San Fran committee OKs “anti-militarism” comic book for public high schools

posted at 2:35 pm on February 15, 2007 by Allahpundit

You can see the whole landscape of this debate before it even starts. Our side will attack the school board for being anti-military; the left will counter that they’re not anti-military, they’re anti-militarism; we’ll note that there are, perhaps, more “nuanced” ways of expressing anti-militarism than with drawings of Ronald Reagan hugging Osama Bin Laden; they’ll answer that we don’t seem to have a problem with rogue school boards when they’re pushing an anti-evolution agenda; we’ll respond that if they’re comfortable with “alternative histories” in this case, they should be comfortable with alternative histories involving creationism; they’ll point to the Establishment Clause; we’ll declare it a basic civic duty not to teach kids contempt for their own country; they’ll call us racists and stomp off to their computers to write some pretty vicious rants and important action alerts; and that’ll be that.

Click the image and check out the video report in the sidebar — but only after you’ve clicked here first. I want you to know what they mean by “anti-militarism” before you watch.

schoolbook.jpg

Update: More.

The current publisher, Frank Dorrel, came across the book in 1999. “This is the best thing I’ve ever read,” the Air Force veteran told the Guardian. “I’ve got a whole library of US foreign policy, but this puts it all together in such an easy format. Howard Zinn, Noam Chomsky, Michael Parenti — they’re all [authors of] great books, but they aren’t easy reads.”

Comments

I’m shocked, shocked that this will be in SF high schools-not

Catie96706 on February 15, 2007 at 2:41 PM

This is insane.

Esthier on February 15, 2007 at 2:42 PM

About the author: “Joel Andreas began following his parents to demonstrations against the Vietnam War while in elementary school in Detroit. He has been a political activist ever since, working to promote racial equality and worker’s rights inside the United States and to stop U.S. military intervention abroad.”

This is simply political activism in the wrong place, schools. Take it elsewhere. Every US soldier, airman, marine and sailor should file suit against the school board of SF for defamation and slander. Class action.

darwin on February 15, 2007 at 2:46 PM

Ten dollars a piece. $156.00 for a case of 56 comic books. Who exactly is profiteering from war? Federal dollars should in no way be used to purchase this propaganda. Total disgrace.

infidel on February 15, 2007 at 2:48 PM

and this is surprising HOW?

Defector01 on February 15, 2007 at 2:53 PM

Political activism has become a very lucrative business. Ask Cindy Sheehan and Medea Benjamin. Why work when you can cavort around the globe condemning your own country? Or sit home and draw comic books?

darwin on February 15, 2007 at 2:54 PM

Since we no longer use Vieques Island for Naval Gunfire and Missile targetting, can we use SF?

TugboatPhil on February 15, 2007 at 3:00 PM

Palomino!

see-dubya on February 15, 2007 at 3:02 PM

I no longer consider San Fran Sicko part of the USA.

It is the Anti-America.

Those people are the enemy.

It’s that simple.

Parley on February 15, 2007 at 3:03 PM

Just wait till the gay cartoon book comes out.

Huh, comes out…., it’s already outted in SanFran…!?!

Kini on February 15, 2007 at 3:04 PM

This is insane!! Need to put prayer and the Pledge of Allegience back in school! Parents have to start taking a stand and keep a close eye on what is being taught to thier children. I was known as a troublemaker because I took an active interest in what was taught to my children. I went nose to nose with a principal for making my daughter cry and she was only doing what I told her to do.

ChrisIansNana on February 15, 2007 at 3:07 PM

Can the Mayor be reached at the rehab center for comment?

JammieWearingFool on February 15, 2007 at 3:07 PM

Woo hoo!! Thank you San Francisco! Fleet week’s coming to San Diego. Another shot in the arm for San Diego’s economy. We love you Frisco.

Theworldisnotenough on February 15, 2007 at 3:07 PM

Time to withdraw any and all federal school funding. The citizens of SF can pick up the whole tab. I don’t pay taxes to support propaganda in PUBLIC schools.

darwin on February 15, 2007 at 3:11 PM

$10 for a black & white comic book? That’s obscene.

Queasy on February 15, 2007 at 3:15 PM

“Alternative Histories”

The type of histories that deny reality like there was never a holocaust, how mankind never went to the moon or that 9/11 was a case of controlled demolition?

This is not education it’s simple indoctrination presented by bitter and simplistic reactionary people who cannot debate or argue their claim(s) from the position of facts and reason, so must use emotion and misinformation. Targeting children and young adults with this type of nonsense is inexcusable.

Gene Splicer on February 15, 2007 at 3:18 PM

I no longer consider San Fran Sicko part of the USA.
It is the Anti-America.
Those people are the enemy.
It’s that simple.
Parley on February 15, 2007 at 3:03 PM

That’s okay. SF will be the new capital of AZTECLAN anyhow soon enough.

Gene Splicer on February 15, 2007 at 3:21 PM

I just returned from Barnes & Noble with the wife. I was looking for some interesting history to read.

One book in the WWII history section was displayed cover out….just one. All the others were the usualy binding out.
What was the book? ‘The Myth of Pearl Harbor’.

I took the book to the customer service counter and told them that they needed to keep the fiction books out of the history section.

O’bama’s tripe was on the front table just as you walk in.
Ali’s new book I had to ask where it was displayed. In the back under current events.

Limerick on February 15, 2007 at 3:28 PM

Stalin would have been proud.

And just where do you think “the seeds” that are planted in the young minds of the kids that read this propaganda will lead?

Another generation taught to “Hate Amercia!”

Home grown terrorism………… just wait.

PinkyBigglesworth on February 15, 2007 at 3:29 PM

That needs repeating…

“Time to withdraw any and all federal school funding”

NRA4Freedom on February 15, 2007 at 3:32 PM

I’ve heard that there is tension between SF Mayor Gavin Newsome and the SF school board. I’ve heard that he doesn’t like them much because they tend to do things like this that really make SF look bad in the eyes of the nation.

Apparently he was publicly opposed to the school board voting to kick JROTC off of the schools. But since he doesn’t actually control them, they blew him off and voted to phase out the program. Which he said made SF look like it was full of kooks and discouraged people from living in SF, which already has a reputation for not being family friendly. (the number of children in SF is very low per capita)

Money quote:

S.F. Mayor Gavin Newsom also is unhappy. He has seen enrollment in the district drop — with more than 1,000 fewer students attending San Francisco public schools this year than last year. “You think this is going to help keep families in San Francisco?” Newsom said of the vote. “No, it’s going to hurt.”

Now I’m not trying to pump up Gavin as SF’s own little Rudy Guilliani. All I’m doing is showing is a little crack in the left wing political machine.

So I suppose we could all send letters of protest to a local school board who won’t give damn, and will actually only draw strength from our attempt to squelch their brave dissent.

Or we could send letters of protest to a mayor who doesn’t actually have political control over the school board that has publically flipped him the bird in the past. And said mayor is mired in his own sex scandal and is now in alcohol rehab because of it.

Ahhh, who am I kidding? This is the bay area and nothin’ is going to stop this. San Francisco State University is moving forward to kick the Student Republican club off of campus for stepping on a Hamas and Hezbollah flag so this is all proceeding according to plan…

EFG on February 15, 2007 at 3:33 PM

Come back, General Sherman. Got a job for you.

dhimwit on February 15, 2007 at 3:34 PM

“Tens of thousands of Iraqis disappeared in Iraqi prisons run by the US military.”

Really? Isn’t this libel? In the classical, sue-able kind?
Or perhaps they are missing one word –
Tens of thousands of Iraqis disppeared in Iraqi prisons until run by the US military.”

naliaka on February 15, 2007 at 3:34 PM

Come back, General Sherman. Got a job for you.

dhimwit on February 15, 2007 at 3:34 PM

probably much closer to happening then many think.

Limerick on February 15, 2007 at 3:37 PM

‘Give me four years to teach the children and the seed I have sown will never be uprooted. ‘ – LENIN

Limerick on February 15, 2007 at 3:41 PM

Pinky…I would like to place an order for two dozen of your Barf Buckets.

RushBaby on February 15, 2007 at 3:43 PM

I was going to say something, but Limerick beat anything else that could be said

– The Cat

MirCat on February 15, 2007 at 3:47 PM

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

jman on February 15, 2007 at 3:49 PM

Still too mad to speak….

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

jman on February 15, 2007 at 3:49 PM

Ok

Count to 10.

Breathe.

grrrrr…

jman on February 15, 2007 at 3:51 PM

Leave it to Andreas to find fault in California.

mymanpotsandpans on February 15, 2007 at 3:53 PM

Many peaceniks may be familiar with the 77-page comic book that was originally conceived in 1991 to highlight the real story behind the Gulf War.

Real Story? It’s simple; Hussein invaded a sovereign power in a naked land-grab; we went in and (with the help of allies) kicked his ass out.

dalewalt on February 15, 2007 at 4:03 PM

Okay, you have to admit… the idea of dumbing down Chomsky is pretty freakin hilarious. Is it even possible??

Laura on February 15, 2007 at 4:15 PM

Interesting how they just happened to leave out the Clinton years.

Rick on February 15, 2007 at 4:23 PM

Hey, check out the chapter 6 preview. There’s a cameo appearance pictured on a billboard. Guess who? Its not Waldo.

BohicaTwentyTwo on February 15, 2007 at 4:30 PM

I’m a little more nauseated by making bin Laden a sympathetic character.

That picture almost looks like something they would suggest to be on a new San Fransisco dollar bill.

Ferris on February 15, 2007 at 4:32 PM

I thought it was interesting that the comic book only portrayed white people. Virtually all white males. It isn’t just anti-military/it’s anti-America in a racial hidden message sorta way. Or I’m just looking way too much into it.

Free Constitution on February 15, 2007 at 4:45 PM

Free Constitution on February 15, 2007 at 4:45 PM

No, you are on the right track. Read Ch. 1 (more specifically, bottom right).

Rick on February 15, 2007 at 4:48 PM

Check out chapter 7, the news media war cheerleaders – “When it comes to war, the networks discard all pretenses of objectivity.”

ABC – check
NBC – check
Fox – check
CNN – check

Where’s CBS?

rw on February 15, 2007 at 4:53 PM

Where’s CBS?

rw on February 15, 2007 at 4:53 PM

The other networks sent Katie Couric out to fetch more Kool-aid. Dan Rather commented that the lack of media objectivity regarding support for foreign wars is almost certainly fake, but accurate.

CyberCipher on February 15, 2007 at 5:00 PM

The cognitve dissonance is going to be absolutely off the scale if terrorists ever bomb San Fran. Hippies that don’t get hurt initially will volunteer to blow themselves up out of envy.

mesablue on February 15, 2007 at 5:02 PM

mesablue on February 15, 2007 at 5:02 PM

They won’t skip a beat. It would just be seen as further evidence of BushCo crimes.

EFG on February 15, 2007 at 5:04 PM

Geez, it might be interesting to hear what that San Francisco style ex gay F. Rottles take is on these comic books.

there it is on February 15, 2007 at 5:15 PM

Pardon my French, but these people are assholes. I can’t think of any other word that best describes them.

GT on February 15, 2007 at 5:27 PM

darwin on February 15, 2007 at 3:11 PM

And it IS propaganda. Big time. AND there’s an awful lot of mentioning of G-O-D for a public school publication dontcha think? Oh wait, it’s not that G-O-D so it’s ok I guess.

NTWR on February 15, 2007 at 5:35 PM

Can we secede from CA (except OC), most of New England and NYC?

Tim Burton on February 15, 2007 at 5:40 PM

On the bright side, families are leaving SF in droves, there won;t be many kids left ot indoctrinate.

bbz123 on February 15, 2007 at 5:51 PM

I use to think Karl Rove had a master plan to beat these people, but I don’t think that anymore.

Halley on February 15, 2007 at 5:53 PM

… the Air Force veteran told the Guardian. “I’ve got a whole library of US foreign policy, but this puts it all together in such an easy format. Howard Zinn, Noam Chomsky, Michael Parenti — they’re all [authors of] great books, but they aren’t easy reads.”

What friggin’ Air Force was this guy in? Surely not the same one I was in I hope.

darwin on February 15, 2007 at 6:22 PM

FYI: When bin Laden was talking about 80 years of Islamic peoples suffering and/or the great wrong done to Islam 80 years ago, he was N)T referring to any actions by the United States.
Instead he was talking about Kernal Attaturk doing away with the Ottoman Caliphate and instituting the modern Turkish State.
So how many peaople ass-u-me the jihadists acted/are acting in retaliation against American wrongdoing. Too many, damnit.

Oilpatcher on February 15, 2007 at 8:45 PM

San Francisco is a lost city. If I lived there I would be doing all I could to get out.

Maxx on February 15, 2007 at 8:52 PM

How is it that teaching intelligent design is unconstitutional but teaching hate of the American military is perfectly acceptable?

Phil Byler on February 15, 2007 at 9:07 PM

This isn’t teaching students opposing views. It’s indoctrinating lies. No wonder student enrollment per capita is low. I wouldn’t raise my children or grandchildren there. In fact, I would NEVER think of going there.

oakpack on February 15, 2007 at 10:49 PM

Oilpatcher on February 15, 2007 at 8:45 PM

Oh, snap. Why let something as petty as actual history get in the way of a good bit of programming?

Why don’t you pass the time with a game of solitaire?

Mibrilane on February 15, 2007 at 11:35 PM

Pinky…I would like to place an order for two dozen of your Barf Buckets.

RushBaby on February 15, 2007 at 3:43 PM

Sorry RushBaby, my phones have been wringing off the hook, re-supplies are back ordered.

New models will have Al Gore’s face with his hair on fire.

That should stir up the bile.

Love to be a Capitalist…..

PinkyBigglesworth on February 16, 2007 at 12:57 AM

Uh…I just clicked on the link and read a comic that seeks to justify the attack on 9/11.

Have we no shame?

budorob on February 16, 2007 at 9:19 AM

Thank G_d Nancy Pelosi is only 2 impeachments heartbeats away from being the Commander in Chief.

LakeRuins on February 16, 2007 at 10:42 AM

Can’t wait for their comic book take on the Islamofascist beheadings of Danny Pearl and Nick Berg.

The first, for trusting a Muslim, in specific, and the second for trusting Muslims, in general.

But I think the “global warming” comic will be coming sooner. (Penguins shielding themselves from the intense UV rays with burqas donated by nice Saui princes, no doubt.)

Replacing the now-politically-inconvenient “global cooling” comics they made up back in the late 1970’s …when the “scientists” were warning of “The New Ice Age!“…

Poisoning the wellsprings of being” as the philospher called.

Feeding vipers’ milk to your children. And expecting anything but nihilistic serpents in return.

profitsbeard on February 16, 2007 at 12:18 PM

Oh great, and we’re (SWA) gonna start flyin’ there soon. That’s one overnite I will avoid at all costs.

I predict S.F. will be renamed the islamic republic of Sanfranistan and will become another Kabul which the U.S. Navy will shell from the Pacific.

Tony737 on February 16, 2007 at 1:00 PM

$10 for a black & white comic book? That’s obscene.

Queasy on February 15, 2007 at 3:15 PM

As a fan of comic books in general, that’s one of the first things I noticed. The content is terrible enough but the price alone makes it prohibitive.

Yakko77 on February 16, 2007 at 1:27 PM

It doesn’t surprise me that this ‘comic book’ (and I thought comic book’s were suppose to be funny, hence the prefix ‘comic’) is being promoted and distributed in SF schools.

All the earthquakes the region has experienced over several decades have addled the brains of SF’s school board members, teachers, and parents. Repeated exposure to vibrations, like an earthquake, leads to extensive neural trauma and the school administrators and parents of these poor kids grew up in an earthquake zone.

I wonder if most of the people of SF would qualify for restorative brain surgery, I. E. Full Frontal Lobotomies?

RedinBlueCounty on February 16, 2007 at 1:31 PM

What about the way SF tortures the rest of the country with their idiotic blibber blabber??

JackM on February 16, 2007 at 3:01 PM

The silver lining is that most of the kids won’t be able to read it anyway, even after all the trouble they went through to make it a comic instead of an actual textbook.

(but don’t we dare question their patriotism)

Radish on February 16, 2007 at 5:48 PM