Video: Troops tell Geraldo they support the surge

posted at 6:25 pm on February 15, 2007 by Allahpundit

People are emailing to request this so I feel obliged to post it, but honestly, it leaves me cold. Geraldo’s too unctuous to sell it and his treatment of the troops borders on rude. He’s not asking them for their opinions; he knows their opinions already but wants to feign spontaneity, so instead of taping a bunch of interviews and editing them he asked them each to come outside and form an assembly line of five-second shots of morale juice. I edited out almost three full minutes of him rambling about operations in Baghdad that could have been devoted to asking these guys questions.

It’s all about Geraldo. It always is.

Comments

In the vein of the half hour news hour…some of these things make it look like Fox is trying to be seen as a right wing shill.

starflyer on February 15, 2007 at 6:35 PM

Yeah, exactly. I have no doubt these are their honest opinions, but it looks like propaganda.

Allahpundit on February 15, 2007 at 6:37 PM

Aren’t the troops obliged (chain of command) to support the president’s decision even if they disagree with it?

lorien1973 on February 15, 2007 at 6:40 PM

Support it how? By doing interviews with Geraldo Rivera?

Allahpundit on February 15, 2007 at 6:41 PM

Did they have a choice to appear? If Rivera throws a camera on them and says “do you support the surge” – they have to say yes, don’t they?

lorien1973 on February 15, 2007 at 6:42 PM

No. But what they are supposed to do is to tell Geraldo to go talk to the PAO (Public Affairs Officer). It’s pretty much up to the Company/Battalion chain of command.

JasonG on February 15, 2007 at 6:47 PM

Don’t get me wrong. I’m totally for the “surge” (stupid name though). I wish more troops had gone in from the beginning. But this puff piece isn’t really serving anyone, but Geraldo’s mustache. Aren’t only like 20% of the surge troops even on the ground right now? It has the air of propoganda to me, and I really don’t like that. We need a little more reality here.

lorien1973 on February 15, 2007 at 6:49 PM

Sure it smells like propaganda. It is.

But dammit its propaganda from the wide of people who want to win, instead of the crap we’ve heard from John “Slowbleed” Murtha and the rest of the Defeat-America-First left.

Screw those bastards. Iraq is one battle. It’s not the whole war. Those who wish our defeat, (including some of the Muslims), want this push to fail. Unfortunately, they are the ones controlling the pursestrings. (Not the Muslims, of course, but our “fellow citizens”).

I’ll take pro-war propaganda. Again–this is but one battle. The war will rage for years to come, through administrations lefat and right. Rudy put it best: It’s not up to us to whether this war will be fought.

HerrMorgenholz on February 15, 2007 at 6:55 PM

What gloves are we talking about here? Does surge=gloves off? More gloved hands the same as fewer bare knuckles? What exactly is meant by ‘tied hands’ and ‘gloves’, and how is that remedied with a surge?

shaken on February 15, 2007 at 6:57 PM

It’s all about Geraldo. It always is.

So true!

NTWR on February 15, 2007 at 6:59 PM

lorien1973 on February 15, 2007 at 6:42 PM

No. They don’t. If that is their personal opinion. If they say they don’t support it, AND they refuse to participate, then they might get into trouble.

And, yes, they do have the choice not to answer the questions.

>>>

As far as propaganda? Of course it’s propaganda.

All the bad news coming out of Iraq is propaganda, and no reason to think that good news isn’t. In the end, it’s all edited news… hence, some form of good or bad propaganda.

Lawrence on February 15, 2007 at 7:01 PM

Opps. I meant to quote you lorien187973, not strike you.

Lawrence on February 15, 2007 at 7:02 PM

I didn’t think it looked like propaganda, at least the way it was edited. Geraldo should have given them more time to speak though.

forged rite on February 15, 2007 at 7:08 PM

Probably the difference bewteen WWF and UFC when it comes to allowing some real bashing to be done.

Kokonut on February 15, 2007 at 7:10 PM

lorien1973

One can tell this idiot has no experience in or with mitlitary personnel. A mouth breather from dailykrap or Steve Gilliard sicophant. If they accidentally encountered one of these fine people, they’ed soil themselves and run for mommy.

Jarhead on February 15, 2007 at 7:14 PM

Propaganda? Geraldo’s one of the open lefties on Fox. Yes he comes off as rude in the video, though he usually he’s usually in pretty good with these guys… I’ll cut him a bit of slack and say perhaps it was being rushed because of the pouring rain…. though I agree that it did come off rude.

That said, this was necessary after NBC’s recent crap piece in which their reporter (can’t remember his name) in Iraq said that ALL the troops told him they were opposed to the surge and wanted out, even though he didn’t have even one clip of a single one of the troops making comments on it. This was a necessary answer to that. By the way, people wrote in to O’Reilly who had been with or had kids who were with the unit the NBC reporter was referring to who claimed that everyone was in support of it, making the NBC reporter a liar.

Anyway, does anyone here think that Mr. hold up black babies and cry my eyes out in New Orleans Geraldo is running PR for the Bush administration? Please.

RightWinged on February 15, 2007 at 7:32 PM

Whatever it is, Grandpa Simpson is already at work to introduce a supplement to cut off funding for them by refusing reinforcements. Imagine it – “allowing” the troops to go, but making the criteria for sending reinforcements so outrageously difficult as to be impossible. Way to support the troops Grandpa!

thedecider on February 15, 2007 at 7:47 PM

Kinda off-topic but if you want to sign a petition demanding accuracy in media you can do so here. It’s from the Media Research Center.

It’s an Important Action Alert haha.

Brent Bozell believes that media bias has reached its worst level in the past 24 years, distorting the truth about the war, the economy and more. A new study released by the non-partisan Center for Media and Public Affairs confirms Brent’s claims, noting that 77 percent of ABC, CBS and NBC evening news coverage was favorable to Democrats this fall, while 88 percent of the coverage given GOP candidates was negative.

NTWR on February 15, 2007 at 7:47 PM

A mouth breather from dailykrap or Steve Gilliard sicophant.

Hehe! I love things like that ;) Too funny. People dump in with the ad hominem’s way too quickly without thinkin’ too hard, I think.

lorien1973 on February 15, 2007 at 7:48 PM

Geraldo is always about self-promotion. His tabloid style of journalism requires self-promotion in order for him to remain employed. As for his interviews, I didn’t find him to be rude to the troops. He allowed them to say their piece and as soon as they were done he quickly moved on to the next one. It was clearly staged, but I didn’t see the rudeness.

thedecider on February 15, 2007 at 7:53 PM

I hate that guy…why do they keep him around?

EnochCain on February 15, 2007 at 7:58 PM

I hate Geraldo.

I was good to hear from those Warfighters though.

x95b10 on February 15, 2007 at 8:11 PM

Saw this today and thought the same thing. I don’t doubt that the guys interviewed were expressing their real opinion but Geraldo’s presentation made it seem very canned.

Greg Tinti on February 15, 2007 at 8:33 PM

What they meant by “taking the gloves off” was relaxing some of the rules of engagement. Our troops are overencumbered by too many rules to get the job done. Iraq is too political and our officers aren’t even given the opportunity to command their soldiers because they’re higher-ups are afraid. The more powerful our media gets, the harder it is to win a war. We didn’t have to deal with this stuff when we were rebuilding japan or Germany. The Japanese even developed a phrase for dealing with American troops, “Shikata ga nai” or “Nothing can be done about it” (according to Wikipedia). You have to have order before you can build anything, and our troops aren’t being given much authority to establish order. That’s one big reason why the process is taking so long. Not enough troops, yes. Culture shock, yes. But mostly it’s having our troops fighting with one hand tied behind their backs.

JohnJ on February 15, 2007 at 8:47 PM

Rightwinged, the NBC reporter in question is Richard Engel. He is a liar.

God bless the troops. They are the hope of America’s future.

Phil Byler on February 15, 2007 at 9:02 PM

This is a great peice! Real troops saying what they feel instead of politicians saying what they THINK people want to hear.

Kick butt and take names guys! God bless our troops, their families, the commanders, and the commander in chief!

csdeven on February 15, 2007 at 9:23 PM

Rightwinged, the NBC reporter in question is Richard Engel. He is a liar.

God bless the troops. They are the hope of America’s future.

Phil Byler on February 15, 2007 at 9:02 PM

Yup, that’s the one. Thanks Phil.

RightWinged on February 15, 2007 at 9:50 PM

IIRC, wasn’t Geraldo thrown out of Iraq once already for drawing maps in the sand?

harrison on February 15, 2007 at 9:58 PM

harrison on February 15, 2007 at 9:58 PM

Yeah, at the start of the war. He was embedded with the Rakkasans (sp).

91Veteran on February 15, 2007 at 10:20 PM

Propaganda is half the war effort, but in this case, all we gotta do is get the truth out and we win.

Tony737 on February 15, 2007 at 10:49 PM

Propaganda? Why are you complaining about good propaganda? So what? We did it in WWII and I’ll tell you, that helped us win.

Ian on February 15, 2007 at 10:54 PM

The president says that the gloves are off, and I hope that is the case. We can’t win a PC war. If the rules of engagement are limited, we will have a case like Somalia, where the troops had to call HQ and confirm that they were being fired upon, while our guys were being picked off by the enemy left and right.
Hey Allahpundit, why exactly is propaganda a bad thing? Without propaganda the US was putting out countering the Nazi propaganda, we never would have had the support of the american people in that war, especially if we had news organizations like CNN that keep a running total of the casualties. The problem I see is that the left has the anti-war propaganda, and the enemy has anti-American propaganda, but the president isn’t allowed to use propaganda for support of this war?
The fact that 2/3 of the population of this country is against this war is proof that the leftist propaganda is working. The fact that the 10% of the “Moderate” Muslim population that is on the fence is starting to lean toward the Jihadists is proof that the Anti-American propaganda is working, yet we see NO propaganda for support of this war from the president or his cabinate, because that just wouldn’t be politically correct. Where is the logic in that?
Where are the rebuttles to the idea that 500 serine tipped artillary rounds aren’t WMDs?
Why is he not pointing out the fact that the entire Scooter Libby trial revolves around the fact that Joe Wilson lied, and Saddam did in fact lobby the Nigerians for nuclear material? Plus, the fact that Valery Plame was not an “operative” when her name was “Leaked” which would negate any claim that a crime was committed.
Why is he not confirming the fact that Saddam harbored al Qaeta terrorists, and trained members of the Taliban Army. These facts had been confirmed by not only intelligence agencies, but by ABC news.
Why is he not standing up to the claim that he lied to go to war, when he, I, you, and most of the conservative blog community knows that it is not true?
Why are we, and the president so afraid of propaganda that is so very needed right now, especially when there is a debate in the congress that has this campaign, and the safety of this country hanging in the balance?

webdemon on February 15, 2007 at 10:55 PM

I’ve been watching C-span tonight just for the heck of it.

Rep. Steve Buyer is the first politician in YEARS that has impressed me. His remarks at 11:50 (roughly) PM Eastern time on 02/15/2007 were moving.

Listening to how he actually does have a thorough understanding of the factual situation impressed me. There are plenty of people on both sides that are fools. Some with good intentions, some with ill intentions, but it is rare to find a person who applies wisdom and facts to an issue.

Jones Zemkophill on February 16, 2007 at 12:27 AM

Ian on February 15, 2007 at 10:54 PM

So true Ian. I agree.

angryamerican on February 16, 2007 at 12:50 AM

I don’t believe “They can do the job, if Washington just gives them the chance”, it should be

“if the Democrat Party, the MSM, and the Left in the United States just gives them the chance, they will win this war….”

PinkyBigglesworth on February 16, 2007 at 1:02 AM

We did it in WWII and I’ll tell you, that helped us win.

Ian on February 15, 2007 at 10:54 PM

Sure did, Ian, and to great effect.

Roosevelt and Hoover would never have permitted the publication of stories placing the enemy in a positive light. If the troops wouldn’t have outright shot a reporter for doing so, the folks back home would have burned the newspaper to the ground and tarred and feathered the publisher.

Nowadays it is a freaking “badge of honor” in the media to see who can be the most sensationalist, whether the story is true or not.

BacaDog on February 16, 2007 at 7:31 AM

Ian on February 15, 2007 at 10:54 PM

Sure, but if it looks like propoganda, then it isn’t effective.

Esthier on February 16, 2007 at 10:36 AM

YEAH for our troops!! May God continue to guide and protect them!! Don’t you know that was one of the hardest things Geraldo has ever had to do! :0) I’m sure reporting what our troops actually think went against everything he has ever stood for…..Again, YEAH for our troops, I’m so proud of the excellent job they are doing!

SWEt on February 16, 2007 at 12:33 PM

When troops are suggesting that we take the gloves off, you know that the problem is with the Commander in Chief. He needs to grow a backbone, stop loving the enemy, and let us start fighting like Grant, Sherman, Patton, or any other great general would have us fight. Drop leaflets, then start shelling. Arabs have lived in tents for thousands of years, they can handle it again.

PRCalDude on February 16, 2007 at 12:41 PM

And there is your enlightened quote of the day. I’m glad I am not the S-5 of a unit where you might be in charge…

major john on February 16, 2007 at 3:17 PM

You can bet that most of the MSM will not show ANY troops supporting the increase in troop levels. You can also bet the all the left-wing sites will call this propaganda, as some are already calling it here. Some people understand that any statement can be considered propaganda, but the public at large looks upon the term ‘propaganda’ as the use of misleading or false information to influence public opinion.

You can be sure that those opposed to the ‘surge’ will use the term ‘propaganda’ when discussing the statements of troops who support this increase. The use of that term will give the false impression that the troops are being forced to say something they don’t really mean, just like some have suggested here.

RedinBlueCounty on February 16, 2007 at 3:52 PM

I’m not on active duty anymore, thanks. I’m a squid anyway. I’m merely speaking as a student of history on how things *used* to be done. Perhaps my position lacks sufficient ‘nuance’ for you? I just don’t do nuance. If we’re to perpetuate the Pax Americana, we need to convince our enemies to be afraid of us. Right now, they’re not.

PRCalDude on February 16, 2007 at 4:41 PM

I don’t do nuance either. I prefer to have our enemies destroyed and not act like the French Army in Algeria.

You don’t have to flatten entire neighborhoods to frighten your enemies. And you if you appear to be advocating such, you help bolster left-wing preconceptions.

I hope we disagree on style more than effect.

major john on February 16, 2007 at 5:53 PM

I hope we disagree on style more than effect.

major john on February 16, 2007 at 5:53 PM

I don’t know if you just made major or what, but my pastor’s son is a JO in the Marines and he was in the battle of Fallujah and saw some of his Marines die. None of our boys deserved to be dead “to win hearts and minds.” Flattening that city was the way to go and I don’t care what the left thinks.

You don’t have to flatten entire neighborhoods to frighten your enemies.

It sure helped end WWII, now didn’t it?

PRCalDude on February 16, 2007 at 5:58 PM

I have 22 years in, enlisted and officer. DOR for O-4 is 7 Feb 03.

We have the means to kill the bad guys now without simply killing everyone in an entire neighborhood. I doubt very much there were many innocents hanging around Fallujah, so there you could use more destructive power.

You seem to be trying to cast me in some sort of “soft” light. I had no problem steering an Apache onto three guys who had just shot at us. They aren’t shooting anymore. I didn;t tell the pilot to go and shoot up the village they were coming from to teach a lesson or such. Soviets tried that were I was and it didn’t seem to work too well. Instead, everyone got to see three dead bad guys as an example for everyone else, then they went home to their non-destroyed homes and thought about it. No trouble from that place for the rest of the tour…

major john on February 16, 2007 at 6:27 PM

I advocated dropping leaflets beforehand. Besides, we didn’t use more destructive power in Fallujah, we went door to door. The Soviet action in Afghanistan was largely disrupted by stinger missiles, which we supplied. They had no problems subduing Chechnya. Seeing as we’ve had 5 helos shot down in Iraq in the past month, we might be in for the same thing.

My original critique of the Commander in Chief is still valid. On the surface, he displays a love of the troops. But his softness of heart toward the enemy betrays a lack of love toward the troops.

PRCalDude on February 16, 2007 at 7:11 PM

OK, we’ll agree to disagree, just a bit then. I do want less restrictive ROE. I felt too constrained sometimes myself.

They had no problems subduing Chechnya.

Try to find a Maikop Brigade survivor or a parent in Beslan to tell that to…

If you want to carpet bomb entire cities, ala Grozny…me, not so much.

major john on February 16, 2007 at 9:07 PM

Allah, it’s always great to see our guys on the tube even if they have to appear with Geraldo. But I hold the same low opinion of Geraldo as you, I think hiring him was the one major mistake FNC has made since they hit the airways…

Zorro on February 16, 2007 at 9:27 PM