Diggbats busily burying Hot Air posts as spam; Update: LGF screencap added

posted at 3:53 pm on February 26, 2007 by Allahpundit

Mark Seavey caught them with shovels in hand and took a screenshot. Why mark our stuff as spam? Because it’s an easy way to get the site blacklisted.

The Digg Spy page really is fun if you’re looking for a timewaster. Like Charles says, “it’s a real-time view of normally hidden left-wing totalitarian tactics.”

Click for full size.

diggattack.png

Update: More from Seavey. Note that both the Ayaan Hirsi Ali clip and Charles’s post about the anniversary of the first Trade Center bombing are marked as “lame.”

lgfdigg.png

Update: Limerick suggests below that we change their name from “Diggers” to “Diggbats.” So ordered. The switch has been made in the headline.

Update: Naturally, this post has also been trashed as spam. Bryan ‘capped it.

digg.png

Comments

Whoever it is is a busy little bee, because when they were done with HotAir they switched to LGF. At one point, 19 out of 20 were for LGF.

E5infantry on February 26, 2007 at 3:57 PM

We need to find another word then ‘Diggers’. Looking out for my Aussie friends. Maybe ‘Digbats’

Limerick on February 26, 2007 at 4:02 PM

Welcome, my son, welcome to the machine.

What did you dream? It’s all right, we told you what to dream.

elgeneralisimo on February 26, 2007 at 4:03 PM

I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s some kind of robot that does it. Either way it’s sickening. How pathetic are these people? So YouTube is off limits, and now Digg will soon be as well? At least Google finally rectified the “miserable failure” google bomb issue, perhaps someone can get hold of the right people at Digg to let them know what’s going on. Not sure how they could police it though.

RightWinged on February 26, 2007 at 4:03 PM

How about insane Commie Posse?

bbz123 on February 26, 2007 at 4:04 PM

Just came across that this one was buried as being spam.

I gotta tell you, that thing is addictive.

E5infantry on February 26, 2007 at 4:05 PM

I was just watching the Digg Spy page. It’s awesome. Really, someone needs to make a video of it and post it. I might do it tonight.

There’s even a guy on there with an open letter to Digg stating that LGF should be banned because it’s all about hating Muslims.

Nethicus on February 26, 2007 at 4:06 PM

don’t they have anything remotely resembling a life?

Defector01 on February 26, 2007 at 4:08 PM

I wonder if there is a big enough market for a right-leaning alternative.

p0s3r on February 26, 2007 at 4:11 PM

Thanks Allah….for correcting my spelling (as usual).

Limerick on February 26, 2007 at 4:14 PM

Digg really needs to get rid of that “bury” feature. If you “don’t dig” an article, don’t digg it. Let an article rise or fall based on how many diggs it gets or doesn’t get.

flipflop on February 26, 2007 at 4:15 PM

Is it possible that someone could write a program that would automatically spam all stories from selected sites? I know I have to type in numbers that are mis-shaped and disguised with lines when I sign up for certain sites to prevent spamming.

csdeven on February 26, 2007 at 4:18 PM

csdeven….maybe it is one of those jobs ‘Americans’ won’t do.

Limerick on February 26, 2007 at 4:19 PM

Eww, Allah uses Internet Explorer.

Ian on February 26, 2007 at 4:21 PM

For the record, Charles was already on that.

RightWinged on February 26, 2007 at 4:21 PM

I say we start marking moonbat posts as spam over there.

PRCalDude on February 26, 2007 at 4:22 PM

Eww, Allah uses Internet Explorer.

No, Mark Seavey does.

Allahpundit on February 26, 2007 at 4:22 PM

Not really a shock when you consider how conservative users are outnumbered on the Web due to the taxpayer-subsidized Internet provided by academia and government (bastions of liberalism both).

Most users consider themselves to be political moderates (30%), with 21% being conservative or very conservative, and 35% being liberal or very liberal. Women are more likely to be liberal and men more likely to be conservative.

Nutroots have the numbers on us.

Valiant on February 26, 2007 at 4:24 PM

No, Mark Seavey does.

We’re a non-profit, I use what they give me. Today Explorer, yesterday an abacus.

E5infantry on February 26, 2007 at 4:24 PM

Digg features a way to view all who dugg an article. Too bad it doesnt list who buried one.

BelchSpeak on February 26, 2007 at 4:24 PM

Avant Browser!!

Theworldisnotenough on February 26, 2007 at 4:25 PM

never work flipflop. Letting an idea live or die based on its own merrits is something free loving people would do. Not the restrictive, manipulative and controlling haters of the leftosphere.

Wyrd on February 26, 2007 at 4:27 PM

Except their new bookmarks suck =(. Now the bookmarks are saved as one giant html file that the browser reads instead of a seperate html bookmarks in one folder. *sigh*

Theworldisnotenough on February 26, 2007 at 4:27 PM

The only good thing I got from that digg feed is this game.

Thank you algore for inventing the internet….

Dr. Gecko on February 26, 2007 at 4:32 PM

Eww, Allah uses Internet Explorer.

What’s wrong with Internet Explorer? I use it…

…is it like having herpes or something?

natesnake on February 26, 2007 at 4:39 PM

Heh. Not as bad as herpes, al though close to it.

Ian on February 26, 2007 at 4:41 PM

csdeven….maybe it is one of those jobs ‘Americans’ won’t do.

Limerick on February 26, 2007 at 4:19 PM

Yeah, a real american would welcome reasonable dissenting voices.

csdeven on February 26, 2007 at 4:41 PM

IE is very clunky. I use Firefox and love it.

csdeven on February 26, 2007 at 4:42 PM

Also, if you want a real nice PDF reader “Foxit” works like a charm.

csdeven on February 26, 2007 at 4:43 PM

Is Avant better than Firefox?

csdeven on February 26, 2007 at 4:44 PM

If this is really important, I don’t think whining is going to do it. If the Digg system is really broke, then exploit it until someone who runs the place is forced to fix it, i.e., mindless bury all links from popular sites on Digg until the majority now demands limits on burying.

I still don’t see this as important, though. This is just the tyranny of the minority of too much time on their hands, and they will always rule the internet.

frankj on February 26, 2007 at 4:48 PM

I dont know if this is happening to anyone else but, everytime I digg a story from here, Michelles of LGF I am forced to re-log in to Digg, its not happening to when digging from other sites/sources… suspect..

Viper1 on February 26, 2007 at 4:50 PM

I have an idea for you Michelle and AP – how about starting a digg type website that’s conservo-friendly?

Ann on February 26, 2007 at 4:55 PM

@ Viper1

I have been having the same Digg problem…I have made numerous comments against the liberals there, and have constantly had to re-login. I don’t know if it’s related…

P.S. Hey, what’s wrong with Internet Explorer? I tried firefox, but I don’t like it…

JetBoy on February 26, 2007 at 4:57 PM

csdeven on February 26, 2007 at 4:18 PM

csdeven, this would be an absolutely horrible thing to do. Speaking as a software QA guy, if, for example, I write a perl script that would use a perl module called “Mechanize” that would automagically go out to digg.com and scan the pages for particular key words/phrases/sites/etc.

My perl script could then check whatever checkboxes are on the page (I’m speaking generically here… never been on digg) and submit/update it. Not sure off-hand if Mechanize is thread-safe (meaning, basically, spawning subprograms), but at the least I could probably do a couple hits a minute.

Then of course if this program was released into the general HA community, and, say, 20 or so people ran it per day, then real damage could be done to digg’s statistics.

And if they use any kind of IP-verification, it’d be a bit more difficult, I’d have to spoof the IP addr, but still not impossible.

The only difficulty may be the numbers/lines that you’re talking about, but there is probably a workaround.

This is, of course, all theoretical :-)

dalewalt on February 26, 2007 at 5:01 PM

@ JetBoy

I honestly think the digg folks are in bed with the moonbats on this..

Viper1 on February 26, 2007 at 5:01 PM

This is, of course, all theoretical :-)

dalewalt on February 26, 2007 at 5:01 PM

Yes. OF course. theoretical ;)

I wouldn’t stoop to their level anyways. 2 wrongs don’t make a right and all that molarkey.

lorien1973 on February 26, 2007 at 5:16 PM

I blame Diebold.

mymanpotsandpans on February 26, 2007 at 5:18 PM

haha…I’m getting “dugg down” quick over on Digg…

Some responses I’m getting….

“Stop breathing my air, please”

“You really need to get a life”

“Youre an idiot”

Dang…a regular MENSA meeting I’m in there…

JetBoy on February 26, 2007 at 5:23 PM

lorien1973 on February 26, 2007 at 5:16 PM

I can’t imagine EVER seeing this kind of comment at DU.

Limerick on February 26, 2007 at 5:24 PM

I prefer to use the term, Diggerals, as that seems to fit them best.

We’ve been seeing this tactic in use for months now, and even keep a hidden list of those Diggerals at my site. I am ceretain that more than a few LGFers, and members from this site would be shocked at how some of the worst Diggerals have totally fooled the rest.

DannoJyd on February 26, 2007 at 5:56 PM

Keep in mind that these are the same people that claim they are for freedom of speech!

Pam on February 26, 2007 at 6:03 PM

Is Avant better than Firefox?

csdeven on February 26, 2007 at 4:44 PM

In my opinion yes. More customization is available. It is lighter weight than IE but uses the same/similar engine. No one is writing viruses for it! You can selectively block ads, pictures, audio, video, scripts, active x, etc.. The bonus is you can do this in two mouse clicks instead of four or five. That’s the best part I think. Most of the choices are available from the desktop. Avant is the only desktop I like better than KDE on linux. The only drawback that I noted was the way bookmarks are saved. That is very annoying.

Theworldisnotenough on February 26, 2007 at 6:03 PM

Fark would be the same way if the libtards over there had their way. It’s just a matter of the site not being setup to allow them to do it.

In any case, let them “win” their little war. Let’s face it, it’s the only one they’re willing to fight and it just shows their close mindedness towards ideas that stray outside the hive mind. It’s quite funny when you think about how these people will turn right around and accuse people on the right of intolerance and they won’t even catch the irony.

Benaiah on February 26, 2007 at 6:09 PM

Diggholes?

Jim Treacher on February 26, 2007 at 6:31 PM

dhiggers…as in part dhimmi

JetBoy on February 26, 2007 at 6:44 PM

Why the hell are they burying Michelle’s post about the anniversary of the 1993 WTC bombing as “inaccurate?” These people are insane with hatred!

JinxMcHue on February 26, 2007 at 7:08 PM

If you configure the “digg spy” to only view the buried posts, it’s actually a great way to view the articles the Diggbats want to surpress. In reality, by viewing the “digg spy” this way, those posts aren’t suppressed at all, and in fact, this way they’re PROMOTED.

It’s all how you look at it. Digg still sucks, though.

Sydney Carton on February 26, 2007 at 7:14 PM

Diggtards.

Just wondering, though–how many people who are annoyed by this are actually USING Digg? I know Viper1, DannoJyd, and apparently JetBoy (what’s your digg user name?) are there, because I’m there too. No sense complaining if you’re not going to do something about it. A digg once or twice a month isn’t gonna cut it.

It’s kinda ridiculous seeing people spend time complaining at blogs but then say they “don’t have time” to go there and actually digg up the stories they like. The relatively small number of conservatives/moderates/anti-jihadis/whatever there can’t do it all themselves (ourselves).

bamapachyderm on February 26, 2007 at 7:19 PM

Because if it comes from the pen of Michelle Malkin, it IS inaccurate according to their closed-minded, deranged world view.

These people are insane with hatred!

See? You answered your own question. ;-)

bamapachyderm on February 26, 2007 at 7:21 PM

This whole Digg it thing has been fun, but I have to confess.
I feel like a member of a troop of monkeys fling’n poo at another troop of monkeys over a boundary dispute.

rockhauler on February 26, 2007 at 7:57 PM

#1 “THOSE BASTARDS!”

To say I hate hypoctitical ___Expletive here___s is an understatement.

I WATCHED the C-span House Debates, and It was Rep. Steven Buyer (R) Debating, while the Democrats ignored the principle of a debate, and made “Statements”.

People like that can not win in a debate. They know it, so their only option is to suppress debate and claim that they are being oppressed.

Hypocritical posers. POSERS!

and

#2: Nothing wrong with using MSIE-7.

I used to be a Firefox user until IE-7 which does an excellent job.

But then again I am running an Intel P-4 3.2GHz Hyper Threading dual core… So really everything runs well on my PC.

Jones Zemkophill on February 26, 2007 at 8:06 PM

bamapachy…My Digg username is “jetboyterp”

I’m constantly being Dugg into the abyss by the Diggbats…

JetBoy on February 26, 2007 at 8:12 PM

1) Gave up on Digg awhile back. Don’t see it’s use and I don’t view it for anything else.

2) I use Firefox over IE for one very simple reason. ActiveX. Firefox just doesn’t support it. The number one vector for spyware and adware are ActiveX controls attaching themselves to IE. Since using Firefox I don’t have a problem with spyware/adaware. Ever.

Using IE along with ActiveX is so bad you may as well lower your firewall and take off AV for all the good they do you with IE being the big, gaping security hole that it is. Yes, IE7 is better than IE6, but only in the sense that a screen door on a submarine is only slightly better than an open one.

Faith1 on February 26, 2007 at 8:19 PM

There is an article in the latest Wired magazine about this very thing. More or less tells you how to do it and to what lengths people go to to do it or have it done. Now that Googlebombing has been outed and EBay is policing their own, it is time for the cretins to attack another service that had promise but is now perverted.

I guess when you still live in your parent’s house (rent free) with no true employment or direction, you have time to stifle the free-flow of opinions, facts and ideas.

What real effect will this have? On the general public, that is? The ones who blindly consume the network nightly news and don’t dig (sorry) any deeper? They will never hear of the infantile underhandedness of these people. They and their actions will never be exposed; certainly not by MSM. And not through DIGG at this rate.

ej_pez on February 26, 2007 at 8:21 PM

Check out this blog on conservatives and Digg…

JetBoy on February 26, 2007 at 8:42 PM

faith1,

I was wondering why I never have those problems. I thought my spyware tool was doing pretty good.

csdeven on February 26, 2007 at 9:21 PM

My article DIGG is Filled with Liberal Idiots, about how liberal idiots were burying articles they disagreed with, received 104 DIGGS before it was buried four hours later.

bernieg1 on February 26, 2007 at 9:54 PM

So is there a way to get a list of the ‘most buried’ stories? Sounds like those are the good ones.

The Monster on February 26, 2007 at 10:33 PM

Well, the mechanism is broken if this kind of groupthink is allowed to rule the day. It’s a matter of who gets there first.

Why fight over what’s already a lefty stomping ground?

spmat on February 27, 2007 at 12:05 AM

Don’t these people have jobs? WHAT do they do all day? Do real tax-paying Americans actually have this kind of time on their hands? I work for a living. I have a 40+ hour per week job. I can only post in the evenings for a brief window of time, and, frankly, I have a life too. So…the sum of this is that Diggbats have no jobs, no life, and no sense of truism. Explains alot, doesn’t it?

thedecider on February 27, 2007 at 12:31 AM

Do you guys want me to launch a conservative digg-style site?

Vincenzo on February 27, 2007 at 1:03 AM

Do you guys want me to launch a conservative digg-style site?

Vincenzo on February 27, 2007 at 1:03 AM

I’d check with Bushco first – all actions must be approved by General Rove.

Rick on February 27, 2007 at 1:21 AM

Yup – wyrd is so right…I just odn’t understand lib’s that can’t live up to their own ideology…free speech is only free if you agree with them…and they think that’s ok…

JustTruth101 on February 27, 2007 at 2:32 AM

I say we start marking moonbat posts as spam over there.

PRCalDude on February 26, 2007 at 4:22 PM

You’d have to be there 24/7. Remember, we got jobs to go to, they don’t.

Coronagold on February 27, 2007 at 6:52 AM

E5infantry on February 26, 2007 at 4:24 PM

An abacus? An abacus?? Why, you young pups have it easy. Back in my day, we did math by rolling boulders around… :)

Back on subject… I long since gave up on Google; I use Ask.com instead. I have no idea what their corporate politics are; the page is a nice, clean, no-frills search engine. I never got into You-Tube or Digg; early indications – since confirmed – were that both were heavily slanted to the left. All three have been consigned to the same bit-bucket that is home to the so-called mainstream media.

Rusty Bill on February 27, 2007 at 9:08 AM

JET BOY—Great article about influence through DIGG.

The best ways to beat those b*stards at their own game is TO UNDERSTAND THE RULES….I have SAVED the link and will use it , as there are good links in the comments on it too.

THIS IS JETBOY’S ARTICLE ON UNDERSTANDING AND USING DIGG to beat those Diggtards at their own game.

Next time Jetboy, make your link BIGGER….don’t hide it under a bushel basket….heh….

seejanemom on February 27, 2007 at 9:13 AM

Maybe I’m missing something, and I do understand the idea behind this, but why bother to LET them “Digg” you into a hole? Don’t use it and make sure the Digg people know you’re not using it because of this type of abuse.

Rick Donaldson on February 27, 2007 at 9:28 AM

NKVD – National Kommisariat of Virtual Diggbats.

Beria’s blue caps are busy little bees.

forest on February 27, 2007 at 9:33 AM

@ seejanemom

sorry *hangs head in shame*

But yeah, the article explains alot…And believe me, people, articles on Digg do make it around…a plethora of other sites and blogs link to stories on Digg…they do have influence.

And the more anti-liberal influence there is, the better!

JetBoy on February 27, 2007 at 10:16 AM

It’s funny,

While the leftists will accuse us of trying to “game” the system, with the speed at which I’ve seen some stories buried I personally suspect digital shenanigans. I have seen stories that had several thousand Diggs suddenly dissapear from the radar under an AVALANCHE of buries all within a few seconds of each other. Somehow I seriously doubt that there are large numbers of liberals all getting online at exactly the same moment, finding the story at the same moment, and clicking the “bury” button with a few seconds of each other. It doesn’t happen with Diggs, and not on most stories that get buried.

I can’t imagine that it would be that difficult to harness a bot-net to Digg or bury stories that the bot-net wrangler didn’t like. I have sneaking suspicion that this is exactly what is happenning here.

We have a Liberal Bot-net admin (of course, Liberals not being much for the rule of law, a bot-net admin would almost HAVE to be liberal, as bot-nets are illegal.) He has a large Bot-Net, and has distributed some kind of script to all his machines, along with having created a pile of user accounts. When he finds a story he doesn’t like he commands his bot-net to bury it. Within moments, thousands of virus-bot controlled PC’s spring into action and log onto Digg and bury the specified story.

This would NOT be hard to script, all you need is a valid Digg account, and a way to send a story URL and select the “Digg” or “Bury” command for the bot to execute. It wouldn’t be hard to do, and I would bet good money that is exactly what is happening here.

wearyman on February 27, 2007 at 1:05 PM

Perhaps someone could set up a poll where we afficionadoes of Hot Air could vote, then just use the #1 choice to describe the Diggerals? In this effort I would submit.

DannoJyd on February 27, 2007 at 1:10 PM

… aficionados …

DannoJyd on February 27, 2007 at 1:12 PM

Click here as this is relevant!

I found the site via Digg.

DannoJyd on February 27, 2007 at 3:20 PM

I see that my original post on the 1993 WTC bombing anniversary (along with Ground Zero rebuilding) was similarly buried.

Nice. Real nice.

They labelled Malkin’s piece on the anniversary lame. Right. Remembering the fallen in a terrorist attack is lame.

Gotcha.

lawhawk on February 27, 2007 at 3:52 PM

I really think something else is going on in these blogs then just some detached brain stem whackos that spend all their time whacking the common sense conservative posts. Kind of a cyberspace Whack a Mole game. We could use Rush’s term and call them whackos.

The fact is that we are in a war. Sadly, much of the West does not see it, having the outdated concept war is a matter of military might, territory and body count.

This jihad is on all fronts – especially regarding the battle for the hearts and minds making the internet and the airways all too important. I believe there is a whole cadre of operatives, even in this country, whose job is to do their best to alter or shape public perception in favor of their ultimate goal – the Islamatization of the planet.

Why else would did the gentle athiest have his YouTube presentation of Koran versus get whacked down? Had it been a presentation on the lies of Christians and Jews throughout the ages the video would still be humming.

Why is there such vitrolic hatred for George Bush?? The poor man, albeit a committed Christian, only liberated a country from a cruel and vain dictator.

Why such a smear campaign against websites such as Hot Air and LGF? No doubt to make them ineffective.

Seeing groups like CAIR and others who spring into action at the least perceived offense shows also there is an agenda and something going on behind the scenes.

I think the perception of these groups is that Americans are so self absorbed, so materialistic, and so poorly educated related to global events that they are ripe for picking.

The sad truth is that they just may be right. I hope not. May the truth prevail.

Texas Mike on February 28, 2007 at 1:06 AM