WaPo’s Kurtz Profiles Lonely Outspoken Conservative Who Brings It All On Herself

posted at 4:08 am on February 16, 2007 by see-dubya

Keep an eye on this one, she’s going places:

“She’s a very tough lady,” says Bryan Preston, her business partner in the daily video blog Hot Air. “You’ve never met a happier person than Michelle when she’s in the thick of a fight. She enjoys the combat of ideas.”

That persona is a far cry from the self-described “geek” of her youth. Michelle Maglalang grew up outside Atlantic City in a Reaganite, conservative Catholic family, was not politically active, and failed a fifth-grade public speaking class. As a college student, she was so naive that when a married Republican congressman invited her to live in his home during her internship with then-Sen. Bill Bradley (D-N.J.), she thought it was a generous offer until her parents straightened her out.

Kurtz goes on to dwell on her outrageous pugnacious in-your-faceousness, and doesn’t give Michelle much credit for being anything but a controversialist.

I don’t claim to know Michelle that well, but I do read what she writes, and I follow this site, and that characterization seems like a disservice to her. I know some bloggers and columnists who are nothing but combative controversialists, and them, I avoid. Some pundits are outspoken to conceal a lack of ideas–and that’s obviously not Michelle.

In Michelle’s defense, Kurtz quotes Bryan, and Michelle’s husband Jesse. He doesn’t bother to contact, say, another conservative blogger who hasn’t named a sarcastic award after her. And then he finishes off with a sad little riff about how lonely and alienated she makes herself:

It is as though eternal vigilance is the price of being Michelle Malkin: No slight can go unanswered, no insult allowed to stand. Blogging is an addiction, she says, but not one she is looking to kick.

“You have to accept that you’ll never have many friends,” Malkin says. “It’s a lonely existence.”

To prove that point, Kurtz runs extensive carping from Wonkette’s Ken Layne, lefty blogger Duncan “Atrios” Black, and Andrew “Conservative” Sullivan, who gives out a “Malkin award” for outrageousness, and who seems to think Michelle brings all her troubles on herself:

At the same time, says Sullivan, “she’s been subjected to some pretty horrifying bigotry from the left, based on her gender and ethnicity and ugly stereotypes. You can’t engage in the kind of rhetoric she does and not expect some blowback.”

Weird how those ideas of Sullivan’s just run up against each other like that, almost as if the second sentence was intended as an excuse for the conduct described in the first. It’s just blowback; she has it coming, you see.

Sullivan also calls Michelle “shrill”. That, too, may have been a poor choice of words.

ONE MORE THING: We’re just coming off a major story about the two blushing songbirds John Edwards hired and fired as campaign bloggers. Kurtz’s “Michelle Malkin as Lone Wolf McQuade” piece looks utterly risible when you compare Michelle to those genuinely venomous and bitter characters who just exited the national spotlight, stage left.

UPDATE: Lots of discussion here. Let’s make this a top pick!

UPDATE II: LGF has rounded up some of the nutroots’ calm, reasoned reactions. I haven’t clicked through to them, so tell us in the comments if there’s anything juicy.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

See-Dub–I know. I’m saying you didn’t need to. Anyway that’s the least of the issues. Good post.

Anwyn on February 16, 2007 at 2:16 PM

To A True American Lightning Rod and FiRePlug We can all draw Comfort and Inspiration FRom…

Thanks for being who you are, Michelle!

Job well done!

normsrevenge on February 16, 2007 at 2:20 PM

RedWinged Blackbird, says

Speaking of the Filipino Firecracker for O’Reilly tonight.

Slight correction: Filipina Firecracker

Not that I would ever accuse the eminently PC New York Times of sexism for using a gender specific adjective.

dinasour on February 16, 2007 at 3:01 PM

Well, all 3 are currently self-employed…

Jim Treacher on February 16, 2007 at 3:02 PM

Blockquote

Strike
Whatever

dinasour on February 16, 2007 at 3:02 PM

Kurtz’s methods have become…unsound.

Readymade on February 16, 2007 at 10:57 AM

“Insane. Yes, sir. Clearly insane.”

Jaibones on February 16, 2007 at 3:41 PM

MICHELLE keep doing the great work along with your team. It is obvious Kurtz don’t know that cream risie to the TOP.Thanks for keeping the truth relavant in your writings

bones47 on February 16, 2007 at 3:41 PM

Who says Michelle doesn’t expect some level of blowback? The issue is the extreme level of the blowback. Racial insults. Gender insults. Sexual harassment. Threats against her life. Shots against her marriage. Harassment of her family. etc

Mark Jaquith on February 16, 2007 at 3:43 PM

Wear it as a badge of honor!

I think Michelle is a good, hard-working journalist.

budorob on February 16, 2007 at 3:49 PM

As Mr. Trump would claim, all news is good for business, even if it’s not all positive. For Mr. Kurtz, this was not so bad, and it was 3 pages, which is unusual for most articles these days. It also mentioned Michelle’s endeavours, some repeatedly, and included HA.

…the WaPo features a huge piece by Howard Kurtz on Michelle Malkin

The proof is in Ms. McEwin’s envy.

Entelechy on February 16, 2007 at 3:50 PM

“There is a feeling that every time we go to bat for the Bush administration, they pull the rug out from under us,” she says.

Michelle is so awesome, she can get away with the occasional egregious mixed metaphor.

mikeyboss on February 16, 2007 at 3:57 PM

Mom always said, don’t play ball in the house.

mikeyboss on February 16, 2007 at 3:58 PM

“Michelle Malkin as Lone Wolf McQuade”

Chuck Norris is Michelle’s father.

Search your feelings–you know it to be true.

ScottMcC on February 16, 2007 at 4:01 PM

Kurtz is a jerkz. MM RULES!

labwrs on February 16, 2007 at 4:07 PM

RedWinged Blackbird, says

Speaking of the Filipino Firecracker for O’Reilly tonight.

Slight correction: Filipina Firecracker

dinasour on February 16, 2007 at 3:01 PM

Huh?? I thought she was American? What kind of scam are you all running here? Is this website based in the Philippines? It’s gotta be that Pundit guy.

Rick on February 16, 2007 at 4:12 PM

I just looked through the comments on the pages linked by LGF. Sadly, I’ll never get back those 20 minutes of my life. Pass the Maalox, please…

I have little use for Andrew Sullivan. Perhaps he cannot realize that, when the other side is shouting so loudly with such venom, sitting back and talking in hushed tones isn’t going to be heard or even taken seriously. Good for Michelle that she doesn’t apologize for relaying the facts in a way that shows that she really means it. If she’s “shrill,” that’s the sad price of the times in which we live; I’ll take credibility over calmness anyday.

flutejpl on February 16, 2007 at 4:58 PM

For those of you keeping score at home, this Kurtz article is now linked by Fark with the following headline: “Filipino hottie Michelle Malkin has replaced Anne Coulter as America’s sexiest right-wing propagandist”

Enrique on February 16, 2007 at 4:59 PM

Michelle is no shrill.

Catie96706 on February 16, 2007 at 5:07 PM

Of course it was a disservice to Michelle. Kurtz wrote it this way on purpose as a not-so-subtle attack on Michelle’s intellect and characters. Mocking her success and the success of the Hot Air crew.

Kurtz is wrong, of course.

Lawrence on February 16, 2007 at 5:20 PM

Love you, Michelle.

Halley on February 16, 2007 at 6:00 PM

Well, I dunno ’bout that. I’m thinking that should she and I ever run in the same social circles I expect that we’d get along swimmingly.

Can’t say the same about Howard Kurtz, however.

Bob's Kid on February 16, 2007 at 6:12 PM

Crap.
Michelle is all class & they just can’t compete.
Nothing to see here.
Carry on Hot Air

wcarr on February 16, 2007 at 6:51 PM

At the end of the blogger year, when a review is done, surely an award should be given to Michelle for that hysterical send-up of Amanda at the keyboard. Michelle didn’t add a single word, it was all Amanda. Devastating just doesn’t do it justice. All Michelle did was give us the visual. Brilliantly simple. The dust hasn’t settled yet.
Of course, the serious award would go to both Michelle and Bryan for calling the AP’s and the MSM enablers’s bluff and marching off to Baghdad for first hand reporting, and providing the world with a fair and fascinating peek into the daily loves of our soldiers, the Iraqis and the stabilization of Iraq. Superb!

naliaka on February 16, 2007 at 7:27 PM

Why is it, with conservatives, that (a) an ability to argue politics in the shout-show TV environment is conflated with (b) a generalize aggressiveness?

The MSM never suggests that liberal mouthpieces like George Stephanopoulos are “combative” or “pugnacious” or “controversial” — or, if such a suggestion is made, such attributes are deemed assets. A conservative who assertively advances his or her views, however, is automatically cast in the role of firebrand extremist.

Ali-Bubba on February 16, 2007 at 8:08 PM

Michelle is on, the “chair” is hers, and she wears it well.

Zorro on February 16, 2007 at 8:09 PM

MM is guest-hosting The Factor right now. I’m honored to be able to say I have read Michelle and visited her blog as well as here daily since she started out. God Bless her.

Griz on February 16, 2007 at 8:19 PM

Mabuhi ang Pilipino!

Kini on February 16, 2007 at 8:41 PM

Michelle, my dear, you have more friends than you will ever know. I doubt not that there are many-times-many who would back you with rhetoric, money, fists or guns if ever you were to call, and never ask the reason why. I know this, for I am one such.

Rusty Bill on February 16, 2007 at 8:50 PM

I WANT MY “MM”TV.

Michelle deserves her own TV show.

Lawrence on February 16, 2007 at 8:51 PM

Oohh… Just check in on O’Reilly, with Michelle co-hosting.

Michelle has her hot red lipstick on tonigh…

Yowww!

Lawrence on February 16, 2007 at 8:54 PM

Kick ass & Take names & Publish them. Hey! I like that, they can do it to sex offenders so why not traitors!

sonnyspats1 on February 16, 2007 at 9:33 PM

MM has always been a regular read since I started on the blogs, and I always go to her site first.

The Divine Ms. MM has thousands and thousands of fans who absolutely adore her, and wouldn’t know Howard the Duck if they tripped over him in a bar.

On word comes to mind: Projection

dinasour on February 16, 2007 at 8:47 AM

Michelle, you will always have more friends than the likes of Kurtz (or Sullivan) can count.

“Shrill”, “lonely”, “You can’t engage in the kind of rhetoric she does and not expect some blowback.” – sounds like someone confused Malkin for Marcotte. Projection, indeed. The pervasive liberal mental disease.

IrishEyes on February 16, 2007 at 9:53 PM

MM, you rock!

Malpaso on February 16, 2007 at 10:32 PM

Michelle is honest and courageous, refuses to consult a PC cheat-sheet before thinking, and therefore the left hates her. Andy, he’s just so full of himself he hates anyone else with real thoughts these days, like he’s the only real conservative in the world.

I’ve followed a simple formula ever since I saw how the left treated Reagan:

You know more certainly where someone stands by who despises them, than by any other measure.

Using that rule, keep up the good work, Michelle!.

Freelancer on February 16, 2007 at 10:34 PM

They’re just jealous because Michelle’s so great at what she does. Good for ‘em!

SpartRan on February 16, 2007 at 10:40 PM

The reasons for the left’s hatred for Michelle are pretty simple. (1) She’s from two “minority” groups (non-white and female) and she’s a conservative, so she’s an apostate from the liberal “church” which supposedly always speaks for minorities; (2) her extraordinarily sharp tongue usually leaves them at a loss for words and choking on their own rage; and (3) she’s attractive, which brings out the misogyny in leftist men and the envy in the left-wing women.

WasatchMan on February 16, 2007 at 10:40 PM

For now, I still investigating Allah. I will profile him soon.

This is just a joke. I wanted to get somebody’s heart boiling.

Ouabam on February 17, 2007 at 1:19 AM

Seriously, who the f*** is Kurtz? I can’t help but regard all leftists as traitors until they prove otherwise–and that includes POS’s like Murtha (if this drunken rant gets me banned, so be it). So far a grand total of 0 (that’s Z-E-R-O) have passed the test.

(Just to be clear, I just got here, and I am in no way responding to anything that has been said in the thread, just the post. MM can’t be compared to idiots like Marcotte and what’s-her-name–like it matters. MM’s arguments are cogent, relevant, and reasonable. I have yet to see anything from anyone on the left that fits that “profile.” And that includes what has been mentioned, in brief, from this allegedly conservative [my a**] Sullivan. He’s an arch-leftist who claims to be moderate[?]-right to get some cover for his cowardice and treason.)

Sorry for the bitch-fest.

urbancenturion on February 17, 2007 at 1:42 AM

Michelle, I use to have the best friends money could buy, trust me, friends are way over rated. Most of the time they let you down and are a real pain in the butt. You don’t need friends, you got a great family and a serious purpose in life. God Bless you and thanks for all you do!

Maxx on February 17, 2007 at 1:57 AM

I’d be PROUD to call you “friend.” I think that most of the people commenting in this blog share that opinion.

Do not sell yourself short, Michelle.

georgej on February 17, 2007 at 7:07 AM

Michelle was an intern for Bill Bradley?

No wonder she runs circles around those jokers on the looney Left.

Anil Petra on February 17, 2007 at 8:17 AM

If only Kurtz would have published some of the really nasty and vile responses Michelle has received from her postings, then readers would have realized how measured and restrained Michelle’s responses have been.

I am very impressed that Michelle (and Bryan, AP, Ian, and the rest of the crew here) realize that exposing opposing ideas to the light is much more effective of dealing with them than ranting and smearing others, ala the moonbat way.

Keep it up Michelle, we are here for you.

Mallard T. Drake on February 17, 2007 at 10:48 AM

The nutroots are not posting something that could be considered ‘blowback,’ they are posting deliberately slanderous and deceitful statements which would get a conservative kicked of the ‘liberal’ blogs after the first post. Once again, it’s an example of the do-as-I-say-and-not-as-I-do mentality of the left.

RedinBlueCounty on February 17, 2007 at 1:46 PM

Readymade,

they just don’t understand us, man. But we understand.

Jaibones on February 17, 2007 at 5:29 PM

As better men than I have said: “You know you’re over the target when you start taking fire.” Michelle, the fact that liberals hate you so much just means that you’re doing something right. I’m another one that believes in judging a person by their enemies, and you p*ss off all the right people.

ReubenJCogburn on February 17, 2007 at 6:11 PM

As many others have said here, I have read Michelle Malkin’s columns since they were first put in our local paper. There has been, over the years, only consistency in the quality, thoughts, and love of country (as well as people) exemplified in her articles.

When others have faltered, she has taken the cross (perhaps literally) for many of us who otherwise would have no voice on issues such as illegal immigration, corruption, ethics in government, patriotism, and many, many more.

She has been what every real journalist should aspire to become who chooses the profession.

It is no surprise that she has come under fire by those meaning to demonize those who would use common sense, fairness, and live by an moral, ethical standard personally and professionally.

I will not say merely left wingers seek to damage her, because the tendency to sugar coat and decieve the mass flows on both sides of the political spectrum. Those persons also have a stake in demonizing her, but from the sidelines and through proxies. Her voice threatens them, too, for they share the guilt in enabling what we think of as the left’s more obvious actions.

Truth illuminates darkness, in other words, and those of the night cannot stand in the face of it.

Michelle Malkin, keep on being the best you that you can be, for that is what is needed at this time in history. You are not the lone voice in the wilderness, but you are representative of many of us for whom you do speak for in word and in deed who would otherwise perhaps have either no or limited voice.

You have been a trailblazer who has shown the way.

My wife and I wish nothing but the best for you and your family in these times. You have our thanks, our support and our prayers.

Emmett J. on February 17, 2007 at 6:45 PM

I just read Howard Kurtz’s piece on Michelle and frankly, I was disgusted.

Let’s say you are the average Joe picking up the newspaper and you decide to take the time and read “A Hard Right Punch”.

Unless you have read Michelle’s syndicated articles in the newspaper, clicked on her blog or watched her video dispatches from Hot Air, you are given the impression that Michelle is some hard right winged attack machine and (gasp) she is a Republican.

Kurtz does give a little historical background on Michelle but it is revealed within the context of her detractors attacks on her. He sparingly sprinkles a few background facts about where she grew up and who she is married to but all within the context of the attacks on her.

He calls her investigative journalism “Campaigns” and tells the reader that she is controversial according to people like Andrew Sullivan.

For a guy that is supposed to be a highly regarded Journalist, Kurtz piece on Malkin in the end is just another smear job masquerading as professional journalism.

You would at least expect him to follow the time honored journalistic writing form ; Who, What, When, Where, Why, and How.

ScottyDog on February 19, 2007 at 12:28 AM