Video: The Salt Lake City mall rampage

posted at 7:12 pm on February 15, 2007 by Allahpundit

Cell phone video, but it’s the audio we care about. The Freepers have been sniffing around for signs of jihad ever since it was revealed that the killer was Muslim. A few of them think they’ve found it here. Skip ahead to 1:25; you’ll hear two gunshots at 1:28, followed by a few seconds of cops shouting and then, at 1:39, what some claim sounds like “Allahu Akbar” three times. For all I know it’s Bosnian profanity, but judge for yourself.

Update: The FBI said today it has no evidence of a “political” motive.

Update: Tanya thinks it’s a cop shouting “come on up,” which would make sense given how close the voice sounds and the proximity of the cops to the cell phone.

Update: Charles Johnson e-mails to say he’d bet his life that it’s not “Allahu Akbar.”

Comments

Um…..

I don’t want to say it, but at FIRST listening, that’s what it sounds like.

Mortis on February 15, 2007 at 7:25 PM

Sound like it to me also.

Egfrow on February 15, 2007 at 7:26 PM

A Muslim allegedly behaving violently? Does Brit Hume know about this?

But seriously, that’s some really sketchy audio. The 1:39 shouting could be one of the cops. I just listened to the thing five times, and I have no idea what that outburst is. “Allahu Akbar” might be a little too good to be true…

Enrique on February 15, 2007 at 7:30 PM

I tend to believe we have another case of Sudden Jihad Syndrome… another “lone gunman” (like Naveed Haq, etc.) However I don’t know if we’re hearing “allahuakbar”. Maybe “Moqtada! Moqtada! Moqtada!”? (j/k obviously)

RightWinged on February 15, 2007 at 7:36 PM

Unintelligible to me.

SpartRan on February 15, 2007 at 7:36 PM

Sounds like it. It sure as hell wasn’t English.

Iblis on February 15, 2007 at 7:47 PM

I don’t care if he was shouting “Can you hear me now?” Should we call this a “hate crime” if his victims had something in common, such as maybe their faith?

doufree on February 15, 2007 at 7:49 PM

I ripped the audio and ran it through some filters. It’s very clear: “Obama da Man! Obama da Man!”

RedWinged Blackbird on February 15, 2007 at 7:50 PM

I will be skeptical of a Muslim gunman’s motives not being jihad when a Mormon goes Rambo in a mall in Salt Lake city.

Neo on February 15, 2007 at 7:50 PM

Sounds like it to me.

EnochCain on February 15, 2007 at 7:52 PM

It sounded like allahu akbar, but that’s what I was listening for. I kinda wish we weren’t told what to listen for, though.

Jsut another disgruntled youth, I’m sure. ;)

lorien1973 on February 15, 2007 at 7:52 PM

I have found that LE downplays any incidents anymore. Had a situation where all of a sudden squads and a helipcopter converged on the park next to my child’s school, was told kids at the scene that they heard “drop the weapon” from amplified sources. Official statement : off-leash dog. Plus I was told by the dispatcher that the principal over-reacted wern he put the school in immediate lockdown as soon as the copter showed up.
Where in the playbook does it say to keep the citizens in the dark about these sorts of things?

bbz123 on February 15, 2007 at 7:54 PM

Doesn’t sound like it, though what the heck is OB OB all about.

Ripclawe on February 15, 2007 at 7:56 PM

Mormon goes Rambo

That’s a pleasantly amusing five syllables. Seriously, say it out loud a few times and try not to smile.

But again, after listening to it even more, I can’t tell what’s being said. I’m pretty sure if AP had written this post saying “Here’s the Utah mall shooting cell video – can anyone figure out what the yelling at 1:39 is?” then we’d all have been like “No idea, sorry.” Only if after planting the seed of “Allahu Akbar” does it sound like “Allahu Akbar,” you know?

Or maybe it is “Allahu Akbar.” I mean, really, what the hell do I know?

Enrique on February 15, 2007 at 7:57 PM

It sounded like it to me too, but like lorien1973 said, it’s what i was listening for.

forged rite on February 15, 2007 at 7:59 PM

RWBB nailed it!!

Obama da man!!

I dunno’. I agree with Lorien. Should have not mentioned what some “think” they heard. Now that is EXACTLY what people will try to hear from the disgruntled yute.

Try playing the audio backwards. Maybe he says something about satan and ozzie.

Talon on February 15, 2007 at 8:00 PM

I repeated it several times. It’s possible to hear allahu, but not with akbar. It was more like allahu-ah. Not enough syllables.

thedecider on February 15, 2007 at 8:00 PM

Uhh, it sounded like it to me…

NTWR on February 15, 2007 at 8:00 PM

The first word sounds very close to “allah”. Can’t make out the second word.

Queasy on February 15, 2007 at 8:02 PM

Sounded like the same voice said a few seconds later “put em up put em up” or something similar. I heard nothing definitive either way with all that mall echo.

HerrMorgenholz on February 15, 2007 at 8:04 PM

It sounds more like than not like “Allahu Akbar”.
IF so, it’s amazing that a gunshot interrupts the third one and that a couple of American flags appear bottom-frame at the same instant.

Stephen M on February 15, 2007 at 8:06 PM

Just aking:
Being Bosnian, why would he use an Arabic expression like “Allah aqbar”
Wouldn’t he say “God is great” in whatever language Bosnians use? ( Bosnia doesn’t use Arabic)

billy on February 15, 2007 at 8:07 PM

Just aking:
Being Bosnian, why would he use an Arabic expression like “Allah aqbar”

billy on February 15, 2007 at 8:07 PM

I have heard English speaking Muslims using Arabic words throughout their speech when talking religion etc.

EnochCain on February 15, 2007 at 8:13 PM

I don’t know…I can’t make out what’s being said, but it sounds more like one of the cops than the jihadi. (oops…did I give away my bias?)

flipflop on February 15, 2007 at 8:14 PM

I was one of the ones saying that it must be post-traumatic stress disorder, after the massacres he must’ve seen as a kid. But that sure does sound like allahu akbar.

Devil’s advocate: If I had completely lost my mind and found myself shooting at people in the mall, and likely to die within seconds, I might very well yell “Jesus Christ!” Some commenters here, in that situation, might even pray. No one would call us radical xtians. But whatever.

[On the other hand, the off-duty hero cop said he was suddenly facing on-duty cops and trying not to get shot. It doesn't sound exactly like "I'm a cop, I'm a cop" - but it could be him yelling something.]

Tanya on February 15, 2007 at 8:15 PM

billy, just a surmise, but it was “The Prophet’s” wish that the Koran never be written in any language but Arabic.
Islam is an Arabic religion.

Sounded like “Allah Akbar” to me, too, BTW.

Jen the Neocon on February 15, 2007 at 8:16 PM

It is unintelligible as to whether or not they are saying allahu akbar. But day-um. That video is awesome. Everybody is a reporter with today’s technology.

rslancer14 on February 15, 2007 at 8:17 PM

[On the other hand, the off-duty hero cop said he was suddenly facing on-duty cops and trying not to get shot. It doesn’t sound exactly like “I’m a cop, I’m a cop” - but it could be him yelling something.]

I think it’s more likely we’re hearing a cop’s voice. It’s as loud and clear as any other on the tape, but we can see from the video that the cops are right out in front of the store at some points. How would the suspect have gotten that close to make his voice that clear if they were there?

Allahpundit on February 15, 2007 at 8:19 PM

That video is awesome. Everybody is a reporter with today’s technology.

Bingo! Journalism is now the domain of the masses. The MSM is deep doodoo.

RedWinged Blackbird on February 15, 2007 at 8:23 PM

I don’t know, I thought he said “wheres the snack bar” :)

Capitalist Infidel on February 15, 2007 at 8:27 PM

You know, I just listened to it without watching the time, so I wasn’t anticipating it, and it sounded like “C’mon up! c’mon up! c’mon up!” And then there’s a shot, and then “There he is. I need you to move in. C’mon up. C’mon up.”

Tanya on February 15, 2007 at 8:33 PM

The difference between a conservative, moderate, and liberal Muslim explained here.

billy on February 15, 2007 at 8:37 PM

Just aking:
Being Bosnian, why would he use an Arabic expression like “Allah aqbar”

billy on February 15, 2007 at 8:07 PM

Arabic is to Islam currently what Latin used to be to Christianity. Even though most of the Christians couldn’t speak Latin, the scriptures and services were still held in Latin. In fact, I recently learned that the first man to translate the Bible to English from Latin was burned at the stake for having demeaned the scriptures by putting them in a base, common language.

In Islam, translations of the Koran are not considered to be on the same level as the Koran in Arabic.

It is entirely possible that a Bosnian would yell an Arabic phrase if he was yelling a religious phrase.

Having said all that, it doesn’t sound to me as if the yelling says “Allahu akbar”…..

Also, the voice sounds very authoritative. While I wouldn’t rule out a jihadi on a crime spree being able to speak with authority….it just sounds too trained. I’m guessing the voice is from one of the cops.

JadeNYU on February 15, 2007 at 8:41 PM

I have no tactical experience at all, but I wonder if those were tactical commands by the police. What I heard at 1:39 was “Come on up!” 3 times. At 1:43 – “Hurry up! Move it(?) right. Come on up! Move it up! At 1:55 “Come to me!” twice.
Ripclawe, I couldn’t figure out the “OB” either.

But I always thought that tactical signals were given by hand. Any tactical folks out there?

eeyore on February 15, 2007 at 8:44 PM

This is going to be on Hannity & Colmes shortly.

db on February 15, 2007 at 9:03 PM

eeyore,

I was a trained infantryman, not a police officer, but I’m sure it would be the same in this case.

Hand signals are entirely appropriate, but only if you’re close to the person you’re giving the signal to, if you’re line of site, etc.

Otherwise, shouting or talking is the usual way to give orders.

The whole point behind hand signals is they are silent so you can use them before the engagement begins (or during if it’s really really loud), on patrol or, in a police setting, while sneaking up on a location and getting in position.

Once 100 rounds have been fired off, silence begins to lose its advantages.

Christoph on February 15, 2007 at 9:10 PM

Sounds like “come on up” , no chance of allah akbar.

With that said, Mr. Spencer spells out quite well the possible Salt Lake Jihad factor. Lone jihadis have training and the internet and who knows what?

take a peek.

shooter on February 15, 2007 at 9:21 PM

Kinda sounds like B. Hussein Obama too.

The Killer had a long LONG history of picking on girls and sounds like he could have seriously hurt them had he not been stopped. No doubt he was muslim from Bosnia, but we gotta know what else was wrong or even if that’s related, but this has to be stopped… somehow.

shooter on February 15, 2007 at 9:28 PM

for entertainment purposes let’s just say he said, “Allahu Akbar!”

Opinionnation on February 15, 2007 at 9:32 PM

I’m slightly embarrassed and disappointed in my “side” and how it’s reacted to this story. While the gripe that the media tends to hide the fact that someone is Muslim in a news story is a fair one (and it does seem to happen), folks really seem to be trying to ram this story into some sort of template that fits their agenda. Really, people, there’s nothing jihad related about this. The kid was hardly the devout Muslim, having been born into the religion and only going to religious services every once in a while. So stop desperately connecting dots that aren’t there, and recognize there is nothing to this story that would lead an objective person to that conclusion. Sadly, this is exactly what the left does all day long.

Patriot33 on February 15, 2007 at 9:39 PM

Trust me, I am an expert from SWAG Scientific, and we have concluded that he very clearly says “I hate gay people” over and over.

faraway on February 15, 2007 at 9:39 PM

More importantly:
1. Was his body shaved?
2. Did he leave a martyrs video?

faraway on February 15, 2007 at 9:45 PM

I don’t care if he yelled hare krishna. The victims are still dead at the hands of an immigrant muslim POS. The end result is jihad enough for me. I don’t split hairs with mohammidans. Btw, the 1991 Lubys cafeteria shooting rampage in Killeen Tx prompted me to become proficient with firearms. (civilian). I wasn’t there. That day. Arm up people. And be vigilant.

Buck Turgidson on February 15, 2007 at 9:46 PM

Someone told me the way to end this is to burn down the 5 mosques closest to each terror attack.

Of course, I would never condone such a thing.

faraway on February 15, 2007 at 9:49 PM

Sounds like he’s saying “Allahpundit” to me. Or maybe “please pass the ketchup.” I can’t tell.

Hack Ptui on February 15, 2007 at 9:58 PM

but this has to be stopped… somehow.
shooter on February 15, 2007 at 9:28 PM

Two words. Concealed carry.

91Veteran on February 15, 2007 at 10:04 PM

Admiral Akbar?

Is he a Star Wars geek?

Mortis on February 15, 2007 at 10:09 PM

It’s still amazing at how the MSM and the liberal left is ignoring all of this. There is virtually NOTHING about it on the DU. Course, they were all talk when they “thought” it was some good old boy with daddies gun shooting up a mall, but they zipped up their lying mouths when the news came out it involved Islam somehow.

Liberals really are the enemy of the America our Founding Fathers believed in. There is no mistaking that.

NRA4Freedom on February 15, 2007 at 10:22 PM

Why did the boneheaded Salt Lake City Police decide not to seize and search this Muslim terrorist’s computer? Hello . . .?

Debbie Schlussel on February 15, 2007 at 10:23 PM

No way is that allahu akbar. That’s clearly the same cop voice yelling other stuff.

bamapachyderm on February 15, 2007 at 10:24 PM

OK, explain all the school shootings that aren’t done by Muslims then?

Look, I’m as far from a Muslim apologist as it gets, but in this case, with this particular scenario, I’m not convinced it’s jihad. I’d want to know some more about the imam at the mosque he attended, for one thing. And I am shocked that the SLPD wouldn’t take the computer–the computers were taken after Columbine, after all, and nobody thought it was about jihad in their case. Aren’t they interested in finding out WHY this kid did this, even if it has nothing to do with Islam?

bamapachyderm on February 15, 2007 at 10:41 PM

Opie Opie? ..just making sure

RobertCSampson on February 15, 2007 at 10:42 PM

If the voice isn’t saying “come on up”, it is saying “coming up.”

Both of these are consistent with CQB.

Come on up would be a command for someone to move up or forward obveously.

“Coming up” would be used by the moving element to let other friendlies know that they were moving and to avoid surprising them. Basically it is to avoid friendly fire.

But it isn’t Allahu Akbar. It doesn’t sound like that at all. It seems to be said too quickly too.

EFG on February 15, 2007 at 10:44 PM

I don’t hear it.

Glynn on February 15, 2007 at 10:50 PM

The gunman appeared to the front and left of the camera operator since the policeman at the start of the video is to the front and left of the camera operator. The gunman may have even been around the corner.

Sorry, I hear “Come on up”, followed shortly by other policemen “coming up” from the right, to the officer that was already to the left of the camera.

Also, I suspect the “OB”, “OB” may have been “OD, OD”, or off-duty. It is being said as the other officers are “coming up”.

91Veteran on February 15, 2007 at 10:54 PM

A muslim shoots 9 Americans and it’s not jihad because he doesn’t yell allah akbar? Next thing you’re going to tell me is Jamil Hussien is a real person because someone else uses it as a pseudonym.

Buck Turgidson on February 15, 2007 at 11:08 PM

I would like to point out that if any of us is ever in this position do NOT take out your cell phone camer and hold it up to start filming Officers risking their lives in a gun fight!!!!!!!

If any of those officers had seen that idiot peeking over the counter with his cell phone pointed at them….well….I wouldn’t blame the cops for putting one between his eyes.

What a jackass.

At the 2:36 this idiot says, “What the ffff…..what’s going on”….as he continues to peek over the counter pointing his cell phone camera around.

What an idiot.

I never heard “Allah Akbar” either.

angryamerican on February 15, 2007 at 11:20 PM

Debbie Schlussel on February 15, 2007 at 10:23 PM

This is really disturbing to me. I can’t understand why they would not delve into his personal life – which would include seizure of his computer. They seize computers for lesser crimes than this! I don’t know – perhaps they feel they have so much information on this guy that looking at his computer is pointless? However, what about co-conspirators? What about people he may have been in contact with who are planning the SAME THING? This sort of nonsense really makes me crazy.

By the way Debbie – great pic of you on your website.

thedecider on February 15, 2007 at 11:48 PM

angryamerican on February 15, 2007 at 11:20 PM

Good point on holding cell phones up to cops. Not a smart idea.

thedecider on February 15, 2007 at 11:49 PM

angryamerican on February 15, 2007 at 11:20 PM

Good point on holding cell phones up to cops. Not a smart idea.

thedecider on February 15, 2007 at 11:49 PM

I am not a cop but I would think if you shoot someone who was holding a cell phone you might not should have ever been a cop.

EnochCain on February 15, 2007 at 11:52 PM

It’s probably wise to not rush to judgment on this.

But since most Jihadists are young Muslim males, it’s foolish to rule out the very distict possibility that this particular young Muslim male a lone Jihadist. Especially since he fits the profile and MO of other similar Jihadists. And this scenario is a widely publicised tactic that Islamic Terrorists teach.

However, profiling anyone who is not a white conservative American male is wrong. {/s}

Lawrence on February 16, 2007 at 12:43 AM

EnochCain,

Wow….in that situation someone is pointing an object at you, that could be construed as a hand gun, bullets are flying, the cops have gone by dead bodies with blood spattered on the walls,
and YOU would want to second guess a cop for killing the idiot who pointing an object at cops during a gun battle???

Also, during the gun battle, this idiot is moving around the shop trying to get a better “angle” of the cops by walking around the shop pointing an object at them just to get video??

You would second guess a cop in that situation?

Really?

angryamerican on February 16, 2007 at 12:45 AM

Same here. I can count the number of random school shootings over the past years on one hand. But counting random Jihadi suicide attacks by young Muslim males runs into the tens of thousands.

Lawrence on February 16, 2007 at 12:53 AM

Update: The FBI said today it has no evidence of a “political” motive.

Note to FBI: It doesn’t have to be political for it to be Jihad.

Lawrence on February 16, 2007 at 12:56 AM

angryamerican on February 16, 2007 at 12:45 AM

All I am saying is that cops are trained to make split second decisions on who they are to shoot and who they are not to shoot.

EnochCain on February 16, 2007 at 1:09 AM

EnochCain on February 16, 2007 at 1:09 AM

That’s my point.

Don’t hold up an object and point it at a cop, during a gun battle with dead victims all over the damn place when a cop wants to come home to his family, also.

It IS a split second decision. That’s why you should not point an object at a cop when he is fighting for his own life and he is surrounded by dead bodies.

I would give a cop a break in that situation for crying out loud.

angryamerican on February 16, 2007 at 1:30 AM

Wow, you guys are still trying to force this story into your little template. Sheesh, pick better spots. Let me know when you get a shred of evidence–besides him being a Muslim–that this was a jihadist act. My gosh my side is becoming more unhinged everyday.

Patriot33 on February 16, 2007 at 1:48 AM

Patriot33 on February 16, 2007 at 1:48 AM

I never said he was a jihadist…I just gave my opinion on what I thought I heard….I could be wrong….if anything the MSM is going out of their way to hide anything that may suggest he was a jihadist….Muslim or not though he was still a terrorist.

EnochCain on February 16, 2007 at 2:06 AM

it’s clearly said at 14 seconds

uptight on February 16, 2007 at 4:05 AM

I watched it 5 times now and I clearly hear “come on up, come on up” and definately close to the camera.

Now, those who think it was jihad, go ahead and think what you want.
I am no Muslim apologist. I have nothing against people that live peaceful lives. I don’t care what your religious affiliation is. To each his own.
For the record, I am a Christian Protestant. I lived in the Utah, Wyoming, Idaho areas for several years. Now, this is nothing against Mormons, BUT, if you ARE NOT Mormon, and you live in SLC, you are treated as an outsider, whether you are born and raised there or not. I know because I LIVED it. If you apply for a job, an apartment lease, or whatever in the state of Utah, you are asked what your religion is. There are two options.: LDS (Latter Day Saint) and Other__________.

Maybe this is just a f**cked up kid like many of the young school shooters we’ve had in this country the past several years. Maybe he was mentally ill. Maybe he was tired of the way people treated him. Maybe…..maybe,maybe.
There could be a thousand possibilities as to why he did what he did. Nobody knows at this point and speculating is foolish.

Not every Muslim that does something wacky is a Jihadist. Some are just crazy like the cat lady across the street.

Bottom line: Tap the brakes on the whole Allahu Akbar crap. That is not what was heard on this tape.

Let the investigation play itself out. When we KNOW all of the FACTS, then form your opinions.

Rant off

RobG on February 16, 2007 at 12:03 PM

CAREFUL FOLKS:

What a jackass.
What an idiot.
I never heard “Allah Akbar” either.
angryamerican on February 15, 2007 at 11:20 PM

You’ll be the one looking like a jackass. This guy is a photographer, with a DIGITAL VIDEO camera in side a WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER STORE where he works.

Look again at post of Debbie S. link above – More info IS coming in and it looks like another lone jihadist to me.

According to my friends on the SWAT team who responded to the scene first, the terrorist killed four individuals inside a gift shop Jihad execution style. He actually made them kneel down. Then he put the gun barrel to the back of their heads and killed each one of them one by one.

I think our government is too afraid of the dumb public not knowing what to do with this info and of course, retaliation.
But keeping it secret isn’t help to stop innocent people being murdered, jihadist style, across the country.
Like it or not, IT IS WHAT IT IS.

shooter on February 16, 2007 at 1:38 PM

Any other guy, we’d be hearing all about his collection of Death Metal, his Hitler books, his violent video games, his insane rantings on various websites, etc etc etc.

Let’s see, we know that jihadis worldwide use the internet to communicate, but we wouldn’t want to follow up on that idea, would we?

Lehuster on February 16, 2007 at 2:36 PM

That’s nonsense about Utah RobG, especially SLC. That city is fairly liberal, very diverse, and its own mayor is a Mormon apostate who is about as liberal as they come. Hardly the picture you painted in your post.

Patriot33 on February 16, 2007 at 2:43 PM

come on up

95% sure.

Mark Jaquith on February 16, 2007 at 3:05 PM

EnochCain on February 15, 2007 at 11:52 PM

Don’t put it to the test.

“Come on up” – command for rearward support to advance
“Coming up” – acknowledging said command and advancing

On the question about hand singals, those have little use once lead is flying; everyone knows where everyone else is, just shout your commands to be certain there is no mistake. Especially true if you are reasonably sure you are dealing with a lone assailant.

I agree with 91veteran, it is probably “OD” being called out, identifying an off-duty officer with weapon drawn.

Isn’t it amazing how quickly the MSM got over this story of 9 murders? About like the shooting of 6 at a Jewish community center. I wonder what the two might have in common?

Freelancer on February 17, 2007 at 12:30 AM

I want a Clark bar…”?

Maybe he was a distressed diabetic?

Why we go and liberate foreign countries and then accept their dregs are “refugess” makes no sense.

Same with Iraq.

Let them stay home and fix their own damn messes.

And not bring their madnesses here.

profitsbeard on February 17, 2007 at 11:32 AM

What a jackass.
What an idiot.
I never heard “Allah Akbar” either.
angryamerican on February 15, 2007 at 11:20 PM

Like it or not, IT IS WHAT IT IS.

shooter on February 16, 2007 at 1:38 PM

The Mall Shooter went INSIDE a GIFT SHOP in the mall and killed people execution style?

The video taker “is a photographer, with a DIGITAL VIDEO camera in side a WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER STORE where he works” INSIDE a GIFT SHOP in the same Mall where the Muslim was shooting people exection style!!

Well holy sh*t Shirlock. Hand held “digital video camera’s can also be construed as a hand gun when pointed at a cop in the middle of a chaotic rampage.

People were killed by the gunman in Gift Shops right?
The gun man was in Gift Shops killing people right?

This wedding photographer is pointing a digital camera at cops, moving around the store to get a better angle right?

He’s lucky he didn’t get a bullet between the eyes.

I do believe this kid commited a “jihad” type rampage, because of Radical Islam teaching or influece. I just didn’t hear “allah akbar” in this idiots video.

angryamerican on February 18, 2007 at 1:17 AM

EnochCain on February 15, 2007 at 11:52 PM
Don’t put it to the test.

“Come on up” – command for rearward support to advance
“Coming up” – acknowledging said command and advancing

Freelancer on February 17, 2007 at 12:30 AM
Good post.

Thanks for the video Freelancer.

Cops are also aware of this fact and the idiot taking video is lucky he wasn’t killed.

angryamerican on February 18, 2007 at 1:20 AM