My Year Inside Radical Islam

posted at 9:30 am on February 27, 2007 by Bryan

Gartenstein-Ross: My Year Inside Radical Islam

Download for your iPod

Comments

I love stuff like this.

I have always wished someone would mole deep inside the DemocraT party, but I’m not sure how long they could keep their lunch down and their mouth shut.

seejanemom on February 27, 2007 at 9:33 AM

Honestly, he speaks well… but I think he is smitten with MM. :)

Rick Donaldson on February 27, 2007 at 9:51 AM

Great interview. Looking fwd to tomorrow’s.

He brings up a great point about our actions being consistent with our beliefs. Faith should be more than something I do on Sunday morning (or Saturday…or Friday…etc). If we truly believe this stuff is real it should direct our actions and thoughts every day.

Unfortunately, a faith in a plain reading of the Koran leads to the type of militant actions we see today (and all through Islam’s history). But, as Mr Gartenstein-Ross points out so well, we shouldn’t judge a belief system on whether we like what it says or not. It should only be judged on whether we believe it’s true or not. If we believe it’s true we should act accordingly.

jdpaz on February 27, 2007 at 10:44 AM

I think I’ve been Enlightened by this! The second definition of enlightened that is.

Drtuddle on February 27, 2007 at 10:44 AM

I love stuff like this.

seejanemom on February 27, 2007 at 9:33 AM

YOUR right on, no one with a brain could take it to long,LOL

bones47 on February 27, 2007 at 10:57 AM

People are suspicious and make a big deal that Mitt Romney will try to establish a kingdom in the US based on his religious beliefs when there is no evidence that his religion teaches that concept. The MSM does not defend him.

Keith Ellison is actually elected to congress as a Muslim and the MSM is apologetic even though there is tons of examples that Muslims want to establish a Muslim religious state.

:-(

csdeven on February 27, 2007 at 10:57 AM

Funny…I just started reading this book a couple days ago. It’s very well-written.

flipflop on February 27, 2007 at 11:02 AM

Honestly, he speaks well… but I think he is smitten with MM.

Duh!

Add me to that list.

saint kansas on February 27, 2007 at 11:04 AM

Man! There’s no possible way I could ever embrace a religion that would require me to give up music! That just ain’t right!

Farmer_Joe on February 27, 2007 at 11:17 AM

Rock on Bro! “A O Let’s Go!” or “A O Let’s Roll!”

Drtuddle on February 27, 2007 at 11:35 AM

Great Vent Michelle!

The more we know about the Muslims in our midst the better off we are. I look forward to hearing more of this interview.

omegaram on February 27, 2007 at 11:50 AM

So how do the beheaders justify adding music soundtracks to their snuff vids? Is the man at the top of the tower using musical chanting for a call to prayer?

Having an imam explain FGM is a sure method to get bogged down in irrelevent spin.

allie on February 27, 2007 at 12:14 PM

WOW!

“The one thing you can’t say about Jesus is exactly what I thought of him which is that he was a good and wise teacher.”

This is exactly what I think of the guy. Ok, you sold me with that sentence. I’ll buy your book.

Kevin M on February 27, 2007 at 12:23 PM

Great work Michelle.

IndependentConserv on February 27, 2007 at 12:27 PM

Another excellent interview. This was well worth the time to watch, and cant wait for part two. Thanks HA crew.

infidel on February 27, 2007 at 1:08 PM

Very informative Michelle. So basically they take young, impressionable men that easily volunteer their isolation because of the acceptance they receive from radical Islamists.
And the Saudis just sit back and wait.

oakpack on February 27, 2007 at 2:11 PM

If I had to speculate, I’d say that there’s probably a loophole for using music in the service of Islam. The prohibition being against secular music. For myself, let’s just say that the man who tries to separate me from my Coltrane CDs is gonna be in a world of hurt.

Farmer_Joe on February 27, 2007 at 2:22 PM

Great interview. Very interesting. Too bad he didn’t look into Judaism instead.

WriterMom on February 27, 2007 at 4:55 PM

Excellent Interview.

Well done.

But I need to ask, what’s with the ball caps all the time? If it is to tone down your TV aura so you don’t out-shine the interviewee, it isn’t working.

Lawrence on February 27, 2007 at 5:12 PM

In general, he misunderstands true Sufi Islam. (And misunderstanding is usually what you get when you encounter these brief Muslim converts who really don’t know that much about the religion as they profess.)

While, as I’ve noted, today, Sufism has become a “mystical” and largely peaceful form of Islam followed by such hippie fake adherents as actress Ellen Barkin, etc. it was, in fact, a non-mystical, extremely violent form of Islam. Just ask Saladin.

Debbie Schlussel on February 27, 2007 at 5:51 PM

Dr. Andrew Bostom has put together this piece, which will give you a clearer view of the Sufis and what non-Muslims can expect from them:

heroyalwhyness on February 27, 2007 at 7:25 PM

… Sufism has become a “mystical” and largely peaceful form of Islam followed by such hippie fake adherents …

Debbie Schlussel on February 27, 2007 at 5:51 PM

Hmm… mystical, largely peacful, fake adherents,…

Sounds a lot like American heterodox neo-evangelicalism.

Lot’s of good feelings, little substance, and no solid footing to handle dedicated asaults against their cultural ideology.

Point being that these so-called moderate Muslims are in just as much danger (if not more danger) from fundamental Islamo-fascism as the rest of us Dhimmi’s.

Lawrence on February 27, 2007 at 8:36 PM

Dangit..hurry up with part 2.

Great interview, btw.

spmat on February 27, 2007 at 9:48 PM

Great interview Michelle, nicely done.

Debbie has a point, there are what.. five major “sects” of islam? are any really “peaceful”?

Robert Spencer, are you out there? Help us out…

Zorro on February 27, 2007 at 9:51 PM

Incredible. Brainwashed without drugs. So glad the gentleman came back…

Entelechy on February 28, 2007 at 12:36 AM

Spot On!

PinkyBigglesworth on February 28, 2007 at 2:29 AM

Let me get this straight, Ms Schlussel. What’s thought of as a moderate, peaceful form of Islam is actually extremely violent?!?! Hmmm, I’m beginning to see a pattern.

jdpaz on February 28, 2007 at 12:10 PM