Video: Coulter on Gore: “he may be a hypocrite but at least he’s not a moron”

posted at 1:02 pm on February 27, 2007 by Ian

Ann Coulter along with environmental whackivists Daryl Hannah and Jon Coifman appeared on Hannity & Colmes last night to discuss Algore’s enormous energy bill.

Coulter laid out Gore in this gem:

Coulter: “I kind of respect him more, it shows he is not stupid enough to believe all this global warming nonsense. He’s trying to get us to believe. Okay, fine, he may be a hypocrite but at least he’s not a moron.”

Al Gore’s office sent a response to “Think” Progress using the same rhetoric they used last time:

1) Gore’s family has taken numerous steps to reduce the carbon footprint of their private residence, including signing up for 100 percent green power through Green Power Switch, installing solar panels, and using compact fluorescent bulbs and other energy saving technology.

2) Gore has had a consistent position of purchasing carbon offsets to offset the family’s carbon footprint — a concept the right-wing fails to understand. Gore’s office explains:

What Mr. Gore has asked is that every family calculate their carbon footprint and try to reduce it as much as possible. Once they have done so, he then advocates that they purchase offsets, as the Gore’s do, to bring their footprint down to zero.

These people obviously don’t get the point — or refuse to acknowledge it. The problem isn’t so much as Gore’s consumption of energy, but that he asks us common folk to live a modest lifestyle while he’s living it up. Hypocrite indeed.

Like Hannity said, these “carbon offsets” are nothing but a farce. These “carbon offsets” are nothing more than indulgences in the Church of Liberalism.

Update (AP): “If we’re looking at gondolas floating down Wall Street in 20 years, what good does it do to plant some trees?”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I’m now selling Carbon Offsets. 1/2 price ( the trees have to grow a little more).
I’ll have to buy a couple myself ya see, cause I have to drive to get them, then to go plant them, and then drive back….
on the 1/2 off

15% off Carbon Offsets, get em now.

shooter on February 27, 2007 at 8:27 PM

shooter on February 27, 2007 at 8:27 PM

Now that would piss off the liberals, Wal-Mart selling carbon offsets for 1/2 price.

right2bright on February 27, 2007 at 8:49 PM

What happened to Daryl Hannah, she looks like a male in drag, not that she was ever a beauty but she might want to cut down on the testosterone. How about some testosterone offset better know as estrogen.

Wade on February 27, 2007 at 9:05 PM

Oh, great. Now the impoverished have another thing they can’t afford to buy, find themselves envious and will have to have it given to them.
Carbon Offset welfare?

hahahah…I just blew snot bubbles!

silenced majority on February 27, 2007 at 9:06 PM

Seriously, what does an Offset look like? Is it bigger than a bread box?

silenced majority on February 27, 2007 at 9:10 PM

Carbon Offset welfare?

Carbon offset envy….

Wade on February 27, 2007 at 9:16 PM

I’m driving a lot more now. I am looking to buy beach front property in Labrador, Canada or Greenland.

SouthernGent on February 27, 2007 at 9:24 PM

Side Note: What the heck is he doing to use that much electricity? His mansion isn’t 20X larger than the average American house. He doesn’t have 20X more people living there than the average american household. He doesn’t even live there full time.

JadeNYU on February 27, 2007 at 4:48 PM

He has his movie plaing 24/7 and listens to Etheridge and is using his adult toys to keep Tipper happy.

bones47 on February 27, 2007 at 9:31 PM

It’s see-dubya’s thread, hands down today.
bling!

Can we sell see-dubya offsets to other blogs?

naliaka on February 27, 2007 at 9:42 PM

I STILL don’t get how anyone, using a sample of 100 years, out of the entire history of EARTH, to predict climate change, can call him/herself a “scientist.”

It’s like predicting one’s whole life course by 3 seconds of a human day.

That is not science, that’s divination, and it’s crap! Scientific method, anyone??

Thanks for the link to the Couric article, Entelechy, I really enjoyed the comments. That woman is truly, an elitist scrub brush.

tickleddragon on February 27, 2007 at 10:42 PM

I’ve decided to buy a few carbon offsets by trading my wife’s car in for that Harley I’ve always wanted. Do you think that will meet with AlGore’s approval?

old_dawg on February 27, 2007 at 10:50 PM

I have ridden my bike to work for the last 14 years. I should be able to retire like a king when I redeem all those carbon credits I’ve been banking. What a load of horse carbon!

Vanquisher on February 27, 2007 at 10:51 PM

carbon offsets and other tripe invented by libs as a way to allow them to do as they wish, and not feel guilty about it, is like saying ” I am going on a diet, but paying someone else not to eat for me” thereby creating a “neutral assprint” in the seat of the limo you will ride in to receive your next award from the fawning morons. The fact that your “carbonated assprint” is getting wider by the moment is offset by the weight lost by the kid you are paying to diet for you, AND you get to feel good about yourself about being able to buy your guilt off.

colorfulbeachpersona on February 27, 2007 at 11:28 PM

Since this thread still has life…sorry for the dupl. post from the “Jeb Bush as president” thread…

Heard on the John and Ken show today – guest was one of the men from the Tennessee Center for Policy Research, the folks who ‘undressed’ papa ‘Climate Change’:

- this gent sat watching the Oscars, befuddled at all that glory
- got the idea to check this out
- called the utility company the next day, got the high/low/average consumption numbers
- the rest was all checked out by the local and other media, as a result of this initial effort
- there are gas lamps leading the driveway to this Gore house
- there’s an all-year heated swimming pool at the compound
- the Gores claim that they work from the house and thus the bill is so high – to which the guest said “they must be running his movie in a continuous loop”
- the ‘credits’ have only been bought in the last 3 months
- the credits and the ’scheme’ might work some day but can’t be proven today. He compared them to the rich having bought off fighters in the civil war, to go fight for them “I, rich Gore, buy credits for consumption because someone else is poor and can’t/shouldn’t use as many as I am”
- why the need for 3 homes, especially if you work in this one
- why the need for so much energy, if you travel so much to make more money and to promote yourself
- that guy who lives the low-energy-consumption life, on the home channel show s/b the real eco-god (sorry his name escapes me)
- Mr. Gore’s response still doesn’t negate anything – they accepted all the figures, as is. He’s still a big hypocrit
- called Mr. Gore’s “carbon footprint” a carbon canyon

Above is a summation from memory. For exact details, KFM 640 Burbank.

Also, they’re going to check out the facts on eco-papa’s other homes.

Entelechy on February 27, 2007 at 11:30 PM

There yet may be some positive developments from Gore’s publicity.

Perhaps Gore’s prodding will move us in that direction more quickly.

omegaram on February 27, 2007 at 11:51 PM

In my opinion the combination of Fission power with Hydrogen for a mobile fuel source is the best energy solution. The closer we move to that solution the better off we will be. –omegaram

Eh… fission? Riiight. And hydrogen currently requires more energy than it creates. Barring widespread nuclear, it’s a no-go.

And if we do start using those things, it’s because we want to start using those things… not because Al wants us to.

DaveS on February 28, 2007 at 1:01 AM

That over-the-top shoutfest is why I almost never watch H&C anymore (flipping channels and saw it last night). She was like a car wreck, talking over everybody, raving on about construction materials and “candles” which no one ever brought up.

carlitos on February 27, 2007 at 3:34 PM

I think she is just taking a point from Allen…. watch his next interview…… from the talkin over points, to the last little digs……..

PinkyBigglesworth on February 28, 2007 at 2:38 AM

One of Gore’s defenses is that he is “signing up for 100 percent green power through Green Power Switch,” which is a Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) program: http://www.tva.gov/greenpowerswitch/index.htm

When you sign up for Green Power Switch, you pay an extra $4 per “block” of 150 kWh. According to the website, this is about 12% of the average home’s monthly energy usage (or, less than 1% of Al Gore’s energy needs). So he pays an extra $400 a month or whatever, and he’s off the hook. Or is he?

Reading the fine print, you learn that the TVA is only producing enough “renewable energy” to supply about 6800 homes. (12% multiplied by 54,000 homes.) Since the TVA serves more than 3 million households, that means it produces only enough renewable energy to power less than one half of one percent of its customers.

From the website: “TVA has the capacity to provide as much as 97 million kilowatt-hours of green power annually. Physical laws determine where electricity is ultimately used, so power from these sources will go into TVA’s electric system as part of the Valley’s total power mix, rather than to individual homes or businesses. When the green power resources aren’t operating — for instance, when wind speeds are too low to generate energy — TVA’s other resources will continue to supply reliable electricity.”

So the TVA is producing this energy from “green power sources” regardless of whether you pay extra or not. It’s not as if you pay extra and the power company pulls a switch, sending you electricity from gentle, harmless windmills (save for the occasional stray bird kill) instead of smog-belching coal plants.

And it only enough produces enough to supply about 6800 homes. If more than 6800 TVA customers have signed up for “100% green power,” the extra money just goes into the TVA’s pocket (a government utility, incidentally). Sounds like a scam, actually. If “renewable energy” was truly more efficient than fossil fuels, then the utility companies would jump all over it.

Cato on February 28, 2007 at 5:09 AM

“Carbon offsets” are the environut’s equivalent of “Hail Mary’s” and “Our Father’s”.

So I guess it is ok to “destroy” the planet as long as you pay as you go?

FOLLOW THE MONEY! THAT is what it’s all about. These idiots want to destroy America.

Talon on February 28, 2007 at 6:58 AM

Are carbon offsets cheaper if I buy them by the case? And what’s the shelf life? Will they spoil if they’re not refrigerated?

Most importantly, do they come in Earth-friendly containers made of 100% recycled material?

flipflop on February 28, 2007 at 7:53 AM

This “carbon offsets” silliness is – without exception – the single dumbest thing liberals have ever come up with.

I know, I know – but there are so many other things!

Nope. This is it. In two little words, all of liberalism is perfectly captured and brilliantly illustrated. It is the absolute pinnacle of far-left elitist thought. It is the perfect example of the cognitive dissonance that all liberals must embrace.

Really. It’s that good. It deserves a shrine in a museum. A granite monument on a hill top. It is liberalism in a nutshell.

If aliens came to Earth and asked, “What is this liberalism of which you speak?” – I would respond with just those two words: “carbon offsets.”

Any rational person doing a quick Wiki search for carbon offsets will instantly learn all they’ll ever need to know about liberalism. Seriously. It’s … well, it’s beautiful.

Other than God Himself and Jessica Alba (who, being a creation of God Himself, can’t really be counted), it is just about impossible to find perfection in our imperfect world.

But “carbon offsets” is an exception. They are perfect. In every way. In fact, their perfection as a tool for explaining liberalism is just so perfectly perfect, I suspect God Himself created “carbon offsets” for that very purpose.

Never again will we witness such perfect idiocy. A single tear tracks down my cheek as I gape in awe at the perfection of this liberal stupidity.

It’s just … so … perfect.

Professor Blather on February 28, 2007 at 8:00 AM

Cato: Your numbers frighten and confuse me. All I want to know is, does it help or hurt those darling penguins? They’re so cute!

Professor Blather: Best. Post. Ever. (Though I’d ask you not to bring up Ms. Alba in the same thread as Ann Coulter, a real-live honest-to-God grown-up woman.)

saint kansas on February 28, 2007 at 10:33 AM

Ann Coulter is my pin-up girl.

Decoy256 on February 28, 2007 at 10:43 AM

This is much sharper than merely engaging him at the level of calling him a hypocrite. I’m delighted by this.

Kralizec on February 28, 2007 at 1:33 PM

flipflop on February 28, 2007 at 7:53 AM

They come in wrapped in soft Harp Seal fur, cushioned by whale blubber, with a leather hide carrying handle. Quite beautiful actually.
But wait, that’s not all…order today and you get a signed DVD of Al Gore’s Inconvient Truth.

But wait, I’m not finished…sign the “I believe in Global Warming” petition and we will give you one month free of carbon offsets (redeemable sometime in the future).

What? There’s more? Yes we will thow in an upside down American Flag, Peace symbol button, and face paint if you order now…lines are open.

That’s, not all. You mean there is more?…we have unlimitied quantities of disgust and hate for America, we will distribute that free to everyone who orders their CARBON OFFSETS today.

“I’d Gladly Pay You Tuesday for a carbon offset Today.” in all due respect to Wimpy.

right2bright on February 28, 2007 at 2:54 PM