Murtha and the Democrats: A new low

posted at 12:25 pm on February 14, 2007 by Bryan

Disgusting.

Top House Democrats, working in concert with anti-war groups, have decided against using congressional power to force a quick end to U.S. involvement in Iraq, and instead will pursue a slow-bleed strategy designed to gradually limit the administration’s options.

If they do what they’re apparently planning to do, “slow bleed” will be a very apt description. Those doing the bleeding, slowly, will be US troops.

Led by Rep. John P. Murtha, D-Pa., and supported by several well-funded anti-war groups, the coalition’s goal is to limit or sharply reduce the number of U.S. troops available for the Iraq conflict, rather than to openly cut off funding for the war itself.

This is the strategy of a corrupt, dishonorable man. Yes, I realize I’m talking about a former Marine. I’m also talking about the unindicted co-conspirator of Abscam. I’m talking about the coot who thinks we can fight a war in Iraq from Okinawa. I’m talking about a man who is a tool for various subversive anti-war groups.

And who are these well-funded groups with whom Murtha is working? Are they International ANSWER, the Stalinist hardliners who have been patiently building the anti-war movement since 9-12-01? That’s a question Murtha must answer. Who besides the blame-America-first Win Without War Coalition is he working with?

As described by participants, the goal is crafted to circumvent the biggest political vulnerability of the anti-war movement — the accusation that it is willing to abandon troops in the field. That fear is why many Democrats have remained timid in challenging Bush, even as public support for the president and his Iraq policies have plunged.

As I said, dishonorable. If you oppose the war and truly want us out of Iraq, put your own name on the line and move to cut funding. Put your name on your policy. If, as Barack Obama said, you think we’re wasting lives in this war, then the honorable thing to do is to stop that waste immediately. Put your name on your policy as well as its outcome. Not conduct a “slow bleed” strategy that is the political equivalent of the strategy that the terrorists and insurgents have themselves deployed on the ground. We have truly reached a new low in this country when the Speaker of the House and her favorite henchman are running a strategy that will definitely get American troops killed for a war they lack the courage to stop in their own names.

Here’s how Murtha’s Terrorist Assistance Program will work:

Murtha, the powerful chairman of the defense subcommittee of the House Appropriations Committee, will seek to attach a provision to an upcoming $93 billion supplemental spending bill for Iraq and Afghanistan. It would restrict the deployment of troops to Iraq unless they meet certain levels adequate manpower, equipment and training to succeed in combat. That’s a standard Murtha believes few of the units Bush intends to use for the surge would be able to meet.

In addition, Murtha, acting with the backing of the House Democratic leadership, will seek to limit the time and number of deployments by soldiers, Marines and National Guard units to Iraq, making it tougher for Pentagon officials to find the troops to replace units that are scheduled to rotate out of the country. Additional funding restrictions are also being considered by Murtha, such as prohibiting the creation of U.S. military bases inside Iraq, dismantling the notorious Abu Ghraib prison and closing the American detention facility in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

“There’s a D-Day coming in here, and it’s going to start with the supplemental and finish with the ’08 [defense] budget,” said Rep. Neil Abercrombie, D-Hawaii, who chairs the Air and Land Forces subcommittee of the House Armed Services Committee.

D-Day…what a name to toss out there. D-Day was an open frontal assault against an entrenched enemy that deserved destruction. Here, a Democrat is deploying a D-Day analogy against a sitting president that the Democrats have been undermining since he took office, even during war. What a disgrace.

Pelosi and other top Democrats are not yet prepared for an open battle with the White House over ending funding for the war

Because they are dishonorable cowards.

and they are wary of Republican claims that Democratic leaders would endanger the welfare of U.S. troops.

Like making it impossible to deploy enough troops to win the war?

What a disgrace. It seems that Democrats like Murtha fear the surge in Iraq just as much as Mookie al-Sadr does, and for the same reason: It might work. And like Mookie, the Democrats will engage in sneak attacks designed to destroy the country’s warfighting capability. Words fail me in expressing my outrage at this Murtha-Pelosi strategy. It’s the end game for people whose care for the troops only extends to having enough troops to chauffeur them around the country. Their slow bleed strategy means American defeat if it succeeds, and they know it. That’s the whole point of it.

(h/t Instapundit, who calls the strategy “surrender without responsibility.” That should be the Democrats’ new motto.)

Update (AP): Eleven Republicans have signed on to the slow bleed.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Those doing the bleeding, slowly, will be US troops.

That’s exactly what crossed my mind when I read this earlier today. I had to walk away from the computer as I seriously felt like my head was going to explode.

They don’t even have the guts to do this honestly, they want to play both sides of the fence – and they’re doing it on my husbands back.

I find it even more offensive that this is lead by an EX Marine, and I mean EX.. he may have served this country at one time, but at this point, he’s gambling with blood – he has no honor, he no longer deserves that title.

A few years ago I considered myself an Independent, my beliefs fall on both sides of the aisle, and I had never in my life voted a straight party ticket.

But right now I feel a white hot anger and time has done nothing to dissipate it.

They will never, as long as I live, receive a vote of any kind from me..and that goes for any Republican candidate who plays this strategy as well.

When the Caucus rolls around, and the candidates start showing up in my local coffee shop, you can be damned sure they will hear from me, in public, loud and clear.

They don’t have the b#**@ to risk votes, but have no problem playing politics while our military risks their lives.

This time, they’ve gone too far.

Screw them.

Tink on February 14, 2007 at 8:50 PM

I know a few Marines who would like to have a few words with the Congressman and remind him of what it means to be a Marine.
GT on February 14, 2007 at 4:50 PM

He’s like Sheehan. Cluelessly pi$$in all over the uniform that many honorable men and women wore, and are wearing.

91Veteran on February 14, 2007 at 8:59 PM

much like in rome … the politicians are selling out the people they’re supposed to represent, and much like in germany propaganda rolling like a flood trumps truth.

We are in serious trouble here.

One Angry Christian on February 14, 2007 at 9:04 PM

Let’s do something real simple. It will be the hardest thing you have ever done. Pick one network….just one….

I already blocked MSNBC. I’ve missed NOTHING.

Mazztek on February 14, 2007 at 9:06 PM

John Murtha sickens and disgusts me. On a side note this country lost one of the few remaining true conservatives this week in Georgia’s Charlie Norwood. Please keep this great representative and his family in your thoughts and prayers!

dawgyear on February 14, 2007 at 9:24 PM

If I were to say how I really feel about this matter, management would have to ban me. So, I’ll just give the version that’s at 1% strength.

Murtha, no words can express how despicable your actions are. If you realize that you’re playing with a lot of brave people’s lives and you’re still advocating this slow bleed, your heart is harder than a mass murderer’s. If you are too ignorant to see such implications, the people of your districct still really should think twice about whether such ignorance is truly representative of themselves.

flutejpl on February 14, 2007 at 9:27 PM

What can be done to stop this disgusting travesty of treason? Any suggestions outside of contacting our congressmen?

Yes. But not in this forum.

Misha I on February 14, 2007 at 9:31 PM

Once again our little liberal bloggers on this site are silent.

This is the party that you support, this is what a democrat is. You never blog when something like this is posted. You run and hide, cut and run…that is your party.

How American that must make you feel. You can hide behind Pelosi’s and Murtha’s skirt.

right2bright on February 14, 2007 at 9:41 PM

These people are so courageous in their actions, they’ve decided to try hide their true intentions.

The Press Release has been changed.

One other question, from the Press Release before it was cleansed, “Chairman Murtha will describe his strategy for not only limiting the deployment of troops to Iraq but undermining other aspects of the president’s foreign and national security policy.”,

what other aspects of the presidents foreign and national security policy are they seeking to undermine?

91Veteran on February 14, 2007 at 10:02 PM

These people make me sick. I can’t even describe how angry this makes me. Seditious traitors indeed. These people are not on our side. The blatant and deliberate politicization of this war is a national disgrace.

CP on February 14, 2007 at 10:04 PM

I am encouraged by the commentary here today and tonight.

We have to get angry enough and determined enough to pick up the phone and send out the emails that will send an unmistakeable message to those who supposedly lead us.

I’m sick of the unpunished sedition and the traitors openly working against us going unchallenged.

We need to start naming the guity and systematically exposing them.

techno_barbarian on February 14, 2007 at 10:32 PM

…naming the guilty and systematically exposing them.

pimf

techno_barbarian on February 14, 2007 at 10:35 PM

Murtha and the Democrats: A new low

What? They’ve started to dig?

thedecider on February 14, 2007 at 11:38 PM

. . .if we had a president with balls these dems would be lunch meat by now.

It’s Guliani time! I was reading the Evans-Novak report (linked from Drudgereport) and he had this to say about Guliani.

The questions surrounding Rudy are first, whether enough conservatives can be sold on a pro-choice, pro-gun control candidate, and second, whether his meanness and his tumultuous personal life are too much for any presidential candidate to overcome.

Did somebody meanness? We have a president without a mean bone in his body, and what we need is a junkyard dog. That’s why I’m in for Guliani; when people mess with him politically, he just kicks butt and takes names.

smellthecoffee on February 14, 2007 at 11:47 PM

Oops. “Did somebody say meanness?

smellthecoffee on February 14, 2007 at 11:49 PM

For the longest time we’ve heard progressives crying about the Radical-Right being our country’s biggest threat. What a crock! They’re so fixated on protecting their “right” to express whatever perversion they prefer that they’ll sell the whole country out to REAL killers just to defeat conservatives.

It’s the same monstrous narcissism that’s driving Murtha’s power-lust. If we don’t recognize and act against it we are doomed. It’ll take a mass movement. I pray to God that it get’s sparked soon!

So, what’s a Boston Tea Party look like these days? Any ideas?

The Ritz on February 15, 2007 at 12:00 AM

By the way,

let’s plaster that label all over this joke of a congressman. . .

“Slow-bleed Murtha”

The Ritz on February 15, 2007 at 12:06 AM

If anyone is interested and still pissed off….

Try this……..

Send my regards………

Respectfully to all…..

PinkyBigglesworth on February 15, 2007 at 1:56 AM

The legislative strategy will be supplemented by a multimillion-dollar TV ad campaign designed to pressure vulnerable GOP incumbents into breaking with President Bush and forcing the administration to admit that the war is politically unsustainable.

What war? Are we in a declared war in Iraq? Against whom? We invaded, and are now the occupiers of, Iraq. We are HELPING the Iraqi people stand up for themselves, and are fighting an externally provisioned insurgency. That’s not war, and we ARE NOT LOSING. But it’s asymmetrical, and it’s unconventional, and so it’s slow. Add to that overburdened ROE, and it’s hard. But we ARE NOT LOSING.

Murtha’s an idiot, how does he not understand that the more Troops we have, the safer they are? The less Troops we have, the more danger they’re in!

Amen Tony, I said this a week ago. If we sent a single American into Iraq, how effective and safe would he be? If we sent 50% of what should be needed, how effective and safe would they be? If we sent 125% of what should be needed, how effective and safe would they be?

I wonder if anyone in Foggybottom can handle that complex an equation.

Friends, our government, our ELECTED REPRESENTATIVES, are considering making us unsafe. My president, congressman and senators have already heard from me. Shall we not all do likewise? Blocking MSNBCBSABCNN doesn’t have as much impact as writing your politicians, but do that too.

Freelancer on February 15, 2007 at 5:19 AM

Did you heare Nancy Pelosi on the News Hour tonight?

Her goal is to END the Iraq war. PERIOD!

She claims that “The American People have spoken.”

BULL!

The American People did not called for the defeat of America in Iraq or cutting and running.

GOD DAMN all you conservatives and Republicans who sat this election out because you didn’t like Bush’s position on illegal immigration, or spending, or the war, or whatever the hell your beef with him was.

Thanks to YOU, the assholes are in power.

georgej on February 15, 2007 at 6:07 AM

This country is headed for an implosion, Ive said it before, Ill say it again, we will be divided both by party and by border before this comes to a resolve.. Id hate to see it happen but with each day the eventuality of such an outcome becomes more real. Go Red Team!

Viper1 on February 15, 2007 at 7:02 AM

smellthecoffee on February 14, 2007 at 11:47 PM

True. But I just don’t see Guliani making the cut. He needs the pro-choice, pro-gun control voters if he wants to win and he’s aready alienating them.

Lawrence on February 15, 2007 at 9:48 AM

Viper1 on February 15, 2007 at 7:02 AM

Ditto!

Lawrence on February 15, 2007 at 9:49 AM

Her goal is to END the Iraq war. PERIOD!

georgej on February 15, 2007 at 6:07 AM

Note to Pelosi: Remember that Islamo-fascist terrorists who are agressing this war. Just pulling out of the battle will not (can not) make them stop fighting us. The only way you (we) have any hope of ending this war is by defeating the enemy agressors in battle. PERIOD!

Lawrence on February 15, 2007 at 9:53 AM