Who’s the biggest threat to McCain?

posted at 12:56 pm on February 26, 2007 by Bryan

According to an email circulating around, some of Mitt Romney’s supporters think their guy is more of a threat to McCain than Giuliani right now.

The Brody File has received a confidential email circulating within the network of Romney’s supporters, not the Romney campaign itself but rather those who support Romney. I thought I’d share it with you. I don’t put this up as fact just simply to give you an idea of what’s being talked about among his supporters.

“Rumor has it that it’s McCain’s “opposition research” team that is pushing all this stuff to a more than willing MSM. They love their guy McCain, and they hate anyone with conservative values. The good news is, with each passing week they become more marginalized as people turn more to the blogosphere for more accurate reporting. I think McCain views Mitt as the bigger threat at this point, so he’ll keep his Giuliani powder dry for another day.

There is of course another way to look at any attacks coming Romney’s way from McCain: McCain sees Romney as the low-hanging fruit and figures to knock him out before even thinking about taking on Rudy. Given everyone’s relative positions in the polls, that explanation carries a certain empirical validity. And there’s a third way: McCain dislikes conservatives but knows he’ll need them against Rudy, Romney’s the most prominent conservative in the race at this point, so McCain is aiming at him first before making a run to the center-right to capture what’s left of the conservative vote that’s skeptical of Giuliani. McCain’s absence at CPAC later this week lends that theory some plausibility too. Giuliani’s presence at CPAC is a play for the conservative activist vote, and it’s a smart one. In any regard, these theories aren’t mutually contradictory. Neither depends on a supporter’s tendency to see everything through the lens of “my guy is the target because he’s the bestest guy out there and everyone else is gunning for him.” My vote’s very much up for grabs at this point.

Check out the rest of the post at the link. The phrase “strange bedfellows” comes to mind after reading it.

More: I obviously should have sub headed this post “Besides John McCain.”

Comments

That’s an easy one: John McCain.

Slublog on February 26, 2007 at 12:58 PM

I second that….McCain.

csdeven on February 26, 2007 at 1:01 PM

I thought the exact same thing Slublog

aelhues on February 26, 2007 at 1:02 PM

I’m sure Giuliani is the biggest threat to McCain and will get the nomination, particularly if he moves right on social issues, which he is doing.

He should crush Hillary in the election.

januarius on February 26, 2007 at 1:03 PM

I was gonna say “Himself” but Sublog beat me to it, so I’ll go with me second answer: Condi.

Biggest threat to Hillary: Gov. Bill Richardson.

Tony737 on February 26, 2007 at 1:06 PM

In concert with a couple of posts above, McVain’s own actions are what’s going to sink his campaign. I find it hard to get excited about either Rudy or Mitt, but given McVain’s open hostility to conservatives on a number of issues, I’ll take either of the former over the latter any day.

thirteen28 on February 26, 2007 at 1:07 PM

Tony737…

I luv ya man but, well, could you sorta clue me in on the Bill Richardson thing? He has the personality of an artichoke.

Limerick on February 26, 2007 at 1:18 PM

McCain’s biggest enemy is that he’s a lib on social issues. I’m excited about Newt running so we’ll see if he does. If not now, when? I hope this election doesn’t come down to holding my nose and voting for ABH. (Anybody but… we’ll you get the idea.)

Mojave Mark on February 26, 2007 at 1:50 PM

I was going to say John McCain, but I see others beat me to it. That’s the obvious, and only, answer though.

jaleach on February 26, 2007 at 1:57 PM

ABH? It could end up being ABB or ABA. :-)

flipflop on February 26, 2007 at 2:01 PM

Juan McCain of course!!

Mellen on February 26, 2007 at 5:24 PM

So wait, let me get this straight: Romney’s supporters think that Romney is a bigger threat and will be targeted by his opponents. Wow! Big surprise!

Breaking News: People who like Obama say he will give the Republicans a run for their money and that Republicans are likely to not run ads that support Obama’s presidential bid.

Can anyone say, duh?

Decoy256 on February 26, 2007 at 6:44 PM

Mojave Mark

That’s been the problem for the last few elections — We don’t really have anyone to vote for, just people we have to vote against. Romney is the first candidate in a while that I feel I could support, rather than emulating Mark (holding my nose, etc).

rmgraha on February 26, 2007 at 7:28 PM

Too late to the dance……… John McCain is his own, worst enemy. Thank you for your service to this country, sir, maybe a cabinet position, but not POTUS.

PinkyBigglesworth on February 26, 2007 at 9:09 PM

Limerick, Bill Richardson will bring in the Hispanic vote (those who actually vote and then those who vote illegally), he will bring in votes from white libs (too stupid to know they’re voting for an Hispanic) because he was the Ambass to the U.N. and because of his anti-borderwall stance and he will get votes from the moderates because he’s not as far to the left as Hillary, Edwards and Obama. He’s not the early front runner, and that increases his chances closer to election day. And most of all, he’s a govenor. Americans prefer govenors to senators and rightly so.

Tony737 on February 26, 2007 at 9:28 PM