Why Is 24′s Creator Conservative? Berkeley.

posted at 8:37 pm on February 16, 2007 by see-dubya

In a surprisingly forgiving piece about Fox News’s new Half Hour News Hour, the San Francisco Chronicle asks .5HNH and 24 creator Joel Surnow about why he’s so conservative:

Surnow told The Chronicle he was “fairly apolitical” until he attended college at UC Berkeley in the mid-1970s, where “I started hanging out with all these rich-kid Marxists, and I thought they were absurd.

“They were supported by their parents — from wealthy families — these upper-middle-class kids who were espousing the great communal experiments of Marx and Hegel. I thought they were idiots and hypocrites.”

Surnow said he’s had jobs since he was 12, and paid most of his way through college. Disgusted with his fellow students, he left UC Berkeley after 1 1/2 years.

All I can say to that is…Palomino!

In other comedy news, a gigantic Indian chief jumped up and squashed a college marching band beneath his vast busckskin-swathed legs and bottom. Little Big Horns, DrumsSalt Lake City Mayor Rocky Anderson immediately condemned unnamed bloggers and assured local Bosnians that “he would protect them from any backlash against them”.

Comments

I thought they were idiots and hypocrites.

Nothing has changed, nada!

Entelechy on February 16, 2007 at 8:50 PM

Yeah, I know… Rah rah USA, Jack Bauer saves the day!

Look, 24 is the slowest, most boring show I have ever seen in my life. I would rather watch an infomercial. Actually, I would much rather watch something with an actual storyline and some decent actors, like NBC’s The Office. The Office is as good as it is, partly, because it isn’t political. It’s just funny. After six very long, very polarized years of EVERYTHING being political, it’s nice to step back from that once in a while. If it’s a detective show you want, go with Law and Order. Much better writing and much more fast paced.

John on February 16, 2007 at 8:55 PM

Welp, I’m glad he’s conservative. So why does 24 this season have an administration hack pushing for internment of Muslims when the terrorist mastermind is already known, identified, and on the run? When administration hack will undoubtedly be nailed as a “conservative” viewpoint?

In other news, the chief in question appears to be Illiniwek, from my graduate institution, whose days are now numbered thanks to the strong-arming by the NCAA.

Anwyn on February 16, 2007 at 8:58 PM

Local schools no longer teach economics, American and World History, and U.S. Gov’t the same. So by the time students get to college they are already viewing capitolism as a reason for other’s (or their own) misfortune. (I have to argue this with some young troops in my unit) Since some are willing to work harder than others it is then not fair when the hard workers succeed and the others do not. Let’s tax them for being more successful. That makes sense. No wonder it has always led to the decline of inductry and business (jobs) where ever it shows its ugly head.

El Guapo on February 16, 2007 at 9:06 PM

John – It has always been like this. I just don’t know if it was as bad in the past (80′s and 90′s) as it is now with liberals practically attacking conservatives whenever they try to speak or hold a rally at colleges (sometimes the did get violent). Free speach is no longer a 2 way street it seems.

I like the show “Scrubs” myself.

El Guapo on February 16, 2007 at 9:10 PM

Palomino! That was a great clip. As for Berkeley, it should be declared a toxic waste site.

Zorro on February 16, 2007 at 9:11 PM

Medved played a clip from the 1/2 News Hour on his show today that I hadn’t seen before, and I was actually laughing out loud listening.

Maybe, just maybe….

a4g on February 16, 2007 at 9:14 PM

You hear that giant sucking sound? That’s the sound of the U of I’s alumni donations drying up. Rapidly.

Sean M. on February 16, 2007 at 9:17 PM

He hung around with the wrong kids…there are a lot of conservatives at Cal who aren’t there to march around and act like fools–they’re there to get an education, and that you can do very handily at Berkeley if you’re so inclined.

/last of 4 graduating in May, three from Cal and one from another UC, not a lefty loon among them

Bob's Kid on February 16, 2007 at 9:23 PM

good to have you back see dubya

LOVED the picture of the giagantic indian buttocks squashing the marching band.

One Angry Christian on February 16, 2007 at 9:28 PM

I thought they were idiots and hypocrites.

And if you know anything about SLC politics, Mayor Rocky Anderson fits right in with them.

Lawrence on February 16, 2007 at 9:28 PM

You wouldn’t know he’s a conservative from the latest plot development on 24. The evil Russian hardliner commies are using the poor unsuspecting Islamists to accomplish their agenda of world domination, while a supposedly ‘reformed’ Jihad leader is helping us? And the American VP and his cronies are also bad guys?

What a ludicrous freaking crock.

infidel4life on February 16, 2007 at 9:29 PM

Here in Decatur IL the chief has been a big topic for years now. Most people support the chief, as do I. Unlike most people in the area, I am not an Illini fan (Cubs and Packers only) but I do support the chief. It is sad to see the U of I groveling to the the NCAA gods of political correctness and do away with a great tradition.

On a separate note: Michelle, Bryan, Allah and friends… How come you never talk about biofuels like biodiesel and ethanol here? Why don’t you show a little love for the resourceful goodness of nature? A popular conservative site like HA could be a good platform for discussing these sorts of things.

John on February 16, 2007 at 9:30 PM

“Law and Order” John?

Less than a month ago, they made an episode where disgruntled U.S. soldiers tape an execution of a ‘random arab’. Earlier than that, they made an episode describing a guy representing the minutemen as murderers.

Don’t tell me it’s not political.

Viewtifulgare on February 16, 2007 at 9:39 PM

That is as messed up as Gary Buesy (spelling?) making that Turkish movie and about US troops and a jewish doctor steeling Iraqi organs for the black market. Any more proof Hollywood is smoking bananas?

El Guapo on February 16, 2007 at 9:47 PM

John – Biofuels wont work. Congress relies on tax revenue from oil way too much. And they actually make more $$ than the evil big oil companies from that rediculous tax.

El Guapo on February 16, 2007 at 9:49 PM

Don’t tell me it’s not political.

Viewtifulgare on February 16, 2007 at 9:39 PM

Political, and anti-Christian. I used to watch regularly, and I especially like former senator Fred Thompson.
They still have a good episode, from time to time, but often let their bias show way too much. They should stick with writing a good, intriguing plot. When they don’t, I turn them off.

IrishEyes on February 16, 2007 at 10:05 PM

Biofuels can and do work, particularly biodiesel, which is made from soybeans and is a perfect substitute for the fossil fuel version. A lot of people do not know this, but you don’t have to blend biodiesel with one ounce of traditional fuel oil. You just put it in and go! I hate to say it, but all the anti-biofuels people remind me too much of the anti-Halliburton crowd. There is a baseless, misinformed fear of the unknown out there that some people really just need to get past. I always fill up with the ethanol blended gas because it’s generally two cents less expensive per gallon and the mileage/performance is the same.

John on February 16, 2007 at 10:08 PM

I like the show “Scrubs” myself.

El Guapo on February 16, 2007 at 9:10 PM

Megadittoes on Scrubs, Guapo.

mikeyboss on February 16, 2007 at 10:26 PM

Where i live, ethanol blends cost the same and sometimes a little less per gallon, but the overall cost is the same because it burns hotter and faster giving the typical driver less miles per gallon. And you are being taxed on it twice. Once at the pump, and again by gov’t subsidies. Which is why a lot of people wont buy ethanol gas.

you are correct about biodiezel. that is a different story. you can even purify and filter old french fry oil and just put it strait in your tank.

but the point i was trying to get at is congress is so money hungry that in order to offest their loss of tax revenue from the lost oil market they will either have ot tax the green energy sources or raise the tax rates elsewhere. this is why i believe congress, especially tax happy democrats, secretly love oil companies.

the demand just isnt there yet because there still is not a true cheaper alternative to oil. as soon as someone finds a way to make green energy for cars that is cheaper in both the short and long run, and can get the motor companies to use that technology, the market will finally explode. and watch how congress reacts to prevent their loss of oil tax revenue that we all pay at the pump.

El Guapo on February 16, 2007 at 10:28 PM

Megadittoes on Scrubs, Guapo.

mikeyboss on February 16, 2007 at 10:26 PM

LOL….MegaDittoes to anyone who says “megadittoes”!

El Guapo on February 16, 2007 at 10:30 PM

I love fossil fuels, nuclear energy, Huggies in the land fill, veal, smoking my cigar at the bar, not neutering my dogs, the antlers on my den wall, my 44-40 and all the gadgets that go on it, my redwood deck, oh yeah, and that wonderful woman who married me.

Throwback. Troglodyte. Knuckledragger. FREE.

Limerick on February 16, 2007 at 10:33 PM

Limerick

LOL You might as well be preaching “Nuke gay whales for Jesus”.

I love my 30-06 and my 30-30, .410, 20, and 20 gauges, not lucky enough to have antlers on the wall yet but i do have a very large fox hide though. God bless America.

El Guapo on February 16, 2007 at 10:37 PM

Yeah, I know… Rah rah USA, Jack Bauer saves the day!

John on February 16, 2007 at 8:55 PM

awww… don’t take it so hard John. Be like Jack!

When life gives Jack Bauer lemons… he kills terrorists with them!

Jack Bauer hates lemonade.

SilverStar830 on February 17, 2007 at 12:30 AM

John – It has always been like this. I just don’t know if it was as bad in the past (80’s and 90’s) as it is now with liberals practically attacking conservatives whenever they try to speak or hold a rally at colleges (sometimes the did get violent). Free speach is no longer a 2 way street it seems.

I like the show “Scrubs” myself.

El Guapo on February 16, 2007 at 9:10 PM

During the 80s, there was Alex P. Keaton (Family Ties). He was what Hollywood and the left perceived Republicans to be (his parents, of course, were the more reasonable, down-to-earth people – who also happened to be former 60s protesters). During the 90s, Clinton was in office and all was fine in the world – Republicans were seen as almost extinct (even though 1994 was the turning point in Congress).

Rick on February 17, 2007 at 1:06 AM

During the 90s, Clinton was in office and all was fine in the world

Allowing North Korea to use our $$ and aid to further their nuclear program was fine? To refuse to pull the trigger on Bin Laden several times was fine? To refuse custody of Bin Laden was fine? To cheat on your wife is fine? (If you cheat on your wife and family I have to question what or who else you’ll betray) To cut funding to the military and CIA was fine, thus resulting in the body armor debacle in the beginning stages of the Iraq war Part 2 and the lack of reliable human intel that lead to the invasion? I am military active duty and I remember those cuts. His cuts were the reason our supply and logistics was years behind schedule when Bush took office.

All was not fine, and all was most certainly not dandy. All was just put off to a later date and Bush had to deal with it.

El Guapo on February 17, 2007 at 3:07 AM

I imagine that 24 is so leftarded because Surnow is probably the only conservative that has anything to do with the show.

Ethanol is a big lie. It takes more energy to make than it produces.

I don’t know about the others, but I would suspect that they aren’t nearly as good a deal as they sound like either.

Wolfman on February 17, 2007 at 3:07 AM

Clinoton was a great procrastinator, underestimator, mis-judger, and adulterer. That was it. And he even sucked as an adulterer.

El Guapo on February 17, 2007 at 3:09 AM

Thanks Wolfman!

As i stated, there is no substitute that can be cheaper in the short and long run. It actually takes a rediculously amount of corn to make a gallon of ethanol. Until we find a way to turn common house hold garbage into fuel, like Back to the Future, oil will always be the cheapest, even with all the taxes from congress.

El Guapo on February 17, 2007 at 3:12 AM

I know this is true because I was one of them. I was actually a conservative before I went to Cal (I registered to vote as a Republican within days of turning eighteen), but my expreiences there sort of reinforced my beliefs.

I’ll tell you a funny story–one that I should probably post on my own blog, but more people would read it here.

Berkeley in the nineties was a very different place from Berkeley in the sixties, seventies, ore even the eighties. In the nineties, when I was there, a lot of students were there to get degrees in engineering, computer science, business, and other disciplines which left them little time for protests, were they interested in studying hard and keeping up with the curve.

Now, around the same time, California voters passed Proposition 209, which was supposed to ban race-based affirmative action. For some students with a lot of time on their hands, this was an outrage. They formed a group called the Coalition to Defend Affitmative Action By All Means Necessary. They emphasized the latter part of their name by referring to themselves as BAMN.

Now, before and immediately after 209 was passed, there were massive protests on campus. But after a while, the students started going back to class, and the BAMN people didn’t seem to have as much support as they’d had before.

One day, I was walking through Sproul Plaza, where many of the affirmative action protests had taken place, and where many students gathered from day to day just to sit on the steps of buildins to eat lunch and hang out. I suddenly heard a strident female voice coming from Sproul Hall, the Administrative building, through a bullhorn. Members of BAMN had actually barricaded themselves into the administration building and were exhorting other Berkeley students to join them in their protest.

There. Were. No. Takers. Seriously, everyone who was in the plaza either sat there on the steps of the admin building eating their lunches–steps which are named after noted troublemaker Mario Savio–or hurried off to class.

There are plenty of Surnows at Cal at any given time. I’m just glad that he became successful and will speak about his political leanings.

Sean M. on February 17, 2007 at 8:11 AM

Is there a meaningful difference between the “conservative” view -about what we need to do to prevent Resurgent Islamic Imperialism -as opposed to the “liberal” view, when it comes to the jihadists themselves?

Theo Van Gogh was an “ultra-liberal” Dutchman, and he got shot repeatedly and had his thoat slit and a steak knife was plunged into his chest with a jihadist manifesto attached, for all of his “liberalism“.

His crime: opposing Islamic extremism in Holland.

And the “conservative” Nick Berg, a young entrepreneur businessman in the communications field, went to Iraq to help set up their electronics infrastructure and ended up getting his head removed by jihadist Zarqawi and his Islamofascist henchmen for all his efforts.

His crime: trying to help normal Iraqis.

It isn’t “conservative” or “liberal” to want to preserve the highest Civilization yet known to humanity from terroristic retrograde tyrants.

These silly dichotomies only weaken us all when we need to unite against the return of the hordes of the pedophile warlord.

(Russia, for all of its short-sighted panderings to Iran, etc., is only a nuisance to the U.S., and is being used by the jihadist, not the other way around, whatever realpolitik Neo-Soviet delusions Putin’s claque wants to imagine.)

profitsbeard on February 17, 2007 at 10:37 AM

El Guapo on February 17, 2007 at 3:07 AM

I was being sarcastic about what transpired in the 90s.

Rick on February 17, 2007 at 11:41 AM

It’s not perfect.

It still costs more in production and adds maintenance costs (filter and oil change frequency).

It gels at cold temperatures. Methods to combat this raise costs more. Tank warmers are one suggested method. But, you can’t shut off the engine in cold weather. Does that make sense?

Biodiesel also hold water; decreasing efficiency and increasing corrosion. Keep in mind the water can also freeze and strand you. Maybe global warming can help?

Biodiesel is good but it is far from perfect.

DWB on February 17, 2007 at 2:12 PM

Every gallon of biodiesel or ethanol produced reduces the amount of food available to another human being! Those thousands of acres of corn and soybean that are currently grown to produce alternative fuels could best be used to feed that starving masses around the world! How dare you remove the food from a starving child’s mouth just to power your cars and MP3 players! Don’t you people have a soul?

Ok, I’ll turn off moonbat mode for the remainder of the weekend.

RedinBlueCounty on February 17, 2007 at 8:09 PM

Speaking of Berkeley er, I mean Berserkly, let us not forget that “polite and gracious” reception that the boss got when she had to cancel her “In Defense of Internment” book signing there (a while back). Not that I would hold a GRUDGE, or anything.

CyberCipher on February 17, 2007 at 10:16 PM

CyberCipher:

I was THERE.

see-dubya on February 17, 2007 at 11:11 PM

As the Democrats finish the 2nd month of their reign in the House, they have voted to surrender to Al Qaeda. John Murtha has outlined the Democratic Party’s “bleed the soldierS” campaign. Amputee army veteran Josh Sparling was spit at (or on) and heckled in Washington DC where anti-war traitors vandalized the steps at the Capital — with willing compliance of the Democratic leadership of Congress. And so THIS NIGHTMARE goes on.

PALOMINO!!