Video: ‘Ugly Betty’ actress says U.S. will be “free” when Bush is gone in 2008

posted at 1:36 am on February 26, 2007 by Ian

America Ferrera, who plays the leading role on ABC’s Ugly Betty told the Independent Spirit Awards’ audience America, “land of the free”, will not be “free” until 2008. Video at Newsbusters.

Transcript (via Newsbusters):

Zach Braff: “You know America, here’s a little interesting tidbit you probably don’t know about me. My middle name is Israel. We’re both named after countries. “

America Ferrera: “Wow, that is interesting.”

Braff: “So do you think that you have any traits in common with the country that is your namesake?”

Ferrera: “Well, you know, I mean I guess I’m a free-spirited person and America’s supposedly the ‘land of the free,’ right?”

Braff: “Well, I guess.”

Ferrera: “Or at least we will be in 2008.” [loud applause] Well how about you, Zach, I mean do you have anything in common with Israel?”

Comments

“Betty la fea” la fea mas bella is much better than its English knock-off. I wonder if the star of the original Spanish novela hates her presidente too?

Mojave Mark on February 26, 2007 at 1:39 AM

We’re not free with Dubya as president, and yet no jack-booted thugs grabbed her and dragged her off kicking and screaming to the gulags. Hmmmm, how odd.

Tony737 on February 26, 2007 at 1:48 AM

Ferrera: “Well, you know, I mean I guess I’m a free-spirited person and America’s supposedly the ‘land of the free,’ right? Or at least we will be in 2008.”

Dang! And she was really cute, too.

I hate it when the cute ones let you down…

EFG on February 26, 2007 at 1:57 AM

“Well how about you, Zach, I mean do you have anything in common with Israel?”

Well, he’s constantly defending himself from maniacs who thirst for his blood…

Jim Treacher on February 26, 2007 at 2:05 AM

pity
I thought she was hot

Defector01 on February 26, 2007 at 2:05 AM

Shut up and sing ……

omegaram on February 26, 2007 at 2:06 AM

I never watched her show because I am too busy watching “My Name is Earl” & “The Office”, (I don’t know if her show runs for an hour or half hour to be honest.) However, I did think it was nice that someone who wasn’t a size 0 had won some award but now I guess while she’s not a 0 in clothes size she’s obviously a 0 in the head as she probably just alienated half her audience. I don’t support various actors, singers who just won’t shut up and do their craft without running off at the mouth anymore. I work too hard for my money and I can always find something better to do with my time than watch tv or listen to Jon Bon Jovi.

Catie96706 on February 26, 2007 at 2:31 AM

Meh. I don’t watch the show anyway, and now I have one mor4e reason not to start.

Sean M. on February 26, 2007 at 2:31 AM

Braff: “Why, yes. My edicts determin US foreign policy.”

Ferrera: “I am obese from McDonalds cheeseburger consumption.”

jummy on February 26, 2007 at 2:37 AM

i just watched the clip. that was a long thin branch to go out on for a joke. i had read it from the text as a nervous outburst. can’t believe someone actually wrote that.

jummy on February 26, 2007 at 2:43 AM

Sigh… another one opens her mouth and destroys the myth.
When will they learn? Idiot. Next!

Scotsman on February 26, 2007 at 3:01 AM

Like I care what someone, whose sole source of income is to recite words written by nearly-anonymous people, recites at an awards show that honors everyone in the film industry except for the people doing the real work (e.g. gaffers, grips, camera operators, focus pullers, craft services, assistant directors).

Neo on February 26, 2007 at 3:25 AM

I’m sure this has already been mentioned… but am I the only one tired of liberals exercising their freedoms to complain about how we aren’t free, and not getting a thorough flogging in the media? I mean, of course the media isn’t going to mock the liberalism… but they mock Britney’s idiocy, why can’t they mock this broad’s? I mean, the Kos kids, etc. can sit around raging against and hating the president while at the same time claiming we live in a police state… but this is pretty mainstream, and politics aside she needs to be destroyed with coverage and made to feel like an idiot.

On the other hand she was being “brave” like (not certain, but was that George Clooney?). That took serious balls to bash the president in a crowd that also bashes the president constantly, knowing nothing would ever happen to her. Bravey.

RightWinged on February 26, 2007 at 3:30 AM

“Hey, I’ve got an idea. I should piss off half the country! That’s a good idea.”

Savage on February 26, 2007 at 3:42 AM

The next time one of the oppressed libs rags on about all the freedom they’ve lost, can’t someone challenge them on it? “In what specific ways are you un-free? You have casual, anonymous sex while drinking to excess and taking powerful, prescription and illegal drugs, spend money lavishly on foolish extravagances, party until all hours of the day and night, have gifts and plaudits lavished on you. Give me a list of two freedoms you are lacking?”

Oh, that’s right, she wants the right to make phone calls overseas to known, active terrorists without any fear of being spied upon. Or to be caught with weapons in the battlefield in Iraq and Afghanistan, shooting at our soldiers, without the fear of being imprisoned in Gitmo without full legal representation. That must be it.

stonemeister on February 26, 2007 at 3:53 AM

What happens in 2008?

Big S on February 26, 2007 at 4:16 AM

Ugly Betty gets canned.

Savage on February 26, 2007 at 4:17 AM

You know, she would be attractive if she lost about 30 pounds.

Shivv on February 26, 2007 at 5:06 AM

I liked that show yesterday. For some reason I can’t stand it today.

Helloyawl on February 26, 2007 at 5:20 AM

Who?

I don’t own a tv, so I am not witness to some of this fine programming with people who read words written for them.

benrand on February 26, 2007 at 5:44 AM

Hey she’s fat enough for Bill Clinton to want some… just another Hollywood wannabe trying to impress the elder moonbats. when are they all leaving for Canada anyway!

Bob on February 26, 2007 at 5:51 AM

Thank you America Ferrera you just saved me an hour of TV viewing during the week.

Anyone else have anything to say?

Booo on February 26, 2007 at 5:57 AM

Ugly Betty… seems appropriate….
scratch that one from the list..

Viper1 on February 26, 2007 at 6:27 AM

Not that smart either…President Bush wouldn’t officially leave office until 2009, when the newly elected president is sworn in. Doesn’t anyone pay attention in school anymore?

DakRoland on February 26, 2007 at 7:06 AM

“The surest sign that you’re not living in a fascist country is that you’re allowed to call it one.”

You want courage, let me go on stage at the Oscars next year and change the world with four little words…

“Joe McCarthy was right.”

fusionaddict on February 26, 2007 at 7:26 AM

Shut up and act. These people are clueless.

csdeven on February 26, 2007 at 7:33 AM

DakRoland, given that so mant people thought the millenium started in 2000 I am not surprised..
fusionaddict,that would be the coolest thing EVAH!!!!

bbz123 on February 26, 2007 at 7:34 AM

Joe McCarthy was right

These follywood idiots sure make one wonder if Joe was right along.

Wade on February 26, 2007 at 7:52 AM

As long as they continue to get the applause when they spew that kind of idiocy, they’ll keep doing it.

flipflop on February 26, 2007 at 7:59 AM

Ugly Betty is, IMHO, the hispanic equivalent of a minstrel show. How anyone in my community can watch, much less applaud and reward such a parade of stereotypes is truly beyond my comprehension. Ferrera’s politics are par for the skin puppet course. Actually, it looks like La Hayek’s been in her ear.

Kid from Brooklyn on February 26, 2007 at 7:59 AM

Once again, it’s not really the message behind what she said…but just that it comes across as SO STUPID. We will be free in 2008? Free from what?

How can you argue with opponents who sputter such drivel?

wryteacher on February 26, 2007 at 8:10 AM

They don’t call her ugly for nothin’.

Griz on February 26, 2007 at 8:15 AM

Just more stupid comments by stupid people. They’re make-believe artlists, nothing more nothing less and as ususal they are engaging their moths before they put thier brains in gear.

rplat on February 26, 2007 at 8:22 AM

Roland, I was thinking the same thing, Bush leaves office on January 20th 2009. Not only is the actress a mental midget but so is the audience who applauded

Capitalist Infidel on February 26, 2007 at 8:33 AM

President Bush has taken away our freedom. I have been searching the internet for some facts and can not find any. That is proof enough for me. He has cancelled the 1st amendment, and no one can post facts about the freedoms Bushco has taken away.

Wade on February 26, 2007 at 8:36 AM

Tony737 on February 26, 2007 at 1:48 AM

Quite right.

On a side note, I sometimes wonder how the brains of people like this generate enough energy to keep their feet moving, let alone be capable of speech.

TwinkietheKid on February 26, 2007 at 8:47 AM

Like those who applauded, her mind is gone. Dr. SpartRan prescribes forced incarceration and electro shock therapy.

SpartRan on February 26, 2007 at 8:52 AM

Someone tell America Fererra that I think she has a fat ass and that her love handles make me want to vomit all over her. BLECH.

JG2K6 on February 26, 2007 at 9:02 AM

Can we add dumb to the list? President Bush is in office until January 2009.

Mallard T. Drake on February 26, 2007 at 9:20 AM

I used to think most of the people that say this kind of stuff were just trying to fit in with the rest of the Bush haters, but now I think they actually are this ignorant of the Truth. How can it be? Media bias maybe?

abinitioadinfinitum on February 26, 2007 at 10:22 AM

I’m so fed up with Hispanics bashing Bush and America I could puke. If they hate him/us so much, they can go back where they came from.

PoliticallyIncorrectSandy on February 26, 2007 at 10:35 AM

Uh, there’s a show that been running on Indian television for a while, well before this. The star is a girl in braces, glasses … but there is a Spanish version, too?

Can’t imagine how well it would go over in India to have the well-paid, pampered star of a show whinge about the current prime minister. (Uh, can imagine).

naliaka on February 26, 2007 at 10:38 AM

Ugly Betty, eh?

I guess since Ugly Betty said so and the quip is so brilliantly original, then it must be true.

this isn’t even me typing. this is one of my handlers that George Bush assigned to me. -wrap you little heads around that…

Wait a second… Ugly who?

Opinionnation on February 26, 2007 at 10:42 AM

not her fault, she was brainwashed.

VTWaldrup on February 26, 2007 at 10:49 AM

Saying this nonsense is an insult to anyone who’s lived under a totalitarian regime. These people have no idea what it’s like to live in a real facist/authoritarian country.

jaleach on February 26, 2007 at 11:16 AM

Now there’s some irony. In real life she’s kind of pretty on the outside, but a bit ugly on the inside. I guess that’s what makes her an actress.

Meanwhile, I keep waiting for somebody to do a psychological study demonstrating that people develop interests in theater and acting in particuar because there’s something wrong with their emotional development (you know, to go along with all those “studies” arguing that people become Republicans because there’s something wrong with them–the difference being that, in this case, I’ve no doubt there’s something real to discover). Maybe someday.

Blacklake on February 26, 2007 at 11:38 AM

C’mon y’all. The poor girl’s been brainwashed. Hollywood is a cult.

a) You must believe what everyone else believes
b) If you don’t, you are ostracized and will not be given you livelihood.
c) You are only to run around in your Hollywood circle. Any opinion by family or friends outside your circle will be regarded as ignorant drive.
d) self adulation and adulation of your peers is a must

Again, Hollywood is a cult.

Matticus Finch on February 26, 2007 at 11:49 AM

drive = drivel

Matticus Finch on February 26, 2007 at 11:50 AM

What’s Ugly Betty?

Theworldisnotenough on February 26, 2007 at 12:04 PM

Another patronizing Hollyweird actress who actually believes that, because they happen to be on TV, they are more intellignet than everyone else and a significant number of people actually care what they think. As a private citizen and as a public citizen, she has every right to express her opinion. Had she expressed her opinions privately, I would have no problems with her. But because she has used her fame, which I have helped her to achieve by watching her show, to voice political opinions opposite of mine, then all I can do is stop contributing to her notariety. Too bad, I actually liked the “Ugly Betty” show.

sdd on February 26, 2007 at 12:07 PM

And the really really funny part of all this…

If Bush is the cause???

She apparently is so stupid she does not realize that Bush will be President until January 20, 2009? You know, when the next Pres is inaugurated???

Sooo… apparently… somthing besides Bush must be the problem???

Color me… confused…

Romeo13 on February 26, 2007 at 12:28 PM

Poor wretch… perhaps with God’s grace she’ll flee to another country where she’s safe to speak her mind in public.

Ayaan Hirsi Ali has so much to learn from Ugly Betty.

saint kansas on February 26, 2007 at 12:35 PM

Obviously she still has just enough freedom to be an idiot. She better be careful, I hear Bushco is creating the Federal Idiot Police – this kind of behavior will bring about some serious jail time (without a trial).

Rick on February 26, 2007 at 1:25 PM

Tony737 on February 26, 2007 at 1:48 AM

Man, what I would have paid to see that. Where is Lincoln when you need him?

Tim Burton on February 26, 2007 at 1:36 PM

Geez, my list of actors who I refuse to watch just keeps growing longer…George Clooney, Sean Penn, Matt Damon, Ben Affleck, Tim Robbins, Susan Surandon, Leonardo DiCaprio, Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, Babs, Rosie, anyway..it’s gotten to the point that I don’t bother to go to the movies unless someone I trust recommends a movie…I don’t watch the Oscars either… Hollywood thinks cause they say it we belive it…yeah right…

CCRWM on February 26, 2007 at 2:01 PM

Celebrity Deathmatch:
America Ferrera v Danny Bonaduce

Yeah, I’d pay to see that!

Booo on February 26, 2007 at 2:03 PM

A show where a relatively-cute, but twinkie-loving girl dresses up as “ugly” to win audience pseudo-sympathy when the firecracker-beautiful producer of the program, Selma Hayek, makes guest appearances to snub the supposedly “ugly” girl.

What the hell kind of bizarro “message” is this?

That the “ugly” girl is smarter?

Now even that has been debunked.

Can’t wait till 2008 …2009! should be neo-morons’ bumpersticker.

(Forbidden to be put on any car but a hybrid, of course.)

profitsbeard on February 26, 2007 at 2:32 PM

Can’t wait till 2008 …2009! should be neo-morons’ bumpersticker

I’ve already spotted 5 or 6 1-20-09 bumper stickers in MA.

reaganaut on February 26, 2007 at 3:04 PM

Ugly Betty just got uglier.

right2bright on February 26, 2007 at 3:09 PM

pity
I thought she was hot

Defector01 on February 26, 2007 at 2:05 AM

I guess you just can’t expect brains and beauty in the same package. Unless it’s Patricia Heaton, of course.

By the way, after finding a picture of her, I must say that some of you are out of your head. I wouldn’t think she was hot if she were on fire.

Wolfman on February 26, 2007 at 3:38 PM

Wadda Maroon…

x95b10 on February 26, 2007 at 4:07 PM

She’s been free to eat.

tommuck on February 26, 2007 at 4:14 PM

Ugly and stupid.
Quite the package she’s got going there.

G-man on February 26, 2007 at 6:11 PM

See? All my crushes.

But she’s very young (22) and she seems to be otherwise very sensible and grounded. So I’m sure she’ll outgrow it.

Tanya on February 26, 2007 at 7:47 PM

Hehe.. she’ll “outgrowwwwwwww” it…I’m sure. Thanks for setting that one up, Tanya!

Badda bing!

tickleddragon on February 27, 2007 at 12:44 AM

What happens in 2008?

Hillary will don her cloak of many colors, part the red counties, and lead the Chosen People (called Progressives) to Hollywood, A.K.A The Promised Land.

At the same time, Bush will be impeached and Cheney will become President. He will appoint Condi as V.P and immediately resign, thus making a Republican both the first female and the first black president. Liberal head will explode all over the country and the Democrats will be voted out of office as no one will be left to support them.

Then, and only then, will freedom finally be restored to America as the liberals will all discover that they will be sent to a hell of their own creation, namely being forced to endure an endless presentation by Gore about the “Infernal Warming” that is occurring.

Well, that prognostication is about as sensical as what Ugly Betty predicts

RedinBlueCounty on February 27, 2007 at 12:37 PM