Inconvenient Al’s mansion consumes 20x more energy than average household

posted at 5:49 pm on February 26, 2007 by Ian

The Tennessee Center for Policy Research, an independent, nonprofit and nonpartisan research organization, released the following report:

Last night, Al Gore’s global-warming documentary, An Inconvenient Truth, collected an Oscar for best documentary feature, but the Tennessee Center for Policy Research has found that Gore deserves a gold statue for hypocrisy.

Gore’s mansion, located in the posh Belle Meade area of Nashville, consumes more electricity every month than the average American household uses in an entire year, according to the Nashville Electric Service (NES).

In his documentary, the former Vice President calls on Americans to conserve energy by reducing electricity consumption at home.

The average household in America consumes 10,656 kilowatt-hours (kWh) per year, according to the Department of Energy. In 2006, Gore devoured nearly 221,000 kWh—more than 20 times the national average.

Last August alone, Gore burned through 22,619 kWh—guzzling more than twice the electricity in one month than an average American family uses in an entire year. As a result of his energy consumption, Gore’s average monthly electric bill topped $1,359.

Since the release of An Inconvenient Truth, Gore’s energy consumption has increased from an average of 16,200 kWh per month in 2005, to 18,400 kWh per month in 2006.

Gore’s extravagant energy use does not stop at his electric bill. Natural gas bills for Gore’s mansion and guest house averaged $1,080 per month last year.

“As the spokesman of choice for the global warming movement, Al Gore has to be willing to walk to walk, not just talk the talk, when it comes to home energy use,” said Tennessee Center for Policy Research President Drew Johnson.

In total, Gore paid nearly $30,000 in combined electricity and natural gas bills for his Nashville estate in 2006.

Flashback: John Edwards and His Six Million Dollar Mansion

Update Glenn Reynolds calls it an Inconvenient utility bill. Heh.

(via Drudge)

Comments

Gored on his own petard. Heh.

Iblis on February 26, 2007 at 5:52 PM

If he was concerned with global warming, shouldn’t he just have released An Inconvenient Truth as a download, either for free or pay per view?

Imagine all the energy that would have been saved by people not having to drive to the theater, power the theater, cool the theater, cook the pop corn, drive home, etc etc etc.

I would have to think its in the tens of millions of dollars in energy costs.

Vincenzo on February 26, 2007 at 5:57 PM

Please, Mr. Gore, set an example.

Oh, I forgot. He already is.

shaken on February 26, 2007 at 5:59 PM

he’s pathetic
just like a hollywood liberal

Defector01 on February 26, 2007 at 6:00 PM

If only hypocricy could light and heat my home. I’d hook up to Gore and reduce my carbon footprint and spend the savings on a Springfield M21.

csdeven on February 26, 2007 at 6:01 PM

I wonder if Tipper and Melissa’s wife hang out together and get pedicures?

bbz123 on February 26, 2007 at 6:03 PM

The usual leftist hypocrisy of “do what I say, not what I do”.
Up here we’ve got David Suzuki extorting money from school kids so he can cruise around in a tour bus spreading the same enviro-lies as Gore.
At least our loser isn’t running for office yet.

G-man on February 26, 2007 at 6:04 PM

Gored on his own petard. Heh.

Iblis on February 26, 2007 at 5:52 PM

Ha! You won the thread with the very first post – good one!

thirteen28 on February 26, 2007 at 6:10 PM

Where the hell have you folks been lately, under a rock? All he has to do is buy his carbon credits and he can use as much energy as he wants to. This is the way it works with these idiots. You can do as much damage as you want, as long as you pay for it with a tax. So even though he’s done nothing to decrease his “footprint” (enviroweenies term, not mine) here on the planet, he can sleep well at night knowing he payed to do it.

rayvet on February 26, 2007 at 6:14 PM

If Gore does run, I hope the Swift Boats find his moat.

infidel on February 26, 2007 at 6:16 PM

Shameful.

x95b10 on February 26, 2007 at 6:25 PM

Fatboy needs to start mixing in some salads. What a pantload.

JammieWearingFool on February 26, 2007 at 6:25 PM

Think Globally, Waste Locally!

Jim Treacher on February 26, 2007 at 6:32 PM

How many Hummer-years is he still consuming as he hops around the country in his private jet warning about the dangers of global warming?

Mallard T. Drake on February 26, 2007 at 6:39 PM

I wonder how lefty logic would cope with the idea of military service offsets?

rw on February 26, 2007 at 6:44 PM

Two Americas. Two Americas…

How this didn’t rate a nice raw steak picture I’ll never know……

HerrMorgenholz on February 26, 2007 at 6:45 PM

Preaching drinking water, while drinking wine:

…murmurings of the little harp-girl’s song in Heinrich Heine’s 1844 poem “A Winter’s Tale”

I know the authors, I know the tune,
I know it line for line
In public, water is all they preach;
While in secret they guzzle wine.

My America and yours…

“William Hung was a rock star; I just have a slide show”

Real PowerPointers “where’s my Oscar?”

Entelechy on February 26, 2007 at 6:50 PM

There was an article the other day about the Eco-friendly limos for the Oscars…Prius’s converted into stretch limos. Of course, the energy required to do this conversion would power a dozen Prius’s for 5 years, and they were just used to drive those-better-than-us to their little parties, but isn’t it about feelings rather than facts anyway? They can’t really be hypocrites, as hyporcrisy requires some degree of understanding.

On another note more closely related to the subject at hand, I read a couple of years ago about the energy consumption of Babs Streisand’s mansion. Has anyone done research for all these better-than-us leftie celebs, and how the rules don’t apply to them? I’d like to see a list with facts to throw in the face of my leftist friends.

stonemeister on February 26, 2007 at 6:51 PM

rayvet on February 26, 2007 at 6:14 PM

He can sleep well at night because he sleeps on a $30,000 custom bed in a 10 bedroom, 8 bath mansion! Not bad for a man who never had a private sector job in his life.

stonemeister on February 26, 2007 at 6:53 PM

Ok, but how many carbon credits does he buy to offset that?

gekkobear on February 26, 2007 at 6:53 PM

Stone, yes, there’s a book out titled “Do as I say, not as I do” that has a chapter for each of several lefties like B.S., Micheal Moore, Nancy Pelosi etc that details their hypocracy, but now that book needs to be updated.

Tony737 on February 26, 2007 at 6:56 PM

Leonardo DeCaprio, who took a private jet to Washington and hopped a limo to the Mall, so he could give an Earth Day speech about greenhouse gases and global warming … and Robert Kennedy, who vigorously opposes wind turbines off “his” Cape Cod coastline – and wanted CORE to pay him $15,000 to participate in a Martin Luther King Day environmental event two years ago.

Entelechy on February 26, 2007 at 7:02 PM

Do as I say, not as I do…scroll down a bit to get to the facts.

Entelechy on February 26, 2007 at 7:08 PM

I wonder if someone could be found to develop a lavishly illustrated coffee-table book of the homes and lifestyles of rich environmental activists. You know, that project has “James Lileks” written all over it.

Kralizec on February 26, 2007 at 7:08 PM

The article didn’t mention all the flatulence coming from the home.

roninacreage on February 26, 2007 at 7:26 PM

Well, sh*t – does he pretty much condemn himself to hell for this? I mean, since it’s a moral issue and not a political issue.

Editor on February 26, 2007 at 7:32 PM

Yes, but he IS Al Gore. And we are not. Who was it who said “all animals are equal, but some animals are more equal” or something like that?

bloggless on February 26, 2007 at 7:36 PM

Now, that is what I call an inconvenient truth.

bloggless on February 26, 2007 at 7:37 PM

My rules, you see,
Are for thee,
Not for me.

Labamigo on February 26, 2007 at 7:56 PM

Douchebag!

MCPO Airdale on February 26, 2007 at 8:14 PM

Pay no attention to the hypocrite under the spotlight.

Stefka on February 26, 2007 at 8:21 PM

Al Gore represents how screwy Democrats (with few exceptions like Senator Lieberman) are today.

Phil Byler on February 26, 2007 at 8:39 PM

According to several Libs this is nothing more than a hit piece by a partisan org. I guess you really can’t fix stupid

RichSchein on February 26, 2007 at 8:40 PM

Barbra Streisand, who spends $22,000 a year watering her lawn and has 5 houses and a 12,000 square foot air-conditioned barn …

and BS told everyone in California to hang their clothes on a line to dry instead of using a dryer. Anyone ever seen any of Babs wet undies on a line. Could be they never get wet.

Wade on February 26, 2007 at 8:59 PM

I took the carbon test on his website. I drive less than 10k a year and mostly by motorcycle, don’t fly and keep thermostats at 63. According to the test I’m average. He needs to take his own test. If my result is average, his would be destroyer of galaxies.

Hening on February 26, 2007 at 9:25 PM

Why would this shock anyone ? This is what Democrats do ! Don’t you understand, they are the Kings and the Queens, and as I once heard Dianne Finstein refer to us, we are the little people. The Al Gore doesn’t care how much energy he uses, he KNOWS Global Warming is NOT happening ! And even if it were happening he still wouldn’t care because he is the Goracle, and he is above all of the petty rules and regulations he wants to impose on us.

This is the typical commie/socialist mind-set, and Gore is the biggest WATERMELON of them all….. green on the outside and red to the core on the inside! Wake up everyone…. Environmentalism and Global Warming are about taking your property rights away, subjecting you to a global tax, and setting up a global system to override our laws and our Constitution. They want money and power. And stupid people that believe all of this crap about the environment being destroyed and Global Warming are lining up to hand that power to them. Will we wake up in time ?

Maxx on February 26, 2007 at 9:59 PM

rayvet hit the nail on its head. In Al Gore’s world you can pollute as much as you want to if you pay the TAX. I knew that what with Al being a DEM it would all come down to a TAX. Nevermind that pollution is pollution is pollution and all that green claptrap, if you are rich enough to pay the tax you can pollute all you want to. I feel much better now that I see the world is still in order, it’s all about money same as it ever was for liberals.

Buzzy on February 26, 2007 at 10:13 PM

It’s the “New Religion” and he sees himself as the head of the “Church”.

All who question it, is “evil” and want to “Kill the Planet”! It is “Heresy”!

If you thought the “Inquisitions” were bad, you have not seen anything yet………..

It’s already started people……..

PinkyBigglesworth on February 26, 2007 at 10:32 PM

Fatboy needs to start mixing in some salads. What a pantload.

JammieWearingFool on February 26, 2007 at 6:25 PM

Yes… in this picture, he looks like he’s about to do something that will damage the environment. Something for which he will have to file an Environmental Impact Statement.

Maxx on February 26, 2007 at 10:36 PM

Holy cow… is he running a pot farm on his property??

RD on February 26, 2007 at 10:48 PM

Well, given that Al emits 20X more hot air(no pun intended) than the average human…. hey, there’s some global warming for ya!

sMack on February 26, 2007 at 11:46 PM

Oh……….. the nuance……..

PinkyBigglesworth on February 27, 2007 at 3:03 AM

Fat Albert kind of looks like a penguin.

JackM on February 27, 2007 at 9:08 AM

What does does Fat Albert do with all those carbon credits he buys, eat them? Geez.

JackM on February 27, 2007 at 9:13 AM

fat albert…I like that…you are right on JackM

areseaoh on February 27, 2007 at 9:41 AM

Someone needs to add a baby penguin to that picture and have Al regurgitating some fish into its mouth.

James on February 27, 2007 at 9:45 AM

Why am I not even remotely surprised?

Viewtifulgare on February 27, 2007 at 10:21 AM

The Goracle responded today, saying he’s doing his part, like buying “off the grid” power, using efficient light bulbs, and using solar panels on his estate.

I did an analysis over at The Autopsy. Know how much a “large” BP solar system would cost to install in Tennessee? $80,000 bucks. And you save $2000 a year. So the system pays for itself in 400 years! Bargain! But even then, it’s only reducing home electric costs by %10.

Ah, the things rich liberals ask the common man to do– to sacrifice– for the common good.

Nethicus on February 27, 2007 at 11:03 AM

Er, 400 should be 40. Stupid calculator.

Nethicus on February 27, 2007 at 11:06 AM

I posted this question on Wizbang: Something does not add up.
Did anyone else do the math for the August monster bill. NES charges $0.0738 per KwHr, plus if he truly is using “green power”, according to the NES website that is $4.00 per 150 KwHr block. The local newspaper reported that he buys 108 blocks for $432 per month. Subtract that from the bill and he paid $927 for 22619 KwHr. That equals $0.041 per KwH. What gives? Someone lying or sloppy journo?

sweeper on February 27, 2007 at 11:14 AM

I heat my igloo with clean-burning animal fat.

Ma, throw another damn penguin on the fire!

saint kansas on February 27, 2007 at 11:31 AM

Carbon offsets? That’s the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard. Does that mean he can crap on the earth as long as he plants a tree to offset it? Can I purchase retard offsets to keep Gore out of the headlines?

tommuck on February 27, 2007 at 11:41 AM

Yeah, big surprise.Anyone remember a couple years back when the Gore bot and Tipper were on the campaign trail, exhorting everyone to give give give — give till it hurts to your local charities! But when his tax returns were checked out,it was discovered that the Gore bot and the lovely Tipper , over the past year, donated a whopping 250 bucks to charity. Nothing this hypocritical nut job says or does surprises me in the least.

tomk59 on February 27, 2007 at 11:42 AM

But wait, there’s more! The electric bill only represents about half of the Gore household’s energy consumption. From The Tennessean:

In addition to the electric bill, the natural gas bill for Gore’s home and guesthouse ran $1,080 per month last year, Johnson said.

Pablo on February 27, 2007 at 11:50 AM

…waiting for the nuanced left to sound off about Haliburton, TEH JOOOOOOS, and how Gore offsets his consumption with green purchases.

How nuanced.

Black Adam on February 27, 2007 at 12:46 PM

Hey if Edwards can offset his consumption with florescent light bulbs, I am sure the Goracle can offset his with deposit milk bottles.

bloggless on February 27, 2007 at 1:21 PM

tomk59 on February 27, 2007 at 11:42 AM

I am pretty sure, and I am not making this up, that one of the items was used underwear.

right2bright on February 27, 2007 at 2:33 PM

R2B- heh,heh.Extra collectors value if they had skidmarks?

tomk59 on February 27, 2007 at 2:48 PM