Murtha and the Democrats: A new low

posted at 12:25 pm on February 14, 2007 by Bryan

Disgusting.

Top House Democrats, working in concert with anti-war groups, have decided against using congressional power to force a quick end to U.S. involvement in Iraq, and instead will pursue a slow-bleed strategy designed to gradually limit the administration’s options.

If they do what they’re apparently planning to do, “slow bleed” will be a very apt description. Those doing the bleeding, slowly, will be US troops.

Led by Rep. John P. Murtha, D-Pa., and supported by several well-funded anti-war groups, the coalition’s goal is to limit or sharply reduce the number of U.S. troops available for the Iraq conflict, rather than to openly cut off funding for the war itself.

This is the strategy of a corrupt, dishonorable man. Yes, I realize I’m talking about a former Marine. I’m also talking about the unindicted co-conspirator of Abscam. I’m talking about the coot who thinks we can fight a war in Iraq from Okinawa. I’m talking about a man who is a tool for various subversive anti-war groups.

And who are these well-funded groups with whom Murtha is working? Are they International ANSWER, the Stalinist hardliners who have been patiently building the anti-war movement since 9-12-01? That’s a question Murtha must answer. Who besides the blame-America-first Win Without War Coalition is he working with?

As described by participants, the goal is crafted to circumvent the biggest political vulnerability of the anti-war movement — the accusation that it is willing to abandon troops in the field. That fear is why many Democrats have remained timid in challenging Bush, even as public support for the president and his Iraq policies have plunged.

As I said, dishonorable. If you oppose the war and truly want us out of Iraq, put your own name on the line and move to cut funding. Put your name on your policy. If, as Barack Obama said, you think we’re wasting lives in this war, then the honorable thing to do is to stop that waste immediately. Put your name on your policy as well as its outcome. Not conduct a “slow bleed” strategy that is the political equivalent of the strategy that the terrorists and insurgents have themselves deployed on the ground. We have truly reached a new low in this country when the Speaker of the House and her favorite henchman are running a strategy that will definitely get American troops killed for a war they lack the courage to stop in their own names.

Here’s how Murtha’s Terrorist Assistance Program will work:

Murtha, the powerful chairman of the defense subcommittee of the House Appropriations Committee, will seek to attach a provision to an upcoming $93 billion supplemental spending bill for Iraq and Afghanistan. It would restrict the deployment of troops to Iraq unless they meet certain levels adequate manpower, equipment and training to succeed in combat. That’s a standard Murtha believes few of the units Bush intends to use for the surge would be able to meet.

In addition, Murtha, acting with the backing of the House Democratic leadership, will seek to limit the time and number of deployments by soldiers, Marines and National Guard units to Iraq, making it tougher for Pentagon officials to find the troops to replace units that are scheduled to rotate out of the country. Additional funding restrictions are also being considered by Murtha, such as prohibiting the creation of U.S. military bases inside Iraq, dismantling the notorious Abu Ghraib prison and closing the American detention facility in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

“There’s a D-Day coming in here, and it’s going to start with the supplemental and finish with the ’08 [defense] budget,” said Rep. Neil Abercrombie, D-Hawaii, who chairs the Air and Land Forces subcommittee of the House Armed Services Committee.

D-Day…what a name to toss out there. D-Day was an open frontal assault against an entrenched enemy that deserved destruction. Here, a Democrat is deploying a D-Day analogy against a sitting president that the Democrats have been undermining since he took office, even during war. What a disgrace.

Pelosi and other top Democrats are not yet prepared for an open battle with the White House over ending funding for the war

Because they are dishonorable cowards.

and they are wary of Republican claims that Democratic leaders would endanger the welfare of U.S. troops.

Like making it impossible to deploy enough troops to win the war?

What a disgrace. It seems that Democrats like Murtha fear the surge in Iraq just as much as Mookie al-Sadr does, and for the same reason: It might work. And like Mookie, the Democrats will engage in sneak attacks designed to destroy the country’s warfighting capability. Words fail me in expressing my outrage at this Murtha-Pelosi strategy. It’s the end game for people whose care for the troops only extends to having enough troops to chauffeur them around the country. Their slow bleed strategy means American defeat if it succeeds, and they know it. That’s the whole point of it.

(h/t Instapundit, who calls the strategy “surrender without responsibility.” That should be the Democrats’ new motto.)

Update (AP): Eleven Republicans have signed on to the slow bleed.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

this will be a very powerful weapon to use against the democrats in 08

Defector01 on February 14, 2007 at 12:36 PM

But don’t question their patriotism.

RedWinged Blackbird on February 14, 2007 at 12:38 PM

I don’t want to offend anybody, but reading this post has raised questions about Murtha’s patriotism, in my view. It truly appears that the Democrats who claim to be opposed to the war have no qualms with letting troops die in a cause that they themselves believe to be misguided and unjust. Further, some Democrats also really seem to be, perhaps unintentionally, giving aid and comfort to Islamic supremacist militias.

Gosh, you know, I’m really sorry about this. You might just want to delete this post in which I questioned the patriotism of a former Marine. I am so ashamed of myself.

Enrique on February 14, 2007 at 12:39 PM

Remember, they’re not anti-war, they’re on the other side.

God speed to you, General Petraeus, you’re going to need to pacify Baghdad even faster than we thought.

Dudley Smith on February 14, 2007 at 12:48 PM

Disgusting? That was my same reaction.

JammieWearingFool on February 14, 2007 at 12:50 PM

If the Republicans want another $0.10, they should start using this quote in a national ad campaign starting today.

That, and securing the border………..

PinkyBigglesworth on February 14, 2007 at 12:50 PM

It might be time for a Honest Abe Lincoln moment and forcibly remove Murtha from office, and the menehune Neil Abercrombie, D-Hawaii, as well.

Kini on February 14, 2007 at 12:50 PM

This is reprehensible, even for the Democrats.

flipflop on February 14, 2007 at 12:50 PM

It is horrible to watch somebody with the onset of Alzheimers. It will slowly steal his memories and all brain functions. Unfortunately he has been in congress for so long that it will be awhile before he forgets he is a congressman and only remembers he was once a marine. By then I fear it will be too late.
May g_d grant his family the peace ans strength to survive the ordeal.

LakeRuins on February 14, 2007 at 12:53 PM

check out this repulsive bulls**t.

jummy on February 14, 2007 at 12:53 PM

It’s only a matter of time until Al Qaeda and Al Zahawiri publicly approve of Murtha’s plan.

fogw on February 14, 2007 at 12:54 PM

Seditious Traitors.

NRA4Freedom on February 14, 2007 at 12:56 PM

As a former Marine, the only thing I disagree with in your post is you’re referring to Murtha as a former Marine. He is an ex-Marine.

The Democrats need to be confronted on this in detail. I would strongly suggest that no one allows this to be pushed under the rug.A suggestion would be Michelle using some of her air time on O’Reilly, and I would also suggest that she uses your above analysis — it hits the nail on the head. I will follow this story very closely. If it is allowed to pass, and worse yet to be implemented, then we are well and truly finished.

tomk59 on February 14, 2007 at 12:57 PM

As one decorated Vietnam Vet to another…john murtha…you are a scum bag…a traitor…a defeatist…not to mention a moron…

You murthascum will never be part of my ‘Band of Brothers’…

areseaoh on February 14, 2007 at 12:58 PM

As I said earlier, if we had a president with balls these dems would be lunch meat by now.

Labamigo on February 14, 2007 at 1:05 PM

filibuster is in order for every step in this cowardly offensive.

jummy on February 14, 2007 at 1:05 PM

To my fellow Pennsylvanians, specifically all of the braindead Democrats in the 12th Congresional District who re-elected this incompetent buffoon:

THANKS A BUNCH!

You should all be ashamed. I hope you don’t have any sons or daughters serving in Iraq. Your elected representative is bound and determined to do them harm.

Like you Bryan, I am really PO’d.

fogw on February 14, 2007 at 1:06 PM

clearly doesn’t represent the interests of the military, or of the Iraqis.

Fellow military members, please sign the Appeal at AppealForCourage.org

LT Nichols
MNF-I, Baghdad

Jason on February 14, 2007 at 1:06 PM

i am very angry about this.

jummy on February 14, 2007 at 1:06 PM

And for any one who comes on this site defending Murtha and co.’s right to” dissent”, let me make it clear where I stand personally. Yes, I question Murtha’s patriotism. I also question his sanity, integrity, character — you name it, I question it. I also question all of the above to any gutless scum bag who hides in the shadows and joins him on this act of treason, whether they be Republican or Democrat. Enough is enough. It is past time that this type of garbage is confronted and cut off at the knees.

tomk59 on February 14, 2007 at 1:12 PM

clearly doesn’t represent the interests of the military, or of the Iraqis.

Fellow military members, please sign the Appeal at AppealForCourage.org

LT Nichols
MNF-I, Baghdad

Jason on February 14, 2007 at 1:06 PM

i’ve added the banner link for your website to my blog.

jummy on February 14, 2007 at 1:12 PM

My fears of the Democrats winning in ’06 were not sufficiently alarmist. They are even worse than a sane person could possibly imagine. Murtha should be dropped off in the Red Zone and let him fend for himself.

pistolero on February 14, 2007 at 1:22 PM

I signed the letter. I’m still IRR.

So as a Civialian outside the UCMJ… I can sayyyyy….

Jack Murtha. A prime example that, even in the USMC, slime can seep through the cracks.

Ringmaster on February 14, 2007 at 1:26 PM

Lt. Nichols; since I am no longer active military or in the reserves, it appears that I cannot sign your petition. However, be assured that I will pass the word of it. I thank you for your service, and for your courage.

Isn’t it a shame that our so-called leadership in Washington, cannot muster anywhere near the same courage, even though personal political fortunes, and not their very lives, are all that they have at stake? They are not fit to shine your boots.

tomk59 on February 14, 2007 at 1:29 PM

what they really think:

I knew in that moment that this was what the future of teaching about justice would include: teaching war criminals who sit glaring at me with hatred for daring to speak the truth of their atrocities and who, if paid to, would disappear, torture and kill me. I wondered that night how long I really have in this so called “free” country to teach my students and to be with my children and grandchildren.

Many of the classes that I teach now include students who “served” in the US military and security corporations. There are also many students who intend to join the US military upon completion of a degree because with the degree they get a bigger “sign on” bonus of ten to fifty thousand dollars.

jummy on February 14, 2007 at 1:31 PM

clearly doesn’t represent the interests of the military, or of the Iraqis.

Fellow military members, please sign the Appeal at AppealForCourage.org

LT Nichols
MNF-I, Baghdad

Jason on February 14, 2007 at 1:06 PM

SALUTE!!!

Signed…

USN Ret.

Romeo13 on February 14, 2007 at 1:36 PM

tomk59 on February 14, 2007 at 1:12 PM

Exactly right…we should all keep drawing attention to this until the Democrats are forced to explain it publicly.

Michelle should definitely twist O’Reilly’s arm and make sure he covers it.

Chad on February 14, 2007 at 1:38 PM

Maybe Murtha can team up with the terrorists to help reduce troop levels in Iraq.

frankj on February 14, 2007 at 1:39 PM

Disgusting. Imagine what our country could accomplish if the Democrats worked even half as hard to defeat the terrorists as they do to defeat our own troops.

ReubenJCogburn on February 14, 2007 at 1:39 PM

Murtha’s an idiot, how does he not understand that the more Troops we have, the safer they are? The less Troops we have, the more danger they’re in!

And he wants to close Gitmo? He should be friggin’ SENT to Gitmo! Traitor!

Tony737 on February 14, 2007 at 1:40 PM

Rueben shoots … HE SCOOOOORESSSSS!!!

Tony737 on February 14, 2007 at 1:44 PM

I like it here at HA so I wont say something I could regret.

infidel on February 14, 2007 at 1:46 PM

Pennsylvania hello? Anyone there? Too busy watching American Idol? Hello? Are you proud of this man? No? Well you can always replace him. Just sayin.

Limerick on February 14, 2007 at 1:47 PM

Many of the posters here are missing the point … because they’re thinking like decent, rational human beings.

You’ve got to think like a leftist … rather EMOTE like a leftist … in order to understand.

Here it is: Anything which promotes the leftist agenda … anything which pains or defeats evil right-wingers … is patriotic. In fact … it’s the essence of patriotism to trash and/or eliminate all right-wing thought and/or all right-wingers.

So … trying to appeal to leftists on the basis of patriotism is a fool’s errand. They’re convinced that their actions are the very embodiment of patriotism. All arguments to the contrary … are a complete waste of time.

Lisa Condo on February 14, 2007 at 1:56 PM

It is all our fault (Republican/Conservatives). We have let our opponents march, protest, and riot with no response for a decade.

It seems to me we are reluctant to press the Democrats on their core cynical attitude.

While we have decided frustration with Maliki, some Sunni’s, and some Shia’s – what exactly are the Democrat’s saying?

“F**K the Iraqi’s” that is what they are saying. And if chaos in Iraq is a threat to the US – “F**K the US”.

How can they reconcile their core attitude with their supposed support for human rights and suffering of the poor and oppressed around the world and at home?

If the US under this president does more to fight AIDS in Africa – “F**K Africa”. If the US under this president has the power to help the people in Dafur – “F**K Dafur”.

Now if we can just get them making such a statement on tape. It would not be that revealing but would clear the air about their real attitudes toward those pathetic retches around the world that they have failed to help.

Agrippa2k on February 14, 2007 at 1:58 PM

You murthascum will never be part of my ‘Band of Brothers’…

areseaoh on February 14, 2007 at 12:58 PM

I wholeheartly agree with your take on MMurtha………he has let power overtake his train of thought if he ever had one to begin with.

bones47 on February 14, 2007 at 2:00 PM

Close Gitmo – put all the detainees in Pennsylvania’s 12th Congressional District. Let that ex-marine handle them.

News2Use on February 14, 2007 at 2:00 PM

Bryan — We refer to murtha as an EX Marine. Feel free to do so yourself.

He backstabbed fellow Marines, and was the forst to call us babykillers in the media.

– SSgt, USMC-R

Mazztek on February 14, 2007 at 2:07 PM

John Murtha is a decorated former member of our armed services who honorably served his country.

So was Benedict Arnold.

wiserbud on February 14, 2007 at 2:08 PM

What’s sad here is that the only news is that there is a specific failure plan… but the Dems have been attempting this “slow bleed” since mid/late 2003 when they decided it would be good politics for them if the war became unpopular. As I’ve repeatedly explaind, we’re only in the situation we’re in because of the Democrats and the media’s constant undermining and doing running the “divide and conquer” campaign for the enemy (against us).

So these Democrats have been trying to make us lose since a few months in, Murtha just seems to have leaked the plans going forward for them/the enemy.

RightWinged on February 14, 2007 at 2:13 PM

Surrender without responsibility is nothing new for the left. It was born during Vietnam and has flourished since. You would be hard pressed to find a leftist who will discuss what happened in Vietnam after we left, the millions of deaths. They also will not address that after Tet, the north vietnamese were defeated, but the antiwar movement in the United States gave them hope that the tide of public sentiment would turn against the United States. They were right. But it also prolonged the war, some estimating that 20,000 troop deaths can be attributed to that prolongation. But the left never talks about that either. Cowards. Sickening cowards.

Glynn on February 14, 2007 at 2:13 PM

hmm, it occurs to me that this might be one point at which the Right and the fanatical “Bush Lied Kids Died” moonbats could ally, no? I mean, this is beyond just being a looney Leftist… this is rank, rank partisan shadow dealing with people’s lives. It has nothing to do with the War and everything to do with power.

Surely the moonbats who are serious about ending war “now” like Michael “Jabba” Moore are angry about a “slow-bleed”? But perhaps I’m assuming too many actors in this scenario are principled in their opposition to the war.

Lehosh on February 14, 2007 at 2:16 PM

Being a Marine does not exclude ANYONE from being corrupt and dishonorable. Murtha is both corrupt and dishonorable.

Murtha, I served with Marines. I know Marines. Marines are friends of mine. Murtha , you’re no Marine

Wade on February 14, 2007 at 2:24 PM

Charles Joseph Whitman
Lee Harvey Oswald
Jack Murtha

At least Whitman had a brain tumor as an excuse.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on February 14, 2007 at 2:32 PM

It’s times like these I want to pull a John Matuszak in North Dallas Forty: grab Murtha by his shoulders, shake him, and scream in his face “Chickensh*t C*cksuckers! You’re all a bunch of Chickensh*t C*cksuckers!”

Dudley Smith on February 14, 2007 at 2:39 PM

I’d say exactly what I think about Murtha and describe him in terms that he is deserving of, but you’d just have to delete it.

Heck, I’m not sure that I’d want to print it on my OWN site, and that’s saying something.

Misha I on February 14, 2007 at 2:39 PM

Agrippa2k on February 14, 2007 at 1:58 PM

Not necessarily…. You can have thousands of Pro-Bush, Pro-War against Terriosim, Pro-American march and protest, and three Anti-Bush, Anti-War, Anti-American people standing on the street corner, and what makes the news………. the three idiots standing on the street corner.

Same thing with the Democrats and Republicans. When the Republicans were in charge, they had daily and weekly press conferences explaining thier legislation policies and victories, but what did we always hear? The Democrat response and propoganda, but now that the Democrats are in power, what do we see? The Democrat’s propoganda.

John Murtha is a perfect example of this. How much air time is the opposition getting? How many “Situation Room”, “Today” shows, “Evening News” broadcast hours will be spent pontificating over a policy of failure is actually a policy for victory?

John Murtha, the Democrats, and the media hate President Bush so much, that they are willing to cause the defeat of the United States, and cause the lives of brave soldiers, just for their political agenda. THAT, is truly disgusting.

PinkyBigglesworth on February 14, 2007 at 2:59 PM

But don’t question their patriotism.

RedWinged Blackbird on February 14, 2007 at 12:38 PM

But maybe it time to demand some proof.

Gwillie on February 14, 2007 at 3:02 PM

I guess people drunk in their quest for power are just about willing to do what ever it takes in their quest. Hecks what’s a few more Soldiers/Marines lives, its for the greater good of the country democrats.

SPIFF1669 on February 14, 2007 at 3:20 PM

Murtha is the perfect mouthpiece for those who pay his bills and keep him elected. Why are we surprised what spews from his lips?

Lawrence on February 14, 2007 at 3:24 PM

Thought long and hard before I would say this… but…

Actively working to limit our military in a time of war. Ensuring that there is no way to win.

Isn’t that TREASON?

This isn’t saying pull out… this is tieing the hands of the Commander in Chief so he CAN’T win….

Romeo13 on February 14, 2007 at 4:01 PM

He already has…

Wade on February 14, 2007 at 4:10 PM

Enrique on February 14, 2007 at 12:39 PM

Dude, not many on this board know you – therefore, they take you for a conservative, and not for a sarcastic liberal who might be sipping something… Watch out – you might be absorbed, before it’s too late.

Entelechy on February 14, 2007 at 4:11 PM

Well you get what you pay for. For all those idiots that either stayed home or voted Democratic to “send a message” I hope you’re enjoying the result.

These people are so invested in our defeat that nothing will sway them at this point. Politically, they can’t afford to let the US win. That might swing the 08 election and put the Republicans back in control and as far as most of them are concerned that would be worse than winning the war.

duff65 on February 14, 2007 at 4:24 PM

(To be read in the voice of James Earl Jones)

John Murtha.

You ignorant fool.

You can not fathom the forces with which you trifle.

The laws of man are but a castle of impregnable stone built on a foundation of shifting sand.

You would risk the unleashing a torrent of innocent blood, the likes of which threatens even your own foundations…. for what?

Your petty games?

FOOL.

Your name shall either be forgotten as are the names of most fools, or cursed for all of time.

Jones Zemkophill on February 14, 2007 at 4:26 PM

So was Benedict Arnold.

wiserbud on February 14, 2007 at 2:08 PM

And John Kerry(D), Charlie Rangel(D), Chuck Hagel(RINO), as a start. Who else come to mind?

Lawrence on February 14, 2007 at 4:26 PM

Murtha was a Marine? Takes all kinds; we produced Oswald and Lonetree, too.

htom on February 14, 2007 at 4:48 PM

I know a few Marines who would like to have a few words with the Congressman and remind him of what it means to be a Marine.

GT on February 14, 2007 at 4:50 PM

Peloser and the WORTHLESS ONE, murtha. ”

It would restrict the deployment of troops to Iraq unless they meet certain levels adequate manpower, equipment and training to succeed in combat.”

( by WHOSE description?) They will back door the control if they cant be POTUS- Commander in Chief.

As far as him being a past marine? Benedict Arnold also served America first. Treasonous? Its getting there.

They will seek to limit the time and number of deployments , take away the funding, close Gitmo, beat dead dog abugraib again…
All their cheap shot weak ass BullSh*t all rolled into an egofest that will harm our country and get GOOD PEOPLE killed, our forces. And it does aid the enemy.

D-DAY? How dare you Abercrombie, D-Hawaii, you lowlife scum.

Thx Bryan, I’m too pissed to stand it….damn, another TV gone to the rocks.

My exit question. HOW can they justify this? Are they that confused? or that arrogantly upset? Someone tell it to me like I’m a three year old, cause I don’t get it.

shooter on February 14, 2007 at 4:55 PM

one of the across-oceans eleven says:

“If you find out you’re going the wrong way down the interstate, you do not keep going — you get off at the next exit,” Rep. John Duncan, R-Tennessee,

Hey donut man, they are NOT on a frickin family vacation.

shooter on February 14, 2007 at 4:59 PM

How can they expect a law like this to pass the courts? It states that it will limit troops deployment based on the number of troops being deployed. That’s a catch-22.

Congress doesn’t have authority to decide what troops can be deployed to which area and what number may be involved. Only the President has that authority. All Congress can do is revoke the money to pay for this war or restrict ALL military involvement in that area as they did in SE Asia.

And don’t let that “succeed in combat” clause fool you, no one can tell whether any combat will succeed or fail until that combat is over. A war is not one long combat, it’s hundreds of smaller ones. Murtha, an ex marine, knows this.

RedinBlueCounty on February 14, 2007 at 5:01 PM

I am so sickened by this. What can be done to stop this disgusting travesty of treason? Any suggestions outside of contacting our congressmen?

Suzy-Q on February 14, 2007 at 5:02 PM

clearly doesn’t represent the interests of the military, or of the Iraqis.

Fellow military members, please sign the Appeal at AppealForCourage.org

LT Nichols
MNF-I, Baghdad

Done.

Spurius Ligustinus on February 14, 2007 at 5:03 PM

The only question is where the bottom is, but I think Murtha’s downward trajectory is pretty much established.

God what a piece of sh!t he is.

thirteen28 on February 14, 2007 at 5:04 PM

Suzy-Q on February 14, 2007 at 5:02 PM

Americans have the most powerful tool at their disposal to stop the left and the MSM in their tracks but we are too yellow to use it. Our pocketbooks. We want 12 networks. We want 100million dollar movies. We want American Idol. We want to have everything NOW. We want cherry/granola yogurt.
Who cares if they donate to CAIR, or Greenpeace, or the Murtha campaign? Who cares? They give us what we want, we give them what they want. Bread & Circus, the oldest game in the book.

Limerick on February 14, 2007 at 5:12 PM

Seditious Traitors.

NRA4Freedom on February 14, 2007 at 12:56 PM

Exactly. I would add, yellow swine. I think Mr. Murtha is the same type of Marine as Sgt. Lonetree. Traitor.

Zorro on February 14, 2007 at 5:17 PM

The only thing I can think is that the far left has totally taken over the minds of the everyday normal Americans who only listen to what they hear, and the only thing they hear from most of the Media out there is “its Bush and his war that is killing America and we are loosing, so lets get out.” I only wish Americans could hear what is said HERE at this great blog! It is to bad HotAir does not have its own news channel.
Other than that I am left speechless. I truly fear for the future of this world if and when the Dems are successful in bringing down this great nation we call the United States of America.
Yes jummy that vid link you posted is very repulsive!

abinitioadinfinitum on February 14, 2007 at 5:21 PM

Limerick – thank you for your response. I want to fight them. I want to kick their butts. I want to expose them. I do care if they donate to CAIR, etc. Can’t we get the GOP or someone of that nature to counter these TV ads that they are claiming they’re going to use? Who should we contact?

Suzy-Q on February 14, 2007 at 5:24 PM

Still digging.

Press release

“… Chairman Murtha will describe his strategy for not only limiting the deployment of troops to Iraq but undermining other aspects of the president’s foreign and national security policy. …”

Since when was this a power granted to Congress?

htom on February 14, 2007 at 5:31 PM

Let’s do something real simple. It will be the hardest thing you have ever done. Pick one network….just one….CBS,NBC,ABC,CNN…..and BLOCK IT. Never watch anything on that channel. If you see a website with a story about that network or someone on it don’t click. It really is that simple. We all don’t have to choose the same network. Can you imagine what the advertisers would think if suddenly 1/4th of their viewing audience disappeared?
Pressure only comes from the wallet. When BMW’s start ending up on repo tow-trucks things will start to change.

Yeah, yeah yeah Lim….right…like I’m gonna do without my CSI. Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Limerick on February 14, 2007 at 5:37 PM

I predict Bush will do exactly what Clinton did with the fiscal 1996 budget: veto them **all** if he does not get what he wants from the defense appropriation.

MSM in 1996 “Gingrich and the Republicans shut down the government!”

MSM in 2007 “Bush shut down the government!”

Inevitable.

Anil Petra on February 14, 2007 at 5:53 PM

Well, if Murtha was confident that he knows the level of support needed for more troops to “succeed in combat”, then, he should be pushing for that with the determination of a Marine — rather than being a useful idiot and planning for a slow bleed of those troops who will go into combat under-supported.

But he doesn’t know the level. He’d raise it, on paper, if it meant he could help ensure failure. And failure in this case is measured in the blood of US citizen-troops.

* * *

Bryan: please consider deleting the vield violent threat in comment at February 14, 2007 at 1:21 PM.

F. Rottles on February 14, 2007 at 6:17 PM

Enrique on February 14, 2007 at 12:39 PM

No need to be.

I am fully, openly and publicly questioning this morons patriotism, along with any democrat who supports this plan. He and his democrat allies have no qualms about soldiers slowly bleeding, which they surely will if this plan is carried out.

Use any analogy you want. Half a clip of ammunition, half a tank of gas, half a combat load, 50 soldiers instead of 100 on the perimeter, a 400 bed hospital instead of an 800 bed hospital.

Something has to give somewhere.

Any of this traitors actions if carried out will mean the same thing.

Yes, I said traitor. They are directly undermining soldiers deployed in a combat zone with this action. Their other option is to step up and put their name to legislation removing funding.

Taking this action is political in an attempt to fool the American public, and is downright cowardly!

He has become such a disgrace.

91Veteran on February 14, 2007 at 6:23 PM

As a former Marine myself, I can assure you that there are many Marines in this current conflict that wish Murtha had joined any organization other than the USMC. The really sad part is that he knows from his VietNam experience, the effect this is all having on the troops, and he seems to care less.

Chief1942 on February 14, 2007 at 6:33 PM

So we propose to drive the wrong way slower. So we’re circumspectly riding the second or third notch of the emergency brake; because actually trying to stop the car or turn around would show our convictions. We don’t want to try to do the right thing, just stop you from what you’re doing. And we don’t want to get caught doing it…

So, whose analogy fits the “slow bleed” better?

I think mine does, but it certainly sounds like a squirrely passive-agressive thing to do on a road trip. Which makes it a pretty good analogy all around, right?

gekkobear on February 14, 2007 at 6:35 PM

President Bush may think he is being diplomatic in saying that the Democrats have a right to protest and pass these kind of resolutions. But President Bush has been too nice. We do start questioning the patriotism of Democrats because they are not being patriotic. They are underming the troops, and it has to be said that bluntly. If that causes Hilary Clinton to sart shreaking that she is sick and tired blah blah blah, then so much the better. She comes across as what she is — a self obsessed, self centered Democrat who cares more about her “right” to say whatever she thinks is in her political interests than what effect it has on the men and women serving the nation in harm’s way.

Phil Byler on February 14, 2007 at 6:47 PM

D

The sheep that are the American population did this because the MSM told them to. Next, they will elect Hillary.

JustTruth101 on February 14, 2007 at 6:50 PM

Fellow military members, please sign the Appeal at AppealForCourage.org

LT Nichols
MNF-I, Baghdad

Done, drive on L.T…

CPT T.
OIF 1 and OIF 3
101st ABN

BadBrad on February 14, 2007 at 6:59 PM

Eleven Republicans have signed on to the slow bleed.

This sounds like par for the course, for a b/fing nitwit that would sponsor the “Freedom Fries” stupidity.

Jaibones on February 14, 2007 at 7:32 PM

“But don’t question their patriotism.”

BULL!

Not only should we damn well QUESTION it, we should publicly expose them as the traitors they are.

Murtha needs to be called “traitor” on every show on Fox. This plan needs to be publicly exposed. The anti-war groups involved need to be identified and their treasonous leadership sanctioned.

georgej on February 14, 2007 at 7:55 PM