school cared about me.”

Yeah, all we need to do is throw more money at the Teacher’s Unions, teach self esteem over the basics, teach revionist history (hate America, hate BuchCo), have the political agenda of every homosexual and liberal ooze out of every crevice, every book, every nook and crany…..

If you pay for something, don’t be surprised if you get it.

PinkyBigglesworth on February 28, 2007 at 2:27 PM

Geez am I getting old. When I was young it was DEVO. Which come to think of it made my parents want to cut themselves. Awwwwwwwwwe Whip it good….

soulsirkus on February 28, 2007 at 2:30 PM

Well yeah, seeing as they are teaching the liberal point of view. How many Al Gore enviornmental speaches could you listen to?

right2bright on February 28, 2007 at 3:17 PM

Why do any of you act surprised.

I will date myself I graduated from High School in 1976.

It was still legal to “swat” a student for violating a rule. Shirts had to be tucked IN. Get into a fight, the vice-principle dragged you down to the boxing ring, put over sized gloves and head gear on you, then the two of you beat the hell out each other till neither of you could stand up. Then the real punishment began, it usually meant several weeks of cleaning bathrooms, scrubbing graffiti off the walls or cleaning gum off the underside of desks.

The message was simple certain kinds of behavior WILL NOT BE TOLERATED.

We got A’s, B’s, C’s, D’s and F’s. No “Bell Curved Grading” and F meant you scored under 60%. You get and F you take again, you don’t have enough credits to graduate you don’t. The school had standards and we where required to meet them.

(Notice the use of the word “required”)

When we allowed our schools to quit “requiring” you learn the Three R’s and allowed them spend more time on “feelings”….

Well we got what we asked for.

Bogeyfre on February 28, 2007 at 3:36 PM

Sorry should have said “Why would anyone”

Bogeyfre on February 28, 2007 at 3:42 PM

I was bored in high skrewl, too (graduated in 1992).

Granted, I went to a small rural skrewl that had zero emphasis on learning and academic achievement. No math past Algebra II. We watched cartoon movies in English class and did word searches in government class. Between classes, the chick with the locker next to mine had sex with her boyfriend right there in the hallway. I’m pretty sure the only reason the school existed was because you can’t have a high school football team with no high school; we went to the state playoffs nine years in a row.

I was the valedictorian. Most of my classmates couldn’t read our diploma.

It was truly state-mandated day care; more gubbament money wouldn’t have improved it. More federal and state programs wouldn’t have improved it. A tac nuke might have improved it.

I would have sold myself into white slavery to get into a better school, if I’d known such things existed.

Radish on February 28, 2007 at 3:58 PM

Radish on February 28, 2007 at 3:58 PM

ah huh..

Wade on February 28, 2007 at 5:49 PM

If they think high school is boring wait until they get in the unemployment line.

Tantor on February 28, 2007 at 6:37 PM

So, I guess high school hasn’t changed much….yawn!

Mellen on March 1, 2007 at 12:38 AM