Awesome: Virtual terrorists set off nuclear bombs in “Second Life”

posted at 6:04 pm on February 24, 2007 by Allahpundit

I’ve read this five times and still can’t decide what the proper reaction should be. Annoyance at what is, essentially, a nasty DOS attack? Amusement at the thought of mega-geeks waging jihad? Or astonishment at a virtual reality environment that includes real news agencies, real embassies, real presidential candidates, and anthropomorphic squirrels with suitcase nukes?

Actually, I do know the proper reaction. Awesome.

Marshal Cahill started playing Second Life before the boom [in membership] came, and has since witnessed arrogant gamers grow rampant. Players hog real estate, step on each others’ free speech, and run online mafias that harass the entire community. So how does he plan to solve this problem? Nukes of course. Even online humans are predictable. But instead of plastering people in main towns he chose to set us up the bombs near in-world corporations that would draw real world attention. The first nuke was detonated outside an American Apparel store, with an encore explosion occurring outside a Reebok store. 2-22-07. Never Forget… To Never Play.

How awesome does it get? This awesome.

Exit question: Dr. Strangelove here objects to all the new members flooding in — and his solution is to introduce nukes into the mix? Have you ever been more hot to sign up than right now?

More: (Bryan) I logged on to Second Life a few months ago. Bought the premium account so I could buy land that doesn’t exist. I spent about an hour traipsing around the virtual world before satisfying myself that the thing was one huge bore. And I never logged on again.

Why did I check it out? Hype. I read about the virtual millionaires and thought it all sounded fascinating. The problem is, the Second Life world itself is clunky and a lot like a ghost town. There are buildings and signs of civilization everywhere, but very very few actual people. Or avatars. Whatever. And the people you do run into tend to be either snobs or wackjobs. Or both.

Apparently, my time in Second Life was typical. Massive numbers of people check in, check out, and don’t check back in, while a small cadre of hardcore users keep the virtual world just alive enough to be annoying. But online journalists and bloggers write about it, amping up the hype, and generate another cycle of positive coverage of what amounts to the dullest online game ever. I guess nuke terrorists might spice that up, but just the other day I was talking with a friend about Second Life and my main sales point in that conversation has now been invalidated: I said that at least the Second Life world is jihad-free.

Update (Ian): I used to “play” Second Life” back in the day and there has always been people who like to cause trouble by blowing up bombs (which is just a massive explosion of code) to bring down servers. One time someone detonated a suicide bomb (rather, a push bomb). It’s not an act of terrorism, just a bunch of idiots.

(h/t Chris)

Comments

MEIN FUEHER, I HAVE A LIFE!

Defector01 on February 24, 2007 at 6:28 PM

Are they sure this wasn’t the work of Abu Fayed?

JG2K6 on February 24, 2007 at 6:34 PM

kinda sad that people care about about their WoW (or similar) character than what’s going on in the real world.

lorien1973 on February 24, 2007 at 6:46 PM

Answer to exit question:

I outgrew my geekism, right around the time I got married and started getting some on a daily basis.

Vinnie on February 24, 2007 at 6:52 PM

Have you ever been more hot to sign up than right now?

-at 6:04 pm on February 24, 2007 by Allahpundit

I did the MMORPG thing for a few months a few years ago.

Star Wars Galaxies: LAME: If I wanted to spend my time doing meaningless make-work, I could do it in REAL-reality and get paid REAL money.

City of Heroes/Villains: fun for a while due to good gameplay, but still lame. For someone like me who is in it for the stories… when a game lacks a solid plotline, it becomes uninteresting.

The Sims/Second Life/etc: not even worth thinking about… Refrence my Star Wars Galaxies comments.

Jones Zemkophill on February 24, 2007 at 7:13 PM

What the heck is “univeral suffrage”………..

Are they after our bodily fluids???

PinkyBigglesworth on February 24, 2007 at 7:46 PM

i beg to differ. it is real terrorism to the extent that second life is real. i’ve gotten into the experience in fits and starts and am now established there with property and other interests.

as much as i’d like to enjoy a tall glass of schadenfeud at the red on red terrorism (american apparell is an “anti-sweatshop” outfit) i know this is going to progress to the point where any non-maoist’s experience there will be miserable.

imagine if it happened to this site or a message board you liked. then imagine that it’s the only message board on the internet. then imagine that you’ve paid a subscription fee to post there. sure, you could turn off the computer and play frisby instead, but…

jummy on February 24, 2007 at 9:13 PM

i hope the lindens just blink out their accounts. its not even apt to describe them as a government to be appealed to. the more appropriate metaphore is deux ex machina. they set this thing up with hyek and von mises in mind. they intentionally court business participation. this commie bs can go assert itself on someone else’s virtual planet.

jummy on February 24, 2007 at 9:17 PM

i griefed edwards hq in lindenland. worth a couple of yuks, it was.

jummy on February 24, 2007 at 9:19 PM

If the professional critics love it, find it “edgy” etc., then run away.
This has made DRUDGE. It is the marketing equivalent of Britney Spears shaving her head. That’s how no talent has-beens get back on page one.

naliaka on February 24, 2007 at 10:08 PM

This reminds me of an episode of South Park. Sad.

uptight on February 25, 2007 at 4:14 AM

eh stupid gamers are everywhere. You think Second Life has some bad apples. Try playing xbox live – especially halo 2 around ten pm central till the early morning hours. Nothing but modders, bridgers, and loud mouthed racists of every sort.

I had to turn the voice off when I’m not playing with gamers I know because I have kids, and quit playing after about eleven at night because the cheating is so thick.

It’s just stupid.

You don’t enforce the rules … people won’t play by them.

One Angry Christian on February 25, 2007 at 10:25 AM

First it’s a game. Second, “geek” and out growing it are two different things. lol, I’m 50 and I still run role playing games, I game heavily online, so does my wife and.. well, we still “get it on a regular basis”. LOL

Seriously, I’ve been gaming in RPGs since computers were invented. I BUILT my first computer in the 1970s. I was playing computer games on programable calculators then too (Lunar lander for instance).

I’ve run BBSes since 1980 (dial up, now web based) and I’ve been heavily involved in computers many, many years.

The ONE thing that has been common to everything from online gaming to BBSes, and weblogs is that you have a contingent of anarchists out there, who break every rule they can break. Hackers, crackers, phreakers, Player-Killers, etc. It doesn’t matter, in what venue you LIVE (real or imagined) you are GOING TO FIND idiots who want to force you to live by THEIR rules.

They will come in and disrupt a game to force you to run for your life in the game (Ultima Online for instance, when it was first started, you could kill other players. So these little in-game terrorists would hang around town and murder unsuspecting people who walked out of safe areas, stealing all their hard-earned belongings, forcing players who just wanted to play as the game was MEANT to be played to figure out how to get around them).

So you see, it’s not “geekism”, it IS TERRORISM even in a game. Other games (one I play now) like Dark Age of Camelot, allos realm wars. You can come incontact with bad guys from the other “countries” in realm versus realm areas. But no where else and unless you’re “dueling” another player in your OWN realm, you can’t kill, rob or otherwise do anything bad to the other players.

The game as it’s limits, but then most do… unless terrorist hackers, players etc figure out ways around the rules. Now, gaming companies have taken to banning people like that.

Basically… there is a world psychology view to examine if you’re “deep in a dungeon” or out in real life, and few people fail to realize it. Most will just say, “It’s a GAME for God’s Sake” and let it go. They are missing an opportunity though, to actually see human behavior at it’s finest,… and at it’s worst.

Rick Donaldson on February 25, 2007 at 10:41 AM

I know why we’re seeing the sudden Hot Air interest in Second Life…seen this morning on foxnews.com:

Kirsten Powers attempts to navigate through the taudry world of Second Life

James on February 26, 2007 at 7:40 AM

Allah, are those terrorists Muslims in SL? If not, then they aren’t jihadis, they are plain ol’ terrorists.

Tim Burton on February 26, 2007 at 1:34 PM